Page 2 of 102 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: Return of the Cond... No, it's the return of the SURVIVOR GAMES

I want to know more about SWORD GOD ZHUO BUFAN.

In consideration for who deserves to win this game, in addition to the criteria that I suggested earlier--namely who would you want to know more about--I believe we should also consider one more quality: how much the person was able to accomplish, and how awesome the accomplishment seems compared to the achievements of the people that we know a lot about. In that sense I am not sure Guo Polu would be a good candidate for this game.

Here is a rough draft of the game candidates that I have in mind, followed by a sentence justifying their mysteriousness. Please reply with your thoughts.

round 1: ppl who appeared in novel
    SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan - crispy clear voice tramimission over 4 miles, peak of perfection in swordplay, single-stance execution of 72/36 cave/island leaders, _and_ LTD (Long Distance Tossing) across mountains, are just a few impressive feats that he demonstrated in the novel. Can you believe that we still have no way to compare him to other well-known characters in DGSD, such as Xiao Feng, Murong Fu, and Duan Yanqing? Well, that's why SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan is mysterious!

xiao yuanshan - his martial arts background mostly unknown, we don't know what kind of styles he learned. 30 years ago already able to beat the crap out of combined forces of 10s of central plain experts.

wuyazi - had immense potential including ability to leech other people's kung fu. did he do it or not? you decide.

li qiushui - by association with the other xiaoyao pai elders.

tianshan longlao - how did she create her own palace? how was she discovered by the teacher? etc

xiao feng - this is the only protagonist in the Jin Yong universe who already reached his peak of martial arts upon introduction. Jin Yong simply said "this guy has a lot of talent" and boom, he's as good as the much older experts. Also have you wanted to see him actually defeat someone of greater skills? I for one would like to see that.

sweeper monk - we don't know anything about his martial arts background or how it's possible to achieve this level of enlightenment.

feng qingyang - no intro necessary

dongfang bubai - when appeared, kicked the *** of everyone imaginable. how good was he before castration?

zhang sanfeng - no intro necessary

yellow-dressed lady yang - the ultimate mysterious late person.

lord long and lord mu of gallant island - what were their martial arts background? dunno.

eight-armed swordsman fang dongbai - seems to be the only elder in the history of Beggar Brotherhood to reach extremely high proficiency in martial arts. What was this guy like back in the day?

guo xiang (founder of emei) - founded martial arts philosophies that exceeded the profoundness of Liangyi Formation, which in turn exceeded the profoundness of Qiankun Danuoyi. And yet, we didn't see her actually do any of these founding stuff.

elder kurong - always seemed to be "Shen Bu Ke Ce" (unpredictably profound) to me. it's hard to gauge exactly his martial arts level.

kunlun 3 saints he zudao - never appeared in the novel again after leaving Guo Xiang. How high of martial arts did this "saint" achieve, and what other adventures might this legend have had that we never saw?

xie yanke

SPW Beggar Sect Leader Jie Feng

round 2: ppl who didn't appear in novel
    murong longchen - creator of Shifting North Star technique; was said to be unmatched in his era.

old man of the mountain - originator of Ming Sect's martial arts; possibly the creator of Qiankun Danuoyi

inventor of ode to gallantry martial arts - just who is this Qianbei who created such sophisticated kung fu that puzzled the entire martial world for decades?

reverend kongjian - was thought to be a ghost by Xie Xun. Another unpredictably profound character.

pre-DGSD monk who learned 23 supreme arts of shaolin

the teacher of xiaoyao pai 3 elders - did this person actually create Xiaoyao Sect? did this person know all the martial arts that the combined 3 elders know? would he be a match for the sweeper monk?

demonic swordsman dugu qiubai - absolutely no intro necessary

lin yuantu - creator of Evil-resisting Swordplay. actually knew a lot of Sunflower Manuscript. Could he be a greater master than Dongfang Bubai?

eunuch, creator of Kuihua Baodian - who was he?

Huang shang, creator of 9 yin - another "unpredictably profound" guy.

golden snake prince xia xueyi - was unmatched, I think, during his era. was kind of like a Dugu Qiubai in the sense that his martial arts benefitted the main character Yuan Chengzhi. Was probably the prototype for Dugu Qiubai before Jin Yong invented Dugu.

golden wheel monk's first disciple - was said to be MUCH better than Daerba, even though this guy died young. was he one of the all-time great prodigies?

central divinity wang chongyang - no intro nec

lin chaoying - no intro nec

yang dingtian - reached one of the highest levels of Qiankun Danuoyi out of everyone who tried.

creator of 9 yang shen gong - Jin Yong wrote some details in the third edition. I can't remember much at the moment, but I think he was a taoist who drank with Wang Chongyang, and he obtained 9 Yin from Wang for a while. After some thinking, he conceived the legendary 9 Yang, just like that.

Crippled Beggar Sect Leader Shi Huolong
    Last edited by PJ; 09-26-06 at 01:55 AM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Greetings,

The game is finally ready to BEGIN. Hope you're in the mood for another exciting round of SURVIVOR! I have decided to implement a slightly new method of playing. Hope you find it fun as always.

As you have noticed from the previous post, the candidates of mysterious personaliy have been separated into 2 categories: those who made an appearance in the novels, and those who were only mentioned by people in the novel.

The game will be played in several rounds by pitting ONE champion from one category with ONE challenger from the other category. For every round, The champion would be the winner of the previous round, and the challenger a new contestant (except for the first round). Each round will be played in ONE day. The gameplay is illustrated by the following example:

Day 1 - Round 1 - Xie Yanke [category 1] vs Lin Yuantu [category 2] - Winner: Lin Yuantu

Day 2 - Round 2 - Lin Yuantu [CHAMPION, category 2] vs Sweeper Monk [CHALLENGER, category 1] - Winner: Sweeper Monk

Day 3 - Round 3 - Sweeper Monk [CHAMPION, category 1] vs Murong Longchen [CHALLENGER, category 2]

//meanwhile, Sweeper Monk remains the winner for the next 17 rounds

Day 20 - Round 20 - Sweeper Monk [CHAMPION, category 1] vs Old Man of the Mountain[CHALLENGER, category 2]

//Now, the last challenger of category 2 has lost. Category 2 has run out of contestants. Sweeper Monk now must face challengers from his own category.

Day 21 - Round 21 - Sweeper Monk [CHAMPION, category 1] vs Wuyazi [CHALLENGER, category 1]

When the game is completely out of contestants, the top 5 champions who won the most rounds will be pitted against each other in an ALL-OUT, FULL-BLAST, time-sensitive session. The winner will be the ultimate SURVIVOR. To make the rules fair, the # of rounds won by each of the top 5 contestants will factor into their starting score in the final round, i.e. the more rounds you won, the higher your starting score in final round will be.

MORE RULES TO BE EXPLAINed IN THE NEXT POST.

In order to minimize any bias in determining when each contestant will be pitted in which round, I have developed a simple scoring system to give each contestant an unbiased score. In a nutshell, the score is decided based on the contestant's official name in the game. Each letter in the contestant's name has a number assigned to it, and the final score simply adds up all the individual numbers assigned to each letter. Letters A-Z range from 1-26, while the numbers 0-10 range from 27-36. The character "-" has the number -1, while a space in the name has the number -20, and a comma in the name has the number -21. I assigned negative numbers to special characters because I didn't want people with long names (which would have more spaces in the name) to always have the highest scores.

So, for example, for SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan, the score would be:
    S = 19
    W = 23
    O = 15
    R = 18
    D = 4
    [SPACE] = -20
    G = 7
    O = 15
    final score = sum of all individual scores = 159

In this game, the contestants with the HIGHEST SCORES will play first.

Here are the numbers for each category as determined by my scoring system:

Category 1 - characters who appeared in the novels
    Child Mistress Of Heavenly Mountain Tianshan Longlao 374
    Eight-Armed Swordsman Fang Dongbai 235
    Lord Long And Lord Mu Of Gallant Island 206
    Kunlun 3 Saints He Zudao 204
    SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan 159
    Yellow-Dressed Lady 137
    Beggar Union Leader Jie Feng 134
    Guo Xiang, Founder Of Emei 133
    Sweeper Monk 124
    Elder Kurong 110
    Xiao Yuanshan 107
    Li Qiushui 105
    Zhang Sanfeng 102
    Dongfang Bubai 83
    Feng Qingyang 81
    Wuyazi 80
    Xiao Feng 61
    Xie Yanke 49

Category 2 - Characters who did not appear in the novels
    Unknown Eunuch, Creator Of Sunflower Manuscript 431
    Divine Monk Who Mastered 23 Supreme Arts Of Shaolin 398
    Crippled Beggar Union Leader Shi Huolong 269
    Golden Wheel Monk's First Disciple 251
    Demonic Swordsman Dugu Qiubai 241
    Inventor Of Ode To Gallantry Art 221
    Central Divinity Wang Chongyang 214
    Lin Chaoying, Founder Of Ancient Tomb 191
    Golden Snake Prince Xia Xueyi 185
    Teacher Of 3 Xiaoyao Pai Elders 164
    Reverend Kongjian 152
    Creator Of 9 Yang Shen Gong 147
    Murong Longchen 146
    Old Man Of The Mountain 140
    Huang Shang, Creator Of 9 Yin 138
    Lin Yuantu 92
    Yang Dingtian 80
    Last edited by PJ; 09-26-06 at 06:57 PM.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Xiao Feng 61

Xiao Feng!? How mysterious could a main character get?

OK, now that I have explained the general concept of this game, here are some additional rules, very similar to how everything worked in the past:

Effective immediately: New rule - if a contestant reaches a score of 30 points, he/she automatically wins the round.

1. Each mysterious personality starts at 10 points. Either add OR subtract a point for a chosen warrior. It is not necessary to place alternating votes at this time.

2. You may vote once every five turns OR every 30 minutes, whichever comes first; this means that unless 30 minutes have passed since your last vote, you must wait until at least four others have voted before you vote again.

3. To facilitate the tracking of scores, please cut and paste both candidates and their scores when you vote.

4. Winner Forecasting - Continuing the tradition from the last game, Each player (forum member) of this game has the opportunity to earn DOUBLE VOTING POINTS for the ROUND OF THEIR CHOICE by providing the best prediction of the winner of the next rounds, within 48 hours of the start of the current round. The incentive is that if your forecast is the best, your vote for the next round will count TWICE as much weight as all other member's vote.

Here is exactly how it works:

In round 1 and round 2, you can submit predictions for round 5 AND round 6.

In round 6 and round 7, you can submit predictions for round 10 AND round 11.

In round 11 and round 12, you can submit predictions for round 15 AND round 16.

... and so on.

As I mentioned before, if you submit the best prediction, you can save your double voting power to be used at ANY TIME during the game. However when you intend to exercise your double voting rights, you must explicitly announce your intention.
    Last edited by PJ; 09-29-06 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    Xiao Feng!? How mysterious could a main character get?
    I explained why he is extremely mysterious - xiao feng - this is the only protagonist in the Jin Yong universe who already reached his peak of martial arts upon introduction. Jin Yong provided very little background information of him, he simply said "this guy has a lot of talent" and boom, he's as good as the much older experts. Also have you ever wanted to see him actually defeat someone of greater skills like Jin Yong says he could? I for one would like to see that.

Again, here are the orders in which the contestants will be pitted against each other. Remember that each round comprises of category vs another category. Also keep in mind that each round is only played for ONE DAY. NOTE: it is possible for a candidate to get voted off the mountain before 24 hours have elapsed. In that case, we simply move on to the next round. And please, if you know the gameplay, feel free to moderate the game when I'm not available. If I'm not here to keep the game flow right away, anyone can initiate a new round if the current round is over

Category 1 - characters who appeared in the novels
    Child Mistress Of Heavenly Mountain Tianshan Longlao 374
    Eight-Armed Swordsman Fang Dongbai 235
    Lord Long And Lord Mu Of Gallant Island 206
    Kunlun 3 Saints He Zudao 204
    SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan 159
    Yellow-Dressed Lady 137
    Beggar Union Leader Jie Feng 134
    Guo Xiang, Founder Of Emei 133
    Sweeper Monk 124
    Elder Kurong 110
    Xiao Yuanshan 107
    Li Qiushui 105
    Zhang Sanfeng 102
    Dongfang Bubai 83
    Feng Qingyang 81
    Wuyazi 80
    Xiao Feng 61
    Xie Yanke 49

Category 2 - Characters who did not appear in the novels
    Unknown Eunuch, Creator Of Sunflower Manuscript 431
    Divine Monk Who Mastered 23 Supreme Arts Of Shaolin 398
    Crippled Beggar Union Leader Shi Huolong 269
    Golden Wheel Monk's First Disciple 251
    Demonic Swordsman Dugu Qiubai 241
    Inventor Of Ode To Gallantry Art 221
    Central Divinity Wang Chongyang 214
    Lin Chaoying, Founder Of Ancient Tomb 191
    Golden Snake Prince Xia Xueyi 185
    Teacher Of 3 Xiaoyao Pai Elders 164
    Reverend Kongjian 152
    Creator Of 9 Yang Shen Gong 147
    Murong Longchen 146
    Old Man Of The Mountain 140
    Huang Shang, Creator Of 9 Yin 138
    Lin Yuantu 92
    Yang Dingtian 80

ROUND 1 BEGINS

Child Mistress Of Heavenly Mountain Tianshan Longlao 10
    Unknown Eunuch, Creator Of Sunflower Manuscript 10

TommyH
    Unregistered

Child Mistress Of Heavenly Mountain Tianshan Longlao +11
    Last edited by TommyH; 09-26-06 at 07:26 PM.

Child Mistress Of Heavenly Mountain Tianshan Longlao +10
    By the way, it should be Child Mistress Of Heavenly Mountain Tianshan Longlao +11

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    By the way, it should be Child Mistress Of Heavenly Mountain Tianshan Longlao +11
    sorry I forgot to change it...

how do you know I vote for TSTL

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    sorry I forgot to change it...

how do you know I vote for TSTL
    There was a + sign there.

Child Mistress Of Heavenly Mountain Tianshan Longlao 11
    Unknown Eunuch, Creator Of Sunflower Manuscript +11

This is a toughie. I like both contestants. But... only the best should prevail.

Child Mistress Of Heavenly Mountain Tianshan Longlao 12+
    Unknown Eunuch, Creator Of Sunflower Manuscript 11

Ah, here we go again.

Child Mistress Of Heavenly Mountain Tianshan Longlao 13+

Regarding the winner prediction... I don't quite understand what you're saying. So, you can predict the winner of the current round within 48 hours? But then, isn't each round 24 hours? If you were to be predicting the winner of a later round, how would you know who will participate in it?

Thanks.

SwordWiz: Here is exactly how it works:

In round 1 and round 2, you can submit predictions for round 5 AND round 6. --> this prediction happens now

In round 6 and round 7, you can submit predictions for round 10 AND round 11.

In round 11 and round 12, you can submit predictions for round 15 AND round 16.

So you are predicting for 5 rounds away. You must predict both round 5 and round 6 together (2 rounds), because predicting only 1 round could produce many winners.

For example, right now I could submit a prediction for round 5 winner to be Lord Long and Lord Mu of Gallant Island. Round 6 winner I predict to be Kunlun 3 Saints He Zudao --> just as an example.

That is all I have to do, just post my prediction here in the public, and wait for the results

TommyH
    Unregistered

Child Mistress Of Heavenly Mountain Tianshan Longlao 14+

Child Mistress Of Heavenly Mountain Tianshan Longlao 14
    Unknown Eunuch, Creator Of Sunflower Manuscript 12+

My predictictions for winners of rounds 5 and 6 are Demonic Swordsman Dugu Qiubai and Inventor Of Ode To Gallantry Art.
    Last edited by The_One; 09-26-06 at 08:35 PM.

Child Mistress Of Heavenly Mountain Tianshan Longlao 15+
    Unknown Eunuch, Creator Of Sunflower Manuscript 12