Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Iryu - [Team Medical Dragon]

forgot to mention that when watching the series, i was trying to place Ijuuin...im trying to recall where i have seen him before...and then, Dr. Kihara said..."Harry Potter!" hehehehe
    U can choose 2 keep on doing wat u've been doing w/c means u'll keep on getting wat u've been getting or u can choose 2 accept that u do have wat it takes but u've been ff the wrong blueprint.-Ziglar

This show sounds so much like the white Tower..you sure they are not the same?

Scenes from Ep3:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/ep3.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    haven't seen that one so i can't compare...
    U can choose 2 keep on doing wat u've been doing w/c means u'll keep on getting wat u've been getting or u can choose 2 accept that u do have wat it takes but u've been ff the wrong blueprint.-Ziglar

Hey jade_frosts, thanks for the lovely pictures.

Yeah, Ijuniin does look a lot like Harry Potter esp with his glasses on.

White Tower is more realistic with the politics, but I find TMD much more interesting in its plot, more captivating and engaging too.

Quote Originally Posted by maysapaw
    I finished watching the series 2 days ago, and yes I was very satisfied with the plot, how it was acted, the phasing, the ending, almost everything.

After episode 4, there was non-stop action, everything seems to fall on its place. The series is not directed mainly to Kenji (being the genius doctor) but all the members of Team Medical Dragon. The series was able to portray that in the operating room it is not only the doctor that works to save the patient but all the members of the operating team.

I'm assuming that because it is a university hospital that's why there are a lot of oldie doctors that just do administrative work (aside from the political bickering, of course). without the white coat you might mistake them for politicians. and quite laughable when they were walking towards the boardroom and running from the boardroom as well.

hehe, this one i find very funny too, especially in the last episode....you reap what you sow.

scary thought, isn't it, that although the nurses or other members of the medical team is aware that the doctor-in charge's decision may not be the best one, they would rather accept it instead of interfering and incurring the wrath of the doctor.

other series that's quite like this?
    I haven't finished watching Iryu! I've only managed one episode a day so I've just seen it up to episode 8. 3 more to go!!! Kirishima is a selfish, conceited jerk.

Yeah I totally agree that they're no different than politicians, these old fogeys. Well almost everyone is - young and old - in their own way.

Japan hasn't made many medical drama series. The only other drama that has a similar theme, focusing on the ills of the Japanese medical system, is Shiroi Kyoto (Great White Tower). The others focus more on one aspect of the hospital, like Kyuumei Byoto 24 Ji series (24 Hour Emergency Ward 1, 2, 3), which is on the life of ER doctors; Psycho Doctor which is on psychology; or combine a hospital setting with other themes.

Scenes from Ep4:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/ep4.jpg')

I finally finished watching Iryu! And am totally glad that one particular baddie had the tables turned on him and a taste of his own medicine.

Yes and no. Both dramas deal with the same themes: the ills of the university hospital system, political power struggles, characters vying to become professors, and contrasts the talented but unscrupulous doctor withthe equally talented but principled doctor. But the similarities end here.

Shiroi Kyoto focuses on Dr Goro Zaizen's manipulation and schemes to scale the ladder from assistant professor to professor, the trials and tribulations he undergoes and his rise and fall. It depicts the backroom political wheeling and dealing in detailed fashion, the mood is serious or even somber, and the pace is slower.

For Iryu, while Dr Asada seems, at first glance, to be the central character of the drama, it soon becomes apparent that that isn't the case. Kenji Sakaguchi pretty much shares equal screen time with a whole cast of characters, who eventually become members of Team Medical Dragon - Dr Kato, Ijuuin, Miki, Dr Fujiyoshi, Dr Arase.

I found Iryu more appealing although Shiroi Kyoto is more realistic, simply because Iryu was better paced with engrossing and heart rending plot developments (especially the earlier episodes), had a cast of interesting characters, was snazzier looking and didn't take itself too seriously all the time (probably thanks to resident joker Dr Kihara). Of course there are drawbacks too like uneven character development and Kenji Sakaguchi's rather one-dimensional acting which very evidently hasn't improved since the last drama he appeared in, but this is thankfully balanced by the fact that the focus wasn't always on his Dr Asada.

My favourite characters are actually Dr Kitou, the head of ER, and Dr Kato. But if I had to pick just one, I guess it'd be Dr Kitou. I really liked her rather cunning, patronising, astute, and perceptive character.

Hmm, don't these two women happen to be the only female doctors in the hospital?

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    I finally finished watching Iryu! And am totally glad that one particular baddie had the tables turned on him and a taste of his own medicine.

Yes and no. Both dramas deal with the same themes: the ills of the university hospital system, political power struggles, characters vying to become professors, and contrasts the talented but unscrupulous doctor withthe equally talented but principled doctor. But the similarities end here.

Shiroi Kyoto focuses on Dr Goro Zaizen's manipulation and schemes to scale the ladder from assistant professor to professor, the trials and tribulations he undergoes and his rise and fall. It depicts the backroom political wheeling and dealing in detailed fashion, the mood is serious or even somber, and the pace is slower.

For Iryu, while Dr Asada seems, at first glance, to be the central character of the drama, it soon becomes apparent that that isn't the case. Kenji Sakaguchi pretty much shares equal screen time with a whole cast of characters, who eventually become members of Team Medical Dragon - Dr Kato, Ijuuin, Miki, Dr Fujiyoshi, Dr Arase.
    I like your analysis. Completely says everything I want to say about this show in a nutshell.

IOf course there are drawbacks too like uneven character development and Kenji Sakaguchi's rather one-dimensional acting which very evidently hasn't improved since the last drama he appeared in, but this is thankfully balanced by the fact that the focus wasn't always on his Dr Asada.
    I beg to differ on this. I found Sakaguchi quite charismatic and although he doesn't talk much, his actions showed his depth of character and feelings. He delivered his lines very well and there was never a dull moment when he's around. And kuddos to his amazing surgery skills in the show.

My favourite characters are actually Dr Kitou, the head of ER, and Dr Kato. But if I had to pick just one, I guess it'd be Dr Kitou. I really liked her rather cunning, patronising, astute, and perceptive character.

Hmm, don't these two women happen to be the only female doctors in the hospital?
    I like them too, but I'd give my vote to Dr Kato. She looks cool on the outside yet very passionate on the inside. I still think it'd be nice if she's with Asada. They share quite a few qualities and similarites, but then I like the nurse Meiki too.

And yeah, they seem to be the only two female doctors in the hospital. THe others are all nurses.

Scenes from Ep5:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/ep5.jpg')

I've watched 2 episodes so far and am already diggin' this show. It's entertaining, smart, and I don't feel (too) guilty for not studying while watching this since it's kind of relevant to what I should be studying anyway.

Ijuuin "Fresh Meat" Noboru can be annoying, but he really just lacks confidence in himself. His relationship with the end-stage cancer patient was quite touching. Dr. Kihara is really creepy and he acts just as people would likely presume he would by looking at him. All the actors portray their characters very well.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari
    =I found Sakaguchi quite charismatic and although he doesn't talk much, his actions showed his depth of character and feelings. He delivered his lines very well and there was never a dull moment when he's around. And kuddos to his amazing surgery skills in the show.
    I think Kenji Sakaguchi's portrayal of Dr Asada was spot on but I don't find it a remarkable performance possibly because of the way the character appeared to me - an almost infallible god. There were brief flashes of vulnerability but I couldn't feel the depth of the character very well, and couldn't help thinking that in better hands, Dr Asada might have won a fan in me.

Anyhow, I must add that unlike Shiroi Kyoto, Iryu is very rewatchable.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    I think Kenji Sakaguchi's portrayal of Dr Asada was spot on but I don't find it a remarkable performance possibly because of the way the character appeared to me - an almost infallible god. There were brief flashes of vulnerability but I couldn't feel the depth of the character very well, and couldn't help thinking that in better hands, Dr Asada might have won a fan in me.

Anyhow, I must add that unlike Shiroi Kyoto, Iryu is very rewatchable.
    I do admit that the white tower is heavy for rewatching. that's the Jap name of the show right?

I've finished Iryu and agree that it's very rewatchable. I wouldn't mind a sequel either.

Aside from at the beginning, Asada didn't seem very vulnerable at all. I mean, other characters (namely Dr. Pirhana er...Noguchi) threatened his future at Meishin Hospital, but he himself never had a truly weak moment. He's the best surgeon who succeeded in saving every patient with the "good fortune" of gracing his operating table and is an elite psychologist too, with the wisdom to bring out the best in others (Ijuuin, Arasa, etc.). Quite a contrast from the other "rock" in the show, Kirishima, who had a more human side of him revealed toward the end.

I don't really have a favorite character as they were all so unique. My favorite performances were those of Koike Teppei (Ijuuin), Inamori Izumi (Kato), and Natsuki Mari (Kitou).

The actress who plays Miki reminds me a bit of Eva Huang Sheng Yi.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://pic.enorth.com.cn/0/01/83/57/1835723_768898.jpg')
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    I've finished Iryu and agree that it's very rewatchable. I wouldn't mind a sequel either.

Aside from at the beginning, Asada didn't seem very vulnerable at all. I mean, other characters (namely Dr. Pirhana er...Noguchi) threatened his future at Meishin Hospital, but he himself never had a truly weak moment. He's the best surgeon who succeeded in saving every patient with the "good fortune" of gracing his operating table and is an elite psychologist too, with the wisdom to bring out the best in others (Ijuuin, Arasa, etc.). Quite a contrast from the other "rock" in the show, Kirishima, who had a more human side of him revealed toward the end.

I don't really have a favorite character as they were all so unique. My favorite performances were those of Koike Teppei (Ijuuin), Inamori Izumi (Kato), and Natsuki Mari (Kitou).

The actress who plays Miki reminds me a bit of Eva Huang Sheng Yi.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://pic.enorth.com.cn/0/01/83/57/1835723_768898.jpg')
    Now that you mentioned it, she really does. I thought she was pretty. I think she acted in Stand Up as well.

Now that you mentioned it, she really does. I thought she was pretty. I think she acted in Stand Up as well.
    Yeah, Lady Zhuge and strawberry, they do look alike. I feel Miki is prettier because she has quite a unique, strong character. I like Eva in Kungfu Hustle, but she doesn't really look good or pretty in other shows.

I rewatched Iryu like 5 times after I finished the show. I like the baby at the end of the show. He's so small and vulnerable and the heart is so little. All the organs look very real in this show.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari
    Yeah, Lady Zhuge and strawberry, they do look alike. I feel Miki is prettier because she has quite a unique, strong character. I like Eva in Kungfu Hustle, but she doesn't really look good or pretty in other shows.

I rewatched Iryu like 5 times after I finished the show. I like the baby at the end of the show. He's so small and vulnerable and the heart is so little. All the organs look very real in this show.
    Is this actress who acted Miki popular in Japan? I hardly see her in mags...

Yeah she was in Stand Up. I think she was the team manager of the male soccer team from another high school. Oguri Shun's character, Enami, was crazy about her and wanted her to be his girlfriend if he beat her team at soccer.

She's not very famous but I suppose you can say she's one of the many younger up and coming actresses in Japan although I'm not sure whether she'll be bursting onto the scene with a meaty role soon. Anyway, she's also in a supporting role in the current fall season's FujiTV drama Nodame Cantabile.

I have just started watching this and already I can see several similarities bet this and the while tower but they are still different dramas. For eg, the likenning of an op as a orchestra performance with precise movements and the power struggle and corruption and hypocrisy in a hospital environment. makes one feel cynical about the whole medical profession though that could be too extreme and largely a generalization.

The leading guy is good..not sure how competent an actor he was before this but he did well for this role? Did his popularity shot up after the screening of this show?

Sakaguci Kenji (Dr. Asada) was in Pride with Takuya Kimura and with Matsu Takako in Itsumo Futari De. That's all I know about him before seeing him in this drama.
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.