View Poll Results: Greatest Chinese martial artist/choreographers of modern times

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bruce Lee

9 69.23%
  • Sammo Hung

0 0%
  • Jackie Chan

1 7.69%
  • Jet Li

0 0%
  • Donnie Yen

2 15.38%
  • Wu Jing

1 7.69%

Thread: Greatest Chinese martial artist/choreographers of modern times

Post Greatest Chinese martial artist/choreographers of modern times

This is a wuxia forum, and also a martial arts forums. I don't know where to post this, but maybe here is the correct forum.

In your opinion, who is the greatest Chinese martial artist/choreographers of modern times?

Bruce Lee, Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Donnie Yen or Wu Jing?

Anyone here remembers Bruce Lee's one-inch punch and two finger push-ups?
    ..ext88

What about Yuen Wo Ping? In the field of martial arts choreography, Yuen's achievements dwarf the combined efforts of all the people that you've mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi
    What about Yuen Wo Ping? In the field of martial arts choreography, Yuen's achievements dwarf the combined efforts of all the people that you've mentioned.
    Yep. I forgot about him. He was a world-renowed choreographer of Kill-Bill and not forgetting Fearless. But what I mean is both martia arts/choreographer, can fight well and act well at the same time...
    ..ext88

I vote Jackie simply because he's a great martial artist and entertainer. Also Bruce Lee is a special mention, I mean just look at how many people try to portray that kind of martial arts style in movies and video games so many years after he died.

Probably living in seclusion somewhere with an emu...
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs
    I vote Jackie simply because he's a great martial artist and entertainer. Also Bruce Lee is a special mention, I mean just look at how many people try to portray that kind of martial arts style in movies and video games so many years after he died.
    The thing about Jackie Chan is that he is more the funny type. And in some of his fights, he seems to rely on some luck with wierd fighting. Out of the Jackie Chen moves that I've seen, I've been very impressed with The Myth and it just so happens in The Myth that the combats and fighting are serious.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88
    Yep. I forgot about him. He was a world-renowed choreographer of Kill-Bill and not forgetting Fearless. But what I mean is both martia arts/choreographer, can fight well and act well at the same time...
    Yuen also choreographed the Matrix trilogy. It's arguable that Yuen has made more impact in Hollywood than the others because of how much other movies have "borrowed" from the action in the Matrix movies.

In terms of martial arts/choreographer, I would probably have to say it's Bruce Lee despite the fact that he's made relatively few movies. Bruce is respected as a legitimate martial artist more than anyone else, except maybe for Jet Li. Also, Bruce's charisma is incredible. When I was in Japan a few years ago, I was amazed to see Bruce Lee posters in subways because of how he beat the hell out of a bunch of Japanese fighters in his movies.

Jet Li is my personal favorite though in terms of image and fighting style. I find Jet Li's moves to be far more beautiful than the moves of anyone else. Jackie Chen, in my opinion, has pretty lousy looking martial arts, although I still enjoy watching some of his newer movies and I loved his movies when I was a kid.
    Last edited by Wu Wudi; 08-25-06 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    The thing about Jackie Chan is that he is more the funny type. And in some of his fights, he seems to rely on some luck with wierd fighting. Out of the Jackie Chen moves that I've seen, I've been very impressed with The Myth and it just so happens in The Myth that the combats and fighting are serious.
    The Myth is a Westernized movie, right? I haven't seen it yet but some old Chinese fogies told me that it wasn't so good.

My top 10 favorite action choreographers are (staring with the best):

1. Yuen Tak (Operation Scorpio, Saviour of the Soul)
    2. Yuen Wo Ping (Tai Chi Master, Jet Li's Fearless)
    3. Corey Yuen Kwai (Fist of Fury 1991 part 2, Fong Sai Yuk 1 and 2)
    4. Sammo Hung (Blade of Fury, Moon Warriors, Odd Couple)
    5. Ching Siu Tung (Swordsman II, Duel to the Death, Royal Tramp II, John Woo's The Killer, Shaolin Soccer, Zhang Yimou's Hero, Butterfly Sword, Heroic Trio, Peking Opera Blues, Patrick Tam's The Sword, Dangerous Encounter--1st Kind)
    6. Liu Chia Liang (many Shaw Brothers films, Bare-footed Kid, Drunken Master 2)
    7. The Venoms (the Shaw Brothers venoms films, Shanghai 13)
    8. Lau Kar Wing (Once Upon a Time in China 1, Shanghai 13, Shaw Brothers)
    9. Yuen Cheung Yan (Fire Dragon, King of Beggars, Once Upon a Time in China 1, co-choreographed many with Yuen Wo Ping)
    10. Stephen Tung Wai (Tsui Hark's Blade, Jet Li's Hitman)
    Last edited by PJ; 12-28-07 at 03:22 AM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

The Myth is a Westernized movie, right? I haven't seen it yet but some old Chinese fogies told me that it wasn't so good.
    No...., I don't think so. I thought The Myth was a Hong Kong production.

Well, Myth was nominated for that Hong Kong Award Thingy. Whether you like it or not depends on your interest on Chinese History. If you hate it, then don't bother watching it. However, for someone like me who like Chinese History and also like warrior spirited people (like Xiao Feng!), they will enjoy it. Meng Yi taking on an whole army. Pwn!!!
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚

No...., I don't think so. I thought The Myth was a Hong Kong production.

Well, Myth was nominated for that Hong Kong Award Thingy. Whether you like it or not depends on your interest on Chinese History. If you hate it, then don't bother watching it. However, for someone like me who like Chinese History and also like warrior spirited people (like Xiao Feng!), they will enjoy it. Meng Yi taking on an whole army. Pwn!!!
    And Jin Xi Shan was in the movie too...
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    My top 10 favorite action choreographers are (staring with the best):

1. Yuen Tak (Operation Condor, Saviour of the Soul)
    2. Yuen Wo Ping (Tai Chi Master, Jet Li's Fearless)
    3. Corey Yuen Kwai (Fist of Fury 1991 part 2, Fong Sai Yuk 1 and 2)
    4. Sammo Hung (Blade of Fury, Moon Warriors, Odd Couple)
    5. Ching Siu Tung (Swordsman II, Duel to the Death, Royal Tramp II, John Woo's The Killer, Shaolin Soccer, Zhang Yimou's Hero, Butterfly Sword, Heroic Trio, Peking Opera Blues, Patrick Tam's The Sword, Dangerous Encounter--1st Kind)
    6. Liu Chia Liang (many Shaw Brothers films, Bare-footed Kid, Drunken Master 2)
    7. The Venoms (the Shaw Brothers venoms films, Shanghai 13)
    8. Lau Kar Wing (Once Upon a Time in China 1, Shanghai 13, Shaw Brothers)
    9. Yuen Cheung Yan (Fire Dragon, King of Beggars, Once Upon a Time in China 1, co-choreographed many with Yuen Wo Ping)
    10. Stephen Tung Wai (Tsui Hark's Blade, Jet Li's Hitman)

it's interesting that #1 2, 3, 4, 9 and jackie chan all came from one teacher and I think all of them are really good, but in terms of recent stuff, donnie yen is IMHO one of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by frymantis
    it's interesting that #1 2, 3, 4, 9 and jackie chan all came from one teacher and I think all of them are really good, but in terms of recent stuff, donnie yen is IMHO one of the best.
    The fight between Donnie Yen and Jet Li in Once Upon A Time in China was considered one of the best fights in chinese martial arts film history.
    ..ext88

Even better than the one in Hero :shock:

Myth was awesome. The plot line is BS, but who cares, there's history, there's romance, there's hero/warrior spirit, there's good fighting scenes (how good was the one move k.o. by Meng Yi using a spear eh?), there's some BS science, there's mystery, a pretty korean chick and a sexy indian chick and an awesome theme song.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz
    a pretty korean chick and a sexy indian chick and an awesome theme song.
    So who's better - the korean or the indian one? The theme song was great indeed...
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88
    So who's better - the korean or the indian one? The theme song was great indeed...
    I'm getting sick of random Korean chicks in Chinese movies just because of the recent popularithy of Korean stars in Asia. That love story between Donnie Yen and the Korean chick completely ruined the pace of 7 swords and turn it from a 8/10 to a 5/10.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz
    Even better than the one in Hero :shock:

Myth was awesome. The plot line is BS, but who cares, there's history, there's romance, there's hero/warrior spirit, there's good fighting scenes (how good was the one move k.o. by Meng Yi using a spear eh?), there's some BS science, there's mystery, a pretty korean chick and a sexy indian chick and an awesome theme song.
    I agree that while the whole thing is completely made up (other than the fact that Qin Shi Huang really existed), but it has everything as you said. And the fight scene unlike the regular Jackie Chen movies, is much more realistic and violent in this one. Especially when Meng Yi had to fight the whole army by himself (reminds me of XF at JY Manor...).

I agree that while the whole thing is completely made up (other than the fact that Qin Shi Huang really existed), but it has everything as you said. And the fight scene unlike the regular Jackie Chen movies, is much more realistic and violent in this one. Especially when Meng Yi had to fight the whole army by himself (reminds me of XF at JY Manor...).
    You've convinced me to rent it. I hope that the action scenes are as you described. Since I've become an adult, I've not liked Jackie's fighting scenes that much because he looks like a monkey jumping around compared to someone like Jet Li and Jackie's strikes look kinda fake. I do think that Jacky can pull off a realistic fighting style though because he is such a good athlete. He just need to tone down on the trademark Jackie moves that are only fun to watch for kids.

Since I've become an adult, I've not liked Jackie's fighting scenes that much because he looks like a monkey jumping around compared to someone like Jet Li and Jackie's strikes look kinda fake. I do think that Jacky can pull off a realistic fighting style though because he is such a good athlete. He just need to tone down on the trademark Jackie moves that are only fun to watch for kids.
    It's for the exact reason that Jackie doesn't fight like a monkey that I liked it( I am a teen). Once the director did an interview for this. The person who was asking the question asked why was Jackie's fighting scenes much more brutal and more serious than the normal monkey jumping fights. The director replied that because the ancient parts of the story take place in Qin Dynasty. And the period that time was nothing to joke about, it seriously was a dangerous period. And that is why the Jackie as the general couldn't be the usual monkey.

The fight scenes:
    1. Korean general vs. Meng Yi. Serious sword fight that was sweet IMO.
    2. Ambush on princess. Serious fight scene.
    3. Modern Period: Jackie against the 2 indians. Ok, this was the ONLY usual monkey fight scene.
    4. Memory/Flashback: Meng Yi vs. Prince. Serious sword and saber battle.
    5. Meng Yi vs. army. Serious bloodbath.
    6. Mordern Day Jackie vs. Taichi Professor. Even though it's modern period, Jackie isn't the using that funny monkey fighting stlye.

Out of the 6 major fight scenes, I only see 1 as the stupid monkey fight.

I like Jackie not because he is funny. I respect him simply because he knows martial arts and he is very good at it. Yes, its true that his movies are full of stunts and funny combats but thats not the point. Can an average martial artist easily do his stunts? Can anyone say for certain that Jackie can't fight for real?