Thread: How much did his upbringing by the Kius influence Kiu Fung's heroic character?

Default How much did his upbringing by the Kius influence Kiu Fung's heroic character?

I've often compared Kiu Fung's adoptive Han parents, the Kius, to the Kents - the American farmers who raised the Kryptonian Kal-El to become the hero Superman. It was his Kryptonian heritage that gave Kal-El his great superpowers, but it was the strong morality with which the Kents raised Kal-El (as Clark Kent) that made him SUPERMAN, protector of the weak and champion of justice.

Do you think Kiu Fung's case was similar? His martial arts talent was his own, but his heroic character...did that come from the way the Kius raised him?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I've often compared Kiu Fung's adoptive Han parents, the Kius, to the Kents - the American farmers who raised the Kryptonian Kal-El to become the hero Superman. It was his Kryptonian heritage that gave Kal-El his great superpowers, but it was the strong morality with which the Kents raised Kal-El (as Clark Kent) that made him SUPERMAN, protector of the weak and champion of justice.

Do you think Kiu Fung's case was similar? His martial arts talent was his own, but his heroic character...did that come from the way the Kius raised him?
    I think the Kius taught him to be a honest and honourable person. Kiu Fung never let his fame get over his head which was what made him so popular as a leader apart from his MA prowess. I guess being brought up in a poor and oppressed family taught him to help others and stand up for justice. But both his mentors would have taught him heroic values as well to keep him in check as they were wary of his heritage.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Insofar as I can remember, the Kius were of little consequence to the future hero. IMO, what influenced his outcome the most are 1) his ancestry/genetics (talent, manliness), 2) his training at Shaolin and Beggar Clan (discipline, leadership), and 3) his troubles in the story (humility).
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Qiao's = Righteousness and self-sacrifice.