Thread: Deric Wan

Default Deric Wan

I see there are no threads on this guy. I'm amazed!!! This guy is simply one of the best TVB actors and one of its most versatile.

Hope he does more TVB series in the future because they need someone with his talent. Seems to come and go like Eddie Kwan.

http://www.lovehkfilm.com/people/wan_deric.htm
    Last edited by Ronaldo07; 08-11-06 at 08:20 AM.
    Have you come here to play Jesus?

ahh!! about time Deric gets a thread! Thanks for getting it started. I love this guy! Yes he's simply one of the best TVB actors out there. Who can forget the brilliant villian genius he was in Misleading Track? And agreed, he definitely deserves more TVB series in the future with such a talent. But we all know how stupid TVB can be at times..

I think if the new series commerating HK 10th anniversary return to China "The Changing Times" is in need of a genius villian - they should give Deric a shot. His performance in Misleading Track has never seized to impress me and earn my praises, and so are his other series. Im pretty sure many would agree with me.

Smile

Prefer his older series like Vengeance and A Good Match from Heaven. Lately seen him in Taiwanese series like At the Dolphin Bay plus 100% Senorita. Also, there's an older ancient movie Eight Immortals which he's in it. That was a great movie starring Adam Cheng, Rosamund Kwan, Sandra Ng & Ng Man Tat. Gotta re-watch it one of these days...
    Alec Vicki, Raymond Michelle, Bosco Myolie

*Currently watching*
    Fantasy Hotel
    Life Made Simple
    Gentle Crackdown

Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldo07
    I see there are no threads on this guy. I'm amazed!!! This guy is simply one of the best TVB actors and one of its most versatile.

Hope he does more TVB series in the future because they need someone with his talent. Seems to come and go like Eddie Kwan.

http://www.lovehkfilm.com/people/wan_deric.htm
    Yeah. You know the series Vigilante in the Mask? It almost seem like a reunion of actors...I mean Eddie Kwan and Deric Wan were actors from the same generation and probably been in tv series together, although I don't recall it, perhaps I never seen them in a series together before Vigilante in the Mask. But Eddie Kwan and Savio Tsang (who played the bad guy who worked for Kenneth Ma - Au Yeung Hing from the series) both were in Rise of the Taichi Master together. Vigilante in the Mask would've been a good series had been better plotted. Again TVB has shown poor use of talented actors.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    Yeah. You know the series Vigilante in the Mask? It almost seem like a reunion of actors...I mean Eddie Kwan and Deric Wan were actors from the same generation and probably been in tv series together, although I don't recall it, perhaps I never seen them in a series together before Vigilante in the Mask. But Eddie Kwan and Savio Tsang (who played the bad guy who worked for Kenneth Ma - Au Yeung Hing from the series) both were in Rise of the Taichi Master together. Vigilante in the Mask would've been a good series had been better plotted. Again TVB has shown poor use of talented actors.

That series was just a joke. Y'know its gonna be cr*p when characters are named after hong kong places. Heard that they stopped showing it in Hong Kong midway through because of how rubbish it was. First time that's happened right?

Too be honest, i don't really recall his performances in Looking Back In Anger and 'The Blood of Good & Evil' (his most famous roles) as i was a bit too young but i do remember him in 'One Step Beyond', 'The Breaking Point' and 'Heroes From Shaolin'. That's when he became one of my favourite actors.

There's always something likeable about him, there's a certain charm to him, even if he plays the bad guy.
    Have you come here to play Jesus?

oh wow that's so funny--

I suddenly had an urge to rewatch "blood of good and evil" last few days -- and there is a thread on deric....

this is my favorite all time long chapter series---Deric was so cool and handsome in this series---..his crying and emotinal scenes with "junggong" ( the raised up dad) were amazing! but jungong is known to be a great actor! the development of his character in the beginning of the series to the end was well written..not rushed..(like most tvb series nowadays)..or overlyexagerrated like in "threshold of era" where it was so exagerrated with sunny turned so evil,etc..loved threshold but some parts were just so ridulous)...

TVB has made alot of long chapter series with a lot of good male leads but in my mind Deric's character in "blood of good and evil" to me is the most unique---TVB hasn't written a series with such an unique character in a long time with a unique personality..heck I like the character so much that i think they should remake the series but then i don't know who can play derek's and "junggong"s role the way they did---there acting was amazing..

But i have to admit I like deric's old performances more htan the recent--yeah viligante was soooo ridiculous, that movie with sonija wasn't great either, and i didn't really like his chracter in golden faith.....

where is he now? on a "personal" thing he's had so much bad relationships---divorce with his wife, breakup with sonija, etc..

does anyone remember why he left tvb in the first place? many years ago he played the villian in that serie with leon lai, and was that the "last" series he was as a contracted artist?---
    Last edited by sufan; 08-26-06 at 10:08 AM.

Ya, he is a great actor. I like him in those bad guy roles

I love this guy, Deric. Honestly, he is one of the best and most talented actors TVB ever had. He can play good and bad roles equally well, although I love him more as an evil person. But he is really great in his acting, and he is nice looking with that charisma. Totally irresistable!

By the way, does anyone here know of any great English websites for Deric, as I can't find anything. Thanks!

Finally a Forum dedicated to this talented artist, great songwriter and singer, one of the most versatile actors of all time (and unfortunately one of the most underated artists imho)!

I watched him the first time as the handsome "Uncle Rain" in the TVB-Serie Vengeance. This serie is one of the greatest series and my favourite! I was very young back then, but his character of "Uncle Rain" really impressed me, that he embodied the perfect dream-man for me. Later i learned, that he is mostly famous for his roles in Looking Back in Anger and Blood of Good and Evil. Both are classic series and i watched them recently. I admire his talent, he can play any roles convincing and the Movie-Industrie should give such a talented guy more roles. But, as someone has already pointed out, TVB can be sometimes very stupid...

I also like his voice. He's got a very mature, clear and beautiful voice. Though i can't call me a big fan of any singer, he's got definitely one of the most beautiful, hot voice of all and i mean not only his singing voice. And the fact, that he writes and composes most of his songs, earned my deep respect for his work.

In his twenties, he was more cute and soft-looking with his baby-face (but despite this fact, he could pull out the role of the baddy ind Looking back in Anger so well, that i'd like to throw sth at him...), but with the years passing by, he looks more and more mature and very handsome like in Blood of Good and Evil, Vengeance or All about Tin. Even now he is a very handsome man.

Many, especially those of the earlier generation, know him portraying evil roles, but there are plenty of series, in which he played the good guy like in Vengeance, Blood of Good and Evil, All about Tin, Heroes from Shaolin or War of the Dragon. He can also be the Prince Charming as well.
    I've seen Breaking Point too, and he was so evil there. Unfortunately he played the role too convincing. But if Deric didn't pull out his role so well, Leon Lai couldn't shine more in his role as the good guy (though i like Leon too, but i don't think of him as a good actor). Though Deric matches him in good looks and singing, Leon Lai could surpass him because of his good role in Breaking Point. Pity, pity... For me, it doesn't matter if Deric plays the good or the bad guy, i admire him for his versatility. It's a stupid thing to think, that the role an actor played is really him.

I hope to see more of him and that he will be more acknowledged for his talent.
    Last edited by Sakura_no_Hana; 08-10-08 at 11:19 AM.

@whitelily:Take a look at dericwan.com. It's the only English Site i know...^^

Quote Originally Posted by sufan View Post
    oh wow that's so funny--

I suddenly had an urge to rewatch "blood of good and evil" last few days -- and there is a thread on deric....

this is my favorite all time long chapter series---Deric was so cool and handsome in this series---..his crying and emotinal scenes with "junggong" ( the raised up dad) were amazing! but jungong is known to be a great actor! the development of his character in the beginning of the series to the end was well written..not rushed..(like most tvb series nowadays)..or overlyexagerrated like in "threshold of era" where it was so exagerrated with sunny turned so evil,etc..loved threshold but some parts were just so ridulous)...

TVB has made alot of long chapter series with a lot of good male leads but in my mind Deric's character in "blood of good and evil" to me is the most unique---TVB hasn't written a series with such an unique character in a long time with a unique personality..heck I like the character so much that i think they should remake the series but then i don't know who can play derek's and "junggong"s role the way they did---there acting was amazing..

But i have to admit I like deric's old performances more htan the recent--yeah viligante was soooo ridiculous, that movie with sonija wasn't great either, and i didn't really like his chracter in golden faith.....

where is he now? on a "personal" thing he's had so much bad relationships---divorce with his wife, breakup with sonija, etc..

does anyone remember why he left tvb in the first place? many years ago he played the villian in that serie with leon lai, and was that the "last" series he was as a contracted artist?---
    You are right, the old Series are the best. Unfortunately most of the recent series don't have such good story plots and uniqueness as the old ones have. I've always got the feeling that they rushed through the story and that there are no development of the characters. Also, the actors/actresses of the newer generation are mostly not very good in acting, they don't possess sth unique in appearance and acting... What a pity. This is why i prefer to watch the older series.
    Last edited by Sakura_no_Hana; 08-10-08 at 11:14 AM.

I hope he returns to film something for TVB. He's definitly one the most versatile and talent actors they've had. He can play any role convincingly, whether it be good, bad, evil, funny...He has a certain charisma and it comes through in all the characters he plays.

He's a handsome and talented actor! I like him very much in Heroes From Shaolin (with Noel Leung Siu Bing) and All About Tin (with Catherine Hung Yan). I watched those series again and again without being bored! Any news lately about his current movie or TV series? Anybody knows who he's dating now after the break up with Sonja Kwok?

was just looking around tudou didn't know he did so much china/taiwan series when he wans't with tvb, tudou there like alot of his dramas. too bad they're in mandarin and not cantonese.

and recently since yeah it's summer and nowadays how tvb series are quite boring, back in the 90s and early 00s i just watch whatever tvb series are out at rentals but nowaday im very selective and now i hardly watch any tvb (except if it's a intersting story tha tmakes me want to watch it or it has raymond lam in it) nowadays tvb series just aren't as good.

anways back with deric wan, recently i watch back most of his old dramas, just realized that his dramas, he tend to have not happy endings, of course if he plays the bad guy we won't expect to have a good/happy ending but even when he play the good guy he doens't get a happy-ever-after type of ending.

let's start with the ones i watch

the legend of master chan - okay this is a rare one, b/c he actually have a happy ending but this drama throughout was meant to be funny and lighthearted

looking back in anger - okay evil role, we won't expect a happy ending

war of the dragon - okay so he used like about 10 years to get this girl love and was at the church to finally marry but then he know that the girl he was about to marry still love his "brother" back when they were traid....quite sad but love how he know that since she doens't love him, it's better to let it go

blood of good and evil - i guess we will agree that this is a happy ending but yeah not the typical really happily-ever-after since we know maggie turn blind.

the breaking point - evil role, so same as looking back in anger, something i want to note, not sure if anyone would feel the same as me, i mean before he turn evil, i mean geez really compare him and leon character then, i dont' get why kathy character actually like leon, deric was doing find in his career and he really was sincere to kathy and they were even about to get engaged , i dont' know when i was watching i actually hated kathy character than deric's

one step beyond - watching now, just started ep 1, i recall watching it before but dont' have much memory of it as i was very young back then. so can't say much about this one yet.

on the edge - files sitting on my comp, will watch when i finish the others one, this also have liek francis ng and michael tao and sheran tang

vengeance - okay so he kept his promise that he would leave her if she lies and plot her revenge again, yeah even though the ending kinda imply that they will get together soon but still at the end just leave a feeling that wish they were together like actually saw each other eye to eye, but i guess leaving this ending makes us remember the drama more.

the commandments - one of my favorite series of deric!! and i guess that is probbaly the happiest ending he have for a series. love it.

heroes from shaolin - worst ending for me!! i just feel so bad for gigi!!! omggg but u can tell he was kinda sad (cant' find the word to express it) but u know what i mean if u had watch it, he suggested that all three of them can live together but then noel turns very old and ended up leaving but at least we think him and gigi will be togetehr but then he goes to be a monk >.< , this i like the gigi/deric pairing, i never feel any connection between noel/deric pairing (even though im a big noel fan)

all about tin - same as heroes from shaolin, picking the wrong girl!! i love the ada/deric pairing ...

conscience - okay so amy and deric never held a wedding ceremony right at the end? and how he turn back how he was in the beginning in the drama or even worst

a good match from heaven - this is debatable, but for me it wasn't a happy ending b/c while i watch the drama i actually like the jeses/deric pairing over amy/deric pariing, b/c at the ending when the amy/deric happy ever after ending (when they getting marry), didn't make me felt one bit happy.....and how the ending ended, just wish there was something more.

outburst - will re-watch soon, same with one step beyond, watch it but cant recall anything...so not much to say about this one

good against evil - i love this drama, and probably b/c it ended with a happy ending, which is rare for a deric drama except taht he went to jail before he get marry hehe

golden faith - might think about re-watching this one i have time

vigilante in the mask - the girl can't recall him, i actually like this drama, but there were so many bad reviews saying this drama is a joke, i guess i like it b/c it wasn't that serious

legend of love - didnt' like the story that much, but yeah good ending for him, at least it not like the real story

misleading track - his villian role again so of course no happy ending.

i'm also watching his other drama that also have felix wong it was back in 2000 called No Choice or No way of Turning Back? not sure if he's a villian in this drama or not, since i can't find any info on it as im only on ep 2.

+ if anyone insterested in his old sitcom with irene wan and ha yu ( i guess for those who wanted them to get together in vengeance they will get the chance here, i didn't really catch every episode, but now they are re-broadcasting this (since april 2009 - and this will last till late august/early sept!) have like 117 episodes (20 minutes each) 6am hong kong time -tvb jade channel. so 3pm california time

and if anyone know where i can get these on vcd/dvd or watach online (in canto) please let me know

- legend of the dragon pearl 走路新郎哥 (1990) been trying to watch it agian b/c i recall it being funnny, it's with michael tao and joe cheng i think.

-twseries emperor hong hei (1999)

- and anyone have more info on his drama "the cop story 零點出擊(1990)"? with pauline yeung?

wish he would come back to tvb to film series agian even though tvb series scripts are getting worse
    Aaron Yan Mike He
    Yamapi Kim HyunJoong Lee Joon Lee HongKi

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura_no_Hana View Post
    You are right, the old Series are the best. Unfortunately most of the recent series don't have such good story plots and uniqueness as the old ones have. I've always got the feeling that they rushed through the story and that there are no development of the characters. Also, the actors/actresses of the newer generation are mostly not very good in acting, they don't possess sth unique in appearance and acting... What a pity. This is why i prefer to watch the older series.
    Hi,I like the older series also as they were far more entertaining. You just sit there and be mesmerised and just don't want to leave your seat. I have seen quite a few of Derec Wan's drama series and my favourite has got to be " Yee But Yun Ching" with Kathy Chow, Maggie Siu, Wong Yat Wah. Derec could not have played a better villain. I hated the character of Ding Yau Hong. Someone who could even think of killing his own foster mother (played by So Hung Suen) must have been totally evil. I wonder did he lose some fans after that series. The other one I liked was "The Breaking Point" with Leon which will be shown again very shortly. That was also a good one. "Blood of Good and Evil" was good but in a different way. I think he is good at playing the bad guy and the good. I cannot decide which I like most but all in all, I just like him a lot. Unfortunately I have no idea what he's doing lately ....

Deric is simply the best, TVB talented actor that hard to find nowadays. Too bad he left TVB, his last TVB series is Misleading Track (2005), not really impressed with this drama

Deric's memorable TVB series of all time and had boosted his career as TVB Siu Sang in late 80's & early 90's era => Looking Back In Anger-1989 (as Ting Yau Hong), Blood Of Good And Evil-1990 (as Chai Hou Nam), The Breaking Point-1991 (as Ko Tin Chun)

Quote Originally Posted by nancie View Post
    - and anyone have more info on his drama "the cop story 零點出擊(1990)"? with pauline yeung?

wish he would come back to tvb to film series agian even though tvb series scripts are getting worse
    The Cop Story (1990), he's a cop, at the first he's dating Tse Ning (bar owner) then he meets Pauline (lawyer). Don't remember exactly about the plot, but pretty sure Deric & Pauline have happy ending here.

I notice most of TVB 80 & early 90's series have open/tragic ending, rarely to see happy ever after story ala current production. Never mind for me as long as the plot/storyline is interesting, original and have unpredictable ending
    IMO, talking about quality sorry to say Golden Faith is nothing compared than Looking Back In Anger & Blood of Good and Evil.

Cool Deric Wan

Hello there, i am a ardent fan of Deric Wan and would like to know if someone out here can help me by letting me know where i can download all of deric wan's movies and tvb series, He released a few albums and iwould like to know where i can buy his cds. I only have 2 cassettes purchased when i was much younger. If there is anyolne who is willing to sell cd's or movies/ series, please let me know. he is such a fine fine actor, full of charisma and a wonderful singer.

I really hope that someone can help me out here.

Cassandra Yong(Penang, Malaysia)

Hello There ! Could someone tell me where i cna download the old series as well as the new ones? I would love to watch all of it all over again. He is my favourite TVB actor of all time. I would like to know if I can buy mp3's of his songs. Do let me know if there si a site where i can find them