Page 18 of 77 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast

Thread: Demi-God Semi-Devils

I remember cursing at DY and wanting to kick his butt when I read this part of the novel (actually, wanted to throttle him since chapter 1, but it got worse here).

Qiao Feng is needed to save this novel. Just a bit more!
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

If Zhu Danchen himself had been here and heard these words, he would have admired this girl from the depths of his heart [...] If another famous martial arts expert, such as Duan Yu’s uncle, Duan Zhengming, or his father, Duan Zhengchun, they would have been astonished as well
    For some reason, I find Jin Yong's "If..." praises exciting and lovable
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Reading this section of DY really pisses me off.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    Reading this section of DY really pisses me off.
    Now imagine how I feel TRANSLATING the f***ing thing

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    Qiao Feng is needed to save this novel. Just a bit more!
    It's the only thing keeping me going...
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

actually DuanYu is a funny character who is always happy and childish....but people enjoy his jibbering ...

thanks a lot ren...

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    For some reason, I find Jin Yong's "If..." praises exciting and lovable
    Yes, it is only exceeded by his use of 'Even If'....

Wang Yuyan became all the more bashful. She hurriedly said, “How…how could I do that? I am a prim and proper maiden. How could I bring up these…these poems and songs, and have my cousin look down upon me?”

Duan Yu let out a long breath, then said, “Absolutely, you are absolutely right.” In his heart, he cursed at himself, “Duan Yu, you bastard, you really aren’t an upright and honest gentleman.”

Wang Yuyan had never revealed these thoughts of hers to anyone else. She kept them in her heart, examining and re-examining them many times over by herself. Today, by chance, she ran into a fellow like Duan Yu, who was naturally easygoing and unrestrained in temperament. For some reason, she felt that he was very trustworthy and divulged to him all of the tender and soft feelings she had towards Murong Fu. Actually, the likes of Ah Zhu, Ah Bi, and even Xiaocha, Xiaoming, and Youcao all naturally knew that she was secretly in love with her cousin. It was just that none of them spoke aloud regarding it. After talking for so long, the gloomy feeling in her heart dissipated slightly. She said, “I digressed a lot in our conversation, and we didn’t get to the main topic. Why, exactly, is Shaolin making things difficult for my cousin?”

Knowing that he was unable to dodge the question any longer, Duan Yu said, “The abbot of Shaolin is known as master Xuanci. He has a junior martial-brother named Xuanbei. Master Xuanbei is most proficient at using the ‘Veda Sceptre’ style.” Wang Yuyan nodded. “That is the forty-eighth fighting style amongst Shaolin’s 72 Ultimate Techniques. Within the style, there are only a total of nineteen individual stances, but all of them are very fearsome and overpowering when executed.”

Duan Yu continued, “When master Xuanbei came to Dali, he was somehow killed by someone within the Shenjie monastery in Dali’s Luliang prefecture. Moreover, the technique which the killer used against him was the technique which master Xuanbei himself was famous for; the ‘Veda Sceptre’ technique. They said that only Gusu’s Murong family harms others in such a manner, which they called ‘using the opponent’s skills, exercising them upon the opponent.’” Wang Yuyan nodded. “That’s not unreasonable.”

Duan Yu said, “Aside from Shaolin, there are others who also are seeking revenge upon the Murong lineage.” Wang Yuyan said, “Who else?” Duan Yu said, “Within the Hidden Ox sect, there was a man named Ke Baisui who specialized in a technique known as the ‘Thousand Ruptures on the Soul of Heaven’.” Wang Yuyan said, “Oh! That is the fourth variation of the ninth stance of the Hidden Ox sect’s ‘Ever-Victorious Soft Whip’ technique. Although the technique is extremely strange, it can’t really considered a top-tier martial arts technique; all that can be said in its favor is that the force it unleashes is extremely hard and fierce.” Duan Yu said, “This person was killed by the ‘Thousand Ruptures on the Soul of Heaven’ technique. His martial-brother and his apprentice are naturally seeking revenge upon the Murong family.”

Wang Yuyan mumbled to herself, “It’s possible that my cousin killed Ke Baisui, but he definitely did not kill Xuanbei. My cousin doesn’t know the ‘Veda Sceptre’ technique. It is extremely difficult to learn. But if you ever meet my cousin, don’t tell him that he doesn’t know this technique, and definitely don’t tell him that I told you so. Otherwise, he’ll fly into a rage.”

Just as they spoke to this point, the sound of two pairs of feet rushing towards them could be heard. It was Xiaoming and Youcao.

There was look of dread on Youcao’s face. Totally flustered, she said, “Miss, bad…bad news! The madame ordered that Ah Zhu and Ah Bi…” Her voice choked, and for the moment she couldn’t say anything. Xiaoming stepped in, “That their right hands be chopped off, to punish them for their offense of arrogantly barging into the Highland Manor of the Camellias. She also said that if she ever sees them again, she’ll immediately have their heads chopped off. What…what are we to do?”

Duan Yu hurriedly said, “Miss Wang, quick, you’ve got to think of a way to rescue them!”

Wang Yuyan was very anxious as well. Knitting her eyebrows, she said, “Ah Zhu and Ah Bi are my cousin’s trusted servants. If I allow them to be crippled, how can I face my cousin? Youcao, where are they?” Youcao, Ah Zhu, and Ah Bi were extremely good friends. Hearing that Wang Yuyan seemed inclined towards helping them, she felt a ray of hope. She hurriedly said, “The madame ordered that the two of them be taken to the ‘Flower Fertilizer Shed’. I begged granny Yan to delay the execution of the sentence by an hour. If you go beg the madame immediately, there’s still a chance.” Wang Yuyan thought to herself, “Most likely, begging my mother to show mercy is useless. But except for this, there are no other options.” She immediately nodded, then left with Youcao and Xiaoming.

Watching her slim and graceful back disappear, Duan Yu wanted to run after her and say a few more words to her. But after taking a single step, he felt as though he had no words to say. As he stood there, stupefied, he began to reminisce about the conversation he just had with her. He couldn’t help but go crazy over it.

Wang Yuyan walked swiftly to the main rooms. Seeing her mother reclining on a bed, lost in a trance while staring at a camellia painting that was hanging on the wall, she called out, “Mother!”

Madame Wang slowly turned her head. A grim expression was on her face. “What do you want to talk to me about? If it has to do with the Murong family, I don’t want to hear it.” Wang Yuyan said, “Mother, Ah Zhu and Ah Bi didn’t come here on purpose this time. Can’t you let them off the hook, just this once?” Madame Wang said, “How do you know they didn’t come here on purpose? Are you afraid that if I chop their hands off, your cousin will never speak to you ever again?” Tears began to gather in Wang Yuyan’s eyes. “My cousin is your nephew. Why…why must you hate him so much? Even if my aunt offended you, you don’t need to resent my cousin.” She had summoned up all her courage to say these words, but as soon as she did, her heart began thumping wildly in her chest. Even she herself was shocked at how daring she had been in directly contradicting her mother.

Frozen lightning was in Madame Wang’s eyes. She swept her gaze across her daughter’s face a few times, but did not immediately respond. Following this, she closed her eyes. Wang Yuyan didn’t dare to so much as take a loud breath, unsure as to just what exactly her mother was planning.

After a long time, Madame Wang opened her eyes. She said, “How do you know that your aunt offended me? How did she offend me?” Hearing how icy her mother’s tone was, Wang Yuyan was so frightened that she couldn’t even speak. Madame Wang said, “Go ahead and tell me. You are growing older, and no longer need to obey me anyhow.” Both angry and anxious, Wang Yuyan began to cry. “Mother, for you…for you to hate her family so much, she must have offended you somehow. But you never told me how she offended you. Now that she’s passed away, you…you don’t need to cling to your hatred of her.” Madame Wang snapped at her, “Have you heard anyone talk about this?” Wang Yuyan shook her head. “You never allow me to leave, nor do you allow outsiders to come. Who would talk to me about this?”

Madame Wang let out a quiet sigh. Her tense, taut face immediately loosened, and the tone of her voice became gentle as well. She said, “I do this for your own good. There are too many bad people in the outside world, each of whom kills more than the next. It’s best for a young lady like you to not meet with bad people.” As she said this, she suddenly thought of something and added, “The new gardener who is surnamed Duan is very glib and very sly. He’s not a good person. If he says so much as a single sentence to you, immediately order the servant girls to kill him. Don’t allow him to say a second sentence. Understood?” Wang Yuyan thought to herself, “What’s this about one sentence or two sentences? We’ve probably talked for more than one hundred or two hundred sentences!”

Madame Wang said, “What is it? Look at how soft-hearted and gentle you are; the gods only know how much suffering you will have to endure in your life because of it.” She clapped twice and Xiaoming entered. Madame Wang said, “Pass the word down. If anyone talks to the gardener surnamed Duan, both of their tongues will be cut out.” Xiaoming looked stupefied. Madame Wang’s attitude seemed to be that of one who was ordering a chicken or a dog to be slaughtered. She replied, “Yes!” She hurriedly retreated. Madame Wang waved a hand towards her daughter. “You leave as well!”

Wang Yuyan replied, “Yes.” As she passed through the doorway, she turned her head and said, “Mother, please show mercy to Ah Zhu and Ah Bi, and just order them to never come here again, under any circumstances.” Madame Wang said coldly, “How often do I go back on my word? No matter what you say, I won’t change my mind.”

Madame Wang clenched her teeth. In a low voice, she said, “I know why you hate auntie and why you dislike my cousin.” With a few quiet steps, she hurriedly exited.

Madame Wang said, “Get back!” These words were particularly loud or clear, but were filled with an awe-inspiring dignity. Wang Yuyan returned to the room, head lowered and silent. Madame Wang stared at the quivering lines of blue smoke rising from the incense-burners in the room. In a low voice, she said, “Yan’er, what do you know? No need to lie to me. It’s best if you just say everything.” Wang Yuyan bit her lower lip. “Auntie blamed you for killing people indiscriminately, to the point where you offended the local government authorities as well as created many vendettas with people of the martial world.”

Madame Wang said, “Correct. These are the affairs of the Wang family. What did they have to do with her Murong family? She was nothing more than your father’s elder sister. What authority did she have to try and govern me? Hmph, over the past few hundred years, the only thing the Murong family has done is dream about ‘restoring the Yan dynasty’. All they can think about is uniting the heroes of the world under their banner. They fawn on people and try to make alliances. Heh heh, and now, they’ve even offended both the Beggar’s Clan and Shaolin.”

Wang Yuyan said, “Mother, my cousin definitely did not kill master Xuanbei of Shaolin. He doesn’t know how to use…” But just as she was about to say ‘the Veda Sceptre technique’, she hurriedly paused. As soon as her mother found out where she had heard those words from, it would be almost impossible for Duan Yu to escape death. Instead, she said, “…I’m afraid his martial arts level isn’t good enough.”

Madame Wang said, “True. Right now, he went to pay a visit to Shaolin. Those blabbermouth servant girls naturally have already told you this. ‘Nothern Qiao Feng, Southern Murong.’ This saying is really famous and resounding. But can one Murong Fu, plus a Deng Baichun, really get any good results from this trip to Shaolin by themselves? He really doesn’t know his own limits!” Wang Yuyan took a few steps forward. In a supplicating voice, she said, “Mother, can you please think of a way to rescue him? Can you send some people to go give him a helping hand? He…he’s the last descendant of the Murong lineage. If something bad happens to him, the Murong family line will come to an end and their lineage be extinct.” Madame Wang sneered, “Gusu’s Murong family. Hmph. What does the Murong family has to do with me? Your auntie claimed that her Murong family’s ‘Water Pavilion of Bestowal and Repayment’ is superior to our ‘Jade Cavern Library’. Fine. Then let her precious son, Murong Fu, go to Shaolin and display his power and might.” With a wave of her hand, she said, “Leave, leave!” Madame Wang said, “Mother, my cousin…” Madame Wang snapped, “You grow more and more impudent!”

Tears glistened in Wang Yuyan’s eyes. Lowering her head, she left. Her mind was running wild and she had no idea what to do. As she walked to a porch in the west wing of the house, she heard someone say in a low voice, “Miss, what’s wrong?” Wang Yuyan raised her head. It was Duan Yu. She hurriedly said, “You…don’t talk to me!”

After Wang Yuyan had left earlier, Duan Yu had stood there in a daze for a while before slowly following her footstep in a befuddled way. He waited for her from a distance. After seeing her come out from Madame Wang’s room, he couldn’t prevent himself from following her. Seeing a grieved expression on Wang Yuyan’s face, he knew that Madame Wang did not agree to her request. He said, “Even if the madame did not agree, we still need to think of something.” Wang Yuyan replied, “If mother doesn’t agree, what’s the point of coming up with any ideas? She…she…she…my cousin is in a very dangerous situation, but she intends to fold her hands in her sleeves and ignore him.” The more she spoke, the more miserable she felt, until she couldn’t help but once more begin to shed tears.

Duan Yu replied, “Right, young master Murong really is in a lot of trouble…” He suddenly thought of something and asked, “You know so much about martial arts. Why don’t you go yourself and help him out?” Wang Yuyan opened her dark, liquid eyes, and stared at him as though this was the most bizarre idea in the entire world. After a long time, she said, “I…I understand martial arts, but don’t practice them. Besides, how could I go? Mother definitely wouldn’t allow it.” Duan Yu smiled. “Your mother naturally won’t let you go, but aren’t you able to sneak out by yourself? I once left home by myself once. Afterwards, when I came back home, my mother and father didn’t scold me too harshly.”

After hearing these words, Wang Yuyan suddenly saw the light. Her eyes brightened, and she thought to herself, “Right! If I sneak out to go help my cousin, even if mother severely punishes me when I return, it’s no big deal. Even if she wants to kill me, I’ll have already helped my cousin.” When she thought about having the chance to undergo trials and tribulations on behalf of her cousin, her heart was filled with both misery and sweetness. Then she thought, “This person said he secretly ran away before. Hm, right, why didn’t I ever think of anything like this?” Duan Yu, sneaking glances at her, saw that she seemed to be half-convinced. He immediately exerted all his effort to convince her. He said, “You always stay here, within the Highland Manor of the Camellias. Don’t you want to check out the dazzling outside world and see its myriad temptations?”

Wang Yuyan shook her head. “What does it have worth checking? I’m just worried about my cousin. But I’ve never practiced martial arts. If he really meets up with any problems, I won’t be able to help.” Duan Yu replied, “Why wouldn’t you be of help? You’d be of tremendous help! When your cousin is fighting others, you can give watch and give him a few words of advice from the sidelines. This is known as ‘the bystander sees most clearly’. When someone else was playing a game of chess and about to lose, I gave him some advice from the sidelines and he immediately managed a complete comeback. This just happened very recently.” Wang Yuyan felt he made a lot of sense, but wasn’t able to summon up enough courage. She hesitantly said, “I’ve never been away from home. I don’t even know if Shaolin is to the east or to the west.”

Duan Yu immediately jumped at the opportunity. “I’ll accompany you. If any problems arise on the road, just let me deal with them.” He naturally didn’t bring up the point that his own experience in the martial world was brilliantly shallow.

Wang Yuyan furrowed her eyebrows. Inclining her head to one side, she mumbled to herself indecisively. Duan Yu asked, “What’s happening with Ah Zhu and Ah Bi?” Wang Yuyan said, “Mother won’t let them off.” Duan Yu said, “In for a penny, in for a pound! [Lit. ‘Either don’t act at all, or don’t stop once you do!’] If Ah Zhu and Ah Bi have their right hands chopped off, your cousin will definitely blame you. Why don’t we go rescue them, then the two of us will immediately set off.” Wang Yuyan stuck out her tongue. “How can my mother possibly forgive such an enormous outrage? You really have way too much courage!”

Duan Yu knew very well that right now that nothing could move her mind aside from her cousin. He immediately used the tactic of retreating to seize an advantage. He said, “If that’s the case, then let’s go immediately and just let your mother chop off Ah Zhu and Ah Bi’s hands. In the future, when your cousin asks you about it, you can just deny knowing about it. I definitely won’t divulge the secret.”

Wang Yuyan hurriedly said, “How can I do that? Isn’t that lying to him?” She felt very hesitant. “Alas! Ah Zhu and Ah Bi are his two trusted servants. If anything bad were to happen to them, the grudge between the Murong family and my Wang family will only grow all the more deep.” Stamping her left foot, she said, “You, come with me.”

Hearing the four words ‘You, come with me’, Duan Yu was so happy he could have died at that moment with no complaints. In his entire life, he’d never heard four more beautiful words. Seeing that she was walking towards the northwest, he followed her from behind.

In a short amount of time, they arrived outside of a large stone room. Wang Yuyan said, “Granny Yan, please come out. I want to talk to you.”

A strange laughter emanated from the stone room. A shriveled, dry voice said, “My dear young miss, have you come to see how granny makes flower fertilizer?”

Earlier, Duan Yu had heard Youcao and Xiaoming say that Ah Zhu and Ah Bi had been taken to the ‘Flower Fertilizer Shed’. Then, he hadn’t really paid it too much mind. Now, upon hearing this extremely sinister voice say the words, ‘flower fertilizer’, his heart froze. “What is the ‘Flower Fertilizer Shed’? Is it where fertilizer for the flowers is kept? Damn, right, Madame Wang is incomparably ruthless. She buries people alive and uses them as fertilizer for her flowers. If we came too late, Ah Zhu and Ah Bi’s right hands will have already been chopped off and turned into fertilizer. What will we do then?” His heart thumped frantically, and all the blood disappeared from his face.

Wang Yuyan said, “Granny Yan, my mother has something to discuss with you. Please come out.” The woman in the stone room said, “I’m busy. What pressing business does the madame have, that she sends you to personally come tell me?” Wang Yuyan said, “My mother said…hey, are they here yet?”

As she spoke, she entered the stone room. She saw that Ah Zhu and Ah Bi were bound against two iron pillars. Something was jammed into their mouths, preventing them from saying anything despite their eyes being filled with tears. Duan Yu glanced inside as well. Seeing that Ah Zhu and Ah Bi were not yet harmed, he felt half-relieved. After glancing around the rest of the shed, his heart, which had just barely began to calm down, began to beat wildly again. An old lady with a crooked back who was holding a long, bright, and gleaming sabre in her hands stood next to them. By their side was a boiling cauldron of water that was emitting steady streams of water vapour.

Wang Yuyan said, “Granny Yan, mother orders that they be released for now. There’s something important she wants to question them about first.”

Granny Yan turned around. Duan Yu saw that she had an extremely ugly face, filled with malice. She nodded. “Fine. After she’s done asking questions, escort them back and have their hands chopped off then.” She muttered to herself, “The thing which I, Granny Yan, hate seeing the most is pretty girls. These two girls must have a hand chopped off. Only then will they really be good looking. I’ll go talk to the madame; we should chop off both their hands. We’ve been running a bit low on fertilizer.” Duan Yu was furious. He thought to himself that this old woman was filled with evil and maliciousness. Who knows how many people she had already killed? If it weren’t for the fact that he didn’t have the strength to truss up a chicken, he would have given her a few strong blows to her mouth and knock two or three of her teeth out before freeing Ah Zhu and Ah Bi.

Although Granny Yan was getting on in years, her ears remained sharp. She immediately heard the sound of Duan Yu’s harsh breathing and asked, “Who is outside?” Sticking her head outside, she saw Duan Yu. She fiercely asked, “Who are you?” Duan Yu laughed, “I’m the person who the madame ordered to be her gardener. Granny Yan, might I ask if you have any fresh fertilizer for me?” Granny Yan replied, “Wait a short while. We’ll have some soon.” Turning her head, she said, “Miss, your cousin likes these two girls very much, doesn’t he?”

Wang Yuyan said, “Yes. It’s best for you not to hurt them.” Granny Yan nodded. “Miss, isn’t it true that the madame ordered that these two girls each have their right hands be chopped off and be expelled from the manor, and also told them that if she ever sees them again, she’ll chop their heads off?” Wang Yuyan said, “Yes.” As soon as she said this, she immediately knew something was wrong and hurriedly covered her mouth with her hands. Duan Yu secretly groaned bitterly. “Man. This young lady doesn’t even know how to tell a lie.”

Fortunately, it seemed as though Granny Yan was old and muddle-headed, not noticing this huge flaw in the story. She said, “Miss, this rope was tied very tightly. Come and help me untie it.”

Wang Yuyan said, “Alright!” Walking to Ah Zhu side, she reached out to untie the rope fastening her wrists. Suddenly, with a clanking sound, an arcing steel hoop shot out of the metal pillar, trapping her slender waist....
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 02-28-09 at 05:06 AM.

Duan Yu hurriedly said, “Miss Wang, quck, you’ve got to think of a way to rescue them!”

EDIT: quick, not quck or quack.

Although it would be funny for WYY to be called quack.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Fixed. Thanks.

A trap? Perhaps there's a special way to release them that WYY should have known if Madame Wang really told her to do that?

Wang Yuyan let out a startled cry. Although there was a few inches of free space between her waist and the hoop, there was no way she would be able to escape.

Shocked, Duan Yu rushed into the room. He shouted, “What are you doing? Free the young lady!”

Granny Yan let out a series of strange, grumbling laughs. “Since the madame already said that if she ever saw these girls again, she would chop off their heads, why would she summon them to ask them questions? The madame has so many servants; why does she need to send you to come personally? There are a lot of irregularities here. Miss, wait here a while. Let me personally go ask the madame, and then we’ll see.”

Wang Yuyan angrily said, “What on earth do you think you’re doing? Let me go immediately!” Granny Yan said, “Miss, I am totally devoted and loyal to the madame. I don’t dare to do anything wrong. Old Mrs. Murong truly was far too impolite to the madame. She made a lot of malicious remarks and slandered the madame’s stainless reputation. It isn’t only the madame who was angry; even us servants hate her to the bone. That day, all the madame had to do was nod and we would have dug a tomb for her, then dragged her corpse to the ‘Flower Fertilizer Shed’ and turned her into ordinary fertilizer. Miss, let me tell you this. There isn’t a single good person in the Murong family. There’s no way the madame would have consented to spare these two girls. But since you gave me these orders, I am going to go to the madame and figure everything out. If things really are the way you say they are, I’ll come back and immediately kneel before you and apologize. You can just go ahead and use wooden rods to beat me in accordance with our household rules.” Want Yuyan was very worried. She said, “Hey, hey, don’t go ask the madame! My mother will be angry!”

Granny Yan harbored no more doubt in her heart, knowing that the young lady was certainly making mischief behind her mother’s back. In order to protect her cousin’s servants, she had transmitted false orders. She decided to seize the opportunity to win some merit. She said, “Excellent, excellent! Miss, wait here a bit. This old granny will be right back.” Wang Yuyan cried out, “Don’t leave! Free me first!” Granny Yan ignored her, quickly leaving the stone room.

Seeing the situation had reached a critical point, Duan Yu stretched out both his hands, blocking her way. Laughing, he said, “Wouldn’t it be better if you released her, then went to speak with the madame? You are a servant, after all. In the long run, it does you no good to offend the young miss.”

Narrowing her eyes, Granny Yan inclined her head to one side before saying, “You are behaving very inappropriately, you little punk.” With a flip of her hand, she seized Duan Yu by the wrist, then dragged him next to the metal pillar as well. She activated the pillar, and with a clanking sound, it shot out another metal hoop which settled around Duan Yu’s waist as well. Panic-stricken, Duan Yu stretched his hand out and grabbed her by the wrists, refusing to let go no matter what.

As soon as she was seized by him, Granny Yan felt as though her internal energy was continuously flowing out of her in a steady stream. She felt unspeakably uncomfortable, and angrily shouted, “Let go!” But as exerted her energy to shout loudly, her internal energy began to flow out of her more quickly. She struggled ferociously, but was unable to free herself from Duan Yu’s grip. Shocked, she said, “Little bastard…what are you doing? Let go of me now!”

Duan Yu was directly facing her hideous face, with only a few inches separating them. With his back forced against the metal pillar, there was no way for him to lean his head backwards. Seeing that her filthy yellow teeth looked as though they were about to bite his throat out, he was both terrified and nauseated. But he knew that at this critical moment, if he released her, not only would Wang Yuyan receive a heavy punishment, but he himself along with Ah Zhu and Ah Bi would be unable to keep their lives. All he could do was shut his eyes and not look at her.

Granny Yan said, “You…are you going to let go or not?” Her voice was already weak. Originally, Duan Yu fully absorbed the internal energy of the seven disciples of Mt. Wuliang’s Sword sect, then drained a portion of the internal energy of many high-calibre martial artists. With his internal energy having grown more powerful, the suctioning power of the Divine Art of the Northern Darkness grew greater as well. At this point, draining Granny Yan’s internal energy took but a short amount of time. Although Granny Yan appeared to be very ferocious, her actual internal energy reserves was limited. In less than the time it would take to drink a cup of tea, she was totally worn out and looked exhausted. All she could do was gasp out, “Let…go of me, let…let…let go.”

Duan Yu replied, “First, activate the mechanism to release me.” Granny Yan said, “Yes, yes!” Squatting down, she stretched out her right hand to activate a mechanism that was hidden underneath the nearby table. With a cracking sound, the metal hoop which had encircled Duan Yu’s waist retracted. Pointing at Wang Yuyan, Ah Zhu, and Ah Bi, Duan Yu ordered that they be immediately released as well.

Granny Yan tugged at the mechanism which controlled Wang Yuyan’s metal hoop, but even after some time passed, it refused to move. Duan Yu angrily said, “Why aren’t you releasing the young miss immediately?” Granny Yan frowned, “I…I don’t have any energy left in me at all.”

Stretching his own hand out, Duan Yu felt for the mechanism underneath the table. Finding it, he tugged on it, and with a clanking sound, the metal hoop surrounding Wang Yuyan slowly retracted into the pillar. Duan Yu was elated, but still did not yet dare to release Granny Yan from his hold. Picking up the long sabre which had fallen to the floor, he sawed through the ropes which bound Ah Bi.

After being released, Ah Bi took the sabre away from him and cut away the ropes binding Ah Zhu. They were both startled and elated, and removed the rough walnuts from their mouths. For the moment, they remained speechless.

Wang Yuyan glanced at Duan Yu a few times, a look of surprise on her face, mixed with some disdain. “How is it that you know the Great Art of Energy Dissipation? Why would you learn such a filthy technique?”

Duan Yu shook his head. “This isn’t the Great Art of Energy Dissipation.” He decided that not only was there no time to explain everything clearly, even if he did she might not believe him. It would be best just to make something up. He said, “This is a technique of Dali’s Duan family, which is known as the ‘Six Suns Melting the Snow’ technique. It’s derived from a combination of the ‘Solitary Solar Finger’ and the ‘Divine Sword of the Six Meridians’. It is orthodox where the Great Art of Energy Dissipation is heretical, and benevolent where the latter is vile. The two can’t be mentioned in the same sentence.”

Wang Yuyan immediately believed him. Smiling sweetly, she said, “Please forgive me for my ignorance. I’ve long heard of Dali’s ‘Solitary Solar Finger’ and the ‘Divine Sword of the Six Meridians’, but this is the first time I have heard of your ‘Six Suns Melting the Snow’ technique. In the future, I’ll have to ask you to explain it to me.”

Duan Yu, hearing that this beautiful woman was willing to hear him explain the technique to her, was absolutely delighted. He hurriedly said, “Miss, all you have to do is ask, and I naturally will explain everything to you, without daring to hide anything.”

Ah Zhu and Ah Bi, in their wildest imaginings, wouldn’t have dreamed that Duan Yu would be able to rush here to save them at this most critical of moments. Now, seeing him chat so amiably with the young miss, they were even more astonished. Ah Zhu said, “Young gentleman Duan, miss, thank you both of rescuing us. We need to take this Granny Yan away with us, or else she might reveal what happened here.”

Granny Yan was terrified. She thought to herself that if she were to be taken away by these girls, she would have less than a ten percent chance of survival at best. She cried out, “Miss, miss! The old mistress of the Murong family accused the madame of having a secret lover, and said that you…” Ah Zhu pinched her cheeks with her left hand, then shoved the walnuts which she had just spat out into Granny Yan’s own mouth.

Duan Yu laughed. “Brilliant! This is the signature trait of the Murong family, well-known as ‘using the opponent’s technique, exercising it upon the opponent.’” Wang Yuyan said, “I’m coming with you. I’m going to see how he…” As she spoke, her entire face reddened, and she said in a low voice, “See how he…how he is doing.” She had been irresolute previously, but the unexpected events which had just occurred helped her make her up mind. Ah Zhu happily said, “Miss, if you are willing to help out, that would be wonderful. In that case, there’s no need to take Granny Yan with us.” The two girls dragged Granny Yan next to the metal pillar, activated the mechanism, and trapped her with the steel hoop. The four of them quietly left the stone room, quickly moving towards the lakeside.

Fortunately, they didn’t encounter any servants on their way. The four of them got onto the boat which Ah Zhu and Ah Bi had rowed over here and immediately began to row towards the middle of the lake. Ah Zhu, Ah Bi, and Duan Yu all rowed simultaneously. It wasn’t until they could no longer see so much as the slightest shadow of the Highland Manor of the Camellias that they slightly relaxed. But, afraid that Madame Wang might pursue them in her fast ship, they did not stop rowing.

After they rowed for a long time, the sun began to set and the misty water vapour began to thicken and settle across the face of the lake. Ah Zhu said, “Miss, we’re relatively close to the place where we servants live. Tonight, we’ll have to ask that you settle for the inconvenience of temporarily staying here for a night. Then, we’ll discuss what’s the best way for finding the young master. Is that alright?” Wang Yuyan said, “Alright, we’ll do things your way.” The farther they were from the Highland Manor of the Camellias, the more taciturn she grew.

Duan Yu watched her dress be gently fluttered by the clean lake wind. It was dusk, and there was a slight chill in the air. Suddenly, a dreary, desolate feeling entered his heart. The earlier joyfulness of their escape gradually faded away.

After they rowed for another long period of time, it was so dark that he could not see anybody’s eyes or nose clearly. Towards the eastern horizon, bright lights and lit lamps could be seen. Ah Bi said, “That place over there with the bright lights is sister Ah Zhu’s ‘Waterside Pavilion of Fragrant Sounds’.” They began to row the boat in that direction. Duan Yu suddenly thought to himself, “In this lifetime, I’m afraid that I will never experience the emotions of tonight a second time. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if this small boat would never be able to reach those lights?” Suddenly, a bright light appeared in the sky. A bright comet with a long tail streaked across the heavens.

Wang Yuyan whispered a few soft words which Duan Yu couldn’t quite make out. In the middle of the darkness, he could only hear the sound of her sigh. Ah Bi said in a soft voice, “Miss, don’t worry. All his life, the young master has turned bad luck into good fortune. He’s never met with any real calamity.” Wang Yuyan said, “Shaolin has been famous for hundreds of years. This isn’t a trivial matter at all. I can only hope that the eminent monks within the monastery will listen to reason and are willing to allow my cousin to explain. I’m just afraid…afraid that my cousin has a bad temper, and begins to get into a verbal battle with the monks of Shaolin, alas…” She paused for a moment, then quietly said, “Every time a meteor flashes across the sky, I’m never able to complete my wish.”

There is a traditional belief in the Jiangnan that whenever a shooting star streaks across the sky, if a person manages to make a wish before the shooting star disappears, anything they ask for, no matter how difficult it is to accomplish, will come to pass in a satisfactory manner. But shooting stars always disappear very quickly. Oftentimes before the wish-maker has finished saying but a few words, the shooting star will have already disappeared. Over the course of centuries, it is unknown as to how many young men and women have placed their hopes and dreams on shooting stars, and how many have been disappointed. Although Wang Yuyan had a very deep understanding of martial arts, she still possessed the sentiments and feelings of a young person. In this, there was very little difference between her and the young daughters of farmers and peasants who lived on the lake.

Upon hearing her words, Duan Yu felt a fresh stab of pain in his heart. He clearly knew that the wish she wanted to make had to do with young master Murong, and that she was certainly wishing for him to be safe and unharmed, and that he would accomplish all his goals. Staring at his feet, he thought to himself, “In the whole wide world, what girl would be like Wang Yuyan and secretly make wishes on my behalf? Sister Wan once deeply loved me, but now that she knows I am her elder brother, she surely views me in a different light. I wonder where she is now? Has she met up with a husband-and-lord who pleases her? And what of Zhong Ling? Does she know that I am her elder brother by blood? Even if she doesn’t know, when she thinks of me, at most her heart will be moved at that moment. Shortly afterwards, she’ll have thrust the thought from her mind. She definitely wouldn’t be like how Wang Yuyan is right now, thinking of her beloved with an aching longing that penetrates her mind and which has settled into her very bones.”

CHAPTER END

Whew! Qiao Feng should be up soon; I can't wait!

Qiao Feng's entrance isn't that glorious. He was immediately declared "inferior" to Duan Yu in an important aspect of martial arts. We will see that soon.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

It's not the martial arts, it's the manliness quotient that needs to go up.

thanks a lot ren...cant wait to read QiaoFeng's entrance

DY actually a good person, but too soft and 'girly', like father like son, they are romantic, but if the father is an excellent playboy, DY is a dump playboy ....

Thanks Ren

Actually, I think the combination of QF's battle experience,martial art and tactics made him the best martial artist compared his sworn brothers. So, it is pointless to have a great martial art skill if you does not know how to ultilize it, that is what happening to DY now.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Qiao Feng's entrance isn't that glorious. He was immediately declared "inferior" to Duan Yu in an important aspect of martial arts. We will see that soon.
    Doesn't matter! Just like how JY likes to declare the superiority (cough*zhangsanfeng*cough) of certain characters while having them fall flat next, Qiao Feng gets into all sorts of declared disadvantage/danger/impossible situations but proceeds to kick 6 types of crap from the opponents colon next.

RWX! Bring on QIAO FENG now! Enough of this pansy camelia nonsense!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    It's not the martial arts, it's the manliness quotient that needs to go up.
    DITTO. i mean, i like duan yu & all (he's so happy & cheery), but he kind of reminds me of a hyper-active puppy - really cute, but good only in small doses.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    YES SIR! 拿酒来!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Doesn't matter! Just like how JY likes to declare the superiority (cough*zhangsanfeng*cough) of certain characters while having them fall flat next, Qiao Feng gets into all sorts of declared disadvantage/danger/impossible situations but proceeds to kick 6 types of crap from the opponents colon next.

this... we want some wam bam