Thread: "Divine Condor Hero" - Jin Yong's attempt to create a wuxia version of a superhero?

Default "Divine Condor Hero" - Jin Yong's attempt to create a wuxia version of a superhero?

Wuxia heroes such as Kiu Fung or Chor Lau Heung tend to follow somewhat different genre conventions than Western comic book superheroes such as Superman or Spider-Man. At first, Yeung Gor fit the mold of wuxia hero, but towards the end of ROCH, did the character begin to take on the aspects of a Western superhero?

Consider this:

1). Secret double identity: Check. "Divine Condor Hero" was Yeung Gor's alter-ego. He even wore a mask that concealed his identity (a la Batman, Spider-Man, and a whole host of superheroes).

2). Animal motif: Batman, Spider-Man...Condorman?

3). Sidekick: Batman has Robin; Yeung Gor had the Divine Condor

4). Special weapon: utility belt, flying surfboard, indestructible shield, mystic hammer, webshooters....Heavy Iron Sword?

5). Special superpower: Green Lantern power rings, Silver Surfer's Power Cosmic...the Sad Palms?

6). Secret cave headquarters: OK, Yeung Gor only visited the cave twice as far as we know, but still...

7). Outlaw status? Check.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jin Yong were reading a few superhero comics at around the time he penned the final chapters of ROCH.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    4). Special weapon: utility belt, flying surfboard, indestructible shield, mystic hammer, webshooters....Heavy Iron Sword?
    Ken? It's just a weapon... Although I gotta admit it's not an ordinary one.

5). Special superpower: Green Lantern power rings, Silver Surfer's Power Cosmic...the Sad Palms?
    Sad palms may be good, but it is definitely not that powerful as the way you are putting it.

Nice observation anyway..

i dunno if JY stole that crap from western comics, i know 1 thing for sure though, the new china addaption stole the f***** look from final fantasy to the core. OMG that YG look like Cloud from FF7, and the sword he was holding is like a replica. not saying it's bad, it's just funny when i 1st saw it. anime stuff are catching on like wild fire and they're really making money off it

but no, i don't think the relationship between JY's hero and western hero is as close as u describe. sometimes similar ideas are develop at the same time in different parts of the world, i think this is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110
    i dunno if JY stole that crap from western comics, i know 1 thing for sure though, the new china addaption stole the f***** look from final fantasy to the core. OMG that YG look like Cloud from FF7, and the sword he was holding is like a replica. not saying it's bad, it's just funny when i 1st saw it. anime stuff are catching on like wild fire and they're really making money off it

but no, i don't think the relationship between JY's hero and western hero is as close as u describe. sometimes similar ideas are develop at the same time in different parts of the world, i think this is one of them.
    Really? No wonder that sword YG was holding look so comic

No wonder the new ROCH looks so comical.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    No wonder the new ROCH looks so comical.
    I thought ALL adaptations look comic. With the exception of maybe Linked Cities, something many people here have a liking for it yet I have yet to watch..

EDIT: Fine. Edited.

EDIT2: You must be nuts to find the ROCH 06 version comical.
    Last edited by Pacifian; 08-26-06 at 05:36 AM.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=comical

com‧i‧cal  /ˈkɒmɪkəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kom-i-kuhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –adjective
    1. producing laughter; amusing; funny: a comical fellow.
    2. Obsolete. pertaining to or of the nature of comedy.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110

China is RACIST! It's supposed to be BLACK, but nooooo, they can't have black invincibility can they? And it is supposed to be slightly shorter than a normal sword and not much wider... Look at that FF7 Ragnarok replica. Sickening.

*Sarcasm for some of them BTW...
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.