Thread: How is Sad Palms actually used?

TommyH
    Unregistered

Default How is Sad Palms actually used?

Sad Palms is a palm made by Yang Guo from many different types of martial arts. It is said by many members of this forum at many different threads that Sad Palms requires YG to be sad in order for it to be executed. So how exactly is Sad Palm require sadness for it to be used? I find this palm a bit too exaggerated for JY standards since it requires a certain emotion.

Nope, that is a misconception. YG can execute Sad palms at all times but the effect of the palm depends on his emotional state during the execution. The more melancholy he is during the time, the more devastating the palm will be.
    Still searching for my GuGu

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by R!chard
    Nope, that is a misconception. YG can execute Sad palms at all times but the effect of the palm depends on his emotional state during the execution. The more melancholy he is during the time, the more devastating the palm will be.
    Is it more like DY able to use his 6MSJ better when he's pissed off?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    Is it more like DY able to use his 6MSJ better when he's pissed off?
    Exactly. =p

The reason is because this palm style is said to be "connected to the heart". So this suggests that the sadder, the stronger the power. It would sound ridiculous to be able to use the full power just because someone killed your bug. So I think the sadder, the stronger.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

Sadness is needed to comprehend some of the more complex moves of the sad palms.

I.E. A sad man is less worried about his life than a happy man, so when practicing martial arts, he does not need to think of how to protect his own life. A regular unsad person is thinking about how to protect his own life while executing his martial art moves. Without being sad, certain moves of the Sad Palms are not effective at all.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

If you have been sad before, then you can still fully use all the stances.

Though some moves may be limited because of what Ardor said, but the power would also be just based off the internal. So no booster.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚

The palms relied on emotion to give it most of it's power. The face's he would pull could make people confused and manipulate people. It fitted YG's emotional nature to a tee
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    If you have been sad before, then you can still fully use all the stances.

Though some moves may be limited because of what Ardor said, but the power would also be just based off the internal. So no booster.
    Not true. YG couldn't use his sad palms with the same effect as before against JLFW because he reunited with XLN.
    Still searching for my GuGu

Not true. YG couldn't use his sad palms with the same effect as before against JLFW because he reunited with XLN.
    yes, I said that. YG can use the actual stances, but he can't get the power boost because he is not sad. In other words, if YG uses Melancholic Sad Palm, the palm energy would be purely based and supported from the internal. And this is exactly what I said before.

i've always had the conception that melancholy is just an action potential...doesn't mean he'll get more powerful the sadder he is, just he can't execute it and move correctly w/o the sad element.

perhaps he can do a psudo-move, but that'll just be like copying xl18z's outer appearance.

IMO, Melancholic Palms is a combination of the skills he learnt so it can be done without the emotional element. However, the misery YG felt is too much for him to take so YG tries to release his sadness through his palmstrikes. It is actually about his spiritual/emotional state which affected his physical power. JY says, "The heart affects the arm, and the arm affects the palm." Naturally, in his saddened state, YG couldn't care less about life and death(although he doesn't want to die so that he could see XLN again) and all of the other things in the world which has become now insignificant to him, with this kind of grief fuelling your power, YG's power is now no longer limited to just his internal energy.

This I find, quite possible, which of course, you guys might disagree. Considering the amount of effort GWM placed in his martial arts training, I am sure YG has placed considerable effort in his training too, but to say he became stronger than GWM because of just training would be IMO, quite senseless. I would attribute his success as caused by this third factor-- his emotions. Which is to say, emotions, to a certain extent, can be equally powerful as internal energy.

TommyH
    Unregistered

So the impression I'm getting off this current discussion is that the sadder YG is the more he doesn't care for his life and that he could use riskier but more powerful moves. Could anymore correct me if I'm wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacifian
    IMO, Melancholic Palms is a combination of the skills he learnt so it can be done without the emotional element.
    But the sadness IS a part of his skills. The sad palms was derived from everything he knew, including sadness. Emotion is an integral step in the sad palms
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.