Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Iryu - [Team Medical Dragon]

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    Jade,

Do you know which drama is leading the ratings for this season so far ?
    This is a tough question to answer. If we just look at ratings and disregard other factors Galileo is the drama that has been getting consistently high ratings every episode. Its average rating is 22.2%. Iryu 2 and SP are in second and third place respectively with average ratings of 17.3% and 15.3%.

However, the rating is actually a comparison of what audiences are tuning in to at a current time slot on a particular day. I don't know what competition Galileo is up against but I'd say that Iryu 2 has it tougher because Joshi Deka also airs at the same time slot on a different channel. SP airs late in the night so 15.3% could actually be significantly higher if translated to an earlier time slot.

Ep10 Trailer Synopsis

click to show/hide spoilers
    Noguchi succeeds in getting Meishin accredited as a heart transplant facility because of Asada's surgery. However, he disregards the plan Kataoka Kazumi had suggested as the terms of exchange for his surgery. He dissolves his business relationship with Kataoka. Furthermore, if Otobe Yuuta's surgery succeeds, the acceptance of Asada and the other team members in Meishin will be a convenient explanation for himself ...

Kitou Shoko's first heart transplant patient after the heart transplant facility accreditation is a VIP, chairman Yamano. On the other hand, Asada gathers the team and conducts a meeting on Yuuta's condition. However, the 9-year-old Yuuta's turn for a heart transplant is extremely low compared to Kitou's patient.

The next day, Asada orders Ijyuuin to join Kitou's team. He persuades Ijyuuin to learn from Kitou's heart transplant surgeries to prepare for Yuuta's surgery.

That night, Yuuta develops liver cirrhosis. Asasda announces that they'll perform a liver transplant from a living donor, Yuuta's mother. Asada promises Yuuta, who seems discouraged by his illness, that he'll definitely be cured.

The day for Yuuta's living donor liver transplant comes. Meishin receives a telephone call. A donor has been found for Kitou's patient, chairman Yamano. At Kitou's order, Ijyuuin sets off to get the heart. Asada and the rest go into Yuuta's live organ transplant surgery although they know of this. Kitou's preparation for chairman Yamano's heart surgery is also progressing steadily but ...

Guest stars:
    Nagano Satomi as Otobe Miwa
    Tanaka Ouga as Yuuta

Karte 10: All-out War!! The Fateful Heart Transplant

Asada's surgery on Noguchi is a success and Noguchi gets Meishin accredited as a heart transplant facility. However, he disregards the plan Kataoka Kazumi had suggested as the terms of exchange for his surgery. He dissolves his business relationship with Kataoka. Furthermore, if Otobe Yuuta's surgery succeeds, the acceptance of Asada and the other team members in Meishin ...

There are two high-calibre heart surgery teams due to the temporary return of Asada and the rest to Meishin. Kitou Shoko's team is to operate on its first heart transplant patient since the heart transplant facility accreditation. Because Kitou's patient, Yamano Fumihiko is a VIP, he is placed high on the heart transplant waiting list, ready to be operated upon once a donor heart is found.

Meanwhile, Asada gathers the team and holds a meeting on Yuuta's condition. Old Team Dragon members, Arase and Miki are formidable members who have joined Fujiyoshi, Ijyuuin, Kodaka, Matsudaira, Toyama, and Nomura. However, the 9-year-old Yuuta's turn for a heart transplant is extremely low compared to Kitou's patient. Even so, Asada doesn't give up hope. He urges the members to undergo thorough training to prepare for the surgery.

Asada orders Ijyuuin to join Kitou's team one day. He persuades Ijyuuin, who cannot hide his disgruntlement, to learn from Kitou's heart transplant surgery to prepare for Yuuta's surgery because hers will be conducted first.

Noguchi cannot restrain his laughter when he learns that Ijyuuin has joined Team Kitou. Noguchi says Asada can tell that Yuuta will die before a suitable heart is found. Therefore, he is leaving the young Ijyuuin in Kitou's care before it is too late, with the intention of letting Ijyuuin remain at Meishin. Hearing this, Kihara retorts without thinking.

One night, Miki comes to the ward to find Yuuta in pain. He is immediately taken to the ICU, and diagnosed as having liver cirrhosis. Asasda announces to the assembled members that a living donor liver transplant will be performed. He says Yuuta will receive a liver transplant from his mother so that he can recover his liver function in order to wait for a donor heart. Matsudaira, who is performing the liver transplant, goes along with this thought and resolves to keep Yuuta's liver going. Asada promises Yuuta, who seems discouraged by his illness, that he'll definitely be cured.

The day for Yuuta's living donor liver transplant comes. Meishin receives a telephone call. A donor has been found for Kitou's patient, Yamano. At Kitou's order, Ijyuuin sets off to get the heart. Asada and the rest go into Yuuta's live organ transplant surgery although they know of this. Team Kitou's preparation for the heart transplant surgery also progresses steadily.

The live liver transplant surgery and the heart transplant surgery start around the same time. Matsudaira first removes a portion of liver from Yuuta's mother. On the other hand, Kitou cuts open up Yamano's chest while waiting for the donor heart. However, Yamano's condition changes abruptly, and the heart transplant becomes impossible. Without an alternative, Kitou determines that the donor heart is no longer required and contacts the organ transplant network. Ijyuuin, who is unaware of the developments, is on the way back to Meishin with the donor heart.

Kihara comes running to the observation room where Asada and the rest are watching Matsudaira's surgery. Yuuta's donor heart has been found. It is actually the heart that had been allocated to Kitou's patient. However the organ transplant network decided that Yuuta is the most suitable because Ijyuuin is already headed for Meishin and there's a priority for organ transplant. But Yuuta is already undergoing the live liver transplant surgery. Regulations prohibit heart surgery for patients with liver disorders. Moreover, it will be extremely difficult to implant an adult's donor heart in Yuuta, who is merely a child.

Despite this, Asada declares concurrent transplant surgeries of the liver and heart. Kataoka takes action in order to keep Noguchi ignorant of this surgery. Asada, Fujiyoshi and Toyama prepare for the heart transplant. They are unaware that at that moment, the vehicle that is carrying Ijyuuin to the airport has been brought to a standstill ...

Ep11 Trailer Synopsis

The donor heart is assigned to Asada's 9-year-old patient, Otobe Yuuta, because Kitou's team had given up on a heart transplant surgery for chairman Yamano Fumihiko. Matsudaira is performing a live liver transplant surgery on Yuuta but Asada decides to conduct a heart transplant concurrently.

The surgery begins. Arase says this team is the strongest. It will be a very difficult surgery with an adult donor heart being implanted into Yuuta in addition to a live liver transplant at the same time. Furthermore, when Yuuta's chest is cut open, it is determined the synechia is more than they had hypothesised, but Asada unflappably proceeds with the surgery.

Word of the surgery performed by Asada and the rest captures the attention of the medical staff at Meishin. As the doctors are in an uproar, a man appears at Meishin. It is Kirishima Gunji.

In the observation room, Kataoka Kazumi is telling Fujiyoshi how she came to be involved in the foreign investment fund when the internal phone in the operating theatre rings. Arase picks up the phone and is stunned. He says Ijyuuin, who had gone to pick up the donor heart, is stranded. Kataoka, who hears this ...

Guest stars:
    Nagano Satomi as Otobe Miwa
    Tanaka Ouga as Yuuta
    Nakamura Makoto as Yamano Fumihiko
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 12-22-07 at 03:58 AM.

Iryu 2 ended its run yesterday night. Viewership ratings for the episodes are:

Ep 1 - 21.0%
    Ep 2 - 16.8%
    Ep 3 - 15.5%
    Ep 4 - 15.8%
    Ep 5 - 15.0%
    Ep 6 - 17.6%
    Ep 7 - 14.1%
    Ep 8 - 16.6%
    Ep 9 - 17.6%
    Ep 10 - 15.4%
    Ep 11 - 17.7%
    Avg - 17.2%

Karte 11: Fateful 4 Hours!! Last Surgery

The donor heart is assigned to Asada's 9-year-old patient, Otobe Yuuta, because Kitou's team had given up on a heart transplant surgery for chairman Yamano Fumihiko. Matsudaira is performing a live liver transplant surgery on Yuuta but Asada decides to conduct a heart transplant concurrently.

The surgery begins. Arase says this team is the strongest. It will be a very difficult surgery with an adult donor heart being implanted into Yuuta in addition to a live liver transplant at the same time. Furthermore, when Yuuta's chest is cut open, it is determined the synechia is more than they had hypothesised, but Asada unflappably proceeds with the surgery.

Word of the surgery performed by Asada and the rest captures the attention of the medical staff at Meishin. As the doctors are in an uproar, a man appears at Meishin. It is Kirishima Gunji.

In the observation room above, Kataoka Kazumi is telling Fujiyoshi how she came to be involved in the foreign investment fund when the internal phone in the operating theatre rings. Arase picks up the phone and is stunned. He says Ijyuuin, who had gone to pick up the donor heart, is stranded. Kataoka, who hears this, arranges for a helicopter to pick Ijyuuin up.

Just as Ijyuuin, who is stranded in the woods, is assailed with a sense of despair, the helicopter Kataoka had requested appears. He manages to get the donor heart to the hospital on time but the synechiotomy isn't finished. Asada suddenly announces its completion and changes the surgical procedure due to the small extent of the synechiotomy. However, Kirishima shows up at the observation room and tells Fujiyoshi that the odds of success for this surgical procedure is extremely low.

Meanwhile, Noguchi, who is at a party, finally learns about the surgery that Asada and the rest are performing from one of his subordinates. He orders it stopped immediately but is prevented from doing so by Kataoka, who has arrived at the party. The heart transplant will be a failure if it is stopped in this manner but if the simultaneous transplants of the heart and liver by Asada's team is a success, it will be the first of its kind in Japan, Kataoka says. Hearing this, Noguchi is pacified.

Despite Kirishima's misgivings, Asada's team proceeds with the surgery with quick precision. Their collaboration also merits Kirishima's envy. The surgery is at last completed but ... as all present feel a sense of relief, the electrocardiogram's alarm rings. The donor heart displays ventricular tachycardia because the surgery overlong. Even the electroshocks delivered doesn't revive the heart. Then Asada quietly wraps his hand around the heart to palpate it. He tells the rest to begin further surgery on the donor heart, and immediately makes an incision. The medical staff hold their breaths at a development that no longer seems reckless to them. But that worry is unnecessary. The sutured heart once again starts beating perfectly.

The surgery's success is also communicated to Noguchi who is greeting the crowd at the party venue with a look of pride. Noguchi is about to tell all those present as if it were his own affair but ... the footage being projected behind him are reports on his scandal. Zenda and Kataoka say their farewells to a flustered Noguchi. Their joint effort has resulted in Noguchi's ouster.

After Asada and Ijyuuin finish transporting Yuuta to the ICU, they meet Kitou, who is accompanying Yamano's stretcher. Yamano survived because of the next generation artificial heart Kirishima had brought. Kitou and Kirishima have saved the life of a patient with their hands.

In Noguchi's room some days later, Kataoka tells Zenda about the complete change in the management policy. Meishin will become a general hospital to put its economies of scale to use, and Zenda's Hokuyou will continue to offer community healthcare.

A Christmas party is held at the reborn Meishin. After that, Ijyuuin and the rest work hard in their respective fields but Asada has travelled abroad because there are patients there ...

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts View Post
    You're welcome. I'm getting the latest episodes that air from torrents. I can't stand waiting for the season to end to get my dose of Iryu through DVD.

My Iryu 2 favourite episode has to be Ep 8. It's a very memorable and heart rending one that really moved me but yet didn't come across as overwrought and melodramatic. Still, I must say that I prefer the original Iryu series compared to the sequel. The mood isn't quite the same in this one. And with the multitude of characters to juggle in Iryu 2, some of my favourite characters have been relegated to being wallflowers while the character development of the new ones have been unbalanced and not exactly interesting to watch. Asada is just bland even though he's the main character.

I'm still watching it because I want to know where it leads from here, and there's the occasional episode that's rewarding to watch.
    That's a bit sad to hear, but nonetheless not surprising. i really love the original Iryu as well. Finished it in a single night. In every episode, there's something captivating, engaging and worthwhile to watch. Everyone has his own story. The directorship was excellent.

I was expecting the sequel to be as good, if not better than the first one since expectations are higher and probably they put more effort into it, but obviously from what you wrote, they missed the original direction and value the initial show has.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari View Post
    That's a bit sad to hear, but nonetheless not surprising. i really love the original Iryu as well. Finished it in a single night. In every episode, there's something captivating, engaging and worthwhile to watch. Everyone has his own story. The directorship was excellent.

I was expecting the sequel to be as good, if not better than the first one since expectations are higher and probably they put more effort into it, but obviously from what you wrote, they missed the original direction and value the initial show has.
    English subs (up to Ep 8 at this moment) by B.O.N is available at D-Addicts. The subbed version maybe available for viewing at Crunchyroll if you don't want to get the torrent. Watch it and judge for yourself.

Iryu 2 unfolds in a way similar to Iryu. A disparate bunch of seemingly problematic or inept medical staff find themselves captivated and grudgingly drawn to the talented Asada. In doing so, they find motivation to overcome their personal setbacks and come together to form a formidable team pitted against the hospital management because they are focused on the welfare of patients. By choosing to rely on the same formula that worked for Iryu, consigning Asada to a figure akin to a god and sidelining interesting characters like Kitou and Arase, I suppose Iryu 2, in a way, sealed its fate. The quality is rather inconsistent and I disliked the way Iryu 2 was wrapped up at the very end. I feared deja vu but it was worst - cheesy.

If you're wondering whether the script writer answered the question posed in the very beginning: money vs life? They did, but it was somewhat like an afterthought.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QjtUlw93L._SS500_.jpg')

Iryu 2 Track Listing
    01:Dragon Rises
    02:Blue Dragon ('07 ver.)
    03:Engel und Teufel
    04:Feind oder Freund
    05:Intrigant
    06:Entlassen
    07:In The Box
    08:Thick Tone
    09:Spirit
    10:Red Dragon ('07 ver.)
    11:Aesthetic
    12:Battle with silence
    13:Out Balance
    14:Eugel und Teufel
    15:Psychological Warfare
    16:Black Smile
    17:Spirit
    18:Spike
    19:Northern Sea
    20:Blue Dragon
    21:One
    22:Building The Church

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts View Post
    English subs (up to Ep 8 at this moment) by B.O.N is available at D-Addicts. The subbed version maybe available for viewing at Crunchyroll if you don't want to get the torrent. Watch it and judge for yourself.

Iryu 2 unfolds in a way similar to Iryu. A disparate bunch of seemingly problematic or inept medical staff find themselves captivated and grudgingly drawn to the talented Asada. In doing so, they find motivation to overcome their personal setbacks and come together to form a formidable team pitted against the hospital management because they are focused on the welfare of patients. By choosing to rely on the same formula that worked for Iryu, consigning Asada to a figure akin to a god and sidelining interesting characters like Kitou and Arase, I suppose Iryu 2, in a way, sealed its fate. The quality is rather inconsistent and I disliked the way Iryu 2 was wrapped up at the very end. I feared deja vu but it was worst - cheesy.

If you're wondering whether the script writer answered the question posed in the very beginning: money vs life? They did, but it was somewhat like an afterthought.
    I like Izumi Inamori in the original story. Aside from Asada, she is the spirit of the show and holds the whole story together. Iryu 2 wouldn't feel the same without her presence.

Just finished watched Iryu 2. I have to say it's more exciting than Iryu1, but I prefer Iryu 1, dunno why. Maybe because Asada never failed? he,he,he... I know the same thing also with Iryu 1, but as I got to watch the second Iryu, I'm kinda over it.

But I really what to to the funsub, especially to jade_frost .. it's was a great and hardwork with the medical terms and the trouble of putting a lot of remarks for the terms. Otsukare sama desu. Thank you so much for that hard work.

**spoiler**

My fave is ep 10 when Yuuta-kun wonder if he needed in this world. I cried. It was touching when it came from 7 y.o.
    Last edited by eeyore; 02-17-08 at 09:00 PM.
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post

**spoiler**

My fave is ep 10 when Yuuta-kun wonder if he needed in this world. I cried. It was touching when it came from 7 y.o.
    Yeah, that part was definitely touching. Yuta was so cute and had to carry a burden much too heavy for a child of that age.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Default Team Medical Dragon (Iryu)

I had just finished watching this 2006 FujiTV series that depicts the strugles of a cardiothoracic team in developing a new surgical treatment while being embroiled in an internal hospital power struggle.
    http://www.amazon.com/2006-Japanese-...5877230&sr=8-1

A sample on Google
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...89956426&hl=en

I thought that it was a pretty good drama with some modification from the original manga which was written by a doctor. http://www.mangafox.com/manga/team_medical_dragon/

Anyone watched this series before?

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    I had just finished watching this 2006 FujiTV series that depicts the strugles of a cardiothoracic team in developing a new surgical treatment while being embroiled in an internal hospital power struggle.
    http://www.amazon.com/2006-Japanese-...5877230&sr=8-1

A sample on Google
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...89956426&hl=en

I thought that it was a pretty good drama with some modification from the original manga which was written by a doctor. http://www.mangafox.com/manga/team_medical_dragon/

Anyone watched this series before?

Han Solo
    You finally took my advice, huh? Now that you've seen the prequel, how about watching the sequel, Iryu 2?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Me bad for not searching the forum- knew that there was one thread about this before.

I liked season 1. Is season 2 worth it?

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Not bad if you don't mind it rehashing the same formula from season 1 with some new members. But the new characters weren't as strong as in season 1. What I loved about Iryu was Arase and Kitou.

I feel the storyline in Iryu 2 is more logical and realistic than season 1, but I watched Iryu 1 in one night, coz it's more dramatic though sometimes illogical.

I found Iryu 1 to be very sweeping and touching, esp with the theme song Aesthetic (is it?). i haven't finished 2 yet though the story's really good too.

Missed Dr Kato though. I think I'm the only one here who likes her the most. heh.

Well, i might give Season 2 a try then.

Arase in Season 1, is made more dopey than he was in the manga. In the manga, he was a real smart ***.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

I loved Iryu 1 so much I read the manga later. It's a great series.

Iryu 2 I only watched the first episode of, but I felt the magic was gone so I pushed it aside and haven't gone back to it.

Rob