Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Manga/Anime Recommendations?

Default Manga/Anime Recommendations?

It seems that I have run out of mangas and anime to read/watch. Anyone have any mangas or manhwas to recommend that is similar to "Tokyo Crazy Paradise" or "Hot Blooded Woman?" Or something with comedy, action, romance, mystery/suspense with an interesting/refreshing storyline? I'm getting really bored with those high school romance stuff like Marmalade Boy, Kare's First Love, Hot Gimmick, etc. Also, no more Yu Watase (or was it Watase Yu ) works, I don't really like her writing.

Also, does anyone have any interesting animes to recommend? No preference on new or old ones.
    Last edited by botan; 08-15-06 at 03:09 AM.

I am going to recommend Honey & Clover again, like I did many many times before. The manga has already ended, I don't know what's the ending but I heard that the author did not sugarcoat and try to give everybody a happily after, but ended in a bittersweet note. The anime is into the second season, I must say the animation is awesome, probably due to the success of the first season. Watch it for the story, for the comedy and the music, certainly one of the best slice of life series I've ever watched.

Will post some more later, when I think of more titles...

Quote Originally Posted by botan
    something with comedy, action, romance, mystery/suspense with an interesting/refreshing storyline?
    Check out beansprout's avatar - the Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi has all of the above and more. Anime has 14 episodes (and make sure you watch at least the first TWO episodes before forming an opinion on the series).

Don't bother with the manga though.

Oh yea... ha, how can I forgot Suzumiya Haruhi when I have Haruhi as my avatar. Indeed the anime is hilarious, high school slice of life mixed with a bunch of strange stuff and a set of stranger characters. The first episode was plain strange and don't really come into the picture until the middle of the anime. Make sure to watch the second episode before forming an opinion, it totally blows you away with the comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by beansprouts
    I am going to recommend Honey & Clover again, like I did many many times before. The manga has already ended, I don't know what's the ending but I heard that the author did not sugarcoat and try to give everybody a happily after, but ended in a bittersweet note. The anime is into the second season, I must say the animation is awesome, probably due to the success of the first season. Watch it for the story, for the comedy and the music, certainly one of the best slice of life series I've ever watched.

Will post some more later, when I think of more titles...
    I have never read a single Manga nor seen a single Anime in my life I think...is Honey and Clover that good? hmm, I am tempted to try it out.

I recommend anything by Ai Yazawa...but mainly Paradise Kiss and Nana. Paradise Kiss is already finished at 5 volumes. You can find episodes on YouTube. Nana is currently at its 17th volume. I'm thinking it will end at 21 volumes. The Nana anime is up to the 16th episode already but the subs are slow as heck.
    "It's good to know what you don't know." - The Twit

Xiao Shiyi Lang Book 2 - plodding thru Chap 27

Thank you for the recommendations guys!

How many volumes is the Honey & Clover manga? I've seen the first episode of the anime but didn't really find it interesting. I might try reading the manga instead.

I'll try look and see if I can get a hold of "Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi."

I recommend anything by Ai Yazawa...but mainly Paradise Kiss and Nana. Paradise Kiss is already finished at 5 volumes. You can find episodes on YouTube. Nana is currently at its 17th volume. I'm thinking it will end at 21 volumes. The Nana anime is up to the 16th episode already but the subs are slow as heck.
    I've already read Paradise Kiss manga. I thought it was okay. I haven't read Nana yet though, so I'll give that one a try.

I agree with Honey and clover.

I'll also reccomend Planetes (manga or anime). It's set in the future about the space. The drama is one of the best I have seen, romance is also really realistic with some interesting comedy.
    I'm also going to strongly reccomend Full moon wo sagashite if you havent already seen that. One of the best romance series I've seen, drama and comedy are also great. Don't be fooled by it's "bubblegum" look, it is anything but kiddy.

For new animes, I'd reccomend Ouran High school club host, School rumble and the Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi which has already been mentioned.
    A dream that really comes true, cannot truly be called a dream.

I am interested to give manga a try but of course the Chinese version since I can't read Japanese.

What would be the chinese name for Honey and Clover? even Kurosagi? what's the chinese name of the comics.

ususally, i am totally lost as I stared at the huge rows of chinese mangas, not knowing which titles are the one I am looking for...

@strawberry
    Rare to see you here in the Anime & Gaming forum,welcome!

I read manga in Chinese actually, and occasionally the English translated versions found online when I am too cheap to buy the real thing. The Chinese name for Honey & Clover is 蜂蜜幸运草 while Kurosagi is 黑诈师, the former can be found in Kinokuniya @ Takashimaya while I've not seen the latter anywhere before.

As for animes, the range of titles sold in Singapore is pathetically small and 90% crappy, the animes suggested by the folks here are more commonly found online since many of us follow the fansubs. Since you mentioned that you have never watched an anime in your life, I do think Fruits Basket is a good anime to start with and it can be easily found in stores in SG. Very slice of life show with excellent comedy and fantastic characters, do give it a try.

By the way, I'm sure you've watched anime before... come on, surely you've watch at least one episode of Doraemon, or DragonballZ, or Sailor Moon?

Quote Originally Posted by beansprouts
    @strawberry
    Rare to see you here in the Anime & Gaming forum,welcome!

I read manga in Chinese actually, and occasionally the English translated versions found online when I am too cheap to buy the real thing. The Chinese name for Honey & Clover is 蜂蜜幸运草 while Kurosagi is 黑诈师, the former can be found in Kinokuniya @ Takashimaya while I've not seen the latter anywhere before.

As for animes, the range of titles sold in Singapore is pathetically small and 90% crappy, the animes suggested by the folks here are more commonly found online since many of us follow the fansubs. Since you mentioned that you have never watched an anime in your life, I do think Fruits Basket is a good anime to start with and it can be easily found in stores in SG. Very slice of life show with excellent comedy and fantastic characters, do give it a try.

By the way, I'm sure you've watched anime before... come on, surely you've watch at least one episode of Doraemon, or DragonballZ, or Sailor Moon?

Thanks Beansprout. So those are considered anime? So animes are the same as cartoons? it sounds so fanciful so i thought it was a more high level form of animation...and yes I have seen Doraemon before but not much of it.

btw, are you recommending Honey and Clover the anime or the manga?
    Last edited by strawberry; 08-20-06 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    Thanks Beansprout. So those are considered anime? So animes are the same as cartoons? it sounds so fanciful so i thought it was a more high level form of animation...and yes I have seen Doraemon before but not much of it.

btw, are you recommending Honey and Clover the anime or the manga?
    Anime is just a way for people to refer to Japanese animation. Usually anime purists don't refer to stuff like Spiderman and X-men as anime, but essentially, anime is just a Japanese word to refer to cartoons.

I am recommending the anime for Honey & Clover, the manga is not for everybody since the drawing is not that sleek compared to others, it's not easy to get used to.

Senior Member f.alchemist_freak's Avatar

juz finish the manga Midori no Hibi - it's real funny. the storyline is kinda unique too. maybe u should try it. i've seen the anime bfore - but somehow i prefer the manga.

another one is Ouran High School Host Club. for tis one, i recommend the anime.

warning - both anime/manga above is shoujo, so none of those action/adventures stuff. but i like them both because of the comedy aspect.
    Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong.

Glad to see more recommendations. Thank you so much linghuchong and f.alchemist freak!

Quote Originally Posted by linghuchong
    I agree with Honey and clover.

I'll also reccomend Planetes (manga or anime). It's set in the future about the space. The drama is one of the best I have seen, romance is also really realistic with some interesting comedy.
    I'm also going to strongly reccomend Full moon wo sagashite if you havent already seen that. One of the best romance series I've seen, drama and comedy are also great. Don't be fooled by it's "bubblegum" look, it is anything but kiddy.

For new animes, I'd reccomend Ouran High school club host, School rumble and the Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi which has already been mentioned.
    Long time no see Linghuchong! Planetes sounds interesting. It's been a while since I've seen a space-type anime. I've seen the first few episodes of Full Moon but I didn't really find it interesting. Do you know if the manga is any good? Maybe I'll try reading the manga first.

I'm actually already following both the manga and anime for Ouran. It's pretty funny but I'm just wondering where the plot is going though.

I've just downloaded the first two episodes Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, I hope to watch it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by f.alchemist_freak
    juz finish the manga Midori no Hibi - it's real funny. the storyline is kinda unique too. maybe u should try it. i've seen the anime bfore - but somehow i prefer the manga.
    Midori no Hibi sounds really familar, not sure if I've read it before or not. What is it about?

Long time no see Linghuchong! Planetes sounds interesting. It's been a while since I've seen a space-type anime. I've seen the first few episodes of Full Moon but I didn't really find it interesting. Do you know if the manga is any good? Maybe I'll try reading the manga first.

I'm actually already following both the manga and anime for Ouran. It's pretty funny but I'm just wondering where the plot is going though.

I've just downloaded the first two episodes Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, I hope to watch it soon.
    Indeed.

Yeah, watch planetes, I actually avoided watching it for a long time, was unsure about it, but recently, I got down to watch it and was amazed at what a brilliant production it is. Seriously, it seems like a average sci-fi series about these people picking up dirt in space at first, but the series is very well done.
    FMWS is one of those aimes that starts out slow, if you can get past the first 10-15 episodes, then you're in for a treat. The last quarter of the series is a rollacoaster, even made me tear up alot which really dosent happen with me.

Yeah, Ouran is goofy and funny, but it dosent seem to have a direction. The romance is hardly developing, so it's just really a comedy.

Midori no Hibi is a pretty good watch aswel. Revolves around a girl who has a crush on this delinquent guy, and then she magically becomes his right hand, sounds stupid, but is really funny, with a good touch of romance and drama.

Two other short series I'll reccomend is Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu and Hantsuki (Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora). Both focus on romance and drama really well.

If you are reluctant to go for manga compared to anime, then you should try Pastel. It's a fairly refreshing title.

Senior Member f.alchemist_freak's Avatar

wat's Full moon wo sagashite & school rumble about?
    Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong.

Full Moon Wo Sagashite is about a young girl (12 i think), who loves to sing. Unfortunately she has a tumor in her throat so she can't sing or she'll die. 2 Negiramen spirit helps her pursue her dreams. Along all this, she is waiting for her childhood love to return.
    Click Here for info.
    Crushes only crush you,
    Falling only hurts you,
    Hearts will only break you,
    If there is no love to save you.

Indeed.

Yeah, watch planetes, I actually avoided watching it for a long time, was unsure about it, but recently, I got down to watch it and was amazed at what a brilliant production it is. Seriously, it seems like a average sci-fi series about these people picking up dirt in space at first, but the series is very well done.
    FMWS is one of those aimes that starts out slow, if you can get past the first 10-15 episodes, then you're in for a treat. The last quarter of the series is a rollacoaster, even made me tear up alot which really dosent happen with me.

Yeah, Ouran is goofy and funny, but it dosent seem to have a direction. The romance is hardly developing, so it's just really a comedy.

Midori no Hibi is a pretty good watch aswel. Revolves around a girl who has a crush on this delinquent guy, and then she magically becomes his right hand, sounds stupid, but is really funny, with a good touch of romance and drama.

Two other short series I'll reccomend is Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu and Hantsuki (Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora). Both focus on romance and drama really well.

If you are reluctant to go for manga compared to anime, then you should try Pastel. It's a fairly refreshing title.

yo!...hehe
    its been quite a while huh botan? i agree with linghuchong. i've just finish hantsuki and i thought it was great! some i think is good are Lamune, Canvas 2, and of course Hantsuki! maybe u've watched it before since u've watched alot more than i have but these anime might take awhile until u get hooked to it. by the way, i might sound stupid for saying this but i particularly choose an anime to watch for 2 reasons. 1-storyline of course and 2-animation. i really like the animation of Da Capo and Canvas 2 so if anyone knows any anime similar to it..maybe u could suggest some for me ARIGATOU! hehe
    no matter how you live, happy or sad, it will still be your life to waste so why not waste it happily?...

Can someone tell me when this Planetes anime is going to pick up. I watched 4 episodes already and it's pretty boring.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

Keep watching. If you're a fan of either drama or sci-fi, you won't be dissapointed. If you don't like any of them, then you'll most likely not like the anime.