Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Iryu - [Team Medical Dragon]

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    I am waiting for it to be available at Poh Kim, seems that its taking an unusually longer time for this drama, more so than Kurosagi.
    Is Kurosagi already out at Poh Kim? You'll have to remember that Iryu isn't as popular as Kurosagi i.e. would anyone have heard of Kenji Sakaguchi vs Yamapi, so that would mean a longer wait. Do they bring in all the dramas for each season? If they have Oishii Puropozu out on the shelves instead of Iryu that would be the biggest mistake.

Nefertari do you have any favourite character? Was there anything that struck you as very memorable?

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    Is Kurosagi already out at Poh Kim? You'll have to remember that Iryu isn't as popular as Kurosagi i.e. would anyone have heard of Kenji Sakaguchi vs Yamapi, so that would mean a longer wait. Do they bring in all the dramas for each season? If they have Oishii Puropozu out on the shelves instead of Iryu that would be the biggest mistake.

Nefertari do you have any favourite character? Was there anything that struck you as very memorable?
    Kurosagi was out about a month to 3 weeks ago. Prior to that was attention Please. but if Iryu did well in Japan, Poh Kim should be bringing it in since I think they tend to bring in the more popular shows each season. Moroever, though Yamapi is more well-known, that's not as obvious in Singapore. I think the popularity of the show in Japan is how Poh Kim decides what to bring in. At least that's what I think.
    Moreover I think Poh Kim is improving a lot, they are getting more current with the Japanese serials they bring in and you get them quite soon too.
    Last edited by strawberry; 09-10-06 at 02:22 PM.

Hey thanks for all the info.

And yes, I have a favourite character. At first, I love all the characters and of course was very taken with Asada Ryutaro, but upon rewatching the show again and again, my favourite would have to be Dr Kato (Itzumi Inamori). Her character was cold on the outside, but so passionate and intense on the inside. I love the episode where they told her story - how she wanted to be a professor to change the system, a bit like Ryutaro in a way, but she took it a step further by taking realistic action, even when it means sacrificing her own soul.

For a moment, I thought she would go with Asada, but in the end it's still nice to see she's with the 'villian' Kunji.

I like Teppei, anaesthesia guy, the nurse Miki and the guy with the long hair too.

The ER woman doctor and the doctor with the cute daughter are also among my favourites.

And yes, this is the thread for Iryu, so post your thoughts here!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Nefertari. That's an interesting observation. How many times have you rewatched Iryu? From initial episodes I've seen, I think what makes Iryu more interesting than Shiroi Kyoto, is the way the story has been written. Shiroi Kyoto felt rather dry even though the story was well developed, dealt with similar issues and had a fantastic cast.

Cast of Iryu:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Cast-of-Iryu.jpg')

Thanks for the pics and names of the cast, jade_frosts.

As you know, I always have problems remembering Japanese names.

I like this jdorama, is in my must watch list now together with 1LOT, Tokyo Cinderella Story and few others I can’t remember.

SPOLIER ALERTT!!!!!!!

I was not too keen to watch it in the beginning. The first scene on ep 1 kinda knock me off (love making in the hut by the beach) and I also see the first chapter of manga and seems too vulgar for me. I keep going since I heard good review and I think Kenji Sakaguchi look really suits Ryo Asaka. Took me days to go thru first 3 ep, but after that, I need no encouragement! I finish 6.5 ep in one night and the 1.5 ep the night after that (my fault start watching in Sunday night, so I have to go to sleep to work the following day )

What really turn me on was the story. I know some part seems too dramatic and unbelievable, but I can’t help feeling excited. The story is soo kewl. Like when Asaka operate Keisuke in the middle of the street, when the bartender girl saved by Asaka. I know its all too dramatic, and unbelievable but it gives me great feeling of anticipation.

The best operation was the last one (of course) and 2nd with operation for the bartender girl. It was awesome!

For some reason I know Ijuuin won’t turn side that easily, but I don’t expect Kirishima still holding the last piece of information that could jeopardize the operation on Takashi.

Anyway, I rate this 4.5 out of 5.

My fave character is Ijuuin, not because he's cute, but because I can see the changes he made from ep 1 thru 11. He's going strong and gained confidence. He's also a very talented doctor, if the story continue, I wonder if he can become like Asaka. He wasn't polluted by the hospital politic in the beginning, but he quite cunning when he deceives Kirishima.. he,he,he.. but still have conscience.

edit: just find out that Teppei-kun (Ijuuin character real name) was nominated for the Best Supporting Actor in the 49th Drama Academy Award, for his performance in Iryu. good job!

For some reason, Asaka remind me of Kira from Gundam Seed/ Gundam Seed Destiny, the invincibleness, but thru hard working and talents.
    Last edited by eeyore; 09-12-06 at 12:30 AM.
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

I am beginning to think that Poh Kim does not intend to bring this show in. I hate to say this but Jade could be right, they might not bring in this because the stars are not as famous but then, there's at least young Teppei whom at least I though Poh Kim would in on account of but it does not seem that way at the moment.

I am beginning to think that Poh Kim does not intend to bring this show in. I hate to say this but Jade could be right, they might not bring in this because the stars are not as famous but then, there's at least young Teppei whom at least I though Poh Kim would in on account of but it does not seem that way at the moment.
    Call them and ask? I never rely on Poh Kim. Yahoo SG auctions is my preferred drama source. If you're really keen on Iryu, you might like to check it out there.

I've only watched till ep3. Haven't had time to continue. Some of the surgical scenes really require a suspension of belief but I find myself liking it better than Emergency Room 24 Hrs III. The characters in that drama were just too perfect to be true or too stereotypical to care much for them.

Anyway, on a side note, my pick for the best drama of this summer season 2006 has to be Kekkon Dekinai Otoko (The Man Who Cannot Get Married). The script and cast are just brilliant. So too the pug. Please watch it if you can!

Call them and ask? I never rely on Poh Kim. Yahoo SG auctions is my preferred drama source. If you're really keen on Iryu, you might like to check it out there.

I've only watched till ep3. Haven't had time to continue. Some of the surgical scenes really require a suspension of belief but I find myself liking it better than Emergency Room 24 Hrs III. The characters in that drama were just too perfect to be true or too stereotypical to care much for them.

Anyway, on a side note, my pick for the best drama of this summer season 2006 has to be Kekkon Dekinai Otoko (The Man Who Cannot Get Married). The script and cast are just brilliant. So too the pug. Please watch it if you can!
    Know why I never call and ask? because I don't think they know their stuff.

Who stars in that drama you recommended? what's the storyline?

My conjecture is they might bring in the show, but perhaps would take a bit of time. After all, Iryu does have high ratings last season and it's a medical series. Now, medical series does carry some weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari
    My conjecture is they might bring in the show, but perhaps would take a bit of time. After all, Iryu does have high ratings last season and it's a medical series. Now, medical series does carry some weight.
    I now have a copy of this drama but it was by chance that someone got it for me from overseas. I have not started this drama but a ramdom glimpse at the beginning reminds me very much of The TVB serial 'The last Breakthrough'. I was pretty surprised.

Is 'The Last Breakthrough' a medical series too? I can't remember the titles of a lot of Hong Kong series lately, esp those in the 90s, though it was the series in the 90s I love the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari
    Is 'The Last Breakthrough' a medical series too? I can't remember the titles of a lot of Hong Kong series lately, esp those in the 90s, though it was the series in the 90s I love the most.
    I think The Last Breakthrough was shown more recently than that. It is a medical series with some similarities. I have a very vague memory of it and I don't think I watched more than 15 minutes of it because I absolutely cannot stand Sonja Kwok. I guess I can say that the acting delivered by the cast of Iryu is much better and the plot more tightly developed although that's a rather biased statement since I didn't give The Last Breakthrough much of a chance. http://www.spcnet.tv/reviews/review.php?rID=1186

started watching this last night, i finished up to episode 4. so far i like it...

getting irritated with ijuuin though...thankfully at the end of episode 4 he redeemed himself...

same with kihara, this guy creeps me out...what with the long hair and the stares, very "un-doctorly"

am i going to see dr. kato aki in action in the surgery room? she seems like she's doing a fashion show with those heels (on that note, i remember dr. house comment on one of his applicants when he was trying to look for a replacement for cameron....but i digress).
    U can choose 2 keep on doing wat u've been doing w/c means u'll keep on getting wat u've been getting or u can choose 2 accept that u do have wat it takes but u've been ff the wrong blueprint.-Ziglar

Quote Originally Posted by maysapaw
    started watching this last night, i finished up to episode 4. so far i like it...

getting irritated with ijuuin though...thankfully at the end of episode 4 he redeemed himself...

same with kihara, this guy creeps me out...what with the long hair and the stares, very "un-doctorly"

am i going to see dr. kato aki in action in the surgery room? she seems like she's doing a fashion show with those heels (on that note, i remember dr. house comment on one of his applicants when he was trying to look for a replacement for cameron....but i digress).
    I agree that Ijuuin is annoying, and I've just finished watching episode 4 too (in fact I can't understand why Koike Teppei has a large fan following). I'm not so sure whether he'll stop being irritating from this point onwards.

Do you think of a vampire when you see Dr Kihara? If I were a patient, I'd faint at the sight of him, weak heart or not. Heh.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/kihara.jpg')

It looks like the focus will shift toward Dr Kato in episode 5.

And here's the much raved about ending theme song, Aesthetic, for any of you who're interested: http://download.yousendit.com/CCD029D43E4F7062. Enjoy!

Scenes from Ep1:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/ep1.jpg')

I agree that Ijuuin is annoying, and I've just finished watching episode 4 too (in fact I can't understand why Koike Teppei has a large fan following). I'm not so sure whether he'll stop being irritating from this point onwards.

Do you think of a vampire when you see Dr Kihara? If I were a patient, I'd faint at the sight of him, weak heart or not. Heh.

It looks like the focus will shift toward Dr Kato in episode 5.
    he has a large following? probably because he's quite cute (role in TD excluding)...but he really looks pathetic to me... he's role is somewhat similar with another doctor in Nurse Aoi.

vampire! yes! hahahah...he looks sleazy...doctor or not, i'll stay away from him

kenji has only one expression hehehe...but he's such an eye candy so it's okay
    U can choose 2 keep on doing wat u've been doing w/c means u'll keep on getting wat u've been getting or u can choose 2 accept that u do have wat it takes but u've been ff the wrong blueprint.-Ziglar

Scenes from Ep2:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/ep2.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by maysapaw
    he has a large following? probably because he's quite cute (role in TD excluding)...but he really looks pathetic to me... he's role is somewhat similar with another doctor in Nurse Aoi.

vampire! yes! hahahah...he looks sleazy...doctor or not, i'll stay away from him

kenji has only one expression hehehe...but he's such an eye candy so it's okay
    The doctors at Meishin University hospital are quite a mixed bag aren't they? Dr Kihara seems to spend more time flicking and preening his long hair than operating; Dr Kitou, the head of ER, comes across as a rather astute yet cunning woman who seems to be able to read situations very well and know stakes and how to play the game in the university hospital environment; all the other doctors and staff in the hospital are like jesters in the court of Professor Noguchi. Cross or displease him and be banished.

What struck me in the six episodes that I've seen is the very evident need for self-preservation in the hospital staff. They won't interfere in another medical department's decisions, won't question a senior doctor's decision, and won't flout the rules even if it means patients will die like in Ep6 when Miki, the nurse, had to retrieve a vein during surgery as a last resort when they had a serious shortage of assistants in the operating theatre and all the other members of the surgery team threatened to revolt while the onlookers threatened them with an immediate sack. It looks like it is the patients that exist for the doctors and not the other way around.

I find it much better than those TVB medical dramas I've seen, especially Healing Hands III!!!

I finished watching the series 2 days ago, and yes I was very satisfied with the plot, how it was acted, the phasing, the ending, almost everything.

After episode 4, there was non-stop action, everything seems to fall on its place. The series is not directed mainly to Kenji (being the genius doctor) but all the members of Team Medical Dragon. The series was able to portray that in the operating room it is not only the doctor that works to save the patient but all the members of the operating team.

I'm assuming that because it is a university hospital that's why there are a lot of oldie doctors that just do administrative work (aside from the political bickering, of course). without the white coat you might mistake them for politicians. and quite laughable when they were walking towards the boardroom and running from the boardroom as well.

hehe, this one i find very funny too, especially in the last episode....you reap what you sow.

all the other doctors and staff in the hospital are like jesters in the court of Professor Noguchi. Cross or displease him and be banished.
    scary thought, isn't it, that although the nurses or other members of the medical team is aware that the doctor-in charge's decision may not be the best one, they would rather accept it instead of interfering and incurring the wrath of the doctor.

What struck me in the six episodes that I've seen is the very evident need for self-preservation in the hospital staff. They won't interfere in another medical department's decisions, won't question a senior doctor's decision, and won't flout the rules even if it means patients will die like in Ep6 when Miki, the nurse, had to retrieve a vein during surgery as a last resort when they had a serious shortage of assistants in the operating theatre and all the other members of the surgery team threatened to revolt while the onlookers threatened them with an immediate sack. It looks like it is the patients that exist for the doctors and not the other way around.
    other series that's quite like this?