Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gwok Jing's two major injuries in LOCH and ROCH

Default Gwok Jing's two major injuries in LOCH and ROCH

During his long career as a warrior in wulin, Gwok Jing sustained two major, life-threatening injuries. The first happened in LOCH when Gwok Jing was about nineteen years old. This injury was caused by the shock/recoil force of his still-developing Hong Lung 18 Palms impacting against West Poison Au Yeung Fung's Ha Mo Gung and aggravated by Yeung Hong's stabbing him in the chest with a dagger. Gwok Jing was fortunate that time that Au Yeung Fung's intent was to disable, not kill, or Gwok Jing likely would have died instantly. As it was, he required 10 days of healing (with Wong Yung's assistance) using the 9 Yum Jen Ging. Before the injury, Gwok Jing was impressively tough for his age, but still far short of a Great.

Some twenty years or so later, Gwok Jing was injured by the combined force of the Golden Wheel Monk, Siu Seung Tze, and Lui Mor Singh. His injuries were again very serious, but apparently not as severe as the Ha Mo Gung/stabbing injury he had sustained as a younger man. Moreover, as a fully-developed Greats-level fighter with complete mastery of the 9 Yum Jen Ging, ROCH Gwok Jing was able to recover from this injury more easily than from the one he had sustained during LOCH.

Questions:

1. How much worse was the LOCH injury than the ROCH injury?

2. In LOCH, Gwok Jing needed ten days to fully recover. How many days did it take him to recover from the ROCH injury?

Enough about Guo Jing already! We have enough about GJ.

August 2006 is Sword God Zhuo BuFan month!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=17378

Quote Originally Posted by CC

August 2006 is Sword God Zhuo BuFan month!
    Thank goodness the month is almost over...

Could you indulge me with a serious answer as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Thank goodness the month is almost over...
    Did we tell you that September 2006 is "The Man who reached the Peak of Perfection in Swordplay Zhuo BuFan" Month?

You might as well declare 2006 as the year of the "Zhuo"

You forgot one more serious injury of GJ in roch. The fight he had with Ouyang Feng when YG was still a kid, both GJ and Ouyang Feng got seriously wounded that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs
    You forgot one more serious injury of GJ in roch. The fight he had with Ouyang Feng when YG was still a kid, both GJ and Ouyang Feng got seriously wounded that night.
    That one wasn't as bad. Both fighters walked away from that one on their own power and neither injury was life-threatening.

That one wasn't as bad. Both fighters walked away from that one on their own power and neither injury was life-threatening.
    Ok then, I thought it was serious since Western Poison couldn't even fight Elder Ke at that time and had to recover for 7 days.

It was serious but not life-threatening. In both cases, the injury wasn't severe enough that they'd die if they didn't have help.

That doesn't include being killed while recuperating though obviously. That said, the injury in ROCH from fighting the Mongolian warriors wasn't any more severe than this injury either.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse
    That doesn't include being killed while recuperating though obviously. That said, the injury in ROCH from fighting the Mongolian warriors wasn't any more severe than this injury either.
    How many days did it take Gwok Jing to fully recover from injuries sustained in battle against the Mongolian mercenary warriors, Chrono? Gwok Jing was still incapacitated a day or two later when the Mongols attacked again, but he seemed to be back to full strength before Yeung Gor got his arm hacked off by Gwok Fu. How much time elapsed between those events?

And also, if we were to assign a number between 1-10 for magntitude of severity for each of Gwok Jing's injuries, what numbers would they be?

My estimate:

1). LOCH injury: 10 (he would have died)

2). first ROCH injury, against Au Yeung Fung: 4

3). second ROCH injury, against Mongolian warriors: 6

Questions:

1. How much worse was the LOCH injury than the ROCH injury?

2. In LOCH, Gwok Jing needed ten days to fully recover. How many days did it take him to recover from the ROCH injury?
    Does anyone remember that GJ almost forced himself on HR during that LOCH injury?
    Did GJ recover easier the last two times because HR was already his wife and he no longer suffered from those lusty desires? I'm just messing around but it's worth a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi
    Does anyone remember that GJ almost forced himself on HR during that LOCH injury?
    Did GJ recover easier the last two times because HR was already his wife and he no longer suffered from those lusty desires? I'm just messing around but it's worth a thought.
    I don't know, but I think temporarily heightened libido was one of the side effects of 9 Yum Jen Ging internal training.

I don't know, but I think temporarily heightened libido was one of the side effects of 9 Yum Jen Ging internal training.
    First, Guo Jing did not "almost forced himself on HR".

All that happened was this:

It was daybreak. When a ray of sunlight came in through the skylight and shone on Huang Rong's beautiful face, her fair complexion looked like the rosy clouds of dawn. Suddenly, Guo Jing felt that her palms were unusually warm and soft. His heart skipped a beat, and he quickly calmed himself down. By then, however, his face was totally red. He had never had such thoughts about Huang Rong in all the time that they had spent together, so he could not help but feel alarmed and upset with himself. (LOCH, Chapter 24, 2nd/3rd ed)

* Guo Jing got to talk a bit about his thoughts calmly after that and Huang Rong asked him if he wanted to kiss her, but before anything else could happen, Hou Tonghai and Sha Tongtian appeared.

Second, Guo Jing's thoughts about Huang Rong seemed to be caused by the sunlight on her face. She was already beautiful to begin with, but the effect of a sudden ray of sunlight can be quite wondrous.

If "temporarily heightened libido" was one of the side effects of 9 Yin training, it would probably have been mentioned at one point or other in the Condor Trilogy, since quite a number of people had the opportunity to dabble in it. And, at the risk of going off-topic and becoming risque, I'd like to throw up the possibility of the 9 Yang having more impact on libido than 9 Yin. 9 Yin is supposed to be neutral, compared to 9 Yang which is totally 'yang'; and the only practitioner of the full and complete 9 Yang happened to be more forthcoming in his feelings with women than anyone who had ever done 9 Yin.
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 08-22-06 at 11:23 PM.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

This excerpt was from chapter 25 of the 2nd edition which showed that GJ had trouble controlling his physical desire for HR after being injured and that practicing 9YIN increased his lustful thoughts. GJ only regained control of himself after HR pricked him with her armor. Someone please correct me if my translation is wrong.

郭靖身受重傷之後,定力
    大減,修習這九陰大法之時又是不斷受到心中魔頭侵擾,這時聽到陸、程二人親
    熱笑語,身旁又是個自己愛念無極的如花少女,漸漸把持不定,只覺全身情熱如
    沸,轉過身子,伸右手去抱她肩膀。

但聽他呼吸急促,手掌火燙,黃蓉暗暗心驚,忙道:「靖哥哥,留神,快定
    心沉氣。」郭靖心旌搖動,急道:「我不成啦,蓉兒,我……我……」說著便要
    站起身來。黃蓉大急,道:「千萬別動!」郭靖強行坐下,呼吸了幾下,心中煩
    躁之極,胸口如要爆裂,哀求道:「蓉兒,你救救我。」又要長身站起。黃蓉喝
    道:「坐著!你一動我就點你穴道。」郭靖道:「對,你快點,我管不住自己。

黃蓉心知他穴道若被封閉,內息室滯,這兩日的修練之功不免付諸東流,又
    得從頭練起,但眼下情勢急迫,只要他一起身,立時有性命之憂,一咬牙,左臂
    回轉,以「蘭花拂穴手」去拂他左胸第十一肋骨處的「章門穴」。手指將拂到他
    穴道,哪知郭靖的內功已頗為精湛,身上一遇外力來襲,肌肉立轉,不由自主的
    避開了她手指,黃蓉連拂兩下,都未拂中,第三下欲待再拂,忽然左腕一緊,已
    被他伸手拿住。

此時天色微明,黃蓉見他眼中血紅如欲噴火,心中更驚,但覺他拉著自己手
    腕,嘴裡言語模糊,神智似已失常,情急下橫臂突肘,猛將肩頭往他臂上撞去。
    軟蝟甲上尖針刺入臂肉,郭靖一陣疼痛,怔了一怔,忽聽得村中公雞引吭長啼,
    腦海中猶如電光一閃,心中登時清明,緩緩放下黃蓉手腕,慚愧無已。

yeah, Wudi is correct.
    9 Yin had an "wanting" effect. In addition, it's also because GJ was injured; therefore not able to control himself as well.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

This excerpt was from chapter 25 of the 2nd edition which showed that GJ had trouble controlling his physical desire for HR after being injured and that practicing 9YIN increased his lustful thoughts. GJ only regained control of himself after HR pricked him with her armor. Someone please correct me if my translation is wrong.
    郭靖身受重傷之後,定力大減(1),修習這九陰大法之時又是不斷受到心中魔頭侵擾,這時聽到陸、程二人親熱笑語(2),身旁又是個自己愛念無極的如花少女(3),漸漸把持不定,只覺全身情 熱如沸,轉過身子,伸右手去抱她肩膀。
    The key is in the underlined section of the paragraph above, as explained below:
    After being injured, Guo Jing's emotional resistance was greatly reduced (see Note 1). Now, as he practised the 9 Yin, he was also continuously disturbed by the impurities in his heart.

A few things:

1. At that time, Guo Jing was not practising the 9 Yin merely for the sake of learning it. He was practising a particular section of it (the "healing" section, as stated in Chapter 24), so that he could recover from his injuries.

2. He was disturbed by the impurities in his heart while he was practising the 9 Yin for the healing of his injuries. The term "impurities of the heart" comes from a school of thought that believes in a person's heart being not 100% pure/good. It is like the "devil/angel on the shoulder" thing in western thought. So basically, when a person's emotional resistance is weakened, the voice of the "devil on his shoulder" would logically sound more prominent than the voice of the "angel". This is also the basis for "fire deviation" [走火入魔] in wuxia stories, where (over-)practising internal strength techniques without the correct frame of mind often led to a change in the practitioner's temperament and a loss of reason/self-control. Therefore, the practice of 9 Yin per se did not "increase [Guo Jing's] lustful thoughts".

3. Guo Jing's weak emotional resistance and the continuous disturbance of the impurities in his heart were compounded by two other circumstances: the affectionate banter of Lu Guanying and Cheng Youjia (see Note 2) and the presence of the beautiful Huang Rong (Note 3). Finally, he lost it and had to be brought back to his senses by Huang Rong's armour.

Therefore, I believe that practising 9 Yin in itself did not lead to an increase in lustful thoughts at all. If it did, what consequences did it produce for other practitioners of the 9 Yin, as documented in the Condor Trilogy?
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 08-22-06 at 11:23 PM.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    Therefore, I believe that practising 9 Yin in itself did not lead to an increase in lustful thoughts at all. If it did, what consequences did it produce for other practitioners of the 9 Yin, as documented in the Condor Trilogy?
    I don't believe that 9YIN by itself would lead to those lustful thoughts, rather it's the combination of injury and practicing 9YIN that would lead to having such thoughts.

That's great. We've discovered a formula to get horny in wuxia. All you have to do is to get injured, and then practice a particular section of 9 Yin. Not bad. Very adventurous. Wish I could achieve this... state the next time I get injured. Now all I need is a hot wife.

ANYWAY.... about that SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan.....
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    That's great. We've discovered a formula to get horny in wuxia. All you have to do is to get injured, and then practice a particular section of 9 Yin.
    Feh...Wai Siu Bo can do that with no manual at all.

hm.... I was expecting PJ to say that his "imaginary" wife got injured and needed to use 9 Yin to cure herself. I wonder if PJ would think it's interesting then....
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗