Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Jinyong Character Level Ranking Chart - Page 12
Page 12 of 66 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 1303

Thread: Jinyong Character Level Ranking Chart

  1. #221
    Senior Member ChronoReverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,858

    Default

    I don't think there's any reason to put DGQB at Sweeper Monk's level. Sweeps was meant to be a near godly figure who showed the prowess of someone with enlightenment. To be able to take a direct hit from HL18(28)P shows how incredible he was (even if he broke a few ribs)

    DGQB was, as someone once put it, a sword geek...

  2. #222
    Senior Member Ren Ying Ying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hell in the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    3,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    Wang Chongyang also took on the martial world and no one under heaven ever defeated him. By your logic, we should rank Wang Chongyang and Dugu Qiubai more closely. They were also, likely, near contempories.
    but what effects has wang chongyang's martial arts taken on other people?
    ZBT--which is certainly not bad.

    but compare it to the other side. Look what effect a slice of DGQB's martial arts has taken upon YG (HIS & ocean training) & LHC.

  3. #223
    Moderator Ren Wo Xing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Currently DC
    Posts
    6,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    I don't think there's any reason to put DGQB at Sweeper Monk's level. Sweeps was meant to be a near godly figure who showed the prowess of someone with enlightenment. To be able to take a direct hit from HL18(28)P shows how incredible he was (even if he broke a few ribs)

    DGQB was, as someone once put it, a sword geek...
    I don't think there's any reason to put Sweeper Monk at DGQB's level. DGQB was supposed to be the epitome of martial arts who showed the prowess of someone who totally integrated his very life and being into it. For small parts of his skills, not even directly transmitted, to create talents such as Yang Guo, Linghu Chong, and Feng Qingyang shows how incredible he was.

    Sweeper Monk was, as RWX just now puts it, just another Shaolin bald donkey.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

  4. #224
    Senior Member ChronoReverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,858

    Default

    Haha, you got me there.

    Still, DGQB reached a stage of overcoming sword without a sword, Sweeper achieved a state of enlightenment.


    That is to say, DGQB achieved the epitome of sword. This was JY's intention at the very least.

    Sweeper seems more to be the mysterious monk with full enlightenment. Moreover, he was able to dominate two XF level fighters with ease thus giving an actual demonstration of ability. Thematically, I would think that Sweeper was intended to be a physical manifestation of a higher plane of martial arts understanding.
    Last edited by ChronoReverse; 07-07-08 at 06:23 PM.

  5. #225
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,530

    Default

    Yang Guo's greatest skill was his own creation.

    Yang Guo and Linghu Chong didn't learn small slices of Dugu Qiubai's martial art. They each learned an integral part of DGQB's sword skill.

    The sword was DGQB's path to enlightenment. Given his unwaning ego, I'd say DGQB never reached true enlightenment.

    DGQB's sword art was powerful. However, so was Taichi Sword. ZWJ was able to defeat a highly skilled swordsman using the Heaven Sword after learning it for just a few minutes. Imagine how much better he'd be after having completely mastering Taichi Sword.

    Everybody has a different way, different path to enlightenment. Just as everybody needs to learn their own path in the martial arts. The sword was DGQB's way. And he certainly mastered it. However, it doesn't necessarily make DGQB a god. Given the sword path, GJ might never have reached Greats level. His path was the palm. And just because he used a palm instead of the sword doesn't make him less of a powerful martial artist as DGQB. XL18(28)Z had 3 Greats level warriors using it.
    Last edited by Dennis Chen; 07-07-08 at 06:25 PM.

  6. #226
    Senior Member ChanceEncounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    What was the caliber of DGQB's opponents? Show me someone he fought that proves your point.
    There is none. But he is considered the top duelist in an era when there were plenty of good duelists. As I said, he was likely a contemporary of people like Xu Zhu and Duan Yu. Huang Shang likely overlapped with his lifetime. The inventor of Sunflower and 9 Yang could also fit in this timeslot.

    Why don't you ask Jin Yong before you assume all of his opponents were donkeys? Given that he was recognized as the best and took on the martial world, it's MORE likely than he beat other people who could compete for the #1 ranking than people who would lose to bandits.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    Wang Chongyang also took on the martial world and no one under heaven ever defeated him. By your logic, we should rank Wang Chongyang and Dugu Qiubai more closely. They were also, likely, near contempories.
    DGQB never even had anyone force him to defend. WCY needed many days to convince a few guys he was stronger than them. He needed to fake his death to overcome OYF. WCY was always a little behind LCY; who was DGQB trailing?

    It's not "my logic." It's logic, period.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    It's certainly logical to rank him high, at least on the level of Yang Guo and the other Greats. But to rank him with Sweeper Monk, without proof, is a leap of faith.

    You haven't proven anything. Because, you've based your argument on unproven assumptions and using them as statements of fact.
    You obviously have enormous difficulty with reading comprehension.

    Understanding what you're reading is integral to logical deduction. You evidently are lacking. I never said I proved DGQB is on Sweeps level. Show me where I said that? Where's the unproven assumptions that I used as statements of facts?

    I said he is, at the very least, stronger than YG and LHC (and arguably, much stronger); and logically, should be considerably stronger than DFBB. His ambiguity and author intention (including being mentioned in DOMD just to bring up the 'he's badass' card) gives him enough room that ranking him with Sweeper Monk is not an impossibility.

    In other words, we HAVE infomation to indicate that WCY's maximum is not much stronger than LOCH greats. We have NO information to indicate where DGQB's maximum is.

    Now, since you evidently lack logic, if I said that WCY is facing a MYSTERY opponent, would you say he would win?

    You would be an idiot to claim that he would win. The mystery opponent could be Spiderman, it could be the Hulk, it could be Galactus. The fact that DGQB's martial level is only explained in philosophical terms and is still shrouded in mystery, you would be a similar idiot to dock him points for something you don't know. Period. QED. Done.

    When you actually have an argument, come back to me before picking at scraps.

    Yang Guo's greatest skill was his own creation.
    Where was this mentioned in the canon?

    In fact, we have reason to assume he did not reach the "wood sword" level of DGQB, since he still took a metal sword against GWM post-16 years, and lamented over the fact that he was too arrogant and should have brought along his HIS. Since DGQB did reach the wood sword level (and beyond), it should be proof that he's well above YG.

    Where was it said that Sad Palms > HIS?
    Last edited by ChanceEncounter; 07-07-08 at 06:59 PM.

  7. #227
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,376

    Default

    Pfff, you guys are all wrong. Zhang Sanfeng Zhang Real Man has reached the pinnacle of ALL martial arts. He has reached the stage of being able to overcome any task as his heart desires. Zhang Real Man is the real deal.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  8. #228
    Senior Member ChanceEncounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Pfff, you guys are all wrong. Zhang Sanfeng Zhang Real Man has reached the pinnacle of ALL martial arts. He has reached the stage of being able to overcome any task as his heart desires. Zhang Real Man is the real deal.
    It must be true.

    No one else is called a "real man." Zhang Sanfeng must be the greatest.

  9. #229
    Moderator Ren Wo Xing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Currently DC
    Posts
    6,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    Haha, you got me there.

    Still, DGQB reached a stage of overcoming sword without a sword, Sweeper achieved a state of enlightenment.


    That is to say, DGQB achieved the epitome of sword. This was JY's intention at the very least.

    Sweeper seems more to be the mysterious monk with full enlightenment. Moreover, he was able to dominate two XF level fighters with ease thus giving an actual demonstration of ability. Thematically, I would think that Sweeper was intended to be a physical manifestation of a higher plane of martial arts understanding.
    A higher plane of martial arts understanding. Which is essentially what Yang Guo said about Dugu Qiubai. Yang Guo had received the direct tutelage of Ouyang Feng and Huang Yaoshi, a few casual lessons from Hong Qigong, had sparred with Zhou Botong, and fought multiple times with Jinlun Fawang. He even learned many lessons from the fabled Jiuying, but he was never awed or as amazed as he was by the legacy of Dugu Qiubai. Yang Guo, a supremely confident and arrogant person, professed DGQB to certainly be unbelievably more capable and intelligent than him. What does this say?

    DGQB and Sweeper Monk are essentially the two sides of the same coin; they fill the role of the "世外高人", which is often a standard deus ex machina in this type of novel. Sweeper Monk filled the role of the cliche Buddhist "世外高人"; wise, enlightened, and detached from everyday affairs. DGQB filled the role of cliche Daoist "世外高人"; a man who has transcended the abilities of everyone around him, and who then retreated to live in solitude in a deserted valley. And when I use the phrase 'Daoist', I do not refer to the philosophy or religion; rather, the Daoism of Chinese myth and legends, folk Daoism. Sweeper Monk is the ultimate Buddhist martial artist archetype; DGQB is the ultimate folk Daoist martial artist/swordsman. I see little to no contradiction in ranking them on the same level.

    Jinyong had the legacy of Dugu Qiubai be the catalyst/supreme martial arts of the main characters of TWO of his novels, and then referenced him in yet a third, hundreds of years after the events of the first two. There's a reason for that.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 07-07-08 at 10:57 PM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

  10. #230
    Senior Member Ren Ying Ying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hell in the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    3,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    DGQB's sword art was powerful. However, so was Taichi Sword. ZWJ was able to defeat a highly skilled swordsman using the Heaven Sword after learning it for just a few minutes. Imagine how much better he'd be after having completely mastering Taichi Sword.
    i do not dispute taiji is a great & ground breaking art in the JY cannon and perhaps the closest thing that comes to DG9J in theory. neither do I deny that Zhang Sanfeng is one of the greatest martial artists in the jinyong universe (even JY said so in one of his interviews, i believe). still, i'd like to clarify a few things about ZWJ & Taiji.

    If I remember correctly, it was said that ZWJ would not have been able to perform the way he did if he did not know QKDNY and did not already have a strong internal energy. Likewise, he was not able to defeat Fang Dongbai w/o utilizing his strong internal energy. in other words, he was still heavily reliant on his internal energy. even without taiji, ZWJ still had a chance against Ah Da, though risky and no in terms of sword skill.

    on the other hand, Linghu Chong & YG were mostly reliant on DGQB's skills. LHC was able to go from zero to hero after learning the basics of DG9J. he relied on no internal energy basis. the same goes to Yang Guo and the heavy iron sword. YG erased pretty much all previous knowledge of sword skills and the power he gained was vast compared to what he started with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen
    Everybody has a different way, different path to enlightenment. Just as everybody needs to learn their own path in the martial arts. The sword was DGQB's way. And he certainly mastered it. However, it doesn't necessarily make DGQB a god. Given the sword path, GJ might never have reached Greats level. His path was the palm. And just because he used a palm instead of the sword doesn't make him less of a powerful martial artist as DGQB. XL18(28)Z had 3 Greats level warriors using it.
    no one claimed DGQB to be a god. He was just better than everyone else, that's all
    GJ would not have reached "great level" if he only learned XL18Z and not 9 yin. But of course, that is not to say XL18Z is not a great art. it certainly is. and its creator must be a genius, too...except we have no idea who it is.
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 07-08-08 at 01:31 AM.

  11. #231
    Senior Member jadebunny9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hoppingland
    Posts
    2,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Jinyong had the legacy of Dugu Qiubai be the catalyst/supreme martial arts of the main characters of TWO of his novels, and then referenced him in yet a third, hundreds of years after the events of the first two. There's a reason for that.
    Yes, there's a reason for it. And that is that Jin Yong was in love with DGQB, one of his own creations, which really reminds us of the Pygmalion and Galatea story...but I digress.

    Anyway, I don't see how DGQB couldn't have achieved enlightenment through his sword. DGQB and Sweeper Monk are both very enlightened individuals who have truly reached the peak of perfection through different routes.

  12. #232
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    Yes, there's a reason for it. And that is that Jin Yong was in love with DGQB, one of his own creations, which really reminds us of the Pygmalion and Galatea story...but I digress.
    I'd call Dook Goo Kau Bai a "Gary Stu" (compare "Mary Sue"), except that Dook Goo Kau Bai wasn't a character: he was a plot device.

  13. #233
    Senior Member ChanceEncounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I'd call Dook Goo Kau Bai a "Gary Stu" (compare "Mary Sue"), except that Dook Goo Kau Bai wasn't a character: he was a plot device.
    In some ways, he really is.

    Even LHC and YG are in awe/admire him for his intelligence and talent. LHC certainly is pretty damn smart, considering he learned the first stance of DG9J in a day compared to FQY (no dummy himself) in three months. This makes him, for all intents and purposes, a supremely intelligent man (arguably the smartest depicted/referenced in the series) with absolute dedication to his art who reached the zenith of Taoist enlightment and sword mastery. RWX said it well: he's the deus ex machina of Jin Yong.

  14. #234
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    It must be true.

    No one else is called a "real man." Zhang Sanfeng must be the greatest.
    Wang Zhen Ren.

  15. #235
    Senior Member Ren Ying Ying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hell in the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    3,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    Wang Zhen Ren.
    who the hell the Wang Zhen Ren?

  16. #236
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    There is none.
    This is a true statement.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    But he is considered the top duelist in an era when there were plenty of good duelists.
    Again: show me one of these opponents.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Why don't you ask Jin Yong before you assume all of his opponents were donkeys? Given that he was recognized as the best and took on the martial world, it's MORE likely than he beat other people who could compete for the #1 ranking than people who would lose to bandits..
    Why don't you ask Jin Yong the caliber of opponents DGQB faced? DGQB was SELF-proclaimed as the best in the world. No one else in the Canon ever makes that claim.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    WCY was always a little behind LCY; who was DGQB trailing?
    Again: show me one of these opponents.


    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    It's not "my logic." It's logic, period.
    It's not logic. It's a leap of faith. There is no proof that DGQB was on the level of Sweeper Monk. None.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    You obviously have enormous difficulty with reading comprehension.
    A personal attack? Already?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Understanding what you're reading is integral to logical deduction.
    Facts are the basis of logical deduction. Not conjecture.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    I said he is, at the very least, stronger than YG and LHC (and arguably, much stronger); and logically, should be considerably stronger than DFBB. His ambiguity and author intention (including being mentioned in DOMD just to bring up the 'he's badass' card) gives him enough room that ranking him with Sweeper Monk is not an impossibility.
    Wait. What? Linghu Chong was not stronger than DFBB.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    In other words, we HAVE infomation to indicate that WCY's maximum is not much stronger than LOCH greats. We have NO information to indicate where DGQB's maximum is.
    You're right. All we have are DGQB's own words.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Now, since you evidently lack logic, if I said that WCY is facing a MYSTERY opponent, would you say he would win?
    By your logic, since Wang Chongyang was undefeated under all of heaven, Wang Chongyang, of course.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    You would be an idiot to claim that he would win. The mystery opponent could be Spiderman, it could be the Hulk, it could be Galactus. The fact that DGQB's martial level is only explained in philosophical terms and is still shrouded in mystery, you would be a similar idiot to dock him points for something you don't know. Period. QED. Done.
    You're beginning to prove my point. Because DGQB's opponents could very well have been no more powerful than any of the Quanzhen disciples.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    When you actually have an argument, come back to me before picking at scraps.
    Comeback when you don't have to resort to personal insults to prove yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    In fact, we have reason to assume he did not reach the "wood sword" level of DGQB, since he still took a metal sword against GWM post-16 years, and lamented over the fact that he was too arrogant and should have brought along his HIS. Since DGQB did reach the wood sword level (and beyond), it should be proof that he's well above YG.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Where was it said that Sad Palms > HIS?
    Well, we know for a fact that Sad Palms can defeat Jinlun Guoshi.
    Last edited by Dennis Chen; 07-08-08 at 03:10 AM.

  17. #237
    Senior Member ChanceEncounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    Again: show me one of these opponents.
    What are you trying to prove by touting the same thing ad nauseum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    Why don't you ask Jin Yong the caliber of opponents DGQB faced? DGQB was SELF-proclaimed as the best in the world. No one else in the Canon ever makes that claim.
    Read DOMD. Read SPW

    Oops. What proof do you have that he's lying?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    Again: show me one of these opponents.
    Might as well replace yourself with a windup doll.

    So what exactly does not knowing his opponents prove? Nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    It's not logic. It's a leap of faith. There is no proof that DGQB was on the level of Sweeper Monk. None.
    And there's no evidence that he wasn't.

    As RWX already established, it's not a very big leap of faith to put him on the same level.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    A personal attack? Already?
    No, I remarked that you did not comprehend my post. Fact.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    Facts are the basis of logical deduction. Not conjecture.
    The deductions I used were all based on fact.

    I proved he should be at least noticeably stronger than DFBB, YG, and LHC. Furthermore, I issued the true statement that his maximum is not established.

    Again, what are you trying to prove? You're not doing a good job.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    Wait. What? Linghu Chong was not stronger than DFBB.
    Because he did not fully master his DG9J. JY himself has stated that he thinks DG9J would beat Sunflower/Pixie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    You're right. All we have are DGQB's own words.
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

    If you can't understand this, I suppose I really was right in claiming that you have no reading comprehension.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    By your logic, since Wang Chongyang was undefeated under all of heaven, Wang Chongyang, of course.
    What a ridiculous straw man.

    I already said that it would be an idiotic leap of faith to claim that WCY would beat a "mystery" opponent.

    You aren't very entertaining if you just stonewall my points and repeat the same nonsensical ones ad nauseum. Are you done yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    You're beginning to prove my point. Because DGQB's opponents could very well have been no more powerful than any of the Quanzhen disciples.
    And they could also be Xu Zhu and Duan Yu (stronger versions than the ones at the end of DGSD) and Huang Shang.

    Again, prove that they were no more powerful than Quanzhen disciples. Considering he was considered the best in the world, it would be more logical to assume he beat people would could contend for that title rather than nameless flukies. Most people don't declare/get declared the best after beating some noobs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    Comeback when you don't have to resort to personal insults to prove yours.
    Cute, you can parrot what I'm saying.

    Again, where's your argument. Form a logical proof, please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    Reason to assume? Based on whose words? His own?
    Great argument!

    Let's assume everything DGQB said in his tomb, everything mentioned in DOMD, and everything FQY said is completely false!

    In related news, if we assume that Sweeper Monk really occured in a collective dream, he wasn't really that strong! What a crock.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    Well, we know for a fact that Sad Palms can defeat Jinlun Guoshi.
    Which isn't proof that Sad Palms > HIS. Sorry.



    My goodness, Dennis. Please, take a course at your local community college in logic. Your entire argument basically boils down to "We never see DGQB so he must be crappier than Sweeps." Riiiiiight. In the face of that remarkable line of thought, how could real logic compare?
    Last edited by ChanceEncounter; 07-08-08 at 03:21 AM.

  18. #238
    Senior Member Ren Ying Ying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hell in the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    3,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    Well, we know for a fact that Sad Palms can defeat Jinlun Guoshi.
    we also know for a fact that Yang Guo regretted not bringing his Heavy Iron Sword. gee...i mean, if it would only be logical for Yang Guo to wish he had brought something "inferior" to his techniques when he's already losing.

  19. #239
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    What are you trying to prove by touting the same thing ad nauseum?
    That you have no facts to base your "logic" on.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Read DOMD. Read SPW.

    Oops. What proof do you have that he's lying?
    The burden of proof is on you to prove he's telling the truth. Okay, sure, DGQB is the greatest swordsman to ever live. That doesn't prove that he can defeat Sweeper Monk. Or Xiao Feng (the man with the fiercest palm in the world) for that matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Might as well replace yourself with a windup doll.
    Are you resorting to personal attacks because you have no proof?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    So what exactly does not knowing his opponents prove? Nothing.
    It will prove just how powerful he really is.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    And there's no evidence that he wasn't.
    Okay, then we go back to what I posted before. At most, there's not enough information to rank him at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    As RWX already established, it's not a very big leap of faith to put him on the same level.
    I'm beginning to feel like I'm arguing against a Jehovah's Witness as to whether or not God exists.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    No, I remarked that you did not comprehend my post. Fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    The deductions I used were all based on fact.
    What is this fact? That DGQB said he was the most powerful? No proof there. That his kung fu allowed Yang Guo and LHC to become powerful? It's been established that the strength of the kung fu is not a correlation as to how powerful it's creator is.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    I proved he should be at least noticeably stronger than DFBB, YG, and LHC. Furthermore, I issued the true statement that his maximum is not established.
    So we go back to one of my original assertions. We don't know enough about DGQB to rank him at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
    You're right. That means that the only conclusion that can be drawn is that it's inconclusive.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    If you can't understand this, I suppose I really was right in claiming that you have no reading comprehension.
    Ad hominem.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    What a ridiculous straw man.

    I already said that it would be an idiotic leap of faith to claim that WCY would beat a "mystery" opponent.
    As idiotic as the straw man that DGQB can defeat all opponents just because he said so?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    You aren't very entertaining if you just stonewall my points and repeat the same nonsensical ones ad nauseum. Are you done yet?
    Ad hominem.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Again, prove that they were no more powerful than Quanzhen disciples. Considering he was considered the best in the world, it would be more logical to assume he beat people would could contend for that title rather than nameless flukies. Most people don't declare/get declared the best after beating some noobs.
    Prove that they are. You keep answering my question with questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Cute, you can parrot what I'm saying.

    Again, where's your argument. Form a logical proof, please.


    Great argument!

    Let's assume everything DGQB said in his tomb, everything mentioned in DOMD, and everything FQY said is completely false!

    In related news, if we assume that Sweeper Monk really occured in a collective dream, he wasn't really that strong! What a crock.

    Which isn't proof that Sad Palms > HIS. Sorry.

    My goodness, Dennis. Please, take a course at your local community college in logic. Your entire argument basically boils down to "We never see DGQB so he must be crappier than Sweeps." Riiiiiight. In the face of that remarkable line of thought, how could real logic compare?
    Ad hominem.

    *sigh*

    I'm going to bed.

    Last edited by Dennis Chen; 07-08-08 at 03:48 AM.

  20. #240
    Senior Member jadebunny9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hoppingland
    Posts
    2,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    I'm beginning to feel like I'm arguing against a Jehovah's Witness as to whether or not God exists.
    This slightly reminds me of a certain someone.......


    I'm going to have to start charging royalties if you got this where I think you got it from.



    Chillax guys. Let's keep the discussion friendly.

Similar Threads

  1. Your most disliked main character in Jinyong
    By aniking_8 in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-11-18, 01:24 AM
  2. Which female Character is the strongest in Jinyong?
    By aniking_8 in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-02-18, 09:00 AM
  3. Jinyong main character best!
    By aniking_8 in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 01-17-17, 10:02 PM
  4. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-12-09, 08:43 AM
  5. Ranking of DGSD heroes below 4th level
    By PJ in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-05-06, 09:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •