Page 8 of 98 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast

Thread: Jinyong Character Level Ranking Chart

Well...just moments before, Zhou Botong had also claimed that Huang Rong was superior to JLGS. So I really have my doubts regarding the veracity of ZBT's claims.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Well...just moments before, Zhou Botong had also claimed that Huang Rong was superior to JLGS. So I really have my doubts regarding the veracity of ZBT's claims.
    If Chow Bak Tung had spoken a few minutes longer, he would have gotten to, "Even that old blind freak Ohr Jen Ngok can beat that damn dirty Golden Wheel Monk!"

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    If WCY was stronger than late ROCH Greats, then why was there even a Hua Shan tournament? It would have been pointless as WCY would be soo far ahead of everyone else. Throughout LOCH and ROCH the Greats mastered/invented many techniques, all received boosts from 9 Yin, and GWM was said to have doubled his internal (the validity of this is shaky) in 16 years.
    You missed my point. ZBT (a dubious source) claimed that if WCY was still alive as of late ROCH, he would beat GWM.

It's not inconceivable that if WCY had managed to live that long, he would keep improving just like everyone else.

i believe there would be tradeoffs. when WCY gets older. he'll probably lose physical vitality but internal energy wise... and of course being older did not mean he did not practice anymore. just look at ZSF.

maybe Hua Shan tournament was just a way to tell the world that the greats are already sure to possess the Jiu Yin manual, lesser mortals need not apply

For some reason, I can no longer edit my first/second post in this thread to update the list.

If I used Advanced edit, it just goes to database error. If I use the normal edit, the whole textbox simply disappears (refresh brings back the unedited one).

I've seen this problem mentioned in the "technical" forum, but they said it has been fixed. Can anyone try editing their posts (Especially those older ones back in 06)

Seems like a database formatting issue.

I do wonder about putting Zhang Wuji and Zhang Sanfeng at 80 though, especially when Guo Jing and Yang Guo are 3 or 4 levels lower. By your scale:

2) 3 Lv Below - B would be beaten after a very long and close fight.
    3) 5 Lv Below - B would definitely lose but not before putting up a good fight.

I believe it was mentioned that Zhang Wuji, Zhang Sanfeng, Guo Jing, and Yang Guo were all roughtly equal in internal. Skill wise, I also can't see any of them having a significant advantage over each other, so I'd say the four of them are all on the same tier.

Yes, the list is quite outdated (haven't update anything major in 2 years). I've revised it totally based on all the arguments/opinions presented in this thread and the forum. Characters have moved up and down and many many more individuals have been added.

Unfortunately, I am unable to post up the new list!

I've post this issue in the technical forum, hopefully it gets resolved soon.

Alright! The technical problem is solved and I've updated the list with a BRAND NEW one!

For this list, I've taken into account opinions from numerous sources and their interpretation of each character combat ability. All the new levels are based on the arguments presented, and dozens of modifications have been made since the first version. I believed it's more accurate than ever before.

Of course, there will always be new points to bring up. So, I'll continue to update the list as necessary. If you're unhappy with where you think a character is at, feel free to "request" a change by presenting your argument!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The changes from the previous one are too many to list, but I'll just do a summary.

1) 3 LV, 5LV difference

I didn't phrase this very well the last time, so I've further clarified it in the new rule. This means even if a character is 3LV - 5LV below, it's not 100% he'll lose. For example, if he's extremely strong willed, or in so called "trance mode" (e.g. Xiao Feng, Yang Guo), or his opponent is his most hated enemy (Xie Xun to Cheng Kun), he can still win!

On the other hand, if one greatly underestimate his opponent, or is distracted by some sources, he can still lose to someone 5LV below him.

However, if the difference is too huge (LV10) then he would definitely lose UNLESS of course fatal factors like "poison" etc are taken in.

2) Many more characters

I've added in many more of the weaker characters in the LV 30 to LV50 region, so there might be some arguments here and there. They includes many from Xiao Ao Jiang Hu (XA) and also the "Jin Empires Experts" from She Diao (LO).

3) ROCH Characters

If you've noticed, half of the posts in this thread relates to the ranking of the ROCH greats. I've did my best and shifted everyone around after hearing everyone arguments. I believed it's the best possible one already, but feel free to add on!

LV 78: Yang Guo (RO)
    LV 77: Guo Jing (RO)
    LV 77: Zhou Botong (RO)
    LV 77: Jinlun Guoshi / Fawang(RO)
    LV 75: East Heretic, Huang Yao Shi (RO)
    LV 75: South Emperor, Yideng (RO)

LV 72: Qiu Qian Ren / Ci En (RO)
    Last edited by WuxiaMaster; 07-02-08 at 06:46 AM.

Hi WuxiaMaster,

Just some thoughts:

1) Ren Ying Ying on par with Qu Yang and above DingYi/DingXian? Maybe XAJH experts like Ren Woxing, HHaung, Pokit can comment on this?
    2) Brother Condor at lvl40, below Ouyang Ke, Mei Chaofeng seems out of place. The bird clashed power with Zhou Botong and at least survived the blows, Zhou Botong praised the bird's power seem to suggest power wise brother condor should be somewhere near to Zhou Botong.
    Last edited by shortsight; 06-30-08 at 11:30 PM.

I personally am very interested in the gap in ability between Greats and Elite non-Greats. The gap seems to be very very small to me. For example, Gongsun Chi was able to hold off Jade Maiden for many stances before being defeated. Golden Wheel Monk was defeated by Jade Maiden. Golden Wheel Monk was also said to have been unable to end a fight with Guo Jing within a thousand stances. So I guess that puts Gongsun Chi not far from GWM, who is very close to GJ, who is a Great. GWM also could not defeat the likes of LMC or the Mongolian mercenaries within a couple hundred stances, placing him not very far ahead of them. In addition, YG stated that LMC was similar in ability to QCJ. All of this makes the gap between Greats and elite non-Greats such as LMC, QCJ, and HR very small.

Just want to say my 2 bit: is Zhou Zhi Ruo at level 40 with her Jiu Yin skills? She is still below Mie Jue despite that? and also below Mei Chaofeng (blinded)?
    This doesn't seem to add up...

Quote Originally Posted by boycetwc View Post
    Just want to say my 2 bit: is Zhou Zhi Ruo at level 40 with her Jiu Yin skills? She is still below Mie Jue despite that? and also below Mei Chaofeng (blinded)?
    This doesn't seem to add up...
    ZZR didnt gain much with her White bone claws. She just surpriced everyone with wierd moves. JY stated in the novel that her level was still way belove 2nd wudan hero.

But the adaptations like to portrait her to be at ZWJs level, but she did not have much time to train really. ZWJ did have any trouble dealing with her (except emotionally). During the last fight against the Du monks, she didnt even have the skills to enter the demon subdoing formation. ZWJ pretty much fought for him self.
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Golden Wheel Monk was defeated by Jade Maiden. Golden Wheel Monk was also said to have been unable to end a fight with Guo Jing within a thousand stances. So I guess that puts Gongsun Chi not far from GWM, who is very close to GJ, who is a Great.

But every time Gongsun Zhi face Jade Maiden, either YG and XLN were both heavily posioned.

That made a huge difference.

The Condor is rated WAY too low. See below.

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showpost...07&postcount=4
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

I agree that the Condor is rated too low. But that may be because of my bias in considering the Condor one of my favorite 'characters.'

Also, I think Xuan Ci being weaker than the Du generation monks doesn't make much sense in the context of this list. Xiao Feng is said to be able to draw with 3 Xuan generation monks. ZWJ was able to draw with the 3 Du generation monks. In order for Xiao Feng to be at the same level of higher than ZWJ, the Xuan generation monks should be in the Du generation's level or better, since they didn't have a formation like the demon-subduing formation to increase their individual abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Aventinus View Post
    But every time Gongsun Zhi face Jade Maiden, either YG and XLN were both heavily posioned.

That made a huge difference.
    I personally am very interested in the gap in ability between Greats and Elite non-Greats. The gap seems to be very very small to me. For example, Gongsun Chi was able to hold off Jade Maiden for many stances before being defeated. Golden Wheel Monk was defeated by Jade Maiden. Golden Wheel Monk was also said to have been unable to end a fight with Guo Jing within a thousand stances. So I guess that puts Gongsun Chi not far from GWM, who is very close to GJ, who is a Great. GWM also could not defeat the likes of LMC or the Mongolian mercenaries within a couple hundred stances, placing him not very far ahead of them. In addition, YG stated that LMC was similar in ability to QCJ. All of this makes the gap between Greats and elite non-Greats such as LMC, QCJ, and HR very small.
    What about my other comparisons? What about the fights between GWM and LMC or NMX? Both lasted many many stances.

There is something I don't understand. Why are these 3 guys:

Wu Ya Zi
    Tian Shan Tong Lao
    Li Qiu Shui

Ranked so high yet, XZ is ranked below them when theoretically he should be as powerful as all 3 of them combined since he has all of their internal energy?

1) Ren Ying Ying on par with Qu Yang and above DingYi/DingXian? Maybe XAJH experts like Ren Woxing, HHaung, Pokit can comment on this?

I need more people opinions on how strong Ren Ying Ying is...

2) For example, Gongsun Chi was able to hold off Jade Maiden for many stances before being defeated. Golden Wheel Monk was defeated by Jade Maiden.

Do note that the GWM here is post 16 years, which means 16 years after Gongsun Chi died. The Mongolian elites were all pre 16 years as well. Remember that the list is based on "the character most powerful point in the story". GWM "doubled his internal strength" in 16 years time...

3) Zhou Zhi Ruo at level 40 with her Jiu Yin skills? She is still below Mie Jue despite that? and also below Mei Chaofeng (blinded)?

This is quite debatable. It's really hard to judge Zhou Zhi Ruo "combat ability". I used to rank her much higher, but got "bombarded" with posts saying she can't even match Wudang 7 Heroes. (see the earlier posts in this thread) Anyone can comment how she match up against Mie Jue?

4) Xuan Ci being weaker than the Du generation monks...

Anyone care to more accurately pinpoint where Xuan Ci stands?

5) The Condor

Thanks for the wealth of info! Moved him up to LV65 (on par with Xiao Long Nu). Is it a bit too high? (It's above Huang Rong & LMC)
    Last edited by WuxiaMaster; 07-02-08 at 06:44 AM.

What no ranking of Huang Shang?

And there's no proof that DGQB was any higher than Level 80.

Internal? No mention of his internal being any better than Yang Guo's.
    Use anything as a sword? Dong Fang Bu Bai was able to fight with a needle.
    Sword without a sword? Duan Yu had 6MSJ.
    Last edited by Dennis Chen; 07-03-08 at 01:24 PM.

Sorry I misread DGQB as DFBB. -_-

As for Huang Shang... where do you think he should be placed?
    Last edited by WuxiaMaster; 07-04-08 at 08:44 AM.