32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lin Yuanto

12 37.50%
  • Dongfang Bubai

20 62.50%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dongfang Bubai vs the creator of Pixie Swordplay, Lin Yuantu

Default Dongfang Bubai vs the creator of Pixie Swordplay, Lin Yuantu

Who do you think was more powerful -- Dongfang Bubai, only master of the incomplete Sunflower Manuscript -or- Lin Yuantu, creator of the Pixie Swordplay, based on the Sunflower Manuscript.

Also could someone remind me whether Pixie Swordplay is based on the original Sunflower or semi-incomplete Sunflower?
    TC to Ken: "You need to watch the ending of ROCH 83."

Huashan stole two halves and couldn't put them together.

Lin Yuantu (still a monk) put it together in a half-assed manner that does sort of make sense. This is DFBB's KHBD.

Lin Yuantu (no longer a monk) then takes what he remembers (he turns out to be a martial arts genius on his own) and compiles it. He becomes invincible but hides the true power of the art by creating the BXJF stances. The stances are at best ordinary, but the power of his KHBD accelerates the moves into something incredible.

My opinion. If you don't use the stances of BXJF, it'll be more powerful than the incomplete KHBD, but if you use it like YBQ and LPZ did, using the stances, it'll be less powerful.
    Last edited by ChronoReverse; 08-10-06 at 01:26 AM.

Haha, so Lin Yuantu using his newly created martial art would be less powerful than not using it? Backwards progression.
    TC to Ken: "You need to watch the ending of ROCH 83."

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse
    Huashan stole two halves and couldn't put them together.

Lin Yuantu (still a monk) put it together in a half-assed manner that does sort of make sense. This is DFBB's KHBD.

Lin Yuantu (no longer a monk) then takes what he remembers (he turns out to be a martial arts genius on his own) and compiles it. He becomes invincible but hides the true power of the art by creating the BXJF stances. The stances are at best ordinary, but the power of his KHBD accelerates the moves into something incredible.

My opinion. If you don't use the stances of BXJF, it'll be more powerful than the incomplete KHBD, but if you use it like YBQ and LPZ did, using the stances, it'll be less powerful.
    Is it your opinion or did JY say that stances were added to BXJF to hide its origin? I personally think that BXJF is more pure and would lead to a higher level of power but DFBB was much better than the BXJF users because DFBB had been practicing KHBD for a much longer time and DFBB is much more talented.

What I mean is that important part of BXJF is the energy generation. That leads to extreme speed.

The moves of the sword are frankly ordinary at best (described by JY). That's why no one understood what LYT was so good. They even managed to copy his stances but did not realize it was the speed that was the power.

I can't remember at this point whether JY wrote it explicitly or not, but I'm fairly sure it's implied.

A well known maxim: under heaven, all techniques can be broken except for speed.

This is also discussed between LHC and FQY. If both adversaries have no obvious weaknesses the quickest wins.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse
    What I mean is that important part of BXJF is the energy generation. That leads to extreme speed.

The moves of the sword are frankly ordinary at best (described by JY). That's why no one understood what LYT was so good. They even managed to copy his stances but did not realize it was the speed that was the power.

I can't remember at this point whether JY wrote it explicitly or not, but I'm fairly sure it's implied.

Which begs the question. How blind were the onlookers? If LYT was so fast, it should be obvious.

Unless LYT took specific pains to be _just_ fast enough to beat whoever he is fighting. Or his 72 strokes are more flexible (i.e. He deviates slightly from it when necessary to gain the edge).

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    Which begs the question. How blind were the onlookers? If LYT was so fast, it should be obvious.
    There was no onlooker that we know of, and I don't think there was any. There were those whom he defeated but were too embarassed to tell the details, which created a myth surrounding his true power.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

d0ng funk Boobai is m0' powerful

I think LYT must of just been fast enough, because both QingCheng and Huashan could replicate the moves. LYT didn't display "superhuman blur" type of speed otherwise his 72-variations, or even some of them, couldn't have been recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT
    I think LYT must of just been fast enough, because both QingCheng and Huashan could replicate the moves.
    They learnt the moves from people in LYT's family. LPZ's father taught him the same moves all the time and there would be plenty of chances for others to copy them.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Of course! A much simpler explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    They learnt the moves from people in LYT's family. LPZ's father taught him the same moves all the time and there would be plenty of chances for others to copy them.
    Good explanation. If the Lin family is smart, they would disappear from jianghu. They should know eventually some powerful clan from wulin will attack them over the pixie sword play manual.

The novel says the master taught the current Qincheng master the moves himself. This means he must have remembered the moves from LYT. It's a nice and cleaner theory though =/

Also, it does say that even the Qincheng folks had noticed that the moves suddenly accelerated at times. However, they thought the reason the current Lin family couldn't do it was simply because they sucked at learning the internal portion. So it's not like they didn't know that PXJF had a hidden portion; they just didn't know what it took to learn it.

Note that it was "at times" or rather, key moments. This shows LYT pretty much did go as fast as needed unlike LPZ or YBQ who just sped away the entire time.