Page 24 of 77 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474 ... LastLast

Thread: Demi-God Semi-Devils

Just as Quan Guanqing removed his fifth bag, the sound of galloping hoofsteps could be heard as a horse charged towards them from the north, followed by two whistles. The beggars on sentry whistled in report as the horses grew nearer and nearer. Wu Changfeng mumbled to himself, “What sort of critical event has happened?” Before the horse from the north had arrived, the sound of another horse could be heard from the east. Only, it was farther away and its hoofsteps were indistinct. No one could tell in which direction it was headed.

In a short period of time, the horse from the north arrived at the outskirts of the apricot forest. A man leapt off the back of the horse and ran into the forest. He wore an extremely magnificent wide-sleeved gown, which he hurriedly shucked off and threw away, revealing a tattered uniform of the Beggar’s Clan. Duan Yu only had to think about it for a moment, before immediately understanding: For a member of the Beggar’s Clan to rush about on a horse would be very conspicuous, and government officials would often halt them to investigate. However, a messenger delivering an urgent message absolutely must use a horse. Thus, the beggar dressed up as a rich, prosperous merchant. However, he continued to wear his own original clothes underneath, so as to show that he had not forgotten where his loyalties lie.

That person walked to hall-master of the ‘Hall of Great Righteousness’, respectfully presenting him with a package. “Urgent report on the military situation…” After saying these words, he ran out of breath and began panting. Suddenly, the horse he had ridden here let out a mournful neigh, then collapsed on the floor. It had been exhausted to death. The courier’s body swayed, then he suddenly fell down as well. It was obvious that both the courier and his horse had been rushing for a long distance, and both had used up all of their strength.

The hall-master of the ‘Hall of Great Righteousness’ recognized this courier. He was one of the beggars whom had been sent to spy upon the Western Xia’s ‘League of Elites’. Seeing how this person had exhausted himself to deliver this message, its contents surely must be of great importance and unusual urgency. Thus, he did not open the pouch itself, and instead offered it to Qiao Feng, saying, “Critical military report regarding the Western Xia. The courier was sent to keep an eye on the Western Xia along with brother Yi Dabiao.”

Qiao Feng took the pouch. Opening it, he saw that there was a wax pellet. He broke open the pellet, retrieving from within a roll of paper. Just as he was about to read what was written on the paper, the sound of hoofsteps grew louder as the horse from the east burst into the apricot forest. Just as it entered the forest, the man on the horse flew out of its saddle, shouting, “Qiao Feng, the message within the wax pellet involves critical military intelligence. You cannot read it!”

Everyone present was startled. They saw that this person was an extremely old beggar with a white beard which fluttered in the wind, and who wore a turtledove robe which had been repaired over and over again. The skill-instructing elder and the law-enforcing elder rose to their feet simultaneously. “Elder Xu, what business causes you to grace us with your presence?”

When the beggars heard that it was elder Xu who had arrived, looks of shock appeared on their face. Elder Xu, at eighty seven years of age, was of an extremely senior generation within the Beggar’s Clan. Even the previous chief, chief Wang, addressed him as ‘martial-uncle’. Everyone within the clan was of a lower generation than him. He had retired many years ago, and had long since ceased to pay attention to worldly affairs. Every year, when Qiao Feng, the skill-instructing elder, and the law-enforcing elder went to pay their respects to him, they would only casually discuss some of the affairs of the clan. Unexpectedly, he would suddenly rush here today, and then forbid Qiao Feng from reading the urgent news regarding the Western Xia’s military movements. Everyone present was greatly shocked.

Qiao Feng immediately bowed forward in a salute. “Elder Xu, have you been well?” Following this, he opened his hand and delivered the roll of paper to elder Xu.

Qiao Feng was the chief of the Beggar’s Clan. Although it was true that he was of a younger generation than elder Xu, he was still the person in charge when it came to events of great import involving the clan. Even the previous chief, chief Wang, would be subject to his commands, much less a retired elder such as elder Xu. But unexpectedly, when elder Xu forbade Qiao Feng from reading the urgent military news regarding the Western Xia’s movements, Qiao Feng did not defy him in the slightest. Everyone present was shocked.

Elder Xu said, “Excuse me!” He took the roll of paper from Qiao Feng’s hands, then immediately cast his gaze at the group of beggars. In a clear voice, he said, “The widow of vice-chief Ma Dayuan, madame Ma, is soon to arrive. When she arrives, there are some things which need to be discussed. Everyone, what say ye?” All of the beggars looked at Qiao Feng, wanting to know how he would respond.

Qiao Feng was filled with doubt and suspicion. He said, “If this is a matter of great importance, then we can simply wait.” Elder Xu said, “This is a matter of great importance.” After saying these words, he said nothing further. He belatedly paid Qiao Feng the courtesies due to the chief, and then sat down to one side.

Duan Yu felt some misgivings about the whole situation, and also wanted to seize the opportunity to make some conversation with Wang Yuyan. He said to her in a low voice, “Miss Wang, the Beggar’s Clan has so very many affairs. Should we depart, or should we stay here and watch all the fun?” Wang Yuyan wrinkled her forehead. “We are outsiders. Originally, we shouldn’t get involved in their secret internal issues. However…however…the matter which they are fighting over involves my cousin. I want to listen.” Duan Yu chimed in, “That’s right. It’s said that vice-chief Ma was killed by your cousin and left behind a helpless, pitiable widow.” Wang Yuyan hurriedly said, “No! No! My cousin didn’t kill vice-chief Ma. Isn’t that what chief Qiao says as well?” At this moment, the sound of hoofsteps could be heard once more as two riders galloped towards the apricot forest. In setting up their conference here, the beggars of the clan naturally left behind signs for others. In addition, they had people nearby who could lead the way for friends or give out warnings if enemies arrived.

Everyone was certain that one of the riders must be vice-chief Ma’s widow. Unexpectedly, one of the riders was an old man, and the other an old lady. The man had a small, short figure, while the female was extremely tall and lofty. They formed a total contrast.

Qiao Feng rose to greet them. “Granny Tan and Grandpa Tan of Mt. Taihang’s Cavern of Flowing Clouds, you honor us with your presence! Qiao Feng apologizes for not welcoming you from afar, and thank you for your forgiveness.” Elder Xu and the other six elders all rose up and saluted them as well.

Upon seeing this, Duan Yu realized that Granny Tan and Grandpa Tan must be wulin figures of great renown and dignitas.

Granny Tan asked, “Chief Qiao, why are there a number of knives planted on your shoulder?” Lifting up her arm, she immediately pulled out all four knives from his shoulder. The movement of her hands was extremely quick. Right after she pulled out the knives, Grandpa Tan withdrew a small box from his bosom. Opening its lid, he dabbed his finger into some ointment within the box, then spread it on the wounds on Qiao Feng’s shoulder. As soon as he applied this ‘Golden Wound’ ointment, the fresh blood which was spewing forth from the wounds instantly came to a halt. The speed which Granny Tan displayed in retrieving the knives was very rarely seen, but it was only a single action. Grandpa Tan’s movements in withdrawing the box, opening the lid, dabbing the ointment, applying it to the wounds, then staunching the bleeding were neat and tidy. Although his movements were very quick, everyone was able to see them clearly and distinctly. It truly appeared almost like magic, or sleight of hand. In addition, the ‘Golden Wound’ ointment’s almost divine efficacy in stopping the flow of blood was even more unimaginable. As soon as it was applied, the blood stopped flowing, without even the slightest delay.

Qiao Feng saw that Granny Tan and Grandpa Tan immediately helped him treat his wounds without even carrying about the how’s and why’s of the situation. Although he felt this was a bit rash of them, he also felt extremely moved. Even as he was in the process of thanking them, he felt that the pain in his shoulders became replaced by itchiness. In a very short amount of time, much of the pain was greatly reduced. He had never even heard of a cure as miraculous as this ‘Golden Wound’ ointment, much less have personally seen it before.

Granny Tan asked again, “Chief Qiao, who in the world has the audacity to stab you with these knives?” Qiao Feng laughed. “I did it to myself.” Curious, Granny Tan asked, “Why would you stab yourself? Are you tired of living?” Qiao Feng smiled. “I stabbed myself for the fun of it. The flesh on my shoulders is thick and tough. I didn’t harm the sinews or the bone.” Elders Song, Xi, Chen, and Wu, hearing Qiao Feng conceal the real story, felt both moved and ashamed.

Granny Tan let out a laugh. “What type of lies are you spewing out? Oh, I know! You clever little imp, you heard that Grandpa Tan created a brand-new, incomparably efficacious ointment for wounds, using a mixture of ‘Frozen Jade from the North Pole’ and the ‘Mysterious Ice Toad’, and you wanted to give it a test run, right?”

Qiao Feng was noncommittal. He only smiled a little, then thought to himself, “This old granny is extremely simple and tactless. Who in the world could be so bored as to stab themselves with knives, so as to test out your new medicine?”

The sound of hoofbeats could be heard once more, as a donkey charged into the apricot forest. On the donkey was seated a man mounted backwards. His back was facing the front of the donkey, while his front was facing the donkey’s tail. Granny Tan’s face was immediately wreathed in smiles. She shouted out, “Martial-brother, what type of crazy game are you up to now? I’ll spank you!”

When everyone looked at the rider, they saw that he had shrunk his body into a ball, as though he were a seven or eight year old child. Granny Tan stretched out with her palm, slapping at his buttocks. That person immediately rolled down to the ground. As he stretched his hand out to steady himself, he suddenly became both big and strong. Everyone was a bit startled. Grandpa Tan, however, had a rather unhappy look on his face. With a hmph, he tossed a side-glance at the man while saying, “I was wondering who it was. So it’s you.” He immediately turned his head to stare at Granny Tan.

If one were to say that the man who was riding the donkey backwards was very old, it didn’t seem he was all that old. But it would be equally impossible to describing him as young. He appeared to be somewhere from thirty to sixty years of age, and could not be described as ugly or as handsome. He stared raptly at Granny Tan, displaying a boundless concern and fascination with her. In a gentle voice he asked, “Little Juan, has your life been happy recently?”

Granny Tan was as large as a horse and built like an ox. Her hair was as white as silver, and her face was filled with wrinkles. Unexpectedly, her name was actually ‘Little Juan’ (‘Juan’ literally means graceful/beautiful). Such a delicate, pretty name was totally opposite to her appearance. Everyone within hearing range thought this was very funny. However, it was true that every old lady was once young. If she was called ‘Little Juan’ when she was young, it wouldn’t be appropriate to change it to ‘Old Juan’ later on, right? Just as Duan Yu was thinking that exact thought, once more the sound of hoofsteps could be heard as multiple horses sped their way. This time, however, the speed of the horses didn’t seem to be particularly urgent at all.

Qiao Feng was sizing up the donkey-rider, but was unable to determine just who he was. He was Granny Tan’s elder martial brother, and while riding the donkey, he displayed an extremely brilliant usage of the ‘bone shrinking technique’. Naturally, he must be an extraordinary character. However, Qiao Feng had never heard of him before.

The pack of riders arrived at the apricot forest. Riding in front were five youths, all with thick eyebrows and large eyes. They all looked very similar to each other. The eldest appeared to be over thirty years of age, whereas the youngest was a bit over twenty. Clearly, the five of them were brothers born of the same mother.

Wu Changfeng loudly called out, “The Five Heroes of Mt. Taishan have arrived! Wonderful, wonderful! What propitious wind has blown all five of you brothers here at the same time?” The third brother of the Five Heroes of Mt. Taishan was named Dan Shushan, and he was extremely close to Wu Changfeng. He immediately seized the first chance to reply and said, “Fourth Uncle Wu, hello! My father came as well.” The look on Wu Changfeng’s face changed slightly. He said, “Truly? Your father…” He had just acted in a way which violated the rules of the Beggar’s Clan, and still felt uneasy about it. Upon hearing that the ‘Iron Faced Judge’ Dan Zheng of Mt. Taishan had suddenly arrived, he couldn’t help but suddenly feel flustered. The ‘Iron Faced Judge’ Dan Zheng hated wickedness as though it were his personal foe. If ever he heard that something unfair had occurred within the jianghu, he would definitely intervene. His own skills in martial arts was very formidable, and aside from his five sons, he also had many disciples under his tutelage, numbering over two hundred people. Everyone was in awe of the fame of “Mt. Taishan’s Dan Family”.

Following this, another rider galloped into the apricot forest. The Five Heroes of Mt. Taishan simultaneously brought the horse to a halt, as the rider, an old man who wore a long silk robe, floated down from his mount. He clasped his hands towards Qiao Feng, saying, “Chief Qiao, Dan Zheng has arrived without being invited. Please forgive me for interrupting.”

Qiao Feng had long heard of Dan Zheng, but this was the first time they had met in person. He saw that Dan Zheng’s face was filled with a healthy red glow. The man lived up to his reputation of having ‘white hair and a rosy complexion’. However, he had a very mild expression on his face. It didn’t seem as though he were as ruthless a person as the rumors of jianghu made him out to be. Qiao Feng hastily cupped his fists in response and said, “If I knew that you, elder Dan, were going to grace us with your presence, I would have welcomed you long ago.”

The man who rode in on a donkey suddenly let out a weird shout. “Hah, great! So you should welcome the ‘Iron Faced Judge’ from afar, but when I, the ‘Iron Arsed Judge’ arrived, you didn’t pay me any mind at all!”

Upon hearing the bizarre nickname of ‘Iron Arsed Judge’, everyone present laughed uproariously. Although Wang Yuyan, Ah Zhu, and Ah Bi all felt that laughing was improper, they couldn’t help but let out beautiful smiles as well. Upon hearing these words, the Five Heroes of Mt. Taishan knew that this man was trying to mock their father. They immediately became upset. However, the family rules of the Dan family were extremely rigid. Since Dan Zheng himself had not said anything yet, none of his children dared to speak out of turn.

Dan Zheng possessed very good self-control. He couldn’t immediately determine the origins of this weirdo, and so pretended to not have heard his words. In a clear voice, he called out, “Madame Ma, please come out and speak with us.”
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Thanks for the update RWX! This gathering gets more and more bizarre. I wonder why all of these extra people have suddenly arrived.
    --=={Grundle}==--

Just a note. Due to the idiosyncrasies of the Chinese language, the character 'Dan' when used as a family name, is actually pronounced as 'Shan'.

So it should be Shan Zheng, Shan Shushan etc.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Just a note. Due to the idiosyncrasies of the Chinese language, the character 'Dan' when used as a family name, is actually pronounced as 'Shan'.

So it should be Shan Zheng, Shan Shushan etc.
    I thought that as well, but if it's 'Shan', not 'Dan', it no longer seems to be in fitting with Zhao Qiansun's mockery of 'Shuang Wai'.

I'll take your word for it though, and change it back to Shan...
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 05-18-09 at 11:39 PM.

Huh random people showing up, it's as if it's a GL story

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    Huh random people showing up, it's as if it's a GL story
    These ELOCs served as Comic Relief in a supposedly depressing chapter.

Also some unintentional comedy resulting from fan discussions, such as Elder Xu Chongxiao being able to withstand 30,000 volts of lightning or something.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Thanks for the update! It was a pleasant surprise to have a little extra reading while on vacation.

This is such a crucial part of the story... As much action as we've seen thus far, it almost feels like this is where the prologue ends and the novel is about to begin. Really looking forward to the next update!

From behind the grove appeared a covered sedan. Two strong men were carrying the sedan, and they moved so quickly as to appear to be flying. Arriving within the forest, they set down the sedan, then parted upon the sedan curtain. From within the sedan, a young madame all dressed in mourning clothes slowly stepped out. The young madame bowed her heads towards Qiao Feng, paying her respects to him. She said, “The widow of the Ma family pays her respects to the chief.”

Qiao Feng returned her salute. “Sister-in-law, I greet you.”

Madame Ma said, “My late husband had the misfortune to pass away. Thankfully, the many uncles of the clan have helped to arrange his funeral rites. I am sincerely grateful to you all.” Her voice was extremely clear and melodious. Evidently, she was very young. However, this entire time her eyes stared down at the ground, preventing others from seeing her face.

Qiao Feng believed that Madame Ma must have found an important clue in the matter of her husband’s death, which is why she had suddenly rushed here. But for her not to bring such important information to the chief of the clan, and to approach the Iron Faced Judge and elder Xu instead, was an indication that something was very fishy here. Turning around, he glanced at the law-enforcing elder, Bai Shijing. Bai Shijing had just turned to glance at him as well. Their gazes met, and both of their eyes were filled with suspicion regarding the proceedings.

Qiao Feng decided to properly receive the guests first before handling internal affairs. He said to Shan Zheng, “Elder Shan, the married couple of Mt. Taihang’s Cavern of Flowing Clouds are here as well. I wonder if you know them?” Shan Zheng cupped his fists towards them. “I’ve long heard of the great fame of the Tan family. It is my great fortune to meet you.” Qiao Feng said, “Elder Tan, could you introduce this other old gentleman to me, so that I might pay him proper respects?”

Before Grandpa Tan had a chance to reply, the donkey rider replied, “My family name is ‘Shuang’, and my personal name is ‘Wai’. My nickname is the ‘Iron Arsed Judge.’”

No matter how good ‘Iron Faced Judge’ Shan Zheng’s temper was, he couldn’t prevent his rage from rising at this point. He thought to himself, “My family name is ‘Shan’ [Single], and he chooses the family name ‘Shuang’ [Double]. My personal name is ‘Zheng’ [Straight], and he picks the name ‘Wai’ [Crooked]. Isn’t this clearly directed at me?” Just as he was about to let loose his rage, Granny Tan said, “Elder Shan, don’t listen to Zhao Qiansun’s nonsense. He’s a bit crazy. There’s no point in getting worked up over him.”

Qiao Feng thought to himself, “This man is named Zhao Qiansun? That can’t be his real name.” He said, “Everyone, there’s no seats here, and so I’ll have to ask you all to make do with the ground.” After seeing everyone sit down, he said, “If I had known a day ago that I would meet with so many distinguished elders and friends, I would have felt extremely honored and fortunate. Might I ask why all of you have graced us with your presences?”

Shan Zheng said, “Chief Qiao, your respected clan is the largest clan in the jianghu, and for centuries has had a world-spanning heroic reputation. Whenever anyone in the wulin says the words ‘Beggar’s Clan’, they do so with great awe and respect. I, Shan Zheng, have always greatly admired the clan as well.” Qiao Feng said, “You are too kind!”

Zhao Qiansun interjected, “Chief Qiao, your respected clan is the largest clan in the jianghu, and for centuries has had a world-spanning heroic reputation. Whenever anyone in the wulin says the words ‘Beggar’s Clan’, they do so with great awe and respect. I, Shuang Wai, have always greatly admired the clan as well.” His words were exactly identical to the words of Shan Zheng; only, he change the name from ‘Shan Zheng’ to ‘Shuang Wai’.

Qiao Feng knew that many of the elders of the wulin had strange temperaments and dispositions. He didn’t know why Zhao Qiansun was making fun of Shan Zheng every chance that he got, but he decided that the only thing which truly concerned him was not offending anybody. Thus, once more Qiao Feng said, “You are too kind!”

Shan Zheng smiled a little, then said to his eldest son, Shan Boshan, “Boshan, go ahead and speak to chief Qiao in my stead. If anyone wants to imitate my son, they can go ahead and do it to their heart’s content.”

Everyone who heard these words couldn’t help but let out a burst of laughter. They all thought to themselves that that although the Iron Faced Judge posed as a man of high morals, he was secretly quite caustic. If Zhao Qiansun imitated the words of Shan Boshan, then it would be said that Zhao Qiansun was pretending to be Shan Zheng’s son.

Unexpectedly, Zhao Qiansun said, “Boshan, go ahead and speak to chief Qiao in my stead. If anyone wants to imitate my son, they can go ahead and do it to their heart’s content.” He flipped the situation on its head, as though he were now acknowledging that he himself was Shan Boshan’s father.

Shan Zheng’s youngest son, Shan Xiaoshan, had the most explosive temper. He loudly cursed, “Mother****er, are you tired of living?”

Zhao Qiansun mumbled to himself, “Mother****er, four useless sons such as these are already four too many. There really was no need for a fifth. Heh, I wonder who his real father is.”

Hearing how brazenly Zhao Qiansun was provoking him, even if Shan Zheng were a clay figurine, he would warp and bend. Turning his head, he said to Zhao Qiansun, “We are the guests of the Beggar’s Clan for the moment. If we kick up a fuss, it would be disrespectful to our hosts. After the matter at hand is dealt with, I will naturally seek you out and see your incredible skills. Boshan, just speak!” Zhao Qiansun continued to imitate him and said, “We are the guests of the Beggar’s Clan for the moment. If we kick up a fuss, it would be disrespectful to our hosts. After the matter at hand is dealt with, I will naturally seek you out and see your incredible skills. Boshan, your old man is telling you to speak. Just speak!”

Shan Boshan would have liked nothing better than to rush forward and give him a few nasty chops of the sabre and relieve the hatred in his heart. With a strenuous effort, he reined in his fury and said to Qiao Feng, “Chief Qiao, the two us, father and son, originally would never have dared to get involved in the matters of your venerable clan, but as my father says, ‘a gentleman loves men of character…’” As he said this, he glanced at Zhao Qiansun, wondering if Zhao Qiansun would be imitating him. If he was, he would be forced to also say, ‘But as my father says, ‘a gentleman loves men of character’. Thus, Zhao Qiansun would be saying that Shan Zheng was his father.

Unexpectedly, Zhao Qiansun really did continue to imitate him. He said, “Chief Qiao, the two us, father and son, originally would never have dared to get involved in the matters of your venerable clan, but as my son says, ‘a gentleman loves men of character’.” He changed the word ‘father’ to ‘son’. Naturally, he was mocking Shan Zheng. Everyone who heard this frowned, feeling that Zhao Qiansun was going too far. They feared that the situation would immediately explode into a bloody confrontation.

Shan Zheng lightly said, “Sir, you continue to try and make things difficult for me. However, I have never met you before, and do not know how I might have offended you. I would like to ask that you make things clear. If I am at fault, simply let me know and I will immediately admit my error’s and offer you my apologies.”

Everyone secretly supported Shan Zheng’s words, feeling that he really lived up to his reputation of being a heroic, chivalric figure of the central plains.

Zhao Qiansun said, “You didn’t offend me, but you offended Little Juan. This is ten times worse than offending me!”

Shan Zheng said, “Who is ‘Little Juan’? When did I offend her?” Zhao Qiansun pointed at Granny Tan. “She’s Little Juan. Little Juan is her maiden name. In the whole wide world, no one but me can address her like that.” Shan Zheng was both angry and amused. He said, “Oh, so that is Granny Tan’s maiden name. I didn’t know. Please forgive me for any offense I may have given.” Zhao Qiansun said in a haughty, supercilious voice, “As you didn’t know, we won’t blame you. Your first offense is pardoned; if it happens again, you won’t be.” Shan Zheng said, “I have long heard of the great fame of the married Tan family, who live in Mt. Taihang’s Cavern of Flowing Clouds, but never had the karmic fortune to meet them. I have never gossiped about anyone behind their back. How could I have offended the granny of the Tan family?”

Zhao Qiansun angrily said, “Earlier, I was asking Little Juan, ‘has your life been happy recently?’ But before she had a chance to reply, your five precious sons swaggered on in and barged their way into our midst, interrupting her response. Even to this very moment, she hasn’t had a chance to reply to me. Brother Shan, why don’t you go and ask what type of person Little Juan is? Or what type of person I, ‘Zhao Qian Sun Li, Zhou Wu Zheng Wang’, am? Are we the type of people who would allow others to disrupt our conversations just like that?” [All of the eight words from ‘Zhao’ to ‘Wang’ are surnames; Zhao Qiansun’s own name is made up of three surnames, which is why Qiao Feng doesn’t believe it could be his real name.]

Upon hearing these bizarre words, Shan Zheng realized that this fellow really wasn’t very bright. He said, “Brother, there’s something I don’t understand, and I hope you can enlighten me.” Zhao Qiansun said, “What is it? If I’m in a good mood, I suppose I can help you with a few pointers.” Shan Zheng said, “Many thanks, many thanks. Sir, you said that you are the only person in the whole world who can address Granny Tan by her maiden name, right?” Zhao Qiansun said, “Right on! If you don’t believe me, call her maiden name out again, and see if I, ‘Zhao Qian Sun Li, Zhou Wu Zheng Wang, Feng Chen Chu Wei, Jiang Shen Han Yang,’ won’t get into a big fight with you right now!” Shan Zheng said, “Brother, I naturally wouldn’t dare to call her name again. But can it be that even Grandpa Tan is not allowed to call her by her maiden name?”

Zhao Qiansun’s face turned a ghastly pale color. For a long moment, he did not respond. Everyone thought to themselves that these words of Shan Zheng had stupefied him. Unexpectedly, Zhao Qiansun suddenly burst into sobs, as his tears and snot criss-crossed into a pitiable, heart-broken appearance.

This was wildly outside of everyone’s expectations. This person feared neither heaven nor hell, and had seemed determined to squabble with the Iron Faced Judge to the very end. Unexpectedly, just these few simple words caused him to break into a large cryfest which he seemed unable to end.

Seeing how heartbroken Zhao Qiansun was, Shan Zheng began to feel embarrassed. The fury which had curdled up in his heart immediately vanished away. He instead began to console Zhao Qiansun, saying, “Brother Zhao, I’m the one at fault here.” Zhao Qiansun sobbed and whimpered, “My surname isn’t Zhao.” Startled, Shan Zheng asked, “Sir, what is your surname then?” Zhao Qiansun replied, “I don’t have one. Don’t ask, don’t ask anymore.”

Everyone guessed that Zhao Qiansun must have an extremely painful subject that would be awkward to discuss. As to what it was, since he refused to say, it would be inappropriate for others to ask. All they could do was to let him continue to cry, sob, and weep without stopping.

With a composed look on her face, Granny Tan said, “You’ve gone crazy again. You are in front of so many friends. Aren’t you afraid of losing face at all?”

Zhao Qiansun said, “You cast me off, then went off and married this good-for-nothing Grandpa Tan. How can I not be miserable and pained? My heart is shattered, and my guts have been splintered. Why would I care about such a small thing as face?”

All the onlookers glanced at each other and smiled. None of them were surprised at the revelation. Clearly, Zhao Qiansun and Granny Tan once shared a romantic history together. When Granny Tan married Grandpa Tan, Zhao Qiansun became so heartbroken that he threw away his very name and would go into insane fits of silliness. The Tan couple were clearly in their sixties. How could it be that Zhao Qiansun was still this passionate, still this heartbroken despite the passage of decades? Granny Tan’s face was covered with wrinkles, and her white hair was desolate and dreary. No one present could see how this large and tall old lady, even in her youth, could have caused Zhao Qiansun to be so passionate about her to this very day.

A bashful look appeared on Granny Tan’s face. She said, “Martial-brother, why do you keep on bringing up these bygone affairs? Today, the Beggar’s Clan has important matters to discuss. Be well-behaved and just listen, alright?”

These gently persuasive words were very comfortable to Zhao Qiansun’s ears. He said, “If you smile at me, I’ll listen to you.” Before Granny Tan had a chance to smile, ten or so bystanders already burst into laughter. Granny Tan didn’t seem to notice at all, and smiled directly at him. Zhao Qiansun stared at her as though stupefied. Clearly, he had been totally dazed by her smile, and it was as though his very soul had been frozen.

Grandpa Tan sat off to one side, face filled with fury, but there was nothing he could do. Watching this scene, Duan Yu’s heart suddenly trembled. He thought to himself, “The love and passion between these three people is so strong that they don’t pay a care to the fact that others are here and watching. I…I…in the future, in the future, will I and Miss Wang be the way Zhao Qiansun and Granny Tan are? No! No! Granny Tan clearly holds great affection towards her martial-brother. But the person whom Miss Wang constantly thinks about is her cousin, Murong Fu. Compared to Zhao Qiansun, I am far inferior to him, and my situation is much worse.”

Qiao Feng, on the other hand, was thinking about something else. “So Zhao Qiansun is a false name after all. I’ve always heard it said that Granny Tan and Grandpa Tan were disciples of the master of the Taihang sect. But judging from the words these three have said, it seems as though they don’t come from the same school after all. Does Grandpa Tan belong to the Taihang school, or does Granny Tan belong to the Taihang school? If Grandpa Tan is the one who belongs to the Taihang sect, then which sect did Granny Tan and this Zhao Qiansun fellow come from?”

Zhao Qiansun said, “I heard that Gusu’s Murong family produced a Murong Fu, who ‘uses the opponent’s skills, exercising them upon the opponent.’ I hear that he is brash and audacious, and that he wantonly murders innocents. This old man wants to go a few rounds with him and see what sort of ability that brat has, to reverse his attacks upon me, ‘Zhao Qian Sun Li, Zhou Wu Zheng Wang’. Little Juan, you told me to come to Jiangnan. Naturally, I came. Much less I…”

But before he finished speaking, a person could be heard crying loudly. Weeping and bawling, the sound was absolutely identical to that of his own crying a few moments earlier. Everyone present was astonished. That person began to complain while crying, “My dear martial-sister, how did I offend you? Why did you go marry that horrible old man Tan? This old man’s been thinking about you day and night. My stomach has been stretched and my intestines have been knotted. The person I always think about is you, martial-sister Little Juan. When our master was alive, he treated the two of us as though we were his own children. How can you face our master, after you refused to marry me and marry someone else?”

In both sound and speech pattern, the voice was absolutely identical to that of Zhao Qiansun’s. If it weren’t for the fact that everyone clearly saw how Zhao Qiansun was stunned and gape-mouthed, and how astonished he looked, everyone would have believed that it was he who spoke. Everyone turned to look as one. They saw that this voice came from a young maiden who wore a light red dress.

That person turned around, revealing herself to be Ah Zhu. Duan Yu, Ah Bi, and Wang Yuyan knew that Ah Zhu had an almost divine ability to mimic the voices of others. They weren’t surprised at all. But everyone else present was both amazed and amused. They all thought that after hearing this, Zhao Qiansun would go crazy with rage. Unexpectedly, these words of Ah Zhu stirred his heart. He had almost stopped crying, but upon hearing her words, his eyes reddened once more, his lips drooped downwards, and once more his tears poured down his face, and he once more started bawling in tune with Ah Zhu.

Shan Zheng shook his head. In a clear voice, he said, “Although my surname is ‘Shan’, ‘Single’, I have a wife and four concubines, and my sons and grandchildren fill my home. You, Mr. Shuang Wai, have a surname ‘Shuang’, Double’, but you are a solitary, lonely figure. This sort of affair should have been dealt with long ago. There’s no point to bringing it up now. I’m afraid it’s rather too late. Brother Shuang, we were invited to come to Jiangnan by the widow of the late vice-chief Ma of the Beggar’s Clan. Did we come for the purpose of discussing your marriage and matrimonial status?” Zhao Qiansun shook his head. “No.” Shan Zheng said, “In that case, it would be best if we discussed the serious business which brought us to the Beggar’s Clan in the first place.” Zhao Qiansun suddenly shouted out angrily, “What? The business of the Beggar’s Clan is serious business, but the business between me and Little Juan is not?”

By this point, Grandpa Tan had reached the ends of his patience. He said, “Ah Hui, Ah Hui! If you don’t hurry and keep him from continuing to act crazy, I won’t be able to restrain myself.” After hearing him address her as ‘Ah Hui’, everyone present realized, “So Granny Tan has another name after all. ‘Little Juan’ is a term which Zhao Qiansun alone uses.”

Stamping her foot, Granny Tan said, “He isn’t going crazy. You harmed him and made him become like this. Aren’t you content yet?” Surprised, Grandpa Tan said, “I…I…I…how did I harm him?” Granny Tan said, “I married you, you horrible old man. Naturally, my martial-brother feels miserable about it…” Grandpa Tan said, “When you married me, I was neither horrible nor old.” Granny Tan angrily said, “Have you no shame? Are you claiming that in the past, you were handsome and graceful?”

Elder Xu and Shan Zheng looked at each other, shaking their heads. They thought that these three babies were old, but not at all dignified or mature. The three of them were all senior members of the wulin with a great deal of personal prestige, and yet they were now squabbling over the passions of their youth in front of so many people. It was truly ridiculous.

Elder Xu let out a cough. “Father and son of Mt. Taishan, husband and wife of Mt. Taihang, and this friend as well, thank you for gracing us with your presences this day. Everyone in our humble clan, from top to bottom, feel very honored. Madame Ma, please tell your tale, starting from the beginning.”

Thanks, Ren. Highly appreciated. I get to enjoy your work now.

Any updates? Been almost 2 months :-)
    TaZzY InC

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

the translation has been amazing, but it stopped right at the big event that sets of the XF adventures. it almost to much. anybody think of putting an unabridged portion together. the translations have been a bit scattered.

dgsd chpt 41&42.
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=21999

loose bits of translation.
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=16821

last chapt.
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=8926
    Last edited by kyss of the sword; 08-17-09 at 11:44 AM.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

It has been a while since anyone translated this. Are there still anyone working on it? If not I would like to try to take on this project and continue translating this story. Only problem is that I will be working with a vietnamese translation though.

I am new to translating, and I know can not maintain Jin Yong's style and prose in my translations but I would like to try my best. The story and content should be the same, but as for the names I would like someone who knows the chinese names to help me edit and change it so it is consistent with the previous translations. I am sure there would be a lot that is lost in translation since this is going to be a chinese to vietnamese to english work. So if there are some one who would like to help out and edit my translations so that it matches more closely with the original please let me know.

Would love to see further translation of this - thanks for your work tigergee!

Hi, tigergee2329
    Probably this will help a little

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nd_Semi-Devils

Just wonderin...is anyone still doing a translation of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    Just wonderin...is anyone still doing a translation of this?
    What a surprise!
    This post i so qualified !
    Thanks for sharing !

Hey guys, we're now voting for our favourite novel over at the Wuxia Fiction forum!

Come on over and take part!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=28045

-

Quote Originally Posted by tigergee2329 View Post
    It has been a while since anyone translated this. Are there still anyone working on it? If not I would like to try to take on this project and continue translating this story. Only problem is that I will be working with a vietnamese translation though.

I am new to translating, and I know can not maintain Jin Yong's style and prose in my translations but I would like to try my best. The story and content should be the same, but as for the names I would like someone who knows the chinese names to help me edit and change it so it is consistent with the previous translations. I am sure there would be a lot that is lost in translation since this is going to be a chinese to vietnamese to english work. So if there are some one who would like to help out and edit my translations so that it matches more closely with the original please let me know.

Plz Plz Plz do continue.
    it has been so long due.
    Rose blooms best near death
    You are in full bloom, Pal!

I can help with the name and other edits if you want. I have no time to translate but editing should be fine.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

It has been a while since anyone translated this. Are there still anyone working on it? If not I would like to try to take on this project and continue translating this story... .
    Hi Dear tigergee. Thanks very much for your help.

I have a long wait for the tanslation's update, but alas; The tranlators are working very hard for tanslating not as important and not as interesting wuxia novels as DGSD and they don't care for translating this very important and very interested one.

I can't wait to read your translations and thank you and other translators and editors beforehand.

I also thank previous translators and editors of this novel.
    Last edited by Linghu; 02-13-10 at 04:18 PM.
    "The bitterest enemy of you is carnal desires of yourself."

"The best fight is fight against carnal desires of oneself."

- The Successor of the Prophet of Islam, Imam Ali peace be upon him