Thread: The Lost Era: Retrieval of the Dragon

Default The Lost Era: Retrieval of the Dragon

Since it's summer and I just reread a short story that my brother wrote on his laptop during his 4 years in college (I guess listening to lectures can be really boring). Basically he wrote about the lectures and put characters into the history. The original story is written in Chinese. With my lack of Chinese over the years, I resorted to using a program to translate (I then edited it to make sense). I translated the first part--if anyone is interested I will translate more with your support. Hopefully, it isn't boring because of the history. My bro gave me the story and said I could change some of the stuff so it would make sense. Please help if there are errors especially grammar, pinyin, etc.

Author:
    Kevin Hei (not full name--he doesn't want his full name on here)

Translated by
    hkopinions (me)

Title: The Lost Era: Retrieval of the Dragon

Prologue

The civil war that brought the short-lived Ch’in dynasty down led China on a different path allowing China to establish a stable dynasty. However, this new era of harmony fell into discord and then again into a new harmony of social, economical, and cultural splendor. During this long era of the aristocratic age, a small class of great families held onto much of the wealth, politics, and military power. The “Han people” rose to a new caliber and social distinguish differentiating others who had not assimilated into “the new Chinese cultural order.”

The “Exalted Progenitor,” Kao-tsu—a commoner gained control through his strong character and took China into a new order. Heeding the words of his advisor: “You may have conquered the empire on horseback, but you cannot rule it on horseback.,” Kao-tsu established a strong central government where trusted advisors enacted policies with thorough consultation of the court. More or less, Kao-tsu created an imperial familial administration and bureaucracy. With the accession of Emperor Wu-ti, the seven princes of China were stripped of power and decreed equal distribution of wealth to all generations creating a much weaker princedom with few attaining nobility status. Beginning his military conquests, Wu-ti expanded China to a new splendor and greatness. However, with Wu-ti’s death in 87 BC, the court became overrun by child emperors—leading to the rise of power of Wang Mang. Wang Mang, with the support of many, became the Duke of Chou and established “Xin.”
    Last edited by hkopinions; 08-14-06 at 09:41 PM.

Chapter 1: A New Beginning

A fair-skinned woman sat threading at an open window in the Eastern Chambers. Her fingers moved the delicate thread in intricate patterns unlike ones seen on a common lotus. Letting out a heavy sigh, she put down her piece and unthreaded her laborious work. Although it has only been three moons pass her 30th birthday, her eyesight has failed her. Now, unable to distinguish colors or see across the room, she slowly placed her face on the window sill and shed tears. Her maid seeing that her madam in such a desolate mood poured some tea and offered the cup to the woman. The maid then began smoothing out her madam’s hair and drying up her tears.

“Madam, are you reminiscing events of the past?”

The woman did not reply and picked up work and began threading again. She slowing felt the smooth cloth and rethreaded the lotus flower.

“Madam, the weather is frightening. Let me dress you into something more warmly. Master will not have it that you become sick again. Every winter, you suffer from the same sickness.”

The maid quietly walked out of the room and reentered with heavier clothing for her lady. Before she could undress her madam, the madam pricked her finger on her needle and let out a loud cry dropping her work to the floor. The maid quickly bound her lady’s finger with a handkerchief and belt over to pick up the lotus work.. As the maid knelt down to pick up her lady’s work, the madam let out a low cough. The maid felt a warm liquid slowly running down from her forehead. She quickly wiped off her forehead with her fingers. To her horror, the liquid was dark red. Looking up, her madam let out a satisfying smile and fell on top of her maid.

The sound of horse hooves can be heard from over two lis from this place. “The Retreating Rivers Inn” is a peculiar place. To the east and west are endless mountains and to the north is Xiapi Ravine, an endless pit of darkness overgrown with thousands of weeds and grasses—inhabited by numerous insects, creatures, and birds. The surrounding creates a channel that allows sound to pass through the mountains and end at Retreating Rivers Inn—making any sound from the distant roads echo. Therefore, if one were to sit quietly in the inn and two men are two lis away talking about how one of the men’s wife just had a child, one would hear the conversation just as if one were within ten meters of the conversation.

A young dark-faced man stood at the opening of the inn. His arms outstretched grabbing hold of the opening’s supports, he swayed his body back and forth and hummed a cheerful tune. This youth had dark skin, tanned by the endless beating of the sun. His coarse hands clenched on the top support tightly and he slowly lifted his body off the ground as if he was displaying his strength. Giving a loud grunt, the young man dropped back down and stood erect with his eyes glistening towards the dusty road in the south. Putting one hand on his hips and the other arm outstretch towards the road, the youth laughed. From behind the counter, a delicate refined voice gave orders to an old man—dwarf-like in appearance to collect the dirty dishes.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/hkopinions/Xiu-erMain_edited.jpg')

“Xiu-er, come help your uncle with the dishes. Stop daydreaming.”

The young man turned around and ran towards the middle aged woman. The woman looked forty-something but her voice and voice were still young. She had a sharp nose, fair skin, and long silky black hair reaching her thighs. She wore a dark grey robe but her precious figure made no notice.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/hkopinions/auntie6main_edited.jpg')

“Auntie Six, look at the south. I wonder when I will be able to travel there.”

“Did you hear the conversation just now? A dumb boy had exchanged his horse for a cart to another man. After pulling the cart for some time, the boy felt that it required too much strength so demanded his horse back. Who would have though that the man would cheat the boy out of the cart for a lighter item, a pick.. Ha, ha, ha.”

The young man grabbed his abdomen and laughed again. He then started to clear off the tables but continued to shake his head in laughter.

“What a dumb cabbage.” [unsure about this word]

“Who are you calling a dumb cabbage Xiu-er? Who was the one who exchanged a week’s worth of fees for stories of the south to a total stranger? This stranger is still sleeping at our inn without paying a cent.”

Xiu-er turned around and eyed his uncle. Leaping across a chair, he sat down next to his uncle. Although Xiu-er was sitting, his uncle only reached his ears. Uncle Xin had deep swollen eyes. His face wore a thick beard reaching to his chest. However, this man had no hair. Standing next to his nephew, Uncle Xin felt intimidated by his nephew’s arrogance and strong built. Xiu-er was already a tall lad. Five years ago, Xiu-er was already a head taller than him. Now in his early twenties, Auntie Six stood well below his shoulders. Turning to his nephew, Uncle Xin let out a heavy sigh.

“Xiu-er, you are young and lack experience. Your arrogance will only hurt you. In my youth, I was naïve and arrogant. Not listening to others, I find myself here waiting tables and taking care of a troublesome lad. Your uncle in hisyounger days was …”

Uncle Xin began mumbling under his breath and continued cleaning the dishes. He stacked them up carefully and carried them in front of him. There were more than a hundred dished in his left hand. With his right hand, he grabbed a dirty rag and threw it at Xiu-er.

“Hurry and wash the tables. Auntie Four will be down in a minute for your studies.”

Uncle Xin then left the room quickly with the dishes still in his left hand. The pile did not even sway due to the height.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/hkopinions/unclexin1_edited.jpg')

The sound of heavy footsteps was heard coming down the stairs. Xiu-er turned around and grinned.

“Ah, Master Li is awake. Come down and wake up to some wine.”

Xiu-er hurried to the left shelves and grabbed a gourd of wine. Auntie Six turned and frowned.

“Not Master Li but Drunkard Li!”

Shaking her head at Xiu-er, Auntie Six turned around and went inside the kitchen. Xiu-er also grabbed a couple dishes of food and put them in front of Master Li. He then sat down next to the man.

“You know she is right. I don’t deserve the title of Master Li.”

This man wore a dirty blue overcoat and had the heavy stench of wine. His face—tired and wrinkled. Looking much older than sixty but barely forty years of age, Master Li grabbed the gourd and tried to pour a cup of wine. However, the years of drinking and leading a wasted life could not stop his hands from shaking. Xiu-er grinned again and grabbed the gourd and poured a cup of wine for Master Li.

“Ah, Xiu-er your auntie is mad at you again. Don’t worry when I get back on track and my servants come back from Ch'ang-an, I will..”

“..repay you a thousand folds what I owe. Yes, yes. I know”

Master Li repeated these same lines every day for the pass week. Xiu-er had grown accustom to the man’s behavior. Sixteen years ago, Master Li had visited Retreating Rivers Inn on one of his supposed business trips with two other female guests. He ended up staying here for over two years. During the first two years, Master Li would spend most of his time in his room writing poetry. However, last winter, Master Li woke up the entire inn with his screams and cries. He burned all of his work and began drinking heavily. His two female companions mysteriously disappeared one week after that night. However, Master Li did not leave the inn. Instead, he ended staying here for over 16 years in the same chambers that was originally occupied by his female companions. Auntie Six and the others never inquired why Master Li stayed for so long. Since Master Li continued paying his expenses up until one week ago, they never asked. Even if asked, who would to say that Master Li would answer them at his current state—a complete drunkard. Xiu-er was only seven years old then that winter. Looking at Master Li amused him. How could the refined guest he had met years ago turn into such a wretch. Gazing into Master Li’s eyes, Xiu-er remembered seeing Master Li for the first time—cleanly shaved man with a strong built and proud eyes. He had spent years studying at the capital and was versed in all forms. His words were strong and often recited his personal works at night. Xiu-er remembered that he had snuck out one night intending to steal his uncle’s beloved bird to play with, instead he discovered Auntie Six next to a window sill sighing deeply—completely in tears from Master Li’s words. The present Master Li was completely different. One would not know that the two were one. Here is a drunkard, a weak drunkard, who could not finish a gourd without collapsing. Xiu-er found Master Li amusing because in his drunk stage, he would tell stories of his travels to Xiu-er, a lad who has never left this valley since his birth. Xiu-er yearned for the outside world. Master Li and the conversations from travelers and the inn opened a doorway to the outside world.

“The lotus cries in deep agony. The rivers carry you to eternity…Is there no justice?”

Master Li had drunk himself asleep again.

Xiu-er counted, “One, two, three. Three cups before this man passed out.”

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/hkopinions/masterli_edited.jpg')

Giving a heavy sigh of disappointment, Xiu-er blamed himself for not being able to ask the man to tell more stories. Auntie Six entered the main dining area again hold a stack of books.

“Xiu-er, Auntie Four cannot come down today. Bring some hot tea to her and begin your studies in her quarters.”

Obediently Xiu-er complied. Grabbing the books on the way, Xiu-er turned towards Master Li and cursed,

“What would a dumb egg like me every amount too? A great man such as Master Li also..”

Auntie Six was about to rebuke him but turned towards Master Li and bit her lower lip. She slowly walked over to Master Li. Xiu-er continued up to the western quarters to see Auntie Four.

Xiu-er paused outside of Auntie Four’s quarters pressing his face against the panels. He could hear her breathing quietly beside the window. Knocking three times before pushing the doors open, Xiu-er smiled at the young woman near the window. Although he had called her Auntie Four, she was actually younger than him by several years. Auntie Four sat quietly at the window and combed her long black hair. Seeing Xiu-er enter, she instructed him to sit down and begin reading verses. Xiu-er obediently sat down and began his studies. However, he could not stop catching a glimpse at his Auntie every so often.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/hkopinions/auntio4_edited.jpg')

Auntie Four came to Retreating Rivers Inn six years after Master Li. She came seeking shelter from the cold and ended up staying until. Because of her innocence, Auntie Six allowed her to stay. Xiu-er initially began calling her little sister but because of some circumstances with his uncle, she became Auntie Four. Since Uncle Xin was ranked third, he had taken a liking to Auntie Four. They shared the same similarities often thinking about the past and regrets. Because of Uncle Xin’s nature and not liking people knowing his age compared to Xiu-er’s aunts, Uncle Three became Uncle Xin. Auntie Four became his sworn sister and her real name forgotten by the rest of the people at Retreating Rivers Inn. Xiu-er had always obediently abided by his aunt’s teachings. Although she was younger than him, she was very cultured and learned in poetry, music, the arts, etc. For many years, she had been Xiu-er’s teacher teaching him how to be a gentleman. Xiu-er would sit and listen attentively to her words. Because of her quiet nature, no one implored about her past. All Xiu-er knew about his aunt was she was in a tragic state when she came to the inn. She had no money and no family. The poor girl even forgot her own name or forced herself to forget her name. Auntie Six was not a person that cared about ranking and continued to call her Fourth sister even when she was young enough to be her own daughter. Auntie Four rarely came out of her quarters—Xiu-er saw her every day when he brought her food or took lessons from her. In this manner, Auntie Four taught Xiu-er in the same yellow embroidered dress she had worn the day he first met her. In fact, Auntie Four looked the same as she did years ago.

With a mournful tone, Auntie turned towards Xiu-er.
    “If I were to die today, will Master Liu come by my bedside and hold me?”

Xiu-er did not have a chance to reply because from the initial shock of her words. Auntie Four sternly told Xiu-er to leave and that she was tired. In the past, Auntie Four would occasionally blurt out nonsense but this was the first time she talked about death. Not knowing what to do in the situation, Xiu-er complied and left. Although his aunt said those words, he did not take it to heart because of her nature. No one knew what she was thinking and no one ever asked.

end of chapter 1
    Last edited by hkopinions; 08-14-06 at 10:22 PM.

My meager attempt to sketch these. I have never been good at drawing hands, arms, muscles, etc. Ill try to draw characters to make the story more vivid.
    Last edited by hkopinions; 08-14-06 at 09:59 PM.

Umm, translation is getting difficult. I had to eliminate a poem that Master Li wrote cause the darn program won't translate it correctly.
    Last edited by hkopinions; 08-14-06 at 10:23 PM.

I'm impressed. This is high quality writing. The beginning grabbed my attention without being cliched and stupid, like many wuxia novel beginnings. The story obviously starts out small, and we're allowed to know all the characters. Keep it up, I want to read the rest of the story!

dius corvus

Thanx, one reader. So I plan to do some sketches. Hmm the first two suck so I am only doing black and white. I plan to make Xiu-er look like Raymond Lam or Louis Koo--the arrogant look in the ASITP and the Ching Emperor.

K here are the final sketches.
    Last edited by hkopinions; 08-14-06 at 10:00 PM.

Chapter 2: Remember Red Autumn

It was autumn but the weather was warmer than usual. Xiu-er decided to stroll along Xiapi Ravine. Because of its endless grassland, on one side and the bottomless pit on the other side, it became a boy’s playing ground. Growing up in this area had been extremely difficult for Xiu-er. The only friends he made were passers who rarely stayed for more than a night. Once, Xiu-er had befriended a lad his age and they quickly became friends. Xiu-er loved to play tricks and enjoyed roaming while his friend agreed to all of his mischievous plans. However, this friend soon left with his caravan to continue his journey. Within 50 lis, there were no towns or yet a living soul. The shortest route to the south into the city was through this path. Every year, thousands of caravans pass and stay the night and continue on the next day. Xiu-er’s only friend was but a distant memory. Because passers only stay for the night and Xiu-er only being able to understand misfortunes, misgivings, and complaints by these people, Xiu-er had become a bit arrogant believing he would have done better than them. When he overheard a group of gentlemen complain about loosing their investments because of buying cheap inventory, Xiu-er mocked them silently for being conned out of their money. When he saw a couple bring along their teenage daughter to be wedded off to a sixty year old man, he flirted with the girl in such a way making the parents lose face and took their daughter back home. Xiu-er believed he was always better than the world and the world was jealous. Retreating Rivers Inn was his punishment.

Xiu-er saw a shadow dart across the grasses. Smiling he started to give chase. When the shadow turned towards the ravine, Xiu-er hesitated but then gave chase again. Just when Xiu-er was within several feet from the shadow, it suddenly had a burst of speed and quickly dodged his grasp. His feet were getting tired from the long chase, Xiu-er’s energy dwindled until he finally collapsed on the grass. Breathing heavily, Xiu-er admitted defeat.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/hkopinions/xiu-erfinal_edited.jpg')

“Uncle Xin, I give up. Come and delve in your glory!”

The shadow immerged from the tall grass. Uncle Xin, being a short and stout man, was but a shadow in the tall grasses. However, his legs moved quickly and lightly making the strong built Xiu-er become not a mere challenger. Sitting down right next to Xiu-er, Uncle Xin gazed at the stars. The two kept silent and closed their eyes. Uncle Xin had been competing against Xiu-er ever since he was young. Xiu-er had never won. Just when he would think he could catch his uncle, the old man would use some hidden energy and leave Xiu-er behind, disappointed and agitated.

“Uncle? Auntie Four said something very peculiar today.”

“Peculiar? No one ever understands her.”

“No, no, it’s different this time. She said if Master Liu would comfort her in death.”

Turning to his uncle, Xiu-er waited for a response. Uncle Xin continued to gaze at the stars silently.

“Who’s Master Liu? He must have left a deep scar in Auntie’s heart. Auntie doesn’t look like someone who would hold a grudge. What did this Liu do to her?”

“Did she say anything else?” mumbled Uncle Xin.

“A Liu huh? Not many of those around here. Uncle? You know about Auntie, right?”

Sighing heavily, Uncle Xin closed his eyes.

“Xiu-er. It’s autumn but the weather is so warm and humid. I remember when I was only a kid. My nanny would take my hand and we would stroll along great long paths lined with beautiful tri-colored trees. They are gone now. Dead, you know.”

“Autumn? I remember hearing one of Master Li’s poems. It talked about tri-colored leaves raining down every year. A lot of red, orange, and yellow. Then one day—all ashes. So much they burned your eyes like fire, your skin feels as if it is being seared by iron while your nose cringe from the ghastly stench. His poems get more and more depressing as the years go on.”
    In the light of the moon, Xiu-er saw that his uncle’s face express some deep sense of remorse and regret. His eyes stared endlessly at the skies as if he was searching for someone but retreated back again when he saw how numbered the stars were.

“It’s all wasted…Xiu-er, I got proficient at running because I ran all of my life. When I was a child, I ran from my teachers, dodging any instruction in Confucianism, poise, and just anything involving being a gentleman. When I was imposed with a heavy responsibility, I ran. My legs never tired. The key is never to look back. Keep the eyes in front and stare to the distant horizon. That is your finish line. There is absolutely nothing back there…”

Pausing for a second, Uncle Xin bit his lips and sighed remorsefully as if he wanted to take back his words.

“Uncle, who where you back then? Auntie never mentions anything about you nor does she about herself. Retreating Rivers is a pot full of secrets.”

Stretching his arms and giving a loud yawn, Uncle Xin patted Xiu-er on his chest and stood up.

“Let’s go. Auntie Six will be worried sick. Enough chit-chat for today…Your skills are getting quite good. Although you only know how to run, you are overly confident and lack a destination.”

Stretching out his hand, Uncle Xin grabbed Xiu-er’s hand and helped him up. Grinning out Xiu-er, Uncle Xin leapt back into the tall grasses.

“Race you back home!”

Uncle Xin had always challenged Xiu-er to these games. Although Xiu-er had never won, it was still all the same. Xiu-er began to make chase roaring at the old dwarf that he was a cheater and had a head start.

In the crowded streets of Ch’ang-an, there is a famous school well-known for recommending great men into office. With the new era, the hodgepodge of yang-ying, cosmological speculations, and superstition basing on the Book of Changes had been degraded to the water-downed approach of so called Taoist, more or less shamans. This school had been recently revived by Wang Mang’s beliefs, therefore, disregarding Confucianism. All students became versed in the new order: total state regulation of natural resources and the new tax-credit system. However, the very teachings of this school discriminated against those who went there—the aristocrats. Over the years, the school returned to Confucianism but kept the new order approach. Getting into this school required a lot of manipulation and bribery. If one’s father was in high office, then immediate enrollment was guaranteed. If one’s father was in a low office, then bribery was necessary. Since wealth was difficult to horde because of the new coinage system where gold was confiscated, regular merchant families had difficulties arranging enrollment for their children. Therefore, this school only composed of sons of aristocrats and officers.

Wang Ch’ung was no exception. His father had held a considerably high position at the capital before his sudden death five years ago. Ch’ung’s mother was the empress’s cousin allowing Ch’ung allowing him considerable leverage to attend any school he wanted. With his mother’s passing right after his father, Ch’ung squandered his wealth on projects that led nowhere. On one instance, he angered the locals when they witnessed lighting and thunder on a perfectly sunny day. The locals became offering the gods condolences in hordes. Wang Ch’ung got angry and destroyed their offerings. He argued that the heavens were not displeased but it was all because of fire and heat. To prove his point, Ch’ung spent most of his fortune to prove to the locals. In the end, he failed and was laughed out of his home.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/hkopinions/Copyofsketches_edited.jpg')

Coming to Ch’ang-an was his mother’s last wish. If it were up to him, then he was to proud, smart, and rational for this school. The teachers were too traditional and Ch’ung contradicted every scholar of the past and present. On another occasion when the locals worshipped the gods for providing such a plentiful harvest, Ch’ung carved a poem on the temple walls indicating the Heavens had not purpose and belief in it was an absurdity. He then instructed the people to make the change little by little and not wait for the Heavens to do so. Ch’ung was almost stoned to death that night if not for his childhood friend, Yen Kuang.

Knowing that Wang Ch’ung’s mouth tend to get the better of him and succeeded getting him into countless of troubles, Yen Kuang was more cautious and meticulous about his words. Growing up with Wang Ch’ung was a bit more of a challenge than any normal friendship. Yen Kuang was the only son of a merchant family who sold local supplies to the surrounding schools in the Xi’an area. When the central government began reinstating discriminatory policies against merchants by imposing income tax, his family’s wealth began to dwindle. By the time Yen Kuang turned ten, his family’s land was reclaimed as the emperor’s land. The Yen family had been a well-to-do family, not too rich but popular in the region. After his family lost everything, his father committed suicide due to disgrace since the Yen family prestige had evaporated. It was late autumn when Kuang’s father set what was left of the Yen Manor into flames. Over one hundred years of prestige and wealth burst into flames. With it, all forty-two members of the Yen perished.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/hkopinions/YenKuang_edited.jpg')

On that particular evening, Wang Ch’ung started ranting in front of a temple about offering food to the gods and not the poor. Sixteen year old Yen Kuang was feeling restless that night and went for a stroll to get some fresh air to forget his family’s ill predicaments. He never would imagine that Wang Ch’ung would single him out and mock him as a greedy pig. All of the Yen family fortune was worn on Yen Kuang—the last bit of wealth on his only set of clothing. Out of anger, Yen Kuang threw a fist at Wang Ch’ung hitting him squarely on the chin. For 19 years, Ch’ung always had what he wanted. When he wanted to go east no one dared to go west. When he wanted something, he got it. No one laid a finger on him. Wang Ch’ung jumped on top of Yen Kuang and gave him a beating that both never forgot. Both boys collapse from exhaustion after Yen Kuang struggled and kicked Ch’ung between the legs. When Yen Kuang regained his senses, he noticed that there was fire coming from the Yen Manor. Forgetting their animosity, both boys ran to see the commotion. By the time Yen Kuang arrived to the front door, the entire house had collapsed. The villagers had given up on extinguishing the flames. Everyone in the household had perished—their bodies burned beyond recognition. Yen Kuang out of sheer luck had survived only due to his fight with Wang Ch’ung. Seeing that the boy he had just beaten into a mess cry beyond disbelief, Ch’ung found it amusing and snickered under his breath. However, when Kuang didn’t retaliate but continued sobbing, Ch’ung grabbed Kuang’s shoulders and led him to his home. Yen Kuang was in a disillusional state of mind—he allowed Ch’ung to drag him. Halfway down the street, Kuang collapsed. Wang Ch’ung was unsure what to do and carried Kuang on his shoulders to his home on the southern side of the town.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/hkopinions/YK-CWCh-1.jpg')

When Yen Kuang awoke, he began to digest the events of the previous night. He was the last survivor of the Yen family and had to live up to the name. Looking around the room in a daze, Kuang remembered Ch’ung dragging him away from the flames. There was a slight knock on the door and Ch’ung entered. He didn’t say anything and put down some rice porridge. Yen Kuang ended up staying with Ch’ung for a whole week. During this time, Ch’ung helped Kuang with the funeral arrangements. Both boys never spoke of the brawl they had again. They accepted each other and became close friends.

Yen Kuang and Wang Ch’ung became inseparable when Ch’ung’s father suddenly passed away when the temple sign collapsed on him during the yearly offering the next year. Ch’ung did not shed a tear at his father’s funeral. When his mother took both boys to Ch’ang-an to study so they could get recommended into office, Kuang was ecstatic to start his studies again while Ch’ung complained every second on their way to the capital. The very first day of school, Ch’ung was almost kicked out by his schoolmaster because he insulted tradition. Bringing many gifts and words, Ch’ung’s mother not only convinced the school to reinstate him but nominate him for the yearly demonstration to the princes. On one of her trips to convince Ch’ung’s schoolmaster, her carriage tipped over when her mountains of gifts fell out scaring the horses. The weight of the carriage crushed her frail, small body. Ch’ung and Kuang witnessed this horrifying accident with his own eyes. She never recovered from her injuries and died a week later. Only Kuang shed tears during her funeral. Seeing that his friend did not shed a tear for his own mother, Kuang decided to shed them for Ch’ung.

A week later, the school received a letter from the empress indicating that her nephew had to be taken care of or there would be severe consequences. Although the empress knew that her cousin had a son, she had never met him but felt responsible for his well being, or possibly out of guilt. Ch’ung’s mother had been the emperor’s love before he ascended the throne. Since she and the empress bore a huge resemblance, Ch’ung’s mother introduced her cousin to him since she had no feelings for Wang Mang who was only a 3rd class official. Wang Mang poured his heart for this cousin and Ch’ung’s mother left to marry her childhood love. The empress’s position was all because of her cousin making her all the more guilty for her death.

“Two more months until the yearly demonstration, Ch’ung. What devious schemes are you plotting this year?”

Ch’ung turned around and eyed his friend. With dark eyes and a rough complexion, Ch’ung gazed at his fairer skinned friend and snickered.

“I am the giant among giants. Everywhere I go people will cower at my words. Belief is nothing when one can’t prove using rational methods. This year, I’ll cause such a havoc causing even the emperor to be speechless.”

end of chapter 2
    Last edited by hkopinions; 08-14-06 at 11:51 PM.

Chapter 3: The Long Road

The yearly demonstration was in preparation. Wang Ch’ung and Yen Kuang were eliminated from the preparatory team because of Ch’ung’s regular yearly antics. Not knowing what to expect, Ch’ung was deliberately left out and asked to take one month off. In the meantime, the school master, Zhu Ri, instructed Ch’ung and Kuang to carefully think of what type of display they would display for the princes. Deep down Zhu Ri hoped that the boys would find other mischievous things to play and forget about this competition. Wang Ch’ung knew Zhu Ri’s intentions but left it at that. He needed time to prepare his havoc to the word. Both Ch’ung and Kuang left the school, Kuang was dishearten while Ch’ung was rather in a cheerful mood. Not saying anything to his friend, Ch’ung kept on strolling right out of town. Kuang was so deep in thought, he did not notice that they had left the capital after 5 lis. Sitting under a tree to wait for his friend, Ch’ung smiled and closed his eyes while humming a tune.

“Where are you headed? Why are we leaving Ch’ang-an? School master told us to think of a project.”

Seeing Ch’ung with a wicked smile on his face, Kuang hesitated to ask what he was up to, but since Kuang was use to getting Ch’ung out of trouble he felt he had an obligation to Ch’ung.

“We are heading south to find someone. He will help us with our project.”

“Who are we seeing? What project?”

“This man is a great scholar—twenty years ago he was declared as the Imperial Scholar. Not bad for an old geezer, eh?”

Shaking his head, Kuang looked stupidly at Ch’ung. “What is the need of someone else’s talent? We can do anything if we put an effort into it!”

“No, no, no. Remember, we need a great demonstration. I plan to dedicate a painting to the emperor and princes.” Ch’ung looked up at Kuang and smiled innocently.

Knowing that Ch’ung was again up to no good, Kuang was worried and hesitant to follow Ch’ung. He started pacing around the old tree that Ch’ung had plotted himself down to rest. Kuang thought to himself:

“An Imperial Scholar? If we have an Imperial Scholar help us, then of course we would win. Also, this scholar would not do anything rash. He is after all a well versed gentleman. As long as I tell him that the demonstration is for the royalty, I have nothing to be worried about. Maybe this year, Ch’ung and I may win and get our names nominated for some small government position.”

After his mother’s death and him living with Ch’ung, Kuang had decided to become a government official so he could affect change into the system that had brought his family down. At the same time, he needed to rebuild the Yen family honor.

“Fine. I’ll help you find him. No dirty tricks. I want to win this year.”

“Don’t worry old man. We will win. I promise I won’t do anything to get us in trouble Let's get a horse at the next stop for the trip.”

Gazing back at the road, Kuang knew that this would probably be his only chance to make it in the world. He wanted to make the most of it and succeed. For his mother, for his father, and for the 42 Yen lives lost that fateful night.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/hkopinions/Ch.jpg')

The sun was just a little overhead when Xiu-er woke up. He had been restless these pass few days. Getting up was usually difficult today. After washing up, Xiu-er came downstairs into the main dining hall. Auntie Six and Uncle Xin both shook their heads because of Xiu-er’s tardiness.

“Come get some breakfast, you lazy head. After you are done, I have a lot of chores for you to do.” Uncle Xin scolded him and motioned towards the kitchen.

Although Xiu-er helped around with the inn, he rarely did any strenuous chores other than gathering firewood. When Xiu-er was younger, both Auntie Six and Uncle Xin had lists and lists of chores for him to do. However, Xiu-er would only pick a couple from the list and complete them. Even after numerous of scoldings and punishments, Xiu-er did not shape is act together. He would find some clever way to trick some poor guest staying at the inn to complete a chore for him. Two years ago, Xiu-er tricked a wealthy pottery businessman to replace all of the dishes and pots in the inn by forging the imperial mark on the side of the main entrance. The businessman gave up hundreds of prize dishes to the inn hoping to please the emperor and gain more fame by spreading his name out to the rest of the word. Therefore when Uncle Xin inspected if all the dishes had been washed, sure enough they were all cleaned—practically new.

After gorging down a whole plate of steamed buns which was less than what he usually ate, Xiu-er went down to the kitchen and obediently washed the dishes. Auntie Six knew that Xiu-er’s personality was very unpredictable and didn’t think much of it. Being sick the last few days, Xiu-er did not have the strength to think of some ingenious plan to get himself out of washing dishes. Better save his strength for other things in the day he thought to himself. After finishing his chores, he decided to rest in the hallway to the main entrance hall. In this area, the slighting whisper could be heard two li’s down the road. After discovering this place as a boy, Xiu-er would spend hours listening in to others’ conversation. Because of the construction of the inn, a whisper two lis on the road could be heard in this area. Making himself comfortable on the floor, Xiu-er waited.

The neigh of a tired horse echoed in the room. The horse slowed down its pace and neighed to its riders several times. Then it stopped. One person from the horse dropped down and patted the horse giving it some water.

“Ch’ung, the horse it tired. It needs a break.”

“Hmmph. If you had let me rented two horses, then we wouldn’t be in this mess. You and money. Your pockets are too tight.”

“Ch’ung, we need to save money so we can return home. Let’s walk the rest of the way. The oxen herder stated that the closest resting point was 50 lis this way. That was a while ago. We should be near it.”

“Hmmph. There is nothing else we can do. Look, when we get to Retreating Rivers Inn, let me do all of the talking. You just make yourself look pretty, just like a gentleman.”

These were the voices of the two travelers, Wang Ch’ung and Yen Kuang. Having traveled for several days on one horse, their combined weight wore down their horse. Now, it could not carry even one of them anymore. Since Ch’ung had a dirty and often unpredictable mouth, Kuang always was considered the young master when the two walked together. In addition, Kuang continued to wear the last remnants of the Yen wealth making him much more like the young master. On the other hand, Ch’ung wore plain clothes with no special insignia of a well-to-do family or ornaments.

“Guests! I wonder what their motive it is to come here.” Xiu-er was excited since it had been over a week with no new visitors. Maybe that was why Xiu-er had been so restless. He needed adventure or some poor soul to trouble.

Less than one hour later, two strangers approached Retreating Rivers Inn. One tied up the horse while the other cleaned himself up. Then both walked into the inn and asked for some food. Xiu-er rushed out and attended to the guests.

“What would the gentlemen have today? We have many good treats and dishes?”

“Some buns and a plate of beef would be fine. See to it that my horse is taken care of.”

“Yes, yes. Right away.” Xiu-er hurried back into the kitchen to prepare the dishes.

“Ch’ung. Tell me who we are looking for.”

“Hold on. Let’s finish up first. Wait and see.”

After a while, Xiu-er emerged from the kitchen with the dishes.

“Anything else?”

“No, we are good.”

Ch’ung and Kuang started to eat their food. Xiu-er watched from a distance. Ch’ung was rash and devoured the food. He talked to his friend with food in his mouth and had his right leg propped on the chair next to him. On the other hand, Kuang ate slowly and talked only when needed.

“Hmmm. I need to get information from these two,” thought Xiu-er. He started to walk over to the two guests to pry information from them when a low cough was heard from the top of the stairs. A dirty man slowing staggered down the stairs. He had to support himself with both arms to get himself all the way down. It was Master Li. He was in one of those moods where only wine would cure him.

Xiu-er rushed over to Master Li and helped him settle at a table across from Ch’ung and Kuang.

“Master Li, more wine today?” Master Li waved his hand approvingly.
    “Master Li? Did you hear that Kuang, that is him. We found him without much effort.” Ch’ung chuckled at Kuang.

“Just follow along and agree with everything I say. Ch’ung instructed Kuang. He then started speaking louder than normal so that his voice could be heard from across the room.

“Oh Kuang, how are we to present the emperor with a gift with our talents. To present a gift with our talents is like heaven and earth.” Kuang shook his head and sighed.

“In less than a month, our school will be able to meet the princes and possible present the emperor with our gift if chosen. Wouldn’t that be a prize?”

Kuang nodded at his friend.

“Last year, a scholar from the Ch’ang-an presented the emperor a beautiful portrait of the late Concubine XiaoLan. The emperor praised the portrait and said it was almost to his liking if not for the lotus flower on her needlework. You see, the Concubine XiaoLan was famous for her lotus flower needlework many years ago catching the eye of the emperor. If not for her death, the current empress would have been replaced. It is rumored to look so real that even the butterflies cannot distinguish. The eunuchs said that the emperor gazed at the portrait for many days without sleeping. Fortunately, a guard fell asleep at his post knocking over the candle causing the imperial library to burn down and with it the painting…Now, if we can reproduce such painting, think of all the riches the emperor would bestow on us.” Ch’ung turned towards Xiu-er and Master Li and let out a heavy sigh.

“Now, any man with such talent we must find to reproduce an even better work. Where are we to find this talent?”

Xiu-er and Master Li had been listening in on the situation the entire time. Xiu-er found it rather odd that the gentleman would tell his story so openly. Although in a half drunken state, Master Li had overheard everything. Turning his head up the stairs, he shed a tear and quickly wiped it up with his shirt sleeve. Grabbing the gourd of wine, he smashed it to the ground. His eyes flared and he didn’t seem like the old drunk Master Li as before. Staggering over to the two gentlemen, Master Li heavily sat himself down.

“I can’t but overhear your conversation. Are you still needing the talent for this portrait?”

Turning his head up from his depressed state, Wang Ch’ung replied, “Why yes. But where to look for someone who would be willing to sacrifice his talent for some other man to put his name on.” Wang Ch’ung was referring to selling such great talent and getting a meager price in return.

“I am willing on one condition. When you offer this painting to the emperor, I want to witness it also.”

Wang Ch’ung and Yen Kuang looked at the drunk hesitantly. How could a drunk reproduce a masterpiece. Seeing them in disbelief, Master Li cleared his hair from his face and explained:

“Years ago, there was a famous man by the name of Li Mao. His talents were so greatly appreciated that he was given the highest title, Imperial Scholar. I am Li Mao.”

“Ha. The great Li Mao, you?” Ch’ung laughed. “What proof do you have?”

Master Li slowing pulled from inside his shirt sleeve a golden paintbrush with jade lining on the tip. Showing it to the two gentlemen, he continued:

“If you are gentlemen then you should recognize this brush. Only the Imperial Scholar can use this. Years ago, it disappeared with Li Mao.”

Kuang and Ch’ung nodded happily. While in school, every scholar was after this brush. When Li Mao disappeared mysteriously years ago, the emperor replaced the Imperial Paintbrush with a gold paintbrush. Its quality and rarity was much less because there were so many already. Rich families only needed to pay to have them made while the Imperial Paintbrush was made by a famous artisan in the time of Emperor Wu-ti. No one had ever been able to replicate his work.

“Excellent. Li Mao, are you willing to repaint Concubine XiaoLan? More importantly, can you paint the lotus flower?”

“Hmmph. I see you gentlemen are not that well versed. Who was Concubine XiaoLan’s younger godbrother?”

Wang Ch’ung shook his head.

“Hmmm. I believe that brother’s surname was Li. Could it be you?” Yen Kuang asked confidently. Out of the two, Kuang was the better scholar since Ch’ung preferred to cause trouble. Therefore, there was no surprise when he knew the answer and Ch’ung didn’t. Ch’ung glared at Kuang and coughed.

“Concubine XiaoLan was my elder godsister. I am very well aware of her needlework. Let us make a deal and I will immediately leave with you to Ch’ang-an.”

The three nodded and agreed that they would leave the right way by getting new horses. Seeing the situation and his only connection to the outside world ready to leave him, Xiu-er cried in despair.

“Master Li, take me with you. I want to see the world.”

“Who is this rascal? Owner stop him from causing trouble.” Ch’ung retorted.

Xiu-er glared at Ch’ung and continued to use words to persuade Li Mao. When his thousands of words failed, he began begging and even got on his knees to beg. Uncle Xin entered the main hall. He had been listening in to the whole situation.

“Li Mao, you better take him with you. Just bring him back when your business is finish. After all, you still owe us many weeks of fees.”

This was a surprise. In the many years at Retreating Rivers Inn, Xiu-er was never able to leave. This situation was unexpected. Not wanting to change his uncle’s mind by asking, Xiu-er turned to the three.

“Look. Li Mao owes us a lot for his staying her so long. You two gentleman can take him when you have paid his fees.” Xiu-er then started to throw out numbers: wine, room, food, etc. The amount came out to be incredibly high. Xiu-er may have made up some of the numbers but Master Li drank a lot of wine during his stay here so the amount would still be high.

“We don’t have that much money. Even if we were to sell everything we have right now, we can’t pay you.” Kuang replied remorsefully. Ch’ung sneered at Xiu-er.

“Look, the name is Xiu-er and this here is my uncle. I don’t want to cause you trouble. Take me with you and we call it even. You don’t have to pay me anything.”

“Hmmph. Fine. I am Wang Ch’ung and this here is Yen Kuang. We attend Ch’ang-an school. Although we will be traveling together, don’t think you can benefit from us.” The four agreed to leave right away after everything was taken care of. Taking three fresh horses, the four decided to travel on to Ch’ang-an immediately. Because of Ch’ung initial disapproval, Xiu-er made him and Kuang share a horse. Before leaving the inn, Xiu-er pointed in the direction of the capital and laughed hysterically.

“My chance has finally come. Ha! My chance at last.”

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/hkopinions/ch.jpg')

Uncle Xin saw them off before turning towards Auntie Six who just recently knew of the situation but did not object because Uncle Xin made all of the decisions.

“We must let him go. He can’t stay with us forever. Li Mao will lead him in the right path.” Uncle Xin consoled Auntie Six.

“I am afraid of that. Li Mao has a very dark past that is slowing returning.” Auntie Six broke down crying hysterically and hid her face in her hands.

end
    Last edited by hkopinions; 08-15-06 at 08:22 PM.

Finally translate Ch.3.

Hope you enjoy this since it took quite a bit of work to translate even with the program.