37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lin Yuanto

15 40.54%
  • Dongfang Bubai

22 59.46%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dongfang Bubai vs the creator of Pixie Swordplay, Lin Yuantu

Default Dongfang Bubai vs the creator of Pixie Swordplay, Lin Yuantu

Who do you think was more powerful -- Dongfang Bubai, only master of the incomplete Sunflower Manuscript -or- Lin Yuantu, creator of the Pixie Swordplay, based on the Sunflower Manuscript.

Also could someone remind me whether Pixie Swordplay is based on the original Sunflower or semi-incomplete Sunflower?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Huashan stole two halves and couldn't put them together.

Lin Yuantu (still a monk) put it together in a half-assed manner that does sort of make sense. This is DFBB's KHBD.

Lin Yuantu (no longer a monk) then takes what he remembers (he turns out to be a martial arts genius on his own) and compiles it. He becomes invincible but hides the true power of the art by creating the BXJF stances. The stances are at best ordinary, but the power of his KHBD accelerates the moves into something incredible.

My opinion. If you don't use the stances of BXJF, it'll be more powerful than the incomplete KHBD, but if you use it like YBQ and LPZ did, using the stances, it'll be less powerful.
    Last edited by ChronoReverse; 08-10-06 at 01:26 AM.

Haha, so Lin Yuantu using his newly created martial art would be less powerful than not using it? Backwards progression.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse
    Huashan stole two halves and couldn't put them together.

Lin Yuantu (still a monk) put it together in a half-assed manner that does sort of make sense. This is DFBB's KHBD.

Lin Yuantu (no longer a monk) then takes what he remembers (he turns out to be a martial arts genius on his own) and compiles it. He becomes invincible but hides the true power of the art by creating the BXJF stances. The stances are at best ordinary, but the power of his KHBD accelerates the moves into something incredible.

My opinion. If you don't use the stances of BXJF, it'll be more powerful than the incomplete KHBD, but if you use it like YBQ and LPZ did, using the stances, it'll be less powerful.
    Is it your opinion or did JY say that stances were added to BXJF to hide its origin? I personally think that BXJF is more pure and would lead to a higher level of power but DFBB was much better than the BXJF users because DFBB had been practicing KHBD for a much longer time and DFBB is much more talented.

What I mean is that important part of BXJF is the energy generation. That leads to extreme speed.

The moves of the sword are frankly ordinary at best (described by JY). That's why no one understood what LYT was so good. They even managed to copy his stances but did not realize it was the speed that was the power.

I can't remember at this point whether JY wrote it explicitly or not, but I'm fairly sure it's implied.

A well known maxim: under heaven, all techniques can be broken except for speed.

This is also discussed between LHC and FQY. If both adversaries have no obvious weaknesses the quickest wins.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse
    What I mean is that important part of BXJF is the energy generation. That leads to extreme speed.

The moves of the sword are frankly ordinary at best (described by JY). That's why no one understood what LYT was so good. They even managed to copy his stances but did not realize it was the speed that was the power.

I can't remember at this point whether JY wrote it explicitly or not, but I'm fairly sure it's implied.

Which begs the question. How blind were the onlookers? If LYT was so fast, it should be obvious.

Unless LYT took specific pains to be _just_ fast enough to beat whoever he is fighting. Or his 72 strokes are more flexible (i.e. He deviates slightly from it when necessary to gain the edge).

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    Which begs the question. How blind were the onlookers? If LYT was so fast, it should be obvious.
    There was no onlooker that we know of, and I don't think there was any. There were those whom he defeated but were too embarassed to tell the details, which created a myth surrounding his true power.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

d0ng funk Boobai is m0' powerful

I think LYT must of just been fast enough, because both QingCheng and Huashan could replicate the moves. LYT didn't display "superhuman blur" type of speed otherwise his 72-variations, or even some of them, couldn't have been recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT
    I think LYT must of just been fast enough, because both QingCheng and Huashan could replicate the moves.
    They learnt the moves from people in LYT's family. LPZ's father taught him the same moves all the time and there would be plenty of chances for others to copy them.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Of course! A much simpler explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    They learnt the moves from people in LYT's family. LPZ's father taught him the same moves all the time and there would be plenty of chances for others to copy them.
    Good explanation. If the Lin family is smart, they would disappear from jianghu. They should know eventually some powerful clan from wulin will attack them over the pixie sword play manual.

The novel says the master taught the current Qincheng master the moves himself. This means he must have remembered the moves from LYT. It's a nice and cleaner theory though =/

Also, it does say that even the Qincheng folks had noticed that the moves suddenly accelerated at times. However, they thought the reason the current Lin family couldn't do it was simply because they sucked at learning the internal portion. So it's not like they didn't know that PXJF had a hidden portion; they just didn't know what it took to learn it.

Note that it was "at times" or rather, key moments. This shows LYT pretty much did go as fast as needed unlike LPZ or YBQ who just sped away the entire time.

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au View Post
    d0ng funk Boobai is m0' powerful
    If you take away his super speed, he/she is not that powerful. RWX would kick his *** fair and square.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    The novel says the master taught the current Qincheng master the moves himself. This means he must have remembered the moves from LYT. It's a nice and cleaner theory though =/

Also, it does say that even the Qincheng folks had noticed that the moves suddenly accelerated at times. However, they thought the reason the current Lin family couldn't do it was simply because they sucked at learning the internal portion. So it's not like they didn't know that PXJF had a hidden portion; they just didn't know what it took to learn it.

Note that it was "at times" or rather, key moments. This shows LYT pretty much did go as fast as needed unlike LPZ or YBQ who just sped away the entire time.
    Bingo. This is exactly right. They thought there was some secret within the move that allowed it to suddenly speed up at critical junctures. They didn't realize that it wasn't a secret in the moves; the moves were crap. It was the speed/internal energy which was key to KHBD.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Given the fact that DFBB's version of KHBD was actually written/compiled by Lin Yuantu himself, and that Lin hung around for some time at least (to create the agency and have a reputation in Jianhu0, there is a good chance that Lin Yuantu was at least as powerful as DFBB or maybe more (he also had a solid kung-fu with Shaolin skills as a base even before he started KHBD).

He is probably one of the top JY experts who is often overlooked when compiling top JY fighters listings.

It is not stated explicitly, but I suppose the BIxie Jianfa manual written on the monk's robe, only contained the inner energy part? The 72 moves were probably not written on it. In such a case, BiXie Jianfa is kind of a 'fake' skill. The sword stances are just a cover up and you could use that speed with probably any other external sword art. Combining it with DG9J would be perfect.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

The version that DFBB had was a slightly incomplete version compiled by the two Huashan martial brothers who turned into enemies.... The one that Lin Yuantu had was in pieces mentioned to Monk Lin... The two brothers aren't stupid, so they only mentioned some parts and neglected others... But Monk Lin was smart and filled in the blanks the best he can and developed his variation of the KHBD. Even LHC acknowledges that his master and LPZ was far inferior to DFBB. DFBB no longer used a sword, only needles. The original version would allow the "invisible" practitioner to live to more than a hundred years.

Quote Originally Posted by szfong View Post
    The version that DFBB had was a slightly incomplete version compiled by the two Huashan martial brothers who turned into enemies.... The one that Lin Yuantu had was in pieces mentioned to Monk Lin... The two brothers aren't stupid, so they only mentioned some parts and neglected others... But Monk Lin was smart and filled in the blanks the best he can and developed his variation of the KHBD. Even LHC acknowledges that his master and LPZ was far inferior to DFBB. DFBB no longer used a sword, only needles. The original version would allow the "invisible" practitioner to live to more than a hundred years.
    Nothing in the novel indicated that the brothers intentionally left out parts.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Nothing in the novel indicated that the brothers intentionally left out parts.
    In the novel the Shaoling & Wudang leaders insinuated that in Chapter 30...

Fang Zheng nodded his head. "Correct. But originally, what the two brothers recited was not very much. But after hearing how the explanations Reverend Duyuan gave them made sense, they couldn't resist the temptation and invited him to stay at Huashan for 8 more days. But after this visit, Duyuan never returned to the Shaolin temple."