Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Iryu - [Team Medical Dragon]

Default Iryu - [Team Medical Dragon]

"Iryu - Team Medical Dragon," the hit TV series (11 episodes) stars Kenji Sakaguchi, Izumi Inamori, Teppei Koike and Kazuki Kitamura......

It is adapted from hit Manga and tells the story of a brilliant cardio surgeon Asada Ryutaro, a renegade whose ways defy the corrupted medical system in order to save his patients. Having finished the series in one day, I could say this is one of the best Japanese series I ever watched. I enjoyed it more than The Great White Tower and the soudtrack's amazing.

I like all the actors, esp the leading actor who'd go ahead with anything as long as it's right, without regard for what he's getting himself into. The surgery scenes are very interesting to watch and Asada's skills are amazing to behold. Here's some pics:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/zara4ever/Team%20Medical%20Dragon/7_2_153a10f6503b413.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/zara4ever/Team%20Medical%20Dragon/7_2_2f6150f1c1b814b.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/zara4ever/Team%20Medical%20Dragon/7_2_8021322027647d9.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/zara4ever/Team%20Medical%20Dragon/7_2_4a996fdae804176.jpg')

Hi Nefertari,

I am interested to watch this show too. It was described by one of our friends here as the runaway hit in Japan last season. I am currently into Japanese stuff as well and have just finished quite a few Jap serials. I thought the male lead looked pretty charismatic. I was also curious about Teppei's performance.

Its better than the great white Tower? That was a a very good show already....wow, that's high praise. and a great soundtrack? even better cause I thought the great white tower had great music too.

I will get a copy when its available for sale here..should be anytime soon.

i am actually surprised that no one else did a thread for it before you.

I like the idealism and different characters displayed in this series.

Here's the official website:

http://wwwz.fujitv.co.jp/iryu/index2.html

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/zara4ever/Team%20Medical%20Dragon/PCBC-61089.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/zara4ever/Team%20Medical%20Dragon/ew060427020.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/zara4ever/Team%20Medical%20Dragon/ew060427021.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    i am actually surprised that no one else did a thread for it before you.
    I think it's because it aired in Japan last April. I happened to buy the DVD in July, which is pretty fast. So far, there hasn't been much news of this series in Asia and I guess the series hasn't hit the shops yet in Singapore etc.

It's a really good one. I thought The Great White Tower was only interesting towards the end of the show, but this one every episode is paced well and very good storylines. That's what I feel. And yeah, the lead actor's very enigmatic and intuitive. He's a very strong and different character in the show.

Is Teppei the younger actor? Everyone acts well in here, so I will say he's impressive. Everyone has a story of his own in this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari
    I think it's because it aired in Japan last April. I happened to buy the DVD in July, which is pretty fast. So far, there hasn't been much news of this series in Asia and I guess the series hasn't hit the shops yet in Singapore etc.

It's a really good one. I thought The Great White Tower was only interesting towards the end of the show, but this one every episode is paced well and very good storylines. That's what I feel. And yeah, the lead actor's very enigmatic and intuitive. He's a very strong and different character in the show.

Is Teppei the younger actor? Everyone acts well in here, so I will say he's impressive. Everyone has a story of his own in this series.
    Thanks for starting this thread Nefertari. I've been wanting to watch this series but felt rather apprehensive about it when I learnt Kenji Sakaguchi was the male lead as I've never really thought of him as a competent actor (after watching him in Itsumo Futari De, Koi no Chikara, Tentai Kansoku). After hearing your thoughts I'm gonna dig in! I've also heard many people raving over this track called Aesthetic in the OST.

I don't think this drama will get much mention outside Asia because there were so many dramas that starred big names in the industry during the spring season. Kenji Sakaguchi and Inamori Izumi aren't exactly household names here compared to Naohito Fujiki (even though Gyarusa was total crap), Yamapi, and for that matter, Etsushi Toyokawa. Still, it's interesting that it managed to trump all the other dramas and rank the most satisfactory spring drama for most age groups.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    Thanks for starting this thread Nefertari. I've been wanting to watch this series but felt rather apprehensive about it when I learnt Kenji Sakaguchi was the male lead as I've never really thought of him as a competent actor (after watching him in Itsumo Futari De, Koi no Chikara, Tentai Kansoku). After hearing your thoughts I'm gonna dig in! I've also heard many people raving over this track called Aesthetic in the OST.
    Judging by his performance, I thought Kenji's a really good actor. That is, it's actually the first time I saw him in a series since I haven't been catching much Japanese TV in recent years. Perhaps, it's because he relates to the character well with his own personality. I thought he's pretty good looking too.

The only ones I'd been watching lately is Ooku and Gokusen. I don't really know the series you mention since I really suck with Japanese names. The only actor whose Japanese name I know is Takayu Kimura because he's so famous. The other ones I only know their names in Chinese characters. The same goes for actresses and series titles.

I really like the hymn. It's so touching, even better than the one in Great White Tower in that it could touch me to the depths of my soul. I actually hope there's a sequel to this series or it has a couple more episodes. I think Kenji has good chemistry with Izumi, although they're not a couple in here.

I don't think this drama will get much mention outside Asia because there were so many dramas that starred big names in the industry during the spring season. Kenji Sakaguchi and Inamori Izumi aren't exactly household names here compared to Naohito Fujiki (even though Gyarusa was total crap), Yamapi, and for that matter, Etsushi Toyokawa. Still, it's interesting that it managed to trump all the other dramas and rank the most satisfactory spring drama for most age groups.
    Yeah, I agree. By the way, how do you get to know the names of so many Japanese actors and actresses? I could never associate the right name with the right actor.

When I watched the series, I feel as if I'm living in it. Possibly because I can relate it to myself. Even when I'm travelling on the bus, I could feel strongly the beliefs and themes in the story, how certain parts came back to me and the song just kept hymning in my head. The OST could really bring tears to you if you're easily touched.
    Last edited by Nefertari; 08-26-06 at 02:53 AM.

The only ones I'd been watching lately is Ooku and Gokusen. I don't really know the series you mention since I really suck with Japanese names. The only actor whose Japanese name I know is Takayu Kimura because he's so famous. The other ones I only know their names in Chinese characters. The same goes for actresses and series titles.

Yeah, I agree. By the way, how do you get to know the names of so many Japanese actors and actresses? I could never associate the right name with the right actor.

When I watched the series, I feel as if I'm living in it. Possibly because I can relate it to myself. Even when I'm travelling on the bus, I could feel strongly the beliefs and themes in the story, how certain parts came back to me and the song just kept hymning in my head. The OST could really bring tears to you if you're easily touched.
    Me too...I have the same problem. In addition, I also only know their Jap name in Chinese most of the time.

That's what good dramas can do for you sometimes.

Who's Naohito Fujiki ?

Who's Naohito Fujiki ?
    This is from the site: http://www.geocities.com/naohito_fujiki_72/

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.geocities.com/naohito_fujiki_72/bio_page_1.gif')
    Nao was talent scouted for the role of Hanazawa Rui in the manga-adapted film "Hana Yori Dango" 1995. Then he bowed out to complete his studies (Department of Science and Engineering / Major in Information Technology) at the prestigious Waseda University in Tokyo, before returning to showbiz in 1997.

One of his earliest works was the hit drama "GTO Great Teacher Onizuka" in which he played actor Takashi Sorimachi’s gangster-turned-cop buddy. The recent hit drama “Love Revolution” in which he plays TV reporter Eiichiro Suga, a charming playboy who seduces women to scoops about politician, has bring him a step towards the hearts of South-East Asia viewers. His latest drama "Antique" was on-air in December 2001 and "First Time" in 8 January 2002, Japan.

Nao also writes songs and has been releasing CD since 1999. His latest Single, "Wonderful Days", made it to eighth place on the Oricon charts.

Nao was also the media-spokesmen for many brands/products such as, Shisedo, Toyota, Sharp, Sun Ten FX Neo & etc. He has also done a monolog NF/Naohito Fujiki (ISBN 4-7897-1685-6) published by Sony magazine on 2001/05.

This is from the site: http://www.geocities.com/naohito_fujiki_72/

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.geocities.com/naohito_fujiki_72/bio_page_1.gif')
    Nao was talent scouted for the role of Hanazawa Rui in the manga-adapted film "Hana Yori Dango" 1995. Then he bowed out to complete his studies (Department of Science and Engineering / Major in Information Technology) at the prestigious Waseda University in Tokyo, before returning to showbiz in 1997.

One of his earliest works was the hit drama "GTO Great Teacher Onizuka" in which he played actor Takashi Sorimachi’s gangster-turned-cop buddy. The recent hit drama “Love Revolution” in which he plays TV reporter Eiichiro Suga, a charming playboy who seduces women to scoops about politician, has bring him a step towards the hearts of South-East Asia viewers. His latest drama "Antique" was on-air in December 2001 and "First Time" in 8 January 2002, Japan.

Nao also writes songs and has been releasing CD since 1999. His latest Single, "Wonderful Days", made it to eighth place on the Oricon charts.

Nao was also the media-spokesmen for many brands/products such as, Shisedo, Toyota, Sharp, Sun Ten FX Neo & etc. He has also done a monolog NF/Naohito Fujiki (ISBN 4-7897-1685-6) published by Sony magazine on 2001/05. .
    Thank you very much Nefertari.

I only managed to have a quick glance at the webpage so far....its pretty impressive. I believe I am not at all familar with this actor before.

Judging by his performance, I thought Kenji's a really good actor. That is, it's actually the first time I saw him in a series since I haven't been catching much Japanese TV in recent years. Perhaps, it's because he relates to the character well with his own personality. I thought he's pretty good looking too.
    Iryu won awards for Best Drama and Best Director at the 49th Television Drama Academy Awards (that's for the spring season) although it didn't receive that much attention. Definitely one more reason to watch this. Haha, I guess I'm biased against Kenji because I've never seen him casted in a role that challenged his acting chops.

Well, I think their names sound nicer in Japanese than Chinese. Plus, I'm a big Japanese drama addict. I've been watching them since 2000 so perhaps it comes naturally to me? It also helps that I can understand and read Japanese, I guess. Even with the popularity of Korean dramas, I've never been able to enjoy them much. I like the fact that the smaller number of episodes forces better pacing and plot development in Japanese dramas. There's a greater variety of themes and settings, and interesting cultural nuggets thrown in every drama and less tendency for melodrama or histrionics.

Who's Naohito Fujiki?
    Oh strawberry, Naohito won fame when he starred in Love Revolution with Makiko Esumi, I'm not sure if you've heard of it but it was and still is a popular drama because of a very telegenic cast and catchy and appropriately named theme song called Kiss of Life. Women just adored his suave, confident, debonair news reporter character. I liked him very much too but his recent drama performances haven't been very good. He's also grown skinny.

Screenshots from Love Revolution:
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/LR1-1.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/LR2.jpg')
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 08-26-06 at 06:08 AM.

Iryu won awards for Best Drama and Best Director at the 49th Television Drama Academy Awards (that's for the spring season) although it didn't receive that much attention. Definitely one more reason to watch this. Haha, I guess I'm biased against Kenji because I've never seen him casted in a role that challenged his acting chops.

Well, I think their names sound nicer in Japanese than Chinese. Plus, I'm a big Japanese drama addict. I've been watching them since 2000 so perhaps it comes naturally to me? It also helps that I can understand and read Japanese, I guess. Even with the popularity of Korean dramas, I've never been able to enjoy them much. I like the fact that the smaller number of episodes forces better pacing and plot development in Japanese dramas. There's a greater variety of themes and settings, and interesting cultural nuggets thrown in every drama and less tendency for melodrama or histrionics.

Oh strawberry, Naohito won fame when he starred in Love Revolution with Makiko Esumi, I'm not sure if you've heard of it but it was and still is a popular drama because of a very telegenic cast and catchy and appropriately named theme song called Kiss of Life. Women just adored his suave, confident, debonair news reporter character. I liked him very much too but his recent drama performances haven't been very good. He's also grown skinny.

Screenshots from Love Revolution:
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/LR1-1.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/LR2.jpg')
    Now, I know who he is...Teng Mu Zhi Ren.

Oh Jade, you can speak and read Jap? That's awesome! I will love to be able to do that...I have so many Jap mags and each time when I see Jap clips, I am just dying to know what the hosts, guests and audience basically are laughing and talking about?

How young did you start picking it up, through official learning? how many years did it take you to be fluent? sorry for asking so much but I really envy you, I wish I had your ability too.

Hmm, just a short note on Iryu: some of the medical stuff and issues are not quite true, and the portrayal of some practice is also unprofessional. For people who are stickler for realism, stay away from this one.

The romance department is also under-developed. Anyway, this is not supposed to be a romance series.

Now, I know who he is...Teng Mu Zhi Ren.

Oh Jade, you can speak and read Jap? That's awesome! I will love to be able to do that...I have so many Jap mags and each time when I see Jap clips, I am just dying to know what the hosts, guests and audience basically are laughing and talking about?

How young did you start picking it up, through official learning? how many years did it take you to be fluent? sorry for asking so much but I really envy you, I wish I had your ability too.
    Yup I started Japanese classes after graduating from university and studied for about 2 years before losing interest in the lessons. Now, whatever I learn is picked up from drama watching. I'm not proficient in the language yet but I can understand more than half of the conversation in a drama or variety show if it doesn't involve business, medical or technical terminology. I'm totally flummoxed if its a period drama though. Speaking is more difficult than reading and listening because I just can't get attuned to the way things should be but it's still easier than writing! You can do it too if you have the interest and discipline. Japanese isn't an easy language to learn but I love holidaying in Japan, so I have lots of motivation to keep getting better at it.

Yup I started Japanese classes after graduating from university and studied for about 2 years before losing interest in the lessons. Now, whatever I learn is picked up from drama watching. I'm not proficient in the language yet but I can understand more than half of the conversation in a drama or variety show if it doesn't involve business, medical or technical terminology. I'm totally flummoxed if its a period drama though. Speaking is more difficult than reading and listening because I just can't get attuned to the way things should be but it's still easier than writing! You can do it too if you have the interest and discipline. Japanese isn't an easy language to learn but I love holidaying in Japan, so I have lots of motivation to keep getting better at it.
    thank you for the reply.

I love watching Japanese shows, and think it's a beautiful culture and language, but don't think would have the motivation to site down properly to pick up the language.

Thanks for sharing.

I finally got down to watching the first episode of Iryu today. Asada is such a renegade with a devil-may-care attitude, and what a bureaucratic organisation Meishin University Hospital is. It feels quite a bit like Shiroi Kyoto (Great White Tower) but differs in that it is a faster-paced, slicker and edgier production and has a more telegenic cast. I was quite doubtful about some of the medical procedures and rue the fact that I'm watching it with Chinese and not English subtitles.

Also, I can't decide whether Kenji Sakaguchi has become a better actor in this one as it's still way too early but it's definitely more interesting than some of this season's dramas, and I suspect, next season's too.
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 09-10-06 at 07:33 AM.

I am waiting for it to be available at Poh Kim, seems that its taking an unusually longer time for this drama, more so than Kurosagi.

I am waiting for it to be available at Poh Kim, seems that its taking an unusually longer time for this drama, more so than Kurosagi.
    Patience, patience, strawberry! Perhaps they're taking extra care with the production such that the quality will be better for such a good show? How long does it take for Kurosagi to come out? It's only been four months since the show was telecast.