Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wang Yuyan - third compared to Princess Fragrance & Xiao Longnu in terms of beauty?

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    I feel XLN's description in the book is more beautiful than WYY's.

Well, if you are looking at the adaptations, then of course XLN=WYY because the 2 latest ROCH and DGSD both had the same actress!
    lmao Idy was WYY and XLN, Carman was WYY and XLN and now whoopdy doo LYF is WYY and XLN...

ggz moronic producers

Quote Originally Posted by Pacifian
    That sounds like the young generation looks better than the older ones.
    Better makeup, health diets N-junk.
    different tastes in bueaties aswell...
    Last edited by strife_au; 08-28-06 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    lmao Idy was WYY and XLN, Carman was WYY and XLN and now whoopdy doo LYF is WYY and XLN...

ggz moronic producers

Better makeup, health diets N-junk.
    different tastes in bueaties aswell...
    Wait untill Singapore do tianlongbabu, they will 100% get Fann wong to do WYY also. lol.
    A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a ****ing cross? It's like going up to Jackie Onassis wearing a rifle pendant.

Evolution - natural selection at work? HA HA HA.
    A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a ****ing cross? It's like going up to Jackie Onassis wearing a rifle pendant.

That's a matter of perspective. I think the so-called "beautiful people" today are all too skinny and pale.

Wink Idy

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    I suppose beauty standards back then and now are different. We can't say women back then are ugly compared to today. Idy was considered very beautiful back then as XLN.
    Helll no man,
    No such thing as standard man, Idy chan is THE BEST. NO QUESTION ASKED. NO ANSWER DELIVERED!.

my pre-ciiiii-ous Idy................precious.................

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner
    Wait untill Singapore do tianlongbabu, they will 100% get Fann wong to do WYY also. lol.
    I think she might be a bit too old to play 18 yr old WYY by then.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Ok, not ugly. I meant.... not as pretty. I can't find the right word for this...

Correct me if im wrong and its been a while since ive watched the that 85 version....but in the scene where her and YG were practing the advanced portions of the YNSSGF(pure heart jade maiden)...did u catch a glimpse of some pit hair??(yeah im talkin about XLN here not YG) maybe KC can clarify since he seems to have watched this version a couple of times.

As for the XLN in the new adpations she does look the part more or less, althought the acting in the new adpation was terrible. After watching the first couple of episodes I almost started to hate YG.
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

Yeah, the adaptation people seem to think XLN = WYY. But based on adaptations alone, I think Alyssa Chia's Zhao Min is prettiest.

I think XLN would definitely be a lot above WYY though, in the actual Jinyong universe...since MRF didn't give a crap about her. WYY was definitely beautiful, but I think her beauty has been elevated through adaptations.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    Yeah, the adaptation people seem to think XLN = WYY. But based on adaptations alone, I think Alyssa Chia's Zhao Min is prettiest.

I think XLN would definitely be a lot above WYY though, in the actual Jinyong universe...since MRF didn't give a crap about her. WYY was definitely beautiful, but I think her beauty has been elevated through adaptations.
    Well, we can't rely on MRF's feelings since he would exchange XLN for the right to be king of your elementary school.

I think WYY and XLN are both beautiful, but it's their personalities that make one appear more beautiful than the other. XLN had a cold exterior, her background made her appear more special and her martial arts made her look even more beautiful as it made her look like she was dancing. WYY's background isn't as interesting as XLN's, her personality is just 'nice and cute'. Even IF they looked exactly the same as depicted in the adaptations, you would still think XLN is prettier than WYY because of those differences.

In the latest DGSD China adaptation, WYY's mom looks better than WYY. For ROCH, XLN's fellow martial sister looks even much better than XLN. Am I right? Not sure about the latest Princess Fragrance.

I think we're moving too much into individual actress looks rather than the beauty of the character written in the books. Princess Fragrance, as was mentioned, was definitely the best-known for her beauty. Candice Yu's portrayal of that scene where she causes complete chaos in the Manchu camp when she goes to deliver the letter was just perfect, and while I am partial to Candice, if that's how the book was written then she really is without comparison.

While the novels do mention so-and-so being pretty, going by the number of men who go irrationally ga-ga over them, Xiao Longnu is the only other who has multiple people fawning over her, so she'd probably rank second. Ah Ke was supposed to have inherited Chen Yuanyuan's looks, and according to legend her looks were enough to make Li Zicheng stumble and Wu Zangui revolt, and so Ah Ke would probably come third in my list. Chen Yuanyuan in her prime would probably have beaten Xiaolong Nu.

Other ladies who had multiple suitors include Li Mochou, who had Lu Zhenyuan, and later on Gongsun Ci (although that man probably lusted after anything female who wasn't played by Helena Law Lan). I also recall the novel making explicit references to her beauty more than once, so she could be in contention. Zhou Zhiruo had Song Qingshu infatuated with her, although no one else seemed to note her looks. In the same way Wang Yuyan has Duan Yu, but I don't think anyone else in the novel was even remotely interested in her looks.

Now men who had multiple girls going gaga over them... that's a long list, but then men (at least in novels) are rarely sought commodities because of physical beauty. Yang Guo, Wu Yazi, Zhang Wuji, Linghu Chong, Wei Xiaobao and pretty much every male protagonist (and then some) had their harems, and in all cases but one only plot closure demanded that one girl wins over the rest.

On a side note, casting coincidences aren't just limited to Xiaolongnu and Wang Yuyan. Both Kenneth Tsang and Lok Ying Kwan would play Huang Yaoshi AND Xiexun over their careers, while Cheung Lui and Ba Yin would play the same character no less than THREE times - Jiebie, Jinlun Fawang and Jiu Mozhi.
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 07-15-15 at 03:28 AM.

Good pts, Ian. Guys also have lots of admirers.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    80's WYY and XLN - Idy Chan
    90's WYY and XLN - Carmen Lee
    00's WYY and XLN - Liu Yi Fei.
    Just wondering whether any HK/China actress have acted as WYY, XLN and Princess Fragrance to-date.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Just wondering whether any HK/China actress have acted as WYY, XLN and Princess Fragrance to-date.
    Not that I know of. Fragrance's beauty is quite different to WYY and XLN. It's more exotic and probably looked more Turkish like, unlike WYY and XLN which has a Han look.