View Poll Results: Most tragic JY couple?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • YangKang & Mu NianCi (LOCH)

24 16.22%
  • XiaoFeng & Ah Zhu (DGSD)

87 58.78%
  • YangGuo & XiaoLongNu (ROCH)

14 9.46%
  • Zhang CuiShan & Yin SuSu (HSDS)

26 17.57%
  • YangXiao & Ji XiaoFu (HSDS)

6 4.05%
  • Lin PingZhi & Yue LingShan (SOD)

12 8.11%
  • DingDian & Ling XiangHua (Link City)

17 11.49%
  • Xia XueYi & WenYi (Crimson Sabre)

9 6.08%
  • Chen JiaLuo & Princess Fragrance (B&S)

3 2.03%
  • Hu YiDao & his wife (Flying Fox)

7 4.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Most tragic JY couple

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    damnit just finished dled linked cities, and there will be tragedy to main characters ?!! better not, hate that
    Linked Cities is considered the darkest story Jin Yong has written.

The main character certainly has a very tragic life, but Ding Dian and Ling Xuang Hua are not the main characters.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

err alright then... better not receive bouts of depression from it :/!

Yes Qi Fang sucks. She's like a even more extreme form of Yue Lingshan except she got off much too easy. Di Yun should've just turn his back on her the moment everything is revealed to her, and leave her to dust.

But I say YG/XLN couple prior the 16 yrs is the most tragic, but overall it's Ding Dian and Ling XuangHua
    Underneath the fluffly, cudly exterior lies the tormented and complex creature known as the panda.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Linked Cities is considered the darkest story Jin Yong has written.

The main character certainly has a very tragic life, but Ding Dian and Ling Xuang Hua are not the main characters.
    I think Ding Dian and Ling Xuang Hua are probably the most tragic characters... and if JY wanted to do another love story like ROCH, i think theirs is definitely deserving of it... a tragic love story. Although XF and A Zhu's is probably more well known, i still think Ding Dian and Ling Xuang Hua are the most tragic couple

Quote Originally Posted by SkineePanda
    Yes Qi Fang sucks. She's like a even more extreme form of Yue Lingshan except she got off much too easy. Di Yun should've just turn his back on her the moment everything is revealed to her, and leave her to dust.
    I actually dislike Qi Fang even more than Yue Ling Shan. At least Yue Ling Shan was kind of brave and stuck to Lin Ping Zhi till the very end. Qi Fang just didn't know what to do... and she married someone else!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    Qi Fang just didn't know what to do... and she married someone else!!!
    Qi Fang was a naive village girl who had never been exposed to cunning people. Before she married Wan Gui, her father had disappeared and Di Yun was dead (as she was told). She had no one to depend on. She didn't know Wan Gui, Wan Zhenshan et al where schemers. They were nice to her and when Wan Gui wanted to marry her, she agreed. What else was a girl supposed to do in those days anyway?

Yue Lingshan was different. She was the daughter of a renowned pugilist who headed a martial arts school. She travelled around the jianghu. She had better awareness and knowledge than Qi Fang about the world around her, but that's not really why she stuck by Lin Pingzhi. Instead, Yue Lingshan did it because (1) she loved him, (2) she chose him as her husband.

Qi Fang couldn't stick to Di Yun because as far as she knew it, he was dead. She wasn't married to Di Yun in the first place, so after his death, she wasn't a widow. She was still single and could actually be married off without much ado in those days. When she found out Di Yun was still alive, she did do her best to stop Wan Gui, Wan Zhenshan etc from succeeding in their scheme.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Well, it's not really her fault that she got tricked by everyone around her... in fact, i feel pretty sorry for her. But if you put most other main female characters from JY's books into the same situation, they wouldn't have married another guy.

I voted for Ding Dian and Ling Xuang Hua.

Not to bad or tragic for them actually. At least they get to be buried together as it's what they wished for in the end.
    ..ext88

My analysis for my vote is very subjective and is mostly based on my personal feelings toward the characters, so if I offend any fans, it is not intentional.

Yang Kang and Mu Nian Ci – Although their story is bittersweet, it is caused by YK’s ambition and evil doings. I love YK in LOCH as the villain… hehehe, major influence by MKW’s outstanding performance. I just could not hate him. It is sad for MNC, but YK could have prevented the ending he received if he was willing to change. MNC was always ready to forgive him if he renounced his position as a Jin prince. So reluctant points off for this couple.

Yang Guo and Xiao Long Nu – my favorite hero in all of YJ’s novels! He is a very flawed character, but I love the guy. He oozes charisma and confidence, has extraordinary martial arts, is ultra romantic toward XLN, and accomplished numerous valiant deeds. Despite having an eccentric, volatile, and unpredictable personality, this reluctant hero has charmed his way into my heart. It’s all about the “cool” image for me . Even though he and XLN had many tribulations and got separated for 16 years, they eventually reunited and able to spend the rest of their lives together. So their ending is not tragic at all. I would call this an almost perfect ending… gorgeous wife with heroic husband and both being top tiered fighters too. They roam the world in a carefree lifestyle, what more can one asks for?

Zhan Cui Shan and Yin Su Su – YSS is partially at fault for ZCS’s 3rd martial brother being crippled. And also major points deducted for the couple’s double suicide, leaving their young son an orphan. The ordeals ZWJ went through could have been avoided or at least he would have experienced a less painful childhood.

Yang Xiao and Ji Xiao Fu – I have never gotten over the fact that he drugged and raped her. Regardless of the fact that she “loved” him afterward. Feel free to let me know if JY revised this detail in one of his later editions. To me, it was more along the line of a forced relationship. I feel bad for her death, but I don’t like Yang Xiao.

Lin Ping Zhi and Yue Ling Shan – Ok, hats off to this guy for willing to castrate himself in an attempt to improve his martial arts. Now that takes guts. I wouldn’t be able to do it if I was a man. IMO, one of the most horrible things that can happen to a man. I am not particularly fond of YLS though. Her lack of faith in LHC appalled me. They grew up together, so I expect her to understand him better. He would never commit the crimes charged against him. So, I pity her relationship with her husband, but their sad ending was mainly his fault for wanting to seek revenge at all cost.

Xia Xue Yi & Wen Yi – I am a fan of this couple, but they fall short of being the most tragic. At least they spent some quality time together and even had a daughter. I think XXY is ultra cool as the Golden Snake Swordsman, but he did one thing I do not approve of. In order to get the sword and manual, he used and dumped He Hong Yao (spelling?). I think she is an obsessed and crazy woman. Still, it is wrong to use her to get what he wanted and then leave her to face the punishments all by herself.

Chen Jia Luo and Princess Frangrance – For CJL, I would describe him as a moron. No, let me rephrase that… shallow moron. Can’t stand this guy. Throughout the entire story, he accomplished nothing. His indecisiveness annoyed the heck out of me. He initially likes Fok Ching Tong (spelling?), but he falls immediately in love with the drop dead gorgeous Princess Fragrance at first sight. Later on, even sacrificing the princess to the king. Major jerk!
    Princess Fragrance – boring vase figure. Aside from her beauty, her personality is completely bland. Hence, as a couple, I feel nothing for them.

Hu Yi Dao and his wife – Very lovable couple. They're my favorite in the story. Too bad the wife has to go and commit suicide right after he died. I understand that it is heart wrenching to lose your beloved husband, but she should at least give a care for her newborn son. Plus, she even promised HYD that no matter what happened, she would take good care of their son. But what did she do? Broke her promise and killed herself. Gosh, so irresponsible. Even if she trusts Miao Ren Feng, how could a mother abandon her son like that?

Ding Dian and Ling Xiang Hua – I consider them the 2nd most tragic couple. Their story is so touching. However, Ding Dian while being locked up, had the ability to escape and run away with Xiang Hua. Why the heck did he allowed himself to be imprisoned for so many years. He could have saved them both from death.

In conclusion, my vote goes to Xiao Feng and Ah Zhu. They are my favorite couple in the story and Ah Zhu is one of my top 3 favorite characters in all of JY’s novels. They make the perfect pair. He’s the powerful, rugged hero and she’s the talented, supportive, and ever so sweet girlfriend. I agree that she really died for XF and not her father. Every time I watch the adaptations or read the novel, her death scene always make me very sad. I cried when I first watched tvb’s 81 version (simply loved Cecilia Wong in the role). Their separation is mainly due to a very big misunderstanding. For XF to kill the love of his life with his own hands, continue living, and have to take care of the annoying Ah Zhi… indeed tragic.
    Last edited by tweety365; 05-10-06 at 06:51 PM.

TommyH
    Unregistered

How about XF and Ah Zhu? He killed her accidentally...

Senior Member Demonic Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    How about XF and Ah Zhu? He killed her accidentally...
    yep..thats what makes them tragic. I think that although there are other tragic couples out there, because XF was the one who actually killed Ah Zhu, they can be seen as the most tragic. Also, the awesomeness of XF and the personality of Ah Zhu make them a perfect couple, thus everyone is sad when Ah Zhu dies
    "The most happy marriage I can picture or imagine would be union of a deaf man to a blind woman."

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365
    Ding Dian and Ling Xiang Hua – I consider them the 2nd most tragic couple. Their story is so touching. However, Ding Dian while being locked up, had the ability to escape and run away with Xiang Hua. Why the heck did he allowed himself to be imprisoned for so many years. He could have saved them both from death.
    You are mistaken. Ding Dian did not have the ability to escape until it's too late. At the time of his capture, he has not finished learning Shen Zhao Jing. His pipa bone was then locked. After one's pipa bone is locked, one cannot use one's internal energy. But when he was finally able to master SZJ up to the level where he can break the chains locking his pipa bone and break out of jail, Lin Xuang Hua already disfigured herself and made the promise that if she ever go together with Ding Dian her dead mother will suffer in hell. Being a filial daughter, she refused to leave. Ding Dian, not willing to leave her, went back voluntarily to jail.

Some people also said Ding Dian is stupid not to just tell Ling Tui Shi the secret and live happily ever after with LTS. If LTS has been nice to him and not use deceit to trap him, he would have told the secret to LTS willingly. But he promised the original owner of LCJ that would not to let Lian Cheng Jue fall to the hands of evil people. So, he cannot tell LCJ's secret to LTS. He also knew that LTS will not let him live after he tell LTS the secret.
    Last edited by kidd; 05-11-06 at 12:20 AM.

In conclusion, my vote goes to Xiao Feng and Ah Zhu. They are my favorite couple in the story and Ah Zhu is one of my top 3 favorite characters in all of JY’s novels. They make the perfect pair. He’s the powerful, rugged hero and she’s the talented, supportive, and ever so sweet girlfriend. I agree that she really died for XF and not her father. Every time I watch the adaptations or read the novel, her death scene always make me very sad. I cried when I first watched tvb’s 81 version (simply loved Cecilia Wong in the role). Their separation is mainly due to a very big misunderstanding. For XF to kill the love of his life with his own hands, continue living, and have to take care of the annoying Ah Zhi… indeed tragic.
    The tragedy is caused by Ah Zhu's bad judgement.

Thanks for clearing up the info for me, kidd. Much appreciate it. Well, looks like I've got to give this couple several more points. 1 question though... why would Ling Xiang Hua make such a promise. I understand the disfigurement part so she doesn't have to marry, but why make things tougher for her and DD? Just leave with him already!

Sorry for the questioning, I'm not too familiar with the storyline. Thanks in advance for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    The tragedy is caused by Ah Zhu's bad judgement.
    I agree. Both her fault and XF's fault. All the other couples's tragedy were due to their own doings as well, but I feel that XF and Ah Zhu's story is more tragic . I really like this couple. Yes, I am bias, but this is a poll on my opinion.

Thanks for clearing up the info for me, kidd. Much appreciate it. Well, looks like I've got to give this couple several more points. 1 question though... why would Ling Xiang Hua make such a promise. I understand the disfigurement part so she doesn't have to marry, but why make things tougher for her and DD? Just leave with him already!

Sorry for the questioning, I'm not too familiar with the storyline. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Her father forced her to make that promise. Sorry, forgot what he used to threaten her. Most probably DD's life.

I agree. Both her fault and XF's fault. All the other couples's tragedy were due to their own doings as well, but I feel that XF and Ah Zhu's story is more tragic . I really like this couple. Yes, I am bias, but this is a poll on my opinion.
    Well, lots of people has the same opinion has you, it seems.

Their relationship is undeniably tragic. But I'm just annoyed with Ah Zhu's decision. So, I didn't vote for them. This tragedy could have been avoided. XF did as 'DZS' one last time whether he killed his parents. Ah Zhu, as misguided as XF, admitted 'he' did. If Ah Zhu did not pretend to be her father, XF would have asked the real DZS the question, and they would not have ended so tragically.
    Last edited by kidd; 05-10-06 at 10:02 PM.

Zhan Cui Shan and Yin Su Su – YSS is partially at fault for ZCS’s 3rd martial brother being crippled. And also major points deducted for the couple’s double suicide, leaving their young son an orphan. The ordeals ZWJ went through could have been avoided or at least he would have experienced a less painful childhood.
    i believe because YSS was partially responsible for the 3rd Martial brothers crippling which was one of the reason her husband committed suicide so it was expected of her to die with him.

if YSS was alive then ZWJ would not be able to live with the WuDang clan, i doubt YSS would have the guts to stay there after her husband's death.

i voted for them because i felt that their tragedy was caused by one wrong decision when she was young. i don't blame her for it, because she was raised to think that way, to act that way, at least she was 'nice' enough during her evil days to let him live.

just one wrong decision cause the death of two people. its just feels so unfair.

Undeniably true that XF could have uncovered the truth without AZ dying, but alas, JY had to pen it down that way.

Thanks for the info on DD, kidd. I guess it's more of a tie b/t DD-LXH and XF-AZ then. Though, I'm still leaning toward XF-AZ since I love them together . If AZ was not so adorable and XF was not so heroic, then I think I will favor DD-LXH as the most tragic couple. My sentiments are ruling my judgment again . So yup, narrowed it down to a close competition...

lin ping zhi and yue ling shan

I vote for XF and Ah Zhu. Can you imagine you killed someone you love dearly? Who can save Ah Zhu in DGSG? Yi-Deng?