Thread: Yeh Lut Chai - where did he suddenly get the ambition to be Beggar's Union Chief?

Default Yeh Lut Chai - where did he suddenly get the ambition to be Beggar's Union Chief?

A few terms come to mind when describing the character of Yeh Lut Chai from ROCH: dutiful, responsible, moral, loyal, honest, courageous, humble. The man was kind of like a poor man's version of his father in law, Gwok Jing.

"Ambitious," however, is one word that would not describe Yeh Lut Chai; he was never the power- or prestige-hungry type.

So where did he suddenly find the ambition to become Beggar's Union Chief towards the end of ROCH?

I'm not surprised that Yeh Lut Chai took up the challenge of the martial arts contest. He was a consummate martial artist and enjoyed a good challenge. He did know, however, that if he won, he would need to assume the role of Beggar's Union Chief - a prestigious title that entailed a great amount of power and responsibility.

It doesn't seem in character for Yeh Lut Chai to pursue that, especially since the office was open only because his good friend Lo Yau Gerk, the previous Union Chief, had been murdered recently.

I have one guess. Gwok Fu must've put up to it, he may have been reluctant and too humble to step up to compete for the position but it was probably from GF's nagging and persuasion that convinced him to do it. After all Wifey knows best. All the more to add good reputation to GF and let everyone know she married a great husband. After all those years, GF would probably love the spotlight even more than ever.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    I have one guess. Gwok Fu must've put up to it, he may have been reluctant and too humble to step up to compete for the position but it was probably from GF's nagging and persuasion that convinced him to do it. After all Wifey knows best. All the more to add good reputation to GF and let everyone know she married a great husband. After all those years, GF would probably love the spotlight even more than ever.
    It seemed to be a very spontaneous decision on Yeh Lut Chai's part, but who knows?

If it was Gwok Fu's idea, for once, she had a good one: who else (not counting Yeung Gor) from that time period would have made a better qualified Beggar's Union Chief? The role was Yeh Lut Chai's long before he claimed it.

Ironically, the Beggar's Union once ousted one of its greatest chiefs because he was a Khitan.

Why is there such a big interest in YLC all of a sudden? Anyway, he was a really good guy and I think he was just trying to help the country because the begger sect was the biggest sect in wulin and could have made a big differenc in the battle against the Mongols. I don't think YLC wanted the leadership post because of honor and fame. GJ got a lot of respect for what he did but he too only did it for the people and the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    yep. GF does seem to be one of these wives that push ur hubbies to go get glory so they can show off .

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    "Ambitious," however, is one word that would not describe Yeh Lut Chai; he was never the power- or prestige-hungry type.

So where did he suddenly find the ambition to become Beggar's Union Chief towards the end of ROCH?
    He was the eldest son of the Mongol Empire's Prime Minister. His family descended from the ruling family of the Liao Empire.
    Last edited by Candide; 08-11-06 at 12:55 AM.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    He was the eldest son of the Mongol Empire's Prime Minister.
    He didn't seem to place much importance on rank and privileges, however. He was born a Mongol nobleman, but didn't seem to have any regrets about losing that status.

He was the eldest son of the Mongol Empire's Prime Minister. His family descended from the ruling family of the Liao Empire.
    Is Yet Lut a Khitan name? I thought that that the Khitan King and XF's sworn brother was also named Yet Luh.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi
    Is Yet Lut a Khitan name? I thought that that the Khitan King and XF's sworn brother was also named Yet Luh.
    Yes, it is. Yeh Lut was the surname of the ruling clan of the Khitan people. After the Liao Empire was destroyed, some of the Yeh Luts fled to the west and founded the Kara Khitai Empire in Central Asia. Other Khitan (such as Yeh Lut Chai's ancestors) became vassals of the Mongols, with whom they had some ethnic ties.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    He didn't seem to place much importance on rank and privileges, however. He was born a Mongol nobleman, but didn't seem to have any regrets about losing that status.
    Sorry please read my updated post as well.

Maybe he did not have any regret and did not show his hunger for power, but taking up important positions comes natural to these people.

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Was Yet Luh's dad still the prime minister when the Mongols began war against China? It would seem strange that ZBT would take YLC as a disciple and GY would take YLC as a son-in-law if his family were still serving the Mongolian Empire.

Was Yet Luh's dad still the prime minister when the Mongols began war against China? It would seem strange that ZBT would take YLC as a disciple and GY would take YLC as a son-in-law if his family were still serving the Mongolian Empire.
    When ROCH started, Yeh Lut Chor Choi was still in the good graces of the Mongol Empire. By the time that Yeung Gor lost his arm, however, things had changed and the Yeh Luts became personae non grata among the Mongol leadership.

ROCH doesn't match up well with history here. Yeh Lut Chor Choi found great favor with both Genghis Khan and his successor, Ogodei. Yeh Lut died two years after Ogodei did, but nothing I've read about suggests that the historical Yeh Lut Chor Choi ran afoul of the next Mongol khan.

ZBT took YLC as a disciple when his family were still with the Mongols, after the initial invasion. ZBT went looking for Guo Jing, he said, and because he thought GJ liked to be among the Mongols, he went to the Mongolian camp, and found the kid YLC. YLC was kind of similar to GJ in some ways so ZBT liked him and taught him martial arts.

The chapter in which YLC, his sister and his father appeared in ROCH is when the empress dowager of the Mongol Empire was plotting against his father, the Prime Minister, and shortly afterwards, his whole family, save YLC and his sister, was executed.

ZBT took YLC as a disciple when his family were still with the Mongols, after the initial invasion. ZBT went looking for Guo Jing, he said, and because he thought GJ liked to be among the Mongols, he went to the Mongolian camp, and found the kid YLC. YLC was kind of similar to GJ in some ways so ZBT liked him and taught him martial arts.

The chapter in which YLC, his sister and his father appeared in ROCH is when the empress dowager of the Mongol Empire was plotting against his father, the Prime Minister, and shortly afterwards, his whole family, save YLC and his sister, was executed.
    I'm kinda suprised that ZBT would take YLC as a disciple even when he was still affliated with the Mongols. As foolish as ZBT was, he seemed to take WCY's teachings seriously enough that he wouldn't have a disciple who is an enemy of China.

Why is there such a big interest in YLC all of a sudden?
    it's quite tame compared to the surging interest in the monk of the sweeping all of a sudden.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    it's quite tame compared to the surging interest in the monk of the sweeping all of a sudden.
    I thought Sweeper was always a popular subject, but now people want to know how he can handle enemies powerful enough to destroy a whole planet.