Page 22 of 77 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272 ... LastLast

Thread: Demi-God Semi-Devils

I love this section. QF is simply too great for mere description, one simply has to read what he does to appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by aliderhamy View Post
    im guessing you dont have a brother... and if you do ur not very close ?

when there is a very close bond between guys of friendship and trust... there can be incredible amount of intimicy shared between them through a simple look.
    ah yes, the brotherly love...
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Awesome! I love the detail in the stories that QF tells. He definitely commands respect.

I must say, I always found the part where Qiao Feng tells the story about Feng Bo'e and the poop and the farmer to be one of the most boring parts of the novel. It just dragged on for a few paragraphs too long and did not in the least contain any shrewd of excitement. I'm surprised the crowd didn't fall asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I must say, I always found the part where Qiao Feng tells the story about Feng Bo'e and the poop and the farmer to be one of the most boring parts of the novel. It just dragged on for a few paragraphs too long and did not in the least contain any shrewd of excitement. I'm surprised the crowd didn't fall asleep.
    Even Jinyong himself wrote that it was 'unexpected' that the 'none of the beggars were bored'.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post

Tis' not so! Tis' not so! I found the way which JY brought in this plot device story to show QF's intelligence and Feng's oddball character most brilliant. It also sets the stage for one of the ladies' listening to start liking QF.

p.s. With this one single chapter, JY has redeemed himself from the earlier 10+ chapters of pansy DY crap! I can imagine the Ming Bao readers' surprise when they got to this part.
    Last edited by CC; 03-21-09 at 12:31 AM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Hi, just joining the forum. Thanks for the translation I enjoy it really much.
    Wow, to think that everyone here hates DY, it's not gonna be hard for you all to imagine how Murong Fu feels later on .
    Last edited by baka_tenshi; 03-21-09 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Even Jinyong himself wrote that it was 'unexpected' that the 'none of the beggars were bored'.
    Probably because Jin Yong wanted it to be a good story, so he freely wrote about how everyone enjoyed it. But I thought it was a bore.

Tis' not so! Tis' not so! I found the way which JY brought in this plot device story to show QF's intelligence and Feng's oddball character most brilliant. It also sets the stage for one of the ladies' listening to start liking QF.
    What intelligence?

I liked it and thought the same. Looks like you have more in common with DY than expected lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    I liked it and thought the same.
    Yep, looks I'm the minority on this one.

Looks like you have more in common with DY than expected lol.
    And what would the commonality be?

Well, DY wasn't actually bored but he was the only one not to be paying rapt attention.

Duan Yu looked at Wang Yuyan, Ah Zhu, and Ah Bi. He saw that all three of them were smiling, happily engrossed in Qiao Feng’s story. He thought to himself, “There has been an attempted revolution in the clan which is yet to be resolved. The situation is extremely critical, and yet elder brother is calmly and leisurely telling stories. It’s natural for Wang Yuyan and the girls to be interested in stories like this, but how could a heroic, bold man like elder brother show such a childish innocence as well?
    The implication is that he wasn't interested.

Ah yes........

OK, I now have a change of heart after reading the passage in whole from the novel. I must apologize for having pulled a "Ken Cheng" and was going by my impression from DGSD 1982, which had an awfully boring version of that scene (I thought anyway). But the passage in the novel is an enjoyable read.

Now I must question Feng Bo'e's martial arts. It seems embarrassing to me that he could not avoid a throw of poop by an ordinary farmer? The farmer actually managed to throw poop into Feng's mouth! From Qiao Feng's view, Feng did not let it happen intentionally.

Bai Shijing let out a sigh. “Elders Song, Xi, Chen, and Wu made the mistake of listening to the lies of others and conspired to rebel. They would have caused great damage to the clan. Their punishment is death by one knife. Quan Guanqing, the hall-master of the ‘Hall of Great Wisdom’, spread vicious rumors and created internal dissent. His punishment is death by nine knives. All other disciples who participated in this revolt bear responsibility for their offences as well. In the future, there will be an investigation and they shall each receive punishment.”

As he declared every person’s crime and punishment, no one spoke. In every single organization in the world, the penalty for plotting to overthrow the leader or betraying the organization was death. There was nothing strange about this at all. When the people present had participated in the plot, they knew of this possible outcome.

Wu Changfeng took large steps forward. Bowing to Qiao Feng, he said, “Chief, Wu Changfeng has wronged you! I hope you understand that I was foolish. After I die, please forgive me, Wu Changfeng!” As he spoke, he walkd to the knives of law and loudly said, “Wu Changfeng will take his own life. Law-enforcing disciples, release me from my bonds!” A law-enforcing disciple said, “Yes sir!” But as he went forward to cut Wu Changfeng loose, Qiao Feng shouted, “Wait!”

Wu Changfeng’s face immediately turned a deathly, ashen pale. With bated breath, he said, “Chief, is it that my sin is too great, and you will not allow me to take my own life?”

According to the rules of the Beggar’s Clan, if a person who had broken the laws of the clan took his own life, his reputation would be restored and spotless, and the crimes he had committed would not be revealed to anyone else. If anyone in the world insulted that person’s memory, the Beggar’s Clan would actually intervene on their departed comrade’s behalf. All of the heroes of the martial world greatly valued their reputation and were unwilling to allow it to be besmirched after their deaths. Wu Changfeng, seeing that Qiao Feng was not willing to allow him to take his own life, felt both shame and dread.

Qiao Feng did not immediately reply. He walked to the knives of law, then said, “Fifteen years ago, the country of Khitan invaded us via the Yanmen Pass [Wild Geese Pass]. After elder Song received this news, he rushed back to inform us of this critical military news. He did not eat for three days, and did not sleep for four nights. Enroute, he rode nine horses to their deaths. He himself was so exhausted that he sustained severe internal injuries and vomited blood. But with his news, our country, the Great Song, was prepared for the attack and the Khitaners were beaten back and forced to retreat. This was a major, meritorious deed which affected the entire country. Although the heroes of the martial world are not aware of the details of this event, we in the Beggar’s Clan are. Law-enforcing elder, I hope you will take into consideration the major contributions which elder Song have made and will allow him to atone for his crimes in some other fashion.

Bai Shijing replied, “Chief, it is reasonable for you to beg clemency on behalf of elder Song. But it is said thusly in our laws: ‘The great crime of betraying the clan cannot be pardoned. No matter how meritorious the offender’s past deeds, it cannot atone for this crime. This is so that those who have done great deeds will not become arrogant and overbearing and risk destroying our clan.’ Chief, your plea is not in keeping with the laws of our clan. We cannot breach the rules which the many successive chiefs of the past have laid down!”

Elder Song laughed sadly. He took two steps forward, then said, “The law-enforcing elder’s words are totally true. For us to become elders of the clan, we all naturally had to perform many great deeds of valor. If everyone excuses themselves by pointing to their past valors, then all sorts of crimes will be committed. Chief, please be merciful and allow me to take my own life.” With two cracking sounds, he shattered the cow sinew-strings which bound his wrists.

Looks of shock appeared on everyone’s face. The sinew-strings were both hard and tough. Even if a person were to chop at them using a steel sabre, it still might take a while to chop them apart. Elder Song was actually able to shatter them simply by lifting his hands up. He really lived up to his reputation as being one of the elders of the Beggar’s Clan. His hands now free, elder Song stretched them out to snatch a law knife in front of him so as to take his own life. Unexpectedly, a soft stream of energy gushed towards him. His hand was only a foot away from the knives, but he could no longer move his hand forward any further. Qiao Feng was refusing to allow him to withdraw the knife.

A grieved look on his face, elder Song called out, “Chief, you…” Qiao Feng stretched his hand out, pulled out the first knife on the left side. Elder Song said, “Forget it, forget it! I had the intention to kill you. It is just that I be punished! Go ahead and kill me!” The knife blade flashed across his eyes. With a puffing sound, Qiao Feng stabbed himself in his own shoulder with the knife.

All the beggars let out a loud cry. In unison, they all rose to their feet. Shocked, Duan Yu said, “Elder brother, you!” Even outsiders such as Wang Yuyan were so terrified by this unexpected development that their lovely features changed. The maidens cried out, “Chief Qiao, don’t…”

Qiao Feng said, “Elder Bai, within the regulations of our clan, there is this line: ‘When the disciples of our clan commit a crime and cannot be forgiven, if the chief wishes to pardon them, he must shed his own blood on their behalf to wash away their crimes.’ Am I right?”

Bai Shijing’s face was as rigid and hard as stone. Slowly, he said, “Within our regulations, there is such a line. But for the chief to shed his own blood to wash away their sins, he must consider whether or not it is worth it.”

Qiao Feng replied, “As long as I am not breaching the laws of our ancestors, I am happy.” Turning around, he said to elder Xi, “In the past, elder Xi instructed me in martial arts. Although he was not formally my master, he acted in that capacity. However, that is just an act of personal kindness to me. In the past, chief Wang was surrounded by five elite Khitan fighters and trapped within the ‘Cave of Sinister Wind’ of Mt. Qilian. The Khitaners intended to force our clan to surrender to them. Chief Wang was short and stout, and also looked something similar to elder Xi. Elder Xi disguised himself as chief Wang and went to die in his place. Only then did chief Wang manage to escape. This is a great deed which benefited both our clan and our country. I absolutely must pardon him for his crimes!” As he spoke, he pulled out a second knife of law. With a light swish, he cut apart the cow sinew-strings binding elder Xi’s wrists, then stabbed himself in the shoulder with this knife as well.

He slowly turned to walk towards elder Chen. Elder Chen had a very strange temperament. In the past, he had wronged his family clan, changed his name, and fled. He was always afraid that others would rip open this scar of his. He dreaded Qiao Feng’s intelligence, and thus always was distant towards Qiao Feng, not willing to become close friends. Now, seeing Qiao Feng turn his eyes towards him, he loudly said, “Chief Qiao, I don’t have much of a friendship with you. I offended you far too often in the past, and don’t dare ask for you to shed blood on my behalf.” Flipping his arms around, he suddenly brought his bound hands to the front. His skill in the ‘Arm Passing Through’ technique had reached the acme of perfection, and he was able to retract and advance his arms easily. As he squatted down, he snatched out and grabbed one of the knives.

Qiao Feng launched a backhanded attack and easily removed the weapon from his grasp. In a clear voice, he said, “Elder Chen! I, Qiao Feng, am a crude, boorish fellow. I don’t like to make friends with people who are cautious, conservative, and prudent. I also don’t like people who don’t drink, don’t laugh, or who are taciturn. This is just my natural disposition. I can’t change it. We have totally different personalities, making it difficult for us to avoid quarrelling. I didn’t like vice-chief Ma’s personality much either, and whenever I saw him, I would avoid him. I’d rather go and drink strong liquor or eat roast meat with low ranking, one-bagged or two-bagged brothers. Everyone knows this temperament of mine. But if you think that I wished to get rid of you or vice-chief Ma, then you are wrong, totally wrong! You and vice-chief Ma are experienced, prudent people who never drink. Those are good traits. I, Qiao Feng, cannot measure up to you!” And as he said this, he stabbed himself in the shoulder with this third knife, before continuing, “Outsiders don’t know who committed the great deed of killing Yelu Bulu, the deputy marshal of the left wing of the Khitan army, but can it be that I also don’t know?”

All the beggars immediately began to murmur and whisper in mingled shock and admiration. Many years ago, the Khitan nation carried out a major invasion of the Great Song, but many of their generals and leaders kept on being assassinated. Their leadership decapitated, they retreated without winning any victories and the Great Song managed to avoid a catastrophe. Amongst the generals who were killed was Yelu Bulu, the deputy marshal of the left wing of the army. Aside from the highest ranking members of the Beggar’s Clan, nobody was aware that elder Chen was the one who did this great deed.

Elder Chen, hearing Qiao Feng publicly advertise his great accomplishment, felt consoled. In a low voice, he said, “I, Chen Guyan, whose name is known throughout the world, am deeply moved by my chief’s great benevolence and virtue.”

The Beggar’s Clan had always secretly assisted the Great Song in fighting off its enemies, protecting the nation and defending its citizens. But in order to prevent the enemies from noticing them and focusing their efforts on destroying the Beggar’s Clan, the clan decided that regardless of whether or not their stratagems succeeded, they would not reveal what they had done to outsiders. They even kept the secrets from as many members of the Beggar’s Clan itself as possible. Chen Guyan had always acted arrogantly and rudely. He was older than Qiao Feng, had served in the clan longer, and thus usually was not especially meek or modest in front of him. All the beggars within the clan knew this. Now, seeing how the chief forgave him his crimes and shed blood in order to wash away his sins, all of the beggars present were moved.

Walking towards Wu Changfeng, Qiao Feng said, “Elder Wu, you once guarded the Yinchou Gorge by yourself, using nothing but your own strength to resist the experts of the Western Xia’s ‘League of Elites’ and prevented them from achieving their goal of assassinating the general of the Yang family, Yang Ye [The legend of Yang Ye and of the Yang family generals is a famous Chinese legend]. The ‘Golden Medal of Valor’ which Marshall Yang awarded him is in and of itself sufficient to pardon him of his crimes today. Take it out and display it to everyone!” Suddenly, Wu Changfeng’s face flushed, as he looked both embarrassed and uneasy. “That, uh…uh…” Qiao Feng said, “All of us present are your brothers. Elder Wu, if there’s anything problematic about my request, just go ahead and say it without worry.” Wu Changfeng replied, “About that golden medal of mine…well…to tell you the truth, chief, it…um…it…it disappeared.” Astonished, Qiao Feng said, “How did it disappear?”

Wu Changfeng said, “I lost it. Um…” After composing himself, he said in a loud voice, “One day, I really was craving some alcohol, but didn’t have any money on me. I sold the gold medal to a jewelry store.” Qiao Feng laughed uproariously. “Forthright and carefree! Only, I’m afraid that by doing so, you’ve wronged Marshall Yang a bit!” As he spoke, he pulled out a fourth knife. First, he used it to cut Wu Changfeng’s bonds. Then, he planted it in his left shoulder.

Wu Changfeng loudly shouted, “Chief, you have shown me great benevolence and mercy. From this day forth, Wu Changfeng’s life belongs to you. I’ll never listen to anyone who spreads rumors about you ever again!” Qiao Feng clapped him on the shoulder, then laughed, “We’re beggars. If we don’t have food to eat or wine to drink, we should go beg for some. There’s no need for us to sell gold medals.” Wu Changfeng laughed, “It’s easy to beg for food, but hard to beg for alcohol. Everyone always says, ‘Foul beggar, now that your stomach is full, you want alcohol to drink as well? How shameless! I won’t give you any, I won’t give you any!’”

All the beggars listening boomed with laughter. Plenty of beggars within the clan had begged for alcohol, only to be refused. In addition, now that Qiao Feng had pardoned the four elders of their crimes, everyone felt as though a great burden had been lifted from them. Now, everyone’s eyes turned to Quan Guanqing. They thought to themselves that he was the chief instigator and agitator of this plot to cause a revolt within the clan. No matter how magnanimous Qiao Feng was, there was no way he could pardon him.

Qiao Feng walkd to Quan Guanqing. He said, “Hall-master Quan, do you have anything to say?” Quan Guanqing replied, “I rebelled against you for the sake of the safety of our nation, the Great Song, and for the sake of preserving the Beggar’s Clan. Unfortunately, the people to whom I revealed your true history are all cowards who are afraid of death and aren’t willing to reveal themselves. Just go ahead and kill me!” Qiao Feng pondered for a bit, then said, “If there’s anything wrong with my history, go ahead and say it openly.” Quan Guanqing shook his head. “If I make empty accustations now, no one will believe me. It’s best if you just kill me now.”

Qiao Feng was filled with suspicion. He loudly said, “A real man says whatever is on his mind. Why hem and haw and refuse to speak when you want to? Quan Guanqing, a real man isn’t afraid of death, much less saying a few words.”

Quan Guanqing laughed bitterly. “Right. If one doesn’t even fear death, what does he have to fear? Qiao Feng, hurry up and kill me with a single chop. That way, I won’t have to stay alive and watch the Beggar’s Clan submit to the barbarians, or the beautiful mountains of the Great Song be annexed by foreigners.” Qiao Feng said, “Why would the Beggar’s Clan fall under the control of barbarians? Explain clearly!” Quan Guanqing replied, “No one will believe anything I say now. They’ll assume that I’m a coward who fears death and who made everything up. No matter what, I will die. Why should I leave behind a bad name?”

Bai Shijing loudly said, “Chief, this person is crafty and deceptive. He’s saying a bunch of garbage, hoping to convince you to spare his life as well. Law-enforcing disciples, take the knives of law and carry out the sentence!”

A law-enforcing disciple said, “Yes sir!” He stepped forward, pulling out a knife and walking towards Quan Guanqing.

Qiao Feng never let his gaze waver from Quan Guanqing. Qiao Feng only saw an aggrieved, angry look on his face, and did not see any crafty or deceptive signs. Nor did Qiao Feng see any fear or dread. He began to feel suspicious, and said to the law-enforcing disciple, “Give me the knife of law.” The law-enforcing disciple respectfully presented it to him with both hands.

Receiving the knife, Qiao Feng said, “Hall-master Quan, you say that you know my real history, and that it affects the safety of the Beggar’s Clan. And yet, you are afraid to reveal what you claim the truth is.” As he spoke, he wrapped up the knife into a bundle, placing the bundle within his clothes. “You have formented armed rebellion. It will be hard to pardon your crimes. However, I will temporarily grant a stay of execution. After the truth of the matter comes out, I will personally kill you. I, Qiao Feng, am not a fussy person who dithers and dickers. Now that I am determined to kill you, I’ll wager you won’t be able to escape me. Go away now, and leave behind your bags. From now on, you are no longer a member of the Beggar’s Clan.”

The phrase, ‘leave behind your bags’, carried with it the implicit meaning of expelling him from the Beggar’s Clan. Aside from brand new members of the Beggar’s Clan who had no formal duties at all, every person in the clan carried anywhere from one to nine cloth bags over their backs. The number of bags they carried signified the rank they held within the clan. When Quan Guanqing heard Qiao Feng order him to leave his bags behind, a murderous look filled his eyes. Turning around, he snatched one of the knives of law, inverted it, then pointed it towards his chest. Being expelled from one’s clan or sect is so humiliating that the depth of the shame is difficult to describe. It was often considered to be even more intolerable than being executed on the spot.

Qiao Feng coldly watched him, waiting to see if he would actually kill himself or not.

Quan Guanqing held the law knife with a steady arm, hand not shaking in the slightest. Turning his head, he stared at Qiao Feng. The two locked gazes. Instantly, everyone went silent and no noise could be heard at all within the apricot forest. Quan Quanging suddenly said, “Qiao Feng, you are so calm and self-possessed! Can it be that you really don’t know?” Qiao Feng said, “Know what?”

Quan Guanqing opened his mouth, but in the end, he said nothing. He slowly returned the knife of law to its original location, then just as slowly removed the bags from his back, reverently placing them on the floor.

This was, IMHO, the most heroic scene in all of Jinyong's novels. There's scenes I might like more (such as the three duels at Shaolin in XAJH), but without question, this is the most heroic of them.

Most heroic followed by the 3rd most tragic moment.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Most heroic followed by the 3rd most tragic moment.

Han Solo
    Which was somewhat compensated for by the introduction of THUNDERGOD in another moment of JY's literal brilliance. (and the entrance of IMPARTIAL JUDGE and other entertaining personalities)

p.s. You can tell its a brilliant scene when non of the TV-series directors dared to mess around much with it.
    Last edited by CC; 03-21-09 at 11:21 PM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Which was somewhat compensated for by the introduction of THUNDERGOD in another moment of JY's literal brilliance. (and the entrance of IMPARTIAL JUDGE and other entertaining personalities)
    Ah yes, the soon-to-be-translated introductions of IMPARTIAL JUDGE Shan Zheng, Zhao Qiansun, Grandfather Tan, Granny Tan, and "THUNDERGOD" Elder Xu Chongxiao--all in one chapter, is almost too awesome to bear.

click to show/hide spoilers
    Too bad none of them lasted long.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post

p.s. You can tell its a brilliant scene when non of the TV-series directors dared to mess around much with it.
    Courtroom drama combined with wuxia heroism, and no budget needed to make it work. What's not to love?

Thanks. With Fox's HSDS translation drawing to a close, it's nice to still have something to look forward to reading here.