Thread: Did Wong Yerk See ever come to truly appreciate Gwok Jing?

Default Did Wong Yerk See ever come to truly appreciate Gwok Jing?

By the end of LOCH, East Heretic Wong Yerk See had come to accept Gwok Jing as his son-in-law because he realized that his beloved daughter Wong Yung would never be happy as the wife of any other man. That does not necessarily mean that Wong Yerk See actually *liked* Gwok Jing, however. To the end of LOCH, I got the sense that Wong Yerk See learned only to tolerate Gwok Jing rather than actually like him.

Early and midway through ROCH, that still seemed to be the case. Wong Yerk See left Peach Blossom Island because he couldn't abide living in the same household with Gwok Jing's teacher, Ohr Jen Ngok (Gong Nam Freak # 1). When he first met Yeung Gor a few years later, Wong Yerk See still referred to Gwok Jing as "an idiot." Only towards the end of ROCH did Wong Yerk See demonstrate anything even remotely like a genuinely respectful and appreciative attitude towards his son-in-law.

Did Wong Yerk See ever come to truly appreciate Gwok Jing, however, or did he, to the very end, merely tolerate the son-in-law who was so different from himself in so many ways?

I think that Huang Yaoshi was, at heart, a deeply patriotic man, so he had garnered a lot of respect for the "idiot" that defended their country for decades, but he definitely disliked Guo Jing's upright and strict personality. I don't think that that characteristic about GJ was something that HYS would ever like.

So, yeah, I think HYS only tolerated his son-in-law, but never really liked him. It was more of a "I don't like you, but damn it, do I respect you" sort of thing.

He did have a lot of respect for GJ, but personality wise, they were worlds apart. He didn't hate his son-in-law, but he also would not have gone out of his way to seek GJ for a weekend romp around town.
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

He did teach him Peach Blossom Martial Arts. Gave him the Flicking Finger. I say he liked him very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Radken
    He did teach him Peach Blossom Martial Arts. Gave him the Flicking Finger. I say he liked him very much.
    was it mentioned in the book that HYS actually taught him MA? maybe GJ just studied the manual by himself.

does GJ know divine flicking finger?

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    was it mentioned in the book that HYS actually taught him MA? maybe GJ just studied the manual by himself.

There was a specific part that said HYS taught GJ the true intricacies of his martial arts during the several years that they lived together.

I think they got along pretty well since it is hard to hate GJ, but HYS being HYS does not like how conformist GJ can be.

HYS probably got sick of hearing "Sir Father-in-law" as well. That's why througout ROCH he has been avoiding the Guos. He is sick of the formalities and generation gaps between each other.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    Yes. I believe he used it against the warriors whom Fok Do and Dat Yee Ba brought to the Chung Yeung Temple on the day that Gwok Jing brought young Yeung Gor there for the first time.

HYS taught GJ Peach Blossom martial arts probably due to the same reason H7G taught GJ XL18Z.