Thread: Xiao Feng or Qiao Feng

Default Xiao Feng or Qiao Feng

Why is it that everyone on this board calls our favorite Khitan warrior Xiao Feng and not Qiao Feng? I know that Xiao Feng is the real name but before coming on this board, most people I know that read the book or watched the adaptations called him Qiao Feng. This is kinda silly to ask but I was just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi
    Why is it that everyone on this board calls our favorite Khitan warrior Xiao Feng and not Qiao Feng? I know that Xiao Feng is the real name but before coming on this board, most people I know that read the book or watched the adaptations called him Qiao Feng. This is kinda silly to ask but I was just curious.
    The name "Qiao Feng" was used in the novel to refer to the man before he learnt that his real surname was "Xiao"; hence making him "Xiao Feng" from then on. However, those who did not know that he should be called "Xiao Feng" continued to call him "Qiao Feng" in the novel, e.g. the elders of the Beggars' Clan.

I prefer to use "Xiao Feng" because that is what he should be called.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

For me, "Kiu Fung" rolls off the tongue much better than "Siu Fung" does. I never did get used to the sound of "Siu Fung." "North Siu Fung" just doesn't sound as natural to me as "North Kiu Fung" does.

Xiao Feng is what he call himself and who he is at the end of the book - the more developed one, the more mature one and the more complete one. Xiao Feng is Khitan - the one who sacrificed himself for the survival of a different ethnic group.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    For me, "Kiu Fung" rolls off the tongue much better than "Siu Fung" does. I never did get used to the sound of "Siu Fung." "North Siu Fung" just doesn't sound as natural to me as "North Kiu Fung" does.
    Yeah for me Qiao Feng sounds better than Xiao Feng in cantonese. But then again...Xiao is Qiao Feng's real surname...isn't it?

I know that in the end his name becames Xiao Feng, but Qiao Feng somehow sounds better to me...so I just call him Qiao Feng. Plus, in the credits of TLBB '03 they still credit Hu Jun as "Qiao Feng".
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway