View Poll Results: Who is the better cook?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wong Yung

    33 71.74%
  • Imperial Chef

    13 28.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Cook off! Wong Yung vs. the Imperial Chef!

  1. #1
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,028

    Default Cook off! Wong Yung vs. the Imperial Chef!

    You know it's a lean day for new topics when it's come down to this.

    North Beggar Hung 7 Gung, the ultimate wuxia glutton, appreciated the work of two cooks more than any other in the world: the Imperial Chef who cooked for the Sung Emperor, and Hung 7 Gung's own student and successor as Chief of the Beggar's Union, Wong Yung.

    If the Imperial Chef and Wong Yung had a cook off with Hung 7 Gung as the judge, who would ultimately emerge as the better cook?

  2. #2
    Senior Member bloodstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ling Jiu Gong 灵鹫宫
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Based on the assumption that the Imperial Chef was not a martial arts pugilist, HR would win because some of the dishes she conjured required martial arts skills e.g. the toufu balls baked in leg of lamb which needed the Peach Blossom island Lan Hua Fu Xue Shou skill to make the toufu spheres.

  3. #3
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bloodstar
    Based on the assumption that the Imperial Chef was not a martial arts pugilist...
    Not necessarily. Chinese imperial palaces were often dens of crouching tigers and hidden dragons.

  4. #4
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bloodstar
    Based on the assumption that the Imperial Chef was not a martial arts pugilist, HR would win because some of the dishes she conjured required martial arts skills e.g. the toufu balls baked in leg of lamb which needed the Peach Blossom island Lan Hua Fu Xue Shou skill to make the toufu spheres.
    Slightly OT. But I always thought that JMZ has the potential to be a very amazing cook with his 72 + 3 arts. He doesn't even need a stove or kitchen implements.

  5. #5
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC
    Slightly OT. But I always thought that JMZ has the potential to be a very amazing cook with his 72 + 3 arts. He doesn't even need a stove or kitchen implements.
    It'll probably all be vegetarian food, but that's all right. Vegetarian food prepared well is as good as anything with meat in it.

  6. #6
    Banned strife_au's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    It's either I win or you lose
    Posts
    4,404

    Default

    I think Shi Po Tian is the best
    though the imperial chef would be the best in this poll

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    You know it's a lean day for new topics when it's come down to this.

    North Beggar Hung 7 Gung, the ultimate wuxia glutton, appreciated the work of two cooks more than any other in the world: the Imperial Chef who cooked for the Sung Emperor, and Hung 7 Gung's own student and successor as Chief of the Beggar's Union, Wong Yung.

    If the Imperial Chef and Wong Yung had a cook off with Hung 7 Gung as the judge, who would ultimately emerge as the better cook?
    On the one hand, the descriptions of Huang Rong's food sound better to me than the descriptions of what Hong Qigong ate at the palace, and HQG also described HR as "tian xia di yi" in cookery; but on the other, HQG's 'dying wish' was to have another bite of the imperial kitchen's 'Five-Treasure Duck'. The head chef has the advantage of being a professional - HR is after all only a gifted amateur - but as basically the CEO of a large catering operation, he may not be as good if taken out of context (i.e. having to do everything himself rather than delegate to an army of chefs in a lavish kitchen). In a one-on-one against HR he might get smoked due to HR's imagination and her inevitable sabotaging.

    In what is clearly the greatest discovery in Jinology since the advent of LDA, I've noticed that there's some evidence to support a 'Food Deterioration Theory'. Food was not only important to the plot in DGSD & LOCH (e.g. Duan Yu found Qiao Feng by following the "aroma of meat caramelising in soya sauce"), but there were Great-level cooks (A'Bi/A'Zhu, HR) and some detailed descriptions. By the time of ROCH, as delicious as deep-fried centipedes sound, food was a barely-discussed irrelevance; and the epitome of cuisine in the HSDS era was the boiled dog served up by Zhao Min's lackeys and washed down with poisoned wine.

    Convinced? Bow down, weaklings, and call me "Kenny"!

  8. #8
    Member lilchilipepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Somewhere out there...
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by owbjhx
    In what is clearly the greatest discovery in Jinology since the advent of LDA, I've noticed that there's some evidence to support a 'Food Deterioration Theory'. Food was not only important to the plot in DGSD & LOCH (e.g. Duan Yu found Qiao Feng by following the "aroma of meat caramelising in soya sauce"), but there were Great-level cooks (A'Bi/A'Zhu, HR) and some detailed descriptions. By the time of ROCH, as delicious as deep-fried centipedes sound, food was a barely-discussed irrelevance; and the epitome of cuisine in the HSDS era was the boiled dog served up by Zhao Min's lackeys and washed down with poisoned wine.

    Convinced? Bow down, weaklings, and call me "Kenny"!
    Yeah, and by the time of SOD, the tastiest morsels of swallowable goods consisted of stolen watermelon, alcohol, and best of all, burnt frog. Mm...yum...makes my mouth water just thinking about it....
    如果要让我活 让我有希望的活
    我从不怕爱错 就怕没爱过
    ~孙悟空 - 五月天

    难道说难道说 这性格是我的错
    你不会欣赏我是你的自由
    怎么说怎么说都认为你不值得
    你走了才发现这个世界没改变
    ~平底鞋女生 - 迷子

  9. #9
    Moderator kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,110

    Default

    Shi Po Tian (Ming Dynasty post SOD) was a very good cook. Quite a number of people were impressed with his cooking.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    908

    Default

    Didn't H7G say that WY was a much better cook overall but the Imperial Chef had one dish which can only be cooked in the Imperial Kitchen? Can someone give a description of that dish which H7G had to eat before he died (at the time, H7G thought that his OYF inflicted injuries were fatal)?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    403

    Default Dugu Jiubei

    Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi
    Didn't H7G say that WY was a much better cook overall but the Imperial Chef had one dish which can only be cooked in the Imperial Kitchen?
    I don't remember HQG saying that, but I could be wrong. He certainly had a craving for the dish, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi
    Can someone give a description of that dish which H7G had to eat before he died (at the time, H7G thought that his OYF inflicted injuries were fatal)?
    That would be Five-Treasure Duck. It was probably excellent, but because there's no direct description, it's hard to say exactly how good it was. Sort of like Wang Chongyang.

  12. #12
    Senior Member sarakoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Where DO I live?
    Posts
    1,549

    Default

    Jin Yong himself stated huang Rong's cooking skills were unmatched in the world


  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    6,737

    Default

    the imperial cook cause when h7G said he wanted to eat the dish of the imperial cook before he dies, not HR's dish
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

    Entries due July 31st, 2016!

  14. #14
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR
    the imperial cook cause when h7G said he wanted to eat the dish of the imperial cook before he dies, not HR's dish
    That's because North Beggar Hung 7 Gung hadn't known about Wong Yung's superlative cooking skills until recently (i.e. relative the time that he went to the palace to steal delicacies), and because he had easy access to Wong Yung's cooking whereas he could only get access to the imperial chef with great difficulty.

  15. #15
    Senior Member redfirefly124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    It'd probably be pretty close, but I'd say Huang Rong.
    hu ge, yang mi, yuan hong, liu shishi.
    wang luodan, li guangjie.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    6,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    That's because North Beggar Hung 7 Gung hadn't known about Wong Yung's superlative cooking skills until recently (i.e. relative the time that he went to the palace to steal delicacies), and because he had easy access to Wong Yung's cooking whereas he could only get access to the imperial chef with great difficulty.
    ya but the thing about guy cookers... they either suck very bad/dont know how to cook, or they are super good
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

    Entries due July 31st, 2016!

  17. #17
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR
    ya but the thing about guy cookers... they either suck very bad/dont know how to cook, or they are super good
    This is the Imperial Chef; would the EMPEROR OF CHINA hire him as chef if his cooking skills sucked?

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    6,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    This is the Imperial Chef; would the EMPEROR OF CHINA hire him as chef if his cooking skills sucked?
    exactly, so he must be very good
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

    Entries due July 31st, 2016!

  19. #19
    Senior Member Han Solo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by owbjhx

    Convinced? Bow down, weaklings, and call me "Kenny"!
    PHail...... SPT is one of the most gifted cook among the protagonists and our WXB is the head eunuch of the imperial catering department.

    Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

    Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Imperial Chef because of more experience in the field of cooking.

Similar Threads

  1. Why didn't Wong Yung reach Great level?
    By Yeung Gor in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-03-08, 10:13 PM
  2. Wong Yung and Lee Mok Sau
    By Ken Cheng in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-07, 01:07 PM
  3. Replies: 48
    Last Post: 01-30-07, 03:01 PM
  4. Wong Yung and Lee Ping
    By Ken Cheng in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-30-06, 07:59 PM
  5. Wong Yung and the flute
    By shadow8899 in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-11-05, 06:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •