Thread: The reason why people think XF is all brute power and no refinement.

Default The reason why people think XF is all brute power and no refinement.

This came about from another thread.

The topic of XF being all brute force keeps coming up now and again despite the best efforts of various posters here who tried to explain otherwise.

I think the real reason how this misconception came about is because of XF's physical description!

Think of it. Yang Guo, Ximen Chuixue, Li XunHuan, Zhang SanFeng and most other heroes notable for their exquisite techniques. They were _never_ described as big hairy muscular guys. The big musclemen in anime/manga/comics/wuxia all tend to be low on brains and technique but high in ferocity and brute power.

Wouldn't your image of Ximen Chuixue change if he was described as a big hairy bearded muscleman?

his martial arts aren't as refined as the Greats and the other Elites.

It's not that he doesn't have refinement, but it's that his refinement is less than the Greats.

Plus, I don't care about his appearance. Partially is that his fighting style is more straight forward and more warrior like.
    Last edited by Whsie; 08-17-06 at 03:41 AM.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

First of all, I have not read the novel of TLBB before (though I have watched few versions), so I may not have the best of idea with regards to XF.

I think the perception that XF is all brute force does not only come from his physical appearance.

It's not that XF is low on brain, he is definitely a prodigy when it comes to martial art so I think he must be a clever guy.

I think the problem with him is that he hold his principle of being gentleman to the extreme. He is fearless and therefore, when it comes to his own safety, he does not calculate much. He is also extremely stubborn.

When you are naive, fearless, and stubborn, you are deemed to be in trouble.

I personally have not thought much of Ximen ChuiXue's physical appearance but I know he would notice straightaway that something was not right the night when XF 'accidentally' killed his beloved woman.

I thought Gold Haired Lion is a closer comparison here. Both are supposedly big physically. Even their fate was in a way similar. Betrayed, framed, and along the way, caused the death of many people. But I never think of Xie Xun as one who is all about brute force. I think he is very calculative and definitely wiser than XF.

Not so much is it the physical description. For me It's more based on the actual martial arts performance. He did do some very cool stuff like erasing the stone marks by Duan Yanqing, but those are kind of overshadowed by his most notable (brute force) characteristic.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by shini_chan
    I think the problem with him is that he hold his principle of being gentleman to the extreme. He is fearless and therefore, when it comes to his own safety, he does not calculate much. He is also extremely stubborn.

When you are naive, fearless, and stubborn, you are deemed to be in trouble.
    Nope. Not gentleman, he held strongly to his principles of being a xia.

Its not his physical appearance that defines his style of martial arts, it's his character. And XL18Z is not exactly one of the world's most refined martial arts, moreover, readers have no idea what other kind of complement kung fu he used to refine his XL18Z to make it appear 'not so brute'. We just have to take JY's words literally that XF's XL18Z is extremely hard and menacingly powerful.