Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 再生缘! Li Bing Bing, Huang Hai Bing, Chen Long

ChineseChik525,

click to show/hide spoilers

I think there is implications that MLJ does 'feel' (I'm not necessarily saying 'love' here) for the emperor. There is a point where the emperor takes MLJ to a room all filled with glow worms. This room had been dedicated to the little girl who saved the emperor's life when he was still a young crown prince, namely, MLJ. MLJ runs around the room appreciating the spectacle, and then runs into the emperor's arms. They have a 'silent and significant' moment, and then mutually step away from each other. I find the fact that MLJ doesn't immediately pull herself away a possible reflection that she did regard the emperor maybe beyond their platonic relationship?

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie
    Thanks so much for sharing the ending with me NuDaFu. It sounds like a good ending and I bet some people like that ending more than the ending in the novel.
    My pleasure . I got really into it at some point, even did Tai Chi to the theme music , so I remembered the ending very well.

I totally agree with you and having medical skills is something that you need to really learn and develop just like with any skill. That is why I get annoyed at some of my relatives that keep on bragging about one of my distant cousins and saying that she wil become a doctor when she is no where near it. She is not smart enough to study medicine. It's just Asians wanting to brag and praise their children because they all believe being a doctor or anything in the medical field is prestigious. I am not saying that it isn't but I think it is pathetic to brag about it when you are never ever going to make it..
    This is getting off topic, so

I just feel sorry for the children. They don't know what they are getting themselves into if medicine has been painted as a prestigious and brag worthy profession. The responsiblity, both professional and legal, the time, effort, continuous education sort of balances out any materialistic gains IMHO.

Anyway, assuming your distant cousin is from the US, there is premed then UMAT, then interviews. It isn't a straighforward trip, so it could be nothing but bragging. Bragging is a either a way to show pride or need for control. It's a very primal way to garner respect, but it seems a typical vice in Asian culture...'having face' that sort of thing. I prefer a meaty, philosophical discussion myself .

I personally have not read the novel myself since I get lazy to read long novels. I just hear my mom go on and on about it because she has read that novel several times and loves it. She always says how skilled MLJ is in medicine and many other areas. The only thing she didn't know was martial arts. But you know how fake and far fetched fiction can go so I am not that surprised.
    Hmmm...I'm very interested now. I know medicine and martial arts (beautiful, beautiful combination of knowledge...so good to know how and where to strike effectively with minimum effort) .

I usually find though, unless the novel has been very well referenced (in that the author takes a genuine effort to understand technical fields), only people who are not versed in the area would be impressed. I'd have to confirm that once I read the novel.

I know what you mean, but once again.. This is all fiction. There was also a story about their children too... My mom told me about that as well but I don't remember very much about it. I need to ask her again.I just remember that one of MLJ's daughters is princess Fei Yao(Fei Yao Jun Zhu). She was a reincarnation of some dragon and wanted to seek revenge on one of the generals because he killed her in the past life. Therefore, she reincarnated into MLJ's daughter to get revenge on him. Later I think she was punished or executed for killing him or something like that...
    OK, so the flavour of the author's writing sounds quite fantastical to me. I'm not going to raise my hopes for any philosophical depth. *sigh*

I can see what you mean about marriage and relationships. My mom strongly believes in marriage and hates it when 2 people are together but are not married. She thinks they are not serious. I guess it is because marriage provides a more secure bond while if you are just "dating" someone, you can just leave them just like that. But with marriage, it is not as easy since you have a marriage certificate and all that...Even though it is only a piece of paper, it is a piece of paper that has a lot of power behind it...
    So, do you think the same as your mom? I'm interested in your opinion, not necessarily your mother's.

Older generations usually have different familial and social perspectives. In MLJ's days, they certainly would've condoned polygamy.

Hon, divorce rates have not had an exponential dive...at least not since the last time I heard about them.

True, divorce takes a more costly and potential paperwork lengthy process, it is still done sometimes without that much consideration.

a piece of paper that has a lot of power behind it...
    that doesn't stop people from adultery.

I suppose we've come full circle now. It seems even if the law prohibits it, polygamy still can occur at some level.

Hi NuDaFu,

Wow, was theme music that good??? I didn't know that you knew Taichi too, you are really talented.

Well, it is ok to go off topic since that happens in this forum all the time so you don't need to worry. But hey, it is good to put them into spoilers. In my distant cousin's case, I actually don't feel sorry for her because she is part of the bragging too. She knows that she is not good enough to become a doctor or anything in the medical field at all, but she just sits there and allows people to brag about her as if she enjoys being put up to such a high level. SHe is currently doing absolutely nothing and her parents still go around bragging about her.I think that is so shameful. Asians generally think that doing anything in the medical field is prestigious. I am in the educational field but most people were so against it saying that it does not pay well. I thought that being in the educational field is just as good as the medical field. However, due to the low pay, people look down on it.

Well, my mom does not know much about martial arts or medicine so the author could have easily impressed her. Maybe you will have a different view since you have knowledge in those areas. Like you know with JY novels, many people don't know martial arts but still enjoy and discuss about it. But I think you should read the novel to see if the author makes good references or not. Maybe he/she does??

The author does sound very fantastical but I guess the novel is still a good read... Too bad I am too lazy to read such long novels or else I would read it myself. I just wait for my mom to read it and then ask her to tell me what happens.. She is good at that. It is interesting to read about their children though.

I think I agree with my mom because while it is true that a marriage certificate does not stop from divorce and adultary, it is still a more secure bond.I think if you love someone, wouldn't you want to "marry" them and have that secure bond? But if you are just "with" a person, either of you can just leave without going through any lawsuits or anything more. I know that some people still leave and all, however, with the marriage certificate, they may think twice in some cases(unless the situation gets so bad that nothing else really matters). Some of my cousins think that a marriage certificate is just a piece of paper and does not do anything. I don't quite agree with that because it is a piece of paper that has power.

Polygamy still occurs in a lot of cultures today so it is not long gone or anything like that...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by NuDaFu View Post
    ChineseChik525,

I think there is implications that MLJ does 'feel' (I'm not necessarily saying 'love' here) for the emperor. There is a point where the emperor takes MLJ to a room all filled with glow worms. This room had been dedicated to the little girl who saved the emperor's life when he was still a young crown prince, namely, MLJ. MLJ runs around the room appreciating the spectacle, and then runs into the emperor's arms. They have a 'silent and significant' moment, and then mutually step away from each other. I find the fact that MLJ doesn't immediately pull herself away a possible reflection that she did regard the emperor maybe beyond their platonic relationship?
    ok. but still,
    ultimately its implied that she chooses the other guy....

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie
    Wow, was theme music that good??? I didn't know that you knew Taichi too, you are really talented.
    There is a certain rhythym to the theme music that is very good for Tai Chi practice. Assistant instructor of Yang style Tai Chi actually. I wouldn't say talented...I learn too quickly and don't feel the challenge enough to continue with mastering things .That's just lack of discipline or plain laziness. Then again, I wonder how MLJ felt when she obviously has the ability to excel in whatever she learns too.

I think I agree with my mom because while it is true that a marriage certificate does not stop from divorce and adultary, it is still a more secure bond.I think if you love someone, wouldn't you want to "marry" them and have that secure bond? But if you are just "with" a person, either of you can just leave without going through any lawsuits or anything more. I know that some people still leave and all, however, with the marriage certificate, they may think twice in some cases(unless the situation gets so bad that nothing else really matters). Some of my cousins think that a marriage certificate is just a piece of paper and does not do anything. I don't quite agree with that because it is a piece of paper that has power.
    I think there are many ways to attain 'security' in a relationship. I personally think psycho-emotional security is more important and at the end of the day, a greater expression of the bond between two people. True, a marriage certificate does in a way provide a sense of security, but ultimately, it is a materialistic kind of security. I'd rather have someone stay with me because they genuinely want to, rather than because of a piece of paper with legal power.

Polygamy still occurs in a lot of cultures today so it is not long gone or anything like that...
    True. Though, I did earlier state that our major legal systems (specifically 1st world countries) do frown and/or outlaw the practice. It was not an absolute generalisation to mean that polygamy is outlawed everywhere, because I certainly aware too it still exists in today's society.

Sounds like harmless bragging then. I would find it funny rather than irritating. Wasting one's time voicing hollow aims/accomplishments is certainly not the right way to start studying medicine. If it really gets to you though, I suggest enlightening your distant cousin with possibilities of working >12hr shifts and >200hr a week, especially as an intern or registrar! Of course, there are the moments when one cannot actually save/do anything for patient, and even dealing with death. Makes the reality of medicine not as sweet and rosy. Realistic nevertheless.

You're in the educational field? Good on you! I view it as one of the most honourable fields. Traditional Chinese treated teachers with the greatest respect, they also hold such respect nowadays in Europe. I don't find what a teacher does any less than what a doctor does. A doctor heals and potentially saves lives...a teacher moulds the minds of the next generation. In fact, I think a teacher ranks slightly above doctors. No good doctor has not been through a rigorous education being taught by good teachers.

ChineseChik525,

Well, there is no implication, she does choose HFSH. Heaven's knows why. I was rooting for the emperor the whole way.

ChineseChik525,

Well, there is no implication, she does choose HFSH. Heaven's knows why. I was rooting for the emperor the whole way.
    aww thats a shame. i like the emperor better purely in terms of looks, but from what ive read i have a feeling id like him better as a character too. too bad

There is a certain rhythym to the theme music that is very good for Tai Chi practice. Assistant instructor of Yang style Tai Chi actually. I wouldn't say talented...I learn too quickly and don't feel the challenge enough to continue with mastering things .That's just lack of discipline or plain laziness. Then again, I wonder how MLJ felt when she obviously has the ability to excel in whatever she learns too.

I think there are many ways to attain 'security' in a relationship. I personally think psycho-emotional security is more important and at the end of the day, a greater expression of the bond between two people. True, a marriage certificate does in a way provide a sense of security, but ultimately, it is a materialistic kind of security. I'd rather have someone stay with me because they genuinely want to, rather than because of a piece of paper with legal power.

True. Though, I did earlier state that our major legal systems (specifically 1st world countries) do frown and/or outlaw the practice. It was not an absolute generalisation to mean that polygamy is outlawed everywhere, because I certainly aware too it still exists in today's society.

Sounds like harmless bragging then. I would find it funny rather than irritating. Wasting one's time voicing hollow aims/accomplishments is certainly not the right way to start studying medicine. If it really gets to you though, I suggest enlightening your distant cousin with possibilities of working >12hr shifts and >200hr a week, especially as an intern or registrar! Of course, there are the moments when one cannot actually save/do anything for patient, and even dealing with death. Makes the reality of medicine not as sweet and rosy. Realistic nevertheless.

You're in the educational field? Good on you! I view it as one of the most honourable fields. Traditional Chinese treated teachers with the greatest respect, they also hold such respect nowadays in Europe. I don't find what a teacher does any less than what a doctor does. A doctor heals and potentially saves lives...a teacher moulds the minds of the next generation. In fact, I think a teacher ranks slightly above doctors. No good doctor has not been through a rigorous education being taught by good teachers.

ChineseChik525,

I am glad that you are so talented but yet so modest and humble too. I like people like that. I really wanted to learn a lot of things, but my family was not that well off so we didn't have the money for all of those pleasures...I think MLJ had the ability to learn a lot of things if she actually took the time to learn them.

I do agree that there are a lot of ways to feel secure in a relationship, but I also feel that if you have the psychological security, wouldn't you not want to make it official on paper as well?? I think if they loved you and wanted to be with you, then making it official on paper would not hurt at all and show that they are serious with you. People can just say this and that but how would you know if they truly want to stay with you? If they do, then why not make it official on paper?? I think if they don't, they are holding something back...

Yea, that distant cousin of mine and her parents have no shame at all.I found it both funny and irritating. Can you believe that her father in law was all happy when he thought that his son was going to marry a doctor to be?? He thought that he can gain some prestige from it, however, in the end he found it was all a lie and shameless bragging that he became so mad and refuses to associate with her parents anymore. I have 2 brothers in the medical field too and they work really hard and long hour shifts, even while they were in school.I think if most people think about it, she always stays home and does nothing so how can she even be close to becoming a doctor or is training to be one??? Sadly, her parents know nothing and say that she will be or is in training to be one.

Yea, I am in the educational field and will become an ESL/EFL teacher which is something I really love to do. Sadly, a lot of family members all discouraged it from day one and say that it doesn't pay well. THey think too much about money and look down on the educational field. Thanks for your encouragement and I am glad at least someone doesn't look down on the educational field. I am still shocked that teachers do such an important job but get paid so little. Being in the medical field is great as well. I remember here at spcnet, someone asked which job was more important, being a doctor or a teacher? I thought that was hard to answer...

Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

I watched that TV series and love it. Story is good! I thought the new Queen (Huangfu Zhang Hua) became catty with MLJ near the end. Probably b/c she was jelous of MLJ. Wich makes her no different than concubine Mei except more subtle. I LOVE the emperor!!! I thought he was wonderful. Goa Hong Xiang managed to balance perfectly the duality between strong and vulnerable side of this role.

The only I wish they changed was the ending. The made the character Huangfu Shao Hua so so dull and simple!!! I would rather see her end up with the Emperor . In the story, MLJ did save the King when he was young child. Then she bacame a minster for him. There is some sort of faith btw them and they seemed to have great chemistry. I get the ending but I think the writers should have developed more HFSH character to make is good.
    Last edited by lisanguyenng; 10-27-10 at 10:41 AM.