Thread: Qiong Yao Actresses--who is the most successful now?

Default Qiong Yao Actresses--who is the most successful now?

Most Qiong Yao actresses break free from her after gaining fame. Who do you think has made it the biggest ever since their debut in a Qiong Yao series?

Potential Candidates off the top of my head include Fan Bing Bing, Ruby Lin, Vicki Zhao, Xiao Qiang, Shui Ling, Huang Rong (sort of), Liu Tao, Qin Lan, etc.

Judging by international appeal and potential, I would say Fan Bing Bing--she's definitely made it far ever since HZGG's Jin Suo. I don't really like her acting all that much, but I am definitely impressed by her talent to climb her way up the ladder, either that or a great managing company.

What are your opinions?

Heh, I'd say the first generation of most successful would be Liu Xue Hua, she had and has decades of successful acting career with QY adaptations and outside QY-dramas.

Didn't Vicki Zhao win some kind of Asian award or was in some kind of asian list in some magazine? Memory is kind of vague.

i'd say Vicki and FBB are getting more popular. Shui Ling has been popular before the HZGG actresses. Popularity doesn't always guarentee great acting in some cases.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    Heh, I'd say the first generation of most successful would be Liu Xue Hua, she had and has decades of successful acting career with QY adaptations and outside QY-dramas.

Didn't Vicki Zhao win some kind of Asian award or was in some kind of asian list in some magazine? Memory is kind of vague.

i'd say Vicki and FBB are getting more popular. Shui Ling has been popular before the HZGG actresses. Popularity doesn't always guarentee great acting in some cases.
    Nods in agreement with Suet Seung. Liu Xue Hua is a classic actress. Great actress. Not beautiful, not cute, not that pretty, but one heck of an actress. Her biggest asset is her ability to cry for real in a series. She gets into her role.

Well, i think the successful ones are shui ling, liu xue hua, vicki zhao, and fbb

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung

yea seriously! liu xue hua was like the face of qiong yao. when u say qiong yao, you think liu xue hua. but too bad she never had any "international" prospects.

i am not too sure.. but the only two who come my mind is Liu Xie Hua and Ruby Lin
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Well, "success" is broadly defined, but I would say Zhao Wei, not just because I'm her fan. For starters, HZGG was Qiong Yao's highest rated series - not only that, it was the highest rated tv series in history, and it propelled Vicki and Ruby to fame really fast. I think Ruby's one of the contenders too, but Vicki's role was technically the lead (according to the credits, but Ruby's role was kind of more vital to the plot). And Xiao Yan Zi just stuck with people. Money and popularity wise though, Zhao Wei's always in the rankings and aside from the fact she hasn't gotten as much international fame as Zhang Ziyi, she's close to the same level as ZZY in terms of earnings, etc. And she won "Most Popular Actress in Mainland"...and mainland's a big place.

I agree with yearning about Fan Bingbing though. Right now, she's often considered top 10 in China, which is a huge improvement from just playing Jin Suo (who annoyed me, but I have to admit her performance as Jin Suo was pretty good).

Shui Ling's famous and Qiong Yao seems to have a lot of respect for her (like writing a role just for her in HZGG 3), but from what I know and have seen, she seems to have a lot of secondary roles. Like Mu Nianci in LOCH, Gu Manlu in Ban Sheng Yuan...

Meanwhile, I think Liu Tao's doing well too. Her role in TLBB wasn't huge, but it helped her out a lot. And she was like 5th for most popular mainland actress or something. However, I think she still has ways to go before she reaches the Vicki/Ruby level, partially because she hasn't been in the industry as long.

I haven't watched much earlier Qiong Yao, so I don't know much about Liu Xue Hua...would she happen to have been in Yan Yu Meng Meng? (For some reason that just came up.)
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    I haven't watched much earlier Qiong Yao, so I don't know much about Liu Xue Hua...would she happen to have been in Yan Yu Meng Meng? (For some reason that just came up.)
    for me, liu xue hua's most memorable role was from xue ke (the one where her daughter became some kinda servant), but maybe it's cuz it's the first qiong yao thing i've seen. i really don't remember too much of it's plot, just remember it was her face and steven ma (who i think is the male counterpart to liu xue hua in qiong yao series!)

gosh...ppl make me feel old these days!

before i saw some of QYs movies in which actress liu starred but never rememberred QY or got the feeling of finding who she was. up until HZGG the beautiful and cute zhao wei grab my attention, then i remember QY. thus i could say, she helped zhao wei become famous and vice versa. also i must say Rubys acting is really annoying to me. never see her movie again. i dont like fan bing bing either.im not chinese though

If you are talking about Romance in the Rain, then yeah, Liu Xue Hua was in the original one produced by CTV. Vicki and Ruby acted in the remake of this QY novel.

LXH version was more accurate to the novel then the new version was. For one thing, Ruby's character is supposed to die.

I've read the original novel of Yan Yu Meng Meng. From the 2001 series QSSYMM, I liked Yiping almost all of the time and I thought Ruping was manipulative and annoying, but then in the novel Yiping is wretched, and I really did pity Ruping.

Yeah, I haven't seen much old school Qiong Yao...the Liu Xue Hua generation. I did catch some of the Vivian Chen De Rong generation...I was still on my crib when it came out, but I've seen the VCDs. Then comes the Vicki-Ruby-Fan Bingbing generation, which for now is the most successful. I think HZGG and its stars garnered the most fame since HZGG was such a unique Qiong Yao work and it really appealed to the vast majority.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

I've only seen Liu Xue Hua in one series, and she was alright in it--I don't think she was the lead though. It was this series w/ Carina Lau, Lawrence Ng, and Steven Ma.

I think Shui Ling's fame is fading--she was getting a lot of lead roles in the past when she was younger, but now like someone else said, she keeps on getting supporting roles. A shame, since I think she beats both Vicki, Ruby, and FBB in acting...well I guess I can't really judge FBB since I haven't seen anything she's been in since HZGG.

For popularity, Vicki might be topping the charts in Mainland, but I doubt her acting is up to par for "top actress" yet, given that there's so many senior actresses like Gong Li, Song Dan Dan, etc. who obviously have more experience.

I find that the ones who do movies seem to get more money and recognition in comparison to those who just do series. For one thing, they get to go to international film festivals and there's a wider audience who watch foreign movies than those who watch foreign series.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    I find that the ones who do movies seem to get more money and recognition in comparison to those who just do series. For one thing, they get to go to international film festivals and there's a wider audience who watch foreign movies than those who watch foreign series.
    That's definitely true in the case of Zhang Ziyi. She doesn't do series, just films. I think most of Qiong Yao's actresses either have a balance between them or lean towards series, since Qiong Yao's works are all made into TV series.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    For popularity, Vicki might be topping the charts in Mainland, but I doubt her acting is up to par for "top actress" yet, given that there's so many senior actresses like Gong Li, Song Dan Dan, etc. who obviously have more experience.
    Yes, I definitely agree...actually, I think her acting is > many other Chinese actresses, but she hasn't achieved the prestige that Gong Li and senior actresses have. Anyway, it was out of Qiong Yao's actresses, and Gong Li etc. are not Qiong Yao actresses. But I agree with your point.

I think most of Qiong Yao's actresses either have a balance between them or lean towards series, since Qiong Yao's works are all made into TV series.
    Oh, and Brigitte Lin has to be up there!!! Though she got popular in other movies, she did act for Qiong Yao movie (at least once).

Not quite. Old school (late 70s - early 80s), some of her novels were made into movies. Brigitte Lin was in one called "Song Ngoai" in Vietnamese. Not sure what the title is in English.

Qiong Yao started out in movies (way back when) and then series. That's why a lot of times people feel a Qiong Yao series is too long and draggy. Well, that is it, because her novels started out, it was meant to be long enough just for movies. Unlike wuxia novels, where it should be series cause of how long the novels are.

Of course nowadays, Qiong Yao mostly directs series only.

Really? That's true, since her earlier books were all one book, and HZGG was like 3 books...and wuxia novels are all 5+ books. Anyway, that's interesting...haven't seen much old school Qiong Yao, since I was only old enough to understand Chinese well enough to catch the HZGG generation. Nowadays, Qiong Yao does direct series, and basically only directs HZGG...that's been almost the last decade. HZGG and QSSYMM.

last decade. that is scary. it's been so long.

is there any more Qiong Yao productions on now, do you know?

Well, Yan Yu Meng Meng (which QSSYMM was based on) is only one book and they made it into a series longer than the 3-book HZGG. which I thought made it drag and get annoying. same with HZGG3. again it's 3 books, and just...long onscreen.

Actually Qiong Yao movies aren't that bad...if you can get past the nauseating dialogues and typical love-triangle plots--some of the music is nice and the cast is usually good-looking, not too bad for a chick flick.

However, her series are completely another story--absolute dragginess and utter nonsesnse, with the exception of HZGG that is (true, it was not very realistic, but at least it was lighthearted humor and not so much melodrama).

She's currently filming the remake of "Yi Lian You Meng" (dream behind the curtains) *gags*.