View Poll Results: who?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Duan Yanqing writing several DEEPLY CARVED words on stone with CANE

0 0%
  • Xiao Yuanshan casually able to carve TWO INCH deep words in stone with KNIFE

4 25.00%
  • He Zudao casually able to carve ONE INCH, PERFECTLY STRAIGHT go setup in stone with ROCK

6 37.50%
  • ANOTHER FEAT

6 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most impressive writing on stone

Default Most impressive writing on stone

In Jin Yong world, Who performed the most impressive writing on stone, in your opinion?

PLEASE NOTE, THIS TOPIC IS strictly ABOUT WRITING/CARVING ON STONE. THE FOLLOWING are NOT TO BE CONSIDERED:

1) LEAVING FOOTPRINT
    2) WRITING ON BRICK
    Last edited by PJ; 08-11-06 at 07:56 AM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I can't remember if the stones that Dan Yanqing and XYS carved were special stone. But I remembered the stone that HZD carved out of was extremely strong stone that was described "as hard as metal".
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

Isn't XYX's knife quite a powerful weapon if it can carve stone without breaking? How powerful was XYX when he was ambushed? Was he at XF's level yet? I would think that one would have to be pretty powerful to carve stone with a knife.

LCY & HYS on mt zhong nan
    brains beat all!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying
    LCY & HYS on mt zhong nan
    brains beat all!
    What is more BS, making a stone soft the way that LCY&HYS did or using physical power to write on a stone?

XLN who carved the famous 16-year message to YG.

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox
    XLN who carved the famous 16-year message to YG.
    How deep were those carvings? Also I think that her effort was probably less casual (more concentrating) than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi
    How powerful was XYX when he was ambushed?
    Reverend Zhiguang estimated that Xiao Yuanshan was unmatched in the realm at the time. He was much much better than Xuanci and Xiao Feng's teacher Wang Jiantong.

Was he at XF's level yet?
    Definitely not. After 30 more years of training, Xiao Yuanshan was as good as Xiao Feng. Before 30 years, when he was ambushed, I would guess that he was probably at the level of Elder Kurong and present-day Abbot Xuanci.

Also judging by the carving effort, it is perhaps slightly more impressive than Duan Yanqing's effort. Jin Yong stated that Xiao Feng's erasing of Duan Yanqing's words is much more difficult to perform.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    How deep were those carvings? Also I think that her effort was probably less casual (more concentrating) than the others.
    Of course it's less casual - she's trying to stop YG from commiting suicide here, obviously she wouldn't write with a doctor's handwriting.

And it should be at least 0.5-1 inch deep. Considering that you're carving words on an uneven granite wall, the depth must be greater than the greatest depression on the surface in order to keep the writing legible.

PLEASE NOTE, THIS TOPIC IS strictly ABOUT WRITING/CARVING ON STONE. THE FOLLOWING are NOT TO BE CONSIDERED:

1) LEAVING FOOTPRINT
    2) WRITING ON BRICK

Of course it's less casual - she's trying to stop YG from commiting suicide here, obviously she wouldn't write with a doctor's handwriting.

And it should be at least 0.5-1 inch deep. Considering that you're carving words on an uneven granite wall, the depth must be greater than the greatest depression on the surface in order to keep the writing legible.
    that's hardly as impressive as He Zudao and Xiao Yuanshan's efforts, don't you think?

that's hardly as impressive as He Zudao and Xiao Yuanshan's efforts, don't you think?
    I think not. You asked my opinion, and there you have it.

The mysterious DuGu carvings. Probably made using grass.

But assumptions aside. LCY beats all.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

I think not. You asked my opinion, and there you have it.
    OK, so explain why you think that Dragon Girl's ATTENTIVE carving effort (whose depth is never specified, and you estimate to be 0.5 to 1 inch) is more impressive than He Zudao's CASUAL 1 INCH ROCK CARVING ON METAL-HARD STONE, Duan Yanqing's DEEP CANE CARVING ON STONE, and Xiao Yuanshan's CASUAL TWO INCH KNIFE CARVING ON STONE SURFACE.

He Zu Dao was drawing lines. Take a jack-knife and carve some lines on a block of wood. Now flip the block over and try to write some words. Which is more difficult?

And moreover, He Zhu Dao's lines were erased by Jue Yuan just as effortlessly, so I was more impressed by the latter than the former.

Now, what about DYQ's and XYS's stones? What kind of stones were they?

First of all, I think that I have made a small mistake. He Zudao's carvings are somewhere between HALF INCH and ONE INCH.

He Zu Dao was drawing lines. Take a jack-knife and carve some lines on a block of wood. Now flip the block over and try to write some words. Which is more difficult?
    If I could carve on stone as easily as He Zudao, then I would have to say that carving tens of perfectly straight lines of ~1.0 inch depth is not less impressive than carving many words of unspecified depth and of unspecified straightness. If you can prove that Dragon Girl's words were carved very elegantly then it might make a difference.

But still, it was mentioned that He Zudao was certainly not trying to show off. He just casually picked up a rock and started carving perfectly straight lines on the finest metal-hard stone surface. Dragon Girl used a sword to do the carving and she presumably devoted more effort.

Furthermore, consider this statement: 他随手以一块尖石挥划,竟然深陷盈寸,这份内功实是世间罕有 ... 他这手划石为局的惊人绝技一露,天鸣、无色、无相以及心禅堂七老无不面面相觑,心下骇然。天鸣方丈知道此人 这般浑雄的内力寺中无一人及得

How deep you can carve on the surface is internal energy-dependent. He Zudao's internal energy was described to be extremely rare in the realm. We know that Dragon Girl's internal foundation is not that great. So it may be reasonable to consider that her carving would not be as impressive as He Zudao's./

I do grant Dragon Girl some respect for her effort because she was poisoned when she did the carving. I think it is fair to cancel her poison with He Zudao's casuality.

And moreover, He Zhu Dao's lines were erased by Jue Yuan just as effortlessly, so I was more impressed by the latter than the former.
    2 comments.

1) the erasing was anything but effortless. it was excruciatingly painful for Jueyuan to perform, and he required the help of a 400 pound bucket.

2) we cannot say that Jue Yuan would not be able to erase Dragon Girl's carvings just as "easily."

Now, what about DYQ's and XYS's stones? What kind of stones were they?
    Description of Xiao Yuanshan's effort: 那辽人突然间仰天长啸,从地下拾起一柄短刀,在山峰的石壁上划起字来 ... 那时四下里寂静无声,但听得石壁上嗤嗤有声,石屑落地的声音竟也听得见 ... 那些契彤文字深入石中,几及两寸,他以一柄短刀随意刻划而成,单是这份手劲,我看便已独步天下 ,无人能及。
    智光大师道:「当年我们拓了下来,求雁门关内识得契丹文字之人解说,连问数人,意思都是一般,想必是不错的 了。萧施主,这一行字说道:『峰儿周岁,偕妻往外婆家赴宴,途中突遇南朝大盗……』」萧峰听到这里,心中更 是一酸,听智光继续说道:「『事出仓促,妻儿为盗所害,作亦不欲再活人世。作受业恩师乃南朝汉人,余在师前 曾立誓不杀汉人,岂知今日一杀十余,既愧且痛,死後亦无面目以见恩师矣。萧远山绝笔。』」

-Xiao Yuanshan did write more words than Dragon Girl.

Description of Duan Yanqing's effort: 伸出铁棒,在地下青石板上写道:“阁下和我何仇。既杀吾徒,又来坏我大事。” 但听得嗤嗤响声不绝,竟如是在沙中写字一般,十六个字每一笔都深入石里

Description of Xiao Yuanshan's effort: 那辽人突然间仰天长啸,从地下拾起一柄短刀,在山峰的石壁上划起字来 ... 那时四下里寂静无声,但听得石壁上嗤嗤有声,石屑落地的声音竟也听得见 ... 那些契彤文字深入石中,几及两寸,他以一柄短刀随意刻划而成,单是这份手劲,我看便已独步天下 ,无人能及。
    智光大师道:「当年我们拓了下来,求雁门关内识得契丹文字之人解说,连问数人,意思都是一般,想必是不错的 了。萧施主,这一行字说道:『峰儿周岁,偕妻往外婆家赴宴,途中突遇南朝大盗……』」萧峰听到这里,心中更 是一酸,听智光继续说道:「『事出仓促,妻儿为盗所害,作亦不欲再活人世。作受业恩师乃南朝汉人,余在师前 曾立誓不杀汉人,岂知今日一杀十余,既愧且痛,死後亦无面目以见恩师矣。萧远山绝笔。』」

-Xiao Yuanshan did write more words than Dragon Girl.

Description of Duan Yanqing's effort: 伸出铁棒,在地下青石板上写道:“阁下和我何仇。既杀吾徒,又来坏我大事。” 但听得嗤嗤响声不绝,竟如是在沙中写字一般,十六个字每一笔都深入石里
    Now prove that the density of the abovementioned stones exceed that of granite.

Look, the mere act of carving out words even in granite isn't impressive. Even normal people can carve out letters in stone. As long as a weapon is used for carving, it simply isn't impressive.

It is being able to something soft, such as a finger, to carve out words in stone that is impressive

However, smoothly making marks is indeed more impressive than carving. Regardless of how hard stone is, stone is brittle. Carving takes advantage of that so shape things out. To be able to slice through with a smooth motion however requires pure internal energy.
    Last edited by ChronoReverse; 08-11-06 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse
    Look, the mere act of carving out words even in granite isn't impressive.
    Then look again. This thread is a question of personal opinion. You may think it's not impressive, but I like to be impressed by things others don't usually get impressed with.

Then it's pointless to discuss this topic. Even though every one has an opinion, to have a discussion it must be a relevant one.

I'm impressed by Michelangelo's ability to carve stone. His carvings are way above carving words.