Page 35 of 77 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Demi-God Semi-Devils

Thanks Xaari!

Wonder how XF will find the leading brother now...

The weirdest way to die... death by her own ugliness.. XD

short post from me.. and Thanks Xaari..

Thanks tweety, lawwoo, SkyWalker, MrCommunist, and paine! Sorry for not being as fast as other translators on the forum. Busy + lazy = bad combination.

Poor Xiao Feng...first Madam Ma, now A'Zi. All women except A'Zhu make his life absolutely miserable, eh?

Chapter 25: Gray Journey through the Snow

Xiao Feng traveled over ten li and saw a small temple by the roadside. He entered the hall, leaned against the wall, and napped for over four hours. His exhaustion gone, he continued heading north. After walking another forty li, he arrived at the northern crossroad, Changtai Pass.

Naturally, the first thing to do was to find a wine shop. He ordered ten catties of white wine, two catties of beef, and a fat chicken. After pouring and drinking ten catties of wine, he ordered another five catties. As he was drinking, he heard the sound of footsteps, and a person walked in. It was precisely A’Zi. Xiao Feng thought, “This little girl is here to ruin my passion for drinking.” He turned around and pretended that he hadn’t seen her.

A’Zi smiled and sat down at the table opposite him. She called out, “Proprietor, proprietor, bring the wine.”

The bartender walked over, smiled, and said, “Little Miss, are you also going to drink wine?”

A’Zi reprimanded, “Miss should just be Miss. Why do you need to add a “little” to it? Why wouldn’t I drink wine? Get me ten catties of white wine first. In addition, prepare another five catties to serve later. Get two catties of beef and a fat chicken. Hurry, hurry!”

The bartender stuck out his tongue and didn’t withdraw it for a long time. He cried out, “Aiyo, my goodness! Is Miss serious or joking? You’re so small. How can you eat this much?” As he said this, he looked sideways at Xiao Feng and thought, “She’s directing this at you! Whatever you drink, she’ll also drink; whatever you eat, she’ll also eat.”

A’Zi said, “Who says I’m so small? You don’t have eyes, right? Are you afraid that after eating, I won’t have money to pay up?” As she said this, she took out a silver ingot from her bosom. With a “dang” sound, she tossed it onto the table and said, “If I can’t finish eating or drinking, then wouldn’t I feed it to the dogs? What do you need to worry about?”

The bartender smiled and said, “Yes, yes!” He looked sideways at Xiao Feng again and thought, “She’s really getting at you now and beating around the bush cursing you.”

A while later, the meat and wine were brought up. The bartender carried a large bowl and placed it in front of her. Smiling, he said, “Miss, I’ll pour wine for you now.”

A’Zi nodded and said, “Okay.”

The bartender poured a full bowl of wine for her and thought, “It’d be a wonder if you finish drinking this bowl and don’t roll around on the ground intoxicated.”

A’Zi held the bowl in her hands, brought it to her lips, and licked a bit. She frowned and said, “So pungent, so pungent. This inferior wine tastes really bad. Were it not for a few big idiots in this world who are willing to drink it, how could your wine be sold?”

The bartender casted another sidelong glance at Xiao Feng, saw that he had ignored her all along, and unconsciously laughed inwardly.

A’Zi tore a chicken leg, took a bite, and said, “Pei, it’s smelly!”

The bartender cried out, feeling wronged, “This delicious fat chicken was still making “ge ge ge” sounds this morning. It’s fresh and hot. How can it be smelly?”

A’Zi said, “Mm, maybe it’s because your body’s smelly, or else the other customer in your shop is smelly.” Snowflakes were drifting outside, there was no one traveling on the road, and Xiao Feng and she were the only two customers in the shop.

The bartender smiled and said, “It’s my body that’s smelly, of course it’s my body that’s smelly. Miss, you should take care when you speak. Don’t accidentally offend another gentleman.”

A’Zi said, “What? If I offend someone else, could he beat me to death with one palm?” As she said this, she picked up her chopsticks and held a piece of beef. She took a bite, didn’t even chew it, and spit it out. She cried out, “Aiyo, this beef is sour. It’s not beef, but human flesh. You people sell human flesh. What an evil shop, what an evil shop!”

The bartender panicked and said hurriedly, “Aiyo, Miss, be charitable and don’t stir up trouble. This is fresh yellow beef. How can you say it’s human flesh? How can human flesh have such a rough texture? How can it have such a splendid red color?”

A’Zi said, “Okay, so you know the texture and color of human flesh. I’m asking you, how many people have your shop killed?”

The bartender smiled and said, “Miss, you really like to joke around. Changtai Pass is such a large city in Menyang prefecture, and we’re a sixty-year-old shop. Where’s the reasoning of killing people and selling human flesh?”

A’Zi said, “Fine, even if it’s not human flesh, it’s still smelly, and only a fool would eat it. Aiyo, my boots have gotten so dirty from the snowy ground.” Saying this, she snatched a large piece of delicious simmer-fried beef from the plate and wiped it on her left boot.

The outer layer of the boot had originally been splashed with mud. After the wiping, half the mud was removed while beef grease was smeared on, making the surface shine like a mirror.

Upon seeing her use the beef that had been diligently cooked by the great chef to wipe her boot, the bartender felt his heart ache greatly. He stood to the side and sighed continuously.

A’Zi asked, “Why are you sighing?”

The bartender said, “This shop’s simmer-fried beef has always been considered the best in the town of Changtai. If it’s mentioned to anyone within a hundred li, he’ll give a thumbs-up and swallow his saliva with “gu gu gu” sounds. Yet Miss uses it to wipe her leather boot. This...this...”

A’Zi glared at him and asked, “This what?”

The bartender said, “It seems too much of a grievance.”

A’Zi said, “Are you saying it’s a grievance for my boot? Beef comes from cattle, and leather boots also come from cattle, so it can’t be considered a grievance. Hey, what other specialty dishes does your shop have? Name a few of them.”

The bartender said, “Naturally there are specialty dishes, but the prices aren’t so cheap.”

A’Zi took out a silver ingot from her bosom, threw it on the table with a “dang” sound, and asked, “Is this enough?”

The bartender saw that this silver ingot weighed five taels, which was enough to buy two entire tables’ worth of food and wine. He smiled hurriedly and said, “It’s enough, excuse me, how could it not be enough? The shop’s specialty dishes include carp cooked in wine, sliced white lamb, pork marinated in soybean paste...”

A’Zi said, “Very good, give me three portions of each kind.”

The bartender said, “If Miss wants to try the flavors, I think one portion of each kind is enough...”

A’Zi said calmly, “I said I want three portions so it’s three portions. Is it any of your business?”

The bartender said, “Yes, yes!” He called out, lengthening his words, “Three portions of carp cooked in wine! Three portions of sliced white lamb...”

Xiao Feng watched from the side, knowing that this little girl was clearly stirring up trouble for the bartender when she was actually making fun of him. Presently he ignored her and minded his own business, drinking wine and appreciating the snow.

A while later, the sliced white lamb was brought up. A’Zi said, “Leave one portion here, bring one portion over to that gentleman, and place one portion on that table. Place a bowl and chopsticks over there, and pour good wine.”

The bartender asked, “Is there another customer coming?”

A’Zi glared at him and said, “You’re so talkative. Be careful or else I’ll cut off your tongue!”

The bartender stuck out his tongue, smiled, and said, “I’m afraid that Miss doesn’t have the ability to cut off my tongue.”

Xiao Feng’s heart jumped and he glared at him, thinking, “Aren’t you asking for death? How can you dare to say such words to this rebellious little devil?”

The bartender brought the lamb to Xiao Feng’s table. Xiao Feng said nothing, picked up his chopsticks, and ate it. A while later, the carp cooked in wine and pork marinated in soybean sauce were brought up in succession. There were still three portions, one for Xiao Feng, one for A’Zi, and one was placed on another table. Xiao Feng refused nothing and ate them one after the other.

A’Zi only took one bite of each portion and said, “It’s smelly and only fit for pigs and dogs to eat.” She snatched the lamb, carp, and pork to wipe her boots. Although the bartender’s heart ached, he couldn’t do anything.

Xiao Feng gazed outside the window and thought, “This little devil is seriously hateful. Now that she’s following me around, there will be no end of trouble. A’Zhu entrusted me to take care of her, but this ghost spirit can take care of herself just fine, and I definitely don’t need to worry about her. I should just avoid her. Out of sight, out of mind.”

As he was thinking, a person in the distance suddenly walked over on the snowy ground. It was midwinter in the twelfth month, but this person only wore a garment of yellow hemp cloth, as if he didn’t feel the frigid cold at all. In a moment he was nearby and it could be seen that he was around forty years old, with shining yellow hoops hanging from his ears. He had a lion-like nose and a broad mouth. His appearance was rather vicious and strange, and clearly he wasn’t from the Central Plains.

This person arrived at the wine shop, lifted the curtain, and entered. When he saw A’Zi, he stared blankly, and then his face revealed a happy expression. He wanted to talk but restrained himself and sat down at a table.

A’Zi said, “There’s wine and meat. Why won’t you eat it?”

That person saw the unoccupied table filled with food and wine and said, “Is that for me? Many thanks, younger martial sister.” As he said this, he walked over and sat down. He took out a small gold knife from his bosom, cut the beef, and used his hands to eat it. After eating a few pieces of meat, he drank a bowl of wine. His wine tolerance wasn’t bad.

Xiao Feng thought, “So he’s actually a disciple of the Old Freak of Xingxiuhai.” He originally didn’t like this person’s appearance or bearing, but upon seeing that his wine tolerance was quite good, he felt that he wasn’t actually extremely hateful.

Upon seeing that he had finished drinking the wine, A’Zi said to the bartender, “Bring this wine over and give it to that gentleman.” As she said this, she dipped her hands into the bowl of wine in front of her. She stirred a little and washed off the meat grease on her hands, then pushed forward the bowl of wine.

The bartender thought, “Can this wine still be drunk?”

A’Zi saw his hesitation and noticed that he hadn’t picked up the bowl of wine. She urged, “Hurry up and bring it over. He’s waiting for his wine.”

The bartender smiled and said, “Miss, you’re at it again. How can this bowl of wine still be drunk?”

A’Zi’s face hardened and she said, “Who says it can’t be drunk? Are you contemptuous that my hands are dirty? Let’s do this. You drink a mouthful of the wine, and I’ll give you a silver ingot.” Saying this, she took out a small silver ingot weighing one tael from her bosom and placed it on the table.

The bartender was delighted and said, “It’s great to get a tael of silver for drinking a mouthful of wine. To say nothing of Miss merely washing her hands, even if it’s water in which Miss washes her feet, I’ll still drink it. Saying this, he picked up the bowl of wine and drank a big mouthful.

Unexpectedly, when the wine entered his mouth, he felt like his tongue was being burned by red hot iron, and he was in acute pain. With a “wa” sound, the bartender opened his mouth and spouted out the wine. He was in so much pain that he bounced on his legs and shouted loudly, “My mother! Aiyo, my mother!” When Xiao Feng saw him like this, he was greatly alarmed. He heard his shouting become more and more indistinct. Clearly his tongue had swelled.

The wine shop’s shopkeeper, great chef, and other bartenders rushed over when they heard the shouting. “What’s going on? What’s going on?” The bartender tore at his face with his hands. He was already unable to speak and stuck out his tongue, which had swelled to three times its normal size and was entirely black.

Xiao Feng was alarmed again and thought, “He’s been acutely poisoned. This little devil soaked her fingers in the wine for a moment, poisoning the bowl of wine so terribly.”

When everyone saw the unusual condition of the bartender’s tongue, they all became frightened. They blurted out simultaneously, “What kind of poison did he come across?” “Was he pinched by a scorpion?” “Aiyo, this is disastrous. Hurry, hurry and ask for a physician!”

To be continued...
    Last edited by Xaari; 07-07-11 at 09:17 PM.

one word.. EVIL! >_>

Thanks so much Xaari oh and busy + Lazy = Long update (points up) ehehe

Thanks for the update Xaari.

A'Zi is nothing but trouble! Poor XF!

Thanks Xaari! Looking forward to an ***-kicking courtesy of XF, because beating people up solves all your problems! But let's hope that Jin Yong comes up with a more elegant solution...
    Last edited by MrCommunist; 07-06-11 at 12:09 AM.

poor bartender. he should have just shut his mouth and listened to A'Zi's orders. XF should run the heck out of there.

Thanks Xaari!

Been a avid reader of your translation , please post update soon

Thanks paine, SkyWalker, MrCommunist, tweety, and tu22m3f1!

Sorry for the slow update. When I get too busy or negligent, feel free to give me a nudge.

Chapter 25 Continued

The bartender pointed a finger at A’Zi. Suddenly he walked over and knelt down on the ground in front of her. He kowtowed, making “dong dong dong” sounds.

A’Zi smiled and said, “Aiyo, I can’t afford this. What are you pleading with me for?” The bartender raised his head, pointed to his tongue, and kowtowed again.

A’Zi smiled and said, “You want me to cure you, right?” The bartender was in so much pain that his brow beaded with sweat. He scratched his body everywhere with his hands, kowtowed, and cupped his hands in obeisance.

A’Zi reached into her bosom and took out a gold knife, exactly the same as the knife that the lion-nosed man had used. She grabbed the back of the bartender’s neck with her left hand and brandished the gold knife with her right hand. With a light “chi” sound, she cut off a small section of the tip of his tongue. All the spectators shouted loudly and saw that the cut tongue was gushing blood. The bartender was greatly startled, but as the blood flowed out, the poison was removed. The pain on his tongue immediately disappeared, and after a moment, the swelling also receded. A’Zi took out a small bottle from her bosom, pulled out the stopper, used her pinky fingernail to gather some yellow medicinal powder, and flicked it onto his tongue. The blood flowing out of his tongue immediately slowed.

The bartender didn’t dare to be angry but was unwilling to give thanks. His expression was extremely awkward, and he said, “You...you...” Now that a section of his tongue had been cut off, naturally he couldn’t speak clearly.

A’Zi held that small ingot of silver in her hand, smiled, and said, “I said that if you drank a mouthful of wine, I would give you a tael of silver. Just now you spat out the mouthful of wine, so that doesn’t count. Drink again.”

The bartender flapped his hands and said unclearly, “I...I don’t want it. I won’t drink.”

A’Zi put the silver back in her bosom, smiled, and said, “What did you say a moment ago? It seemed as if you said, ‘You want to cut off my tongue? I’m afraid that Miss doesn’t have this ability.’ Right? But now you kowtowed and begged me to cut it. I was almost about to ask you, ‘Does Miss have this ability or not?’”

Only now did the bartender suddenly realize that this matter had occurred only because he had said one wrong sentence. His hatred and resentment reached their peak and he wanted to make a move immediately and ferociously beat her. But upon seeing that at both of the other two tables sat a tall and strong man who was clearly on her side, he felt timid.

A’Zi asked, “Are you going to drink it or not?”

The bartender said angrily, “I...I, your father...” He recalled that if he spoke thoughtlessly and cursed at her, he would very likely suffer again at her hands. Both scared and angry, he ran quickly into the inner room and didn’t come out again.

The shopkeeper and everyone else discussed continuously and glared at A’Zi. All of them returned to their original places and substituted another bartender to take care of the customers. After seeing the circumstances from a moment ago, the bartender trembled with fear and apprehension, and didn’t dare to say a single word.

Xiao Feng was extremely angry: “That bartender only cracked a joke and you punished him to be handicapped for the rest of his life. In the future he’ll never be able to speak clearly again. She’s so young, yet her behavior is so vicious.”

A’Zi said, “Bartender, bring this bowl of wine to that gentleman’s table for him to drink.” Saying this, she pointed at the lion-nosed man. When the bartender saw her pointing at that bowl of wine, his entire body was already shaking. Upon hearing her ordering him to bring the wine to a customer, he became even more frightened. A’Zi smiled and said, “Ah, right, since you’re unwilling to give the wine to the customer, then you must want to drink it yourself. That’s fine, just drink it yourself.”

The bartender was so scared that his complexion was an inhuman color. He said hurriedly, “No, no, this lowly person...this lowly person won’t drink it.”

A’Zi said, “Then hurry and bring it over.”

The bartender said, “Yes, yes.” He firmly held the bowl of wine in his hands and moved with fear and trepidation to the lion-nosed man’s table. Out of fear that he would accidentally spill even half a drop, his hands trembled. When the bottom of the bowl hit the tabletop, it made “ta ta ta” sounds.

The lion-nosed man held the bowl of wine in his hands and stared at the wine within the bowl. He was approximately a foot away from the bowl, but he neither moved it closer nor placed it back onto the table. A’Zi smiled and said, “Second Elder Martial Brother, what’s wrong? Little sister treats you to drink wine, but are you unwilling to give me face?”

Xiao Feng thought, “The acute poison in this bowl of wine is incomparable. Of course this person wouldn’t give into provocation and lose his life for nothing. Even a person with strong internal energy may not necessarily be able to withstand the acute poison within the wine.”

The lion-nosed man stared in thought for a long time before raising the bowl to his lips and directly drank it into his stomach with “gu du” sounds. Xiao Feng was alarmed and thought, “Could it be that this person actually has incomparably profound internal energy and can dissolve this kind of acute poison?” Amidst his bewilderment, he saw that he had already finished that large bowl of wine and placed it back onto the table. His thumbs were dripping wet with wine, and he casually wiped them on his lapel. Xiao Feng pondered for a while and understood: “That’s right, before drinking the wine he had inserted his thumbs into the wine and held the bowl for a long time without drinking. Most likely he had applied the antidote on his thumbs and dissolved the acute poison within the wine.”

Upon seeing that he had finished the bowl of poisoned wine, A’Zi’s expression immediately became frightened. She forced a smile and said, “Second Elder Martial Brother, your ability to dissolve poison has greatly improved. Congratulations.”

The lion-nosed man didn’t pay any attention to her. He swallowed and chewed fiercely, eating eighty to ninety percent of the dishes on the table. He patted his stomach, stood up, and said, “Let’s go.”

A’Zi said, “Please do as you wish. I’m sure we’ll meet again someday.”

The lion-nosed man stared at her with strange eyes and said, “What ‘I’m sure we’ll meet again someday’? You’re leaving with me.”

A’Zi shook her head and said, “I’m not going.” She walked over to Xiao Feng’s side and said, “I have an agreement with this big brother. We’re going to take a turn in Jiangnan.”

The lion-nosed man stared at Xiao Feng and asked, “Who’s this guy?”

A’Zi said, “What guy? Speak more politely. He’s my brother-in-law and I’m his sister-in-law. The two of us are relatives.”

The lion-nosed man said, “You gave me a problem and I solved it, so you should listen to me. Don’t tell me that you dare to violate the rules of our sect?”

Xiao Feng thought, “So actually A’Zi told him to drink the poisoned wine in order to give him a difficult problem, but didn’t expect that this person actually solved it.”

A’Zi said, “Who said I gave you a problem? Are you talking about drinking this bowl of wine? Haha, so funny, I gave this bowl of wine to the bartender. Who would’ve thought that you of the magnificent Xingxiu Sect would drink the leftover wine that the smelly bartender drank. The smelly bartender drank it and didn’t die either. What’s so extraordinary about you drinking it after him? Let me ask you, did the smelly bartender die? If even this kind of person can drink it, then how could I give such an easy problem?” These words were plausible but misleading, and it wasn’t easy to refute her.

The lion-nosed man restrained his anger and said, “Master has commanded me to take you back. Are you going to disobey master’s command?”

A’Zi smiled and said, “Master dotes on me the most. Second Elder Martial Brother, please go back and report to master that I met my brother-in-law along the way and will go to Jiangnan with him to have fun. I’ll buy master some fun ancient jewels and then return.”

The lion-nosed man shook his head and said, “That won’t do. You took master’s...” When he said this, he looked askance at Xiao Feng, seemingly afraid of divulging a secret. He paused and then said, “Master is thundering with anger and wants you to quickly return.”

A’Zi pleaded, “Second Elder Martial Brother, I’m fully aware that master is furious and forcing me to return. Isn’t he intentionally going to make me suffer? The next time master punishes you, I won’t plead for leniency for you.”

These words seemed to emotionally move the lion-nosed man. He became hesitant immediately and recalled that the Old Freak of Xingxiu rather doted on her and really took into consideration her words. He whispered, “Since you insist on not returning, then give that thing to me. I’ll bring it back to master so that I have something to account for. His anger will also subside a little.”

A’Zi said, “What are you talking about? What thing? I don’t know anything.”

The lion-nosed man’s face sunk, and he said, “Younger Martial Sister, I won’t make a move to offend you. Remember our friendship under the same sect. You should differentiate between good and bad.”

A’Zi smiled and said, “Of course I can differentiate between good and bad. You kept me company and ate food and drank wine, which is good; you want to force me to return to master, which is bad.”

The lion-nosed man said, “What will you choose? If you don’t hand over that thing, then go back with me.”

A’Zi said, “I’m not going back and I don’t know what you’re talking about. You want something that I have? Fine...” Saying this, she pulled out a pearl hairpin from her hair. She said, “If you want an identifying object to have something to account for to bring back to master, then take this pearl hairpin.”

The lion-nosed man said, “You really want to force me to have no choice but to make a move, right?” Saying this, he took a step forward.

To be continued...

Thanx ALOT! Xaari:
    Been looking forward for this update..

UPDATE!!! yay! Thanks Xaari oh and not a nudge... how about a chocolate fudge! XD

I miss Duan Yu arc...and he is so unlucky all the girls he like got his father genes in it...LOL

Thanks a lot, Xaari! I miss the Duan Yu arc too... Doesn't it feel like Jin Yong always makes his powerful protagonists suffer misfortunes, while he has the weak ones come up with clever ways out of tight situations? Anyways, here's to hoping XF has hit some kind of rock bottom in sadness and will start making progress in finding the leading brother/solving new complications involving the Old Freak of Xingxiu to counteract the feeling of melancholy.

Thanks for the great update Xaari!

Quote Originally Posted by MrCommunist View Post
    Thanks a lot, Xaari! I miss the Duan Yu arc too... .
    Unlike you MrC, I'm glad I don't have read about DY chasing after girls anymore. I hope the XF's arc will continue forever! ;-) Not looking forward to returning to DY anytime soon.

Thanks szfong, paine, crydee, MrCommunist, and Skywalker!

Haha, I once read a comment somewhere that I really agree with: Duan Yu's story is an irony, Xu Zhu's story is a mockery, and Xiao Feng's story is a tragedy. Xiao Feng is my favorite hero so I'm far more motivated to translate chapters featuring him than anyone else.

And some good news: I recently caught ahold of FP and learned that he's actually still translating DGSD...backward and at his own pace!

Chapter 25 Continued

A’Zi saw that he had easily finished drinking the poisoned wine, which meant that his poison skills were far better than hers and that he also had internal energy, so she was absolutely not his match. The martial arts of the Xingxiu Sect were sinister and vicious, and not a single move gave any leeway. As soon as the enemy was hit, even if he didn’t die he would be seriously injured. After being injured, he would suffer all kinds of torment and die extremely miserably. Except when martial brothers fought with their lives for ranking within the sect, they never exchanged moves or practiced together. Because if they exchanged moves, they had to distinguish relative superiority, and once they distinguished relative superiority there would be casualties. The martial master and disciples never performed their martial arts. After the Old Freak of Xingxiu passed down his secret skills, everyone practiced separately. As for who was stronger or weaker, each person only knew his own level. Only upon confrontation would who was stronger or weaker be revealed.

In accordance with the rules of the Xingxiu Sect, her test using the poisoned wine was equivalent to comparing their skills under the same sect, so it was no small matter. If the lion-nosed man had acceded, he would be subjected to her control for the rest of his life. Now that he had drank the poisoned wine into his stomach without the slightest hesitation, unless A’Zi had another way to turn the tide, she would have to obediently listen to him or else she would be killed immediately. Upon seeing that the situation was urgent, she pulled on Xiao Feng’s sleeve with her left hand and shouted, “Brother-in-law, he’s going to kill me.” “Brother-in-law,” yet another “brother-in-law.” Hearing this, his heart palpitated, and he remembered A’Zhu’s dying words of entrustment. He wanted to make a move to send the lion-nosed man away, but upon taking a glance at the pool of blood on the ground, he thought of A’Zi’s vicious handling of that bartender. It would be good to let her suffer a little and receive some discipline, so he gazed out the window and ignored her.

The lion-nosed man didn’t want to kill A’Zi just like that. He only wanted to show how formidable he was and make her afraid so that she would obediently return with him. Presently he extended his right hand and grabbed Xiao Feng’s left wrist.

Xiao Feng saw his right shoulder move slightly and knew that he would make a move against himself. But he took no notice of it and allowed him to grab his wrist. When the skin of his wrist came into contact with his palm, he felt extremely hot and knew that his opponent’s palm had accumulated acute poison. He transferred vital breath above his wrist, smiled, and said, “How about it? You want to drink a bowl of wine with me, right?” He extended his right hand, poured two large bowls of wine, and said, “Please!”

The lion-nosed man continuously transferred his internal energy, yet he saw that Xiao Feng was cool and collected as if he hadn’t felt anything at all. He thought, “Don’t be pleased with yourself. Later I’ll let you know how formidable my poison palm is.” He said, “Drinking wine is drinking wine. Why wouldn’t I dare?” He raised a bowl of wine and drank one big mouthful. When the wine reached his throat, counter-flowing internal breath rushed up from his chest. He couldn’t help but make a “wa” sound and spouted out the full mouthful of wine. His lapel was dripping wet with wine and he immediately coughed loudly, not stopping until a long time later.

Now he couldn’t help but pale in fright. This kind of counter-flowing internal breath had clearly been secretly transferred from his opponent’s vigorous internal energy into his own body. If he wanted to take his life, it would be as easy as flipping his hand. In this moment of fright, he hurriedly released his hold on Xiao Feng’s wrist. Unexpectedly, there was actually an extremely sticky force on Xiao Feng’s wrist, and his palm was stuck onto his wrist, unable to break away. The lion-nosed man was greatly alarmed and tried to shake off forcefully. Xiao Feng didn’t budge. It was like shaking off from an obelisk.

Xiao Feng poured another bowl of wine and said, “Old chap, you didn’t get to drink the wine just now. After you finish drinking this bowl, how about we part ways?” The lion-nosed man struggled forcefully again but was still unable to break away. His left hand immediately struck violently at Xiao Feng’s face. The palm hadn’t arrived when Xiao Feng already smelled a rotten fishy odor as if emanating from a large pile of dead fish. Presently he struck out his right hand and lightly pushed. The lion-nosed man had used his full strength in this palm. When his palm arrived midway, it actually became crooked, but he was unable to retract it. Fully aware that his opponent had already made his palm crooked, he still involuntarily struck down and heavily hit his own right shoulder. With a “kala” sound, even his shoulder joint was struck.

A’Zi laughed and said, “Second Elder Martial Brother, there’s no need to stand on ceremony. How come you hit yourself? This makes me too embarrassed.”

The lion-nosed man was extremely angry, but his right hand was stuck above Xiao Feng’s wrist and he was unable to break away. He didn’t dare strike with his left hand again. He struggled to break away for the third time but failed, so presently he summoned his internal energy, wanting to penetrate the acute poison accumulated in his palm into his enemy’s body. Who would’ve thought that once this internal energy hit his opponent’s wrist, it immediately bounced back, and moreover didn’t stop at his palm and didn’t even go upward. The lion-nosed man was greatly alarmed and hurriedly transferred his internal energy to resist. But this acute poison-infused internal energy was like the oceans and lakes flowing backward into the rivers. In an instant it passed his elbow joint, charged toward his armpit, and slowly rushed toward his chest. Naturally the lion-nosed man understood how formidable the toxicity of his own palm was. If it invaded his heart, he would immediately meet a violent death. He was so worried that his entire face was full of sweat that dripped down drop by drop.

A’Zi laughed and said, “Second Elder Martial Brother, your internal energy is seriously superior. In such cold weather you can still be dripping with sweat. Little Sister truly admires you so much.”

How would the lion-nosed man have the leisure to pay attention to her ridicule? Fully aware that he was already so unfortunate, but unwilling to wait for death with hands tied, he desperately summoned his energy. If he could hold on for another moment, then all the better.

Xiao Feng thought, “This person has no enmity with me. Although he directly approached me with an evil scheme, why should I kill him?” Suddenly he retracted his internal energy.

The lion-nosed man suddenly felt that the sticky force on his palm was gone. The poison-infused internal energy that had nearly reached his heart rushed back into his palm. Surprised, he hurriedly retreated two steps, his face drained of blood. He panted for breath and didn’t dare go near Xiao Feng again. He had just narrowly escaped from mortal danger and returned from the gates of hell. The bartender was completely unaware and went over to pour wine for him.

The lion-nosed man raised his palm and struck him in the face. With an “ah” sound, the bartender collapsed face-up. The lion-nosed man rushed out the door and swiftly ran southwest. Only high-pitched whistling sounds could be heard from a distance.

Xiao Feng looked at the bartender and saw that his face had become completely black and that he had instantly met a violent death. He couldn’t help but become extremely angry and said, “This guy is so abominable. I spared his life, yet how could he make a move to harm someone instead?” He pressed down on the table and wanted to chase after him.

A’Zi said, “Brother-in-law, brother-in-law, sit down. I want to talk to you.”

If A’Zi painstakingly called him by “hey,” “Chief Qiao,” or “Big Brother Qiao,” he definitely wouldn’t pay attention. But when she called him “brother-in-law” twice, he immediately thought of A’Zhu and his heart ached. “What?” he asked.

A’Zi said, “Second Elder Martial Brother isn’t abominable. Because he couldn’t make a move to injure you, the poison couldn’t be discharged, so he had no choice but to kill someone else.”

Xiao Feng knew that among the martial arts of unorthodox sects was the “discharging poison” technique. After the poison was accumulated in the palm, if it couldn’t be used on the enemy’s body, it had to be struck on a cow or horse and kill a domestic animal or else the poison would return to the body. Xiao Feng said, “To discharge the poison, couldn’t he have struck an animal?” A’Zi had explained it so casually as if the reason was only natural.

Xiao Feng’s heart turned cold. “This little girl’s temper is so vicious. Why should I pay attention to her?” Upon seeing that the wine shop’s shopkeeper and other staff were rushing out again, and unwilling to create more difficulties, he sidestepped out the shop door and headed north.

He heard A’Zi following him soon afterward. Presently he accelerated his footsteps and after a few strides he had cast her far away. Suddenly he heard A’Zi say delicately, “Brother-in-law, brother-in-law, wait for me, I...I can’t keep up.”

Xiao Feng had previously always spoken face-to-face with her, and when seeing her expression and bearing, loathing would arise in his heart. At this moment she was calling from behind him and actually sounded just like the delicate voice of A’Zhu when she was alive. These two sisters born of the same parents had lived separately since childhood, but they had the same father and mother, and even the tones of their voices were extremely similar. Xiao Feng’s heart quaked and he came to a stop and turned around. Through eyes blurred by tears, he saw a young maiden dashing over the snowy ground. It was truly as if A’Zhu had been revived. He spread his arms and called in a low voice, “A’Zhu, A’Zhu!”

In an instant, he thought in a daze of when he and A’Zhu had returned to the Central Plains from Yanmen Pass together. The journey’s atmosphere had been intimate, charming, and gentle. Suddenly, a soft body pounced onto his bosom and called, “Brother-in-law, why didn’t you wait for me?”

Xiao Feng was startled and returned to his senses. He lightly pushed her away and said, “Why are you following me?”

A’Zi said, “You sent away my elder martial brother for me, so naturally I came to thank you.”

Xiao Feng said indifferently, “You don’t need to thank me. I didn’t deliberately help you. It was he who made a move on me, so I had to defend myself to avoid dying by his hand.” Saying this, he turned around and continued walking.

To be continued...
    Last edited by Xaari; 07-21-11 at 08:11 PM.

Thanks! for the Update Xaari!!!

Woohoo.. update!!!! Thank Xaari..

I get the feeling that A'Zi and XF will end up together.. XD
    Last edited by paine; 07-24-11 at 09:24 AM.

Thanks Xaari!

I remember reading a few years ago several opinions expressed on this forum that preferred XF's arc to that of DY, but I didn't know what to expect since all I knew about the former was his role in the Battle at Ju Xian Manor.

Much thanks Xaari. Hopefully, FP will come back soon and the two of you can finish up this great story together!

Thanks szfong, paine, MrCommunist, and Skywalker!

click to show/hide spoilers
    Oh man, if Xiao Feng and A'Zi had really ended up together, I'd be dead.

This update is shorter than the usual length, but that's mostly because I was in the wilds during my birthday. I'm now the ripe ol' age of 19. So feel free to blame the slow and way too literal translation on my immaturity...wait, I mean ripe ol' age.

Chapter 25 Continued

A’Zi threw herself forward to grab his arm. Xiao Feng tilted his body slightly, so A’Zi grabbed empty air and stumbled forward. With her martial arts, she could easily steady herself, but she seized the chance to act coquettishly and fell on the snowy ground. She shouted, “Aiyo! Aiyo! What a painful fall.”

Xiao Feng was fully aware that she was pretending, but upon hearing her delicate voice, the image of A’Zhu flooded his mind, and he couldn’t help but sense a moist fragrance. At once he turned around and pulled her up by grabbing the back of her neck, only to see A’Zi laughing delicately. She said, “Brother-in-law, my older sister told you to take care of me. Why aren’t you obeying her? I’m a little girl, alone and helpless. So many people want to bully me, yet you take no notice of it.”

She said these words in a lovely and pitiful manner. Xiao Feng was fully aware that she was faking ninety percent of it, but his heart still softened. He said, “What’s so good about following me? I’m not in a good mood, so I won’t talk with you. If you commit outrages, I’ll discipline you.”

A’Zi said, “If you’re not in a good mood, I can relieve your melancholy, so wouldn’t your mood slowly improve? When you drink wine, I’ll pour it for you. When you change your clothes, I’ll mend and wash them for you. If my conduct is wrong and you’re willing to discipline me, then there really isn’t anything better than that. Ever since childhood my father and mother didn’t want me and no one disciplined me, so I don’t understand anything...” Saying this, the rims of her eyes became red.

Xiao Feng thought, “The two sisters are both talented in acting. Their abilities to deceive people are extremely brilliant and have really reached perfection. Fortunately I’ve long since known of her vicious conduct and definitely won’t be fooled by her. What conspiracy is behind her determination to follow me? Did her martial master send her to harm me?” His heart shivered with cold. “Could it be that my great enemy is connected to the Old Freak of Xingxiu? Or could it even be the man himself?” But then he had second thoughts. “Xiao Feng is a magnificent man, so how can he be afraid of a little girl’s stealthy evil schemes? It would be better to beat her at her own game and allow her to come along with me. I’ll watch out for any sly tricks she has up her sleeve. Perhaps I can even find out some information about how to seek my revenge from her.” He said, “Since it’s like this, you can come along with me. Let’s make it clear first that if you injure or kill any more innocent people, I won’t spare you.”

A’Zi stuck out her tongue and said, “What if other people try to harm me first? What if the person I injure or kill is bad?”

Xiao Feng thought, “This little girl is so cunning. If she makes a move and injures someone, she’ll use dishonest rhetoric and say it was the other person who made a move first. If it was clearly a good person, then she’ll say she made a mistake.” He said, “Don’t bother with people regardless of whether they’re good or bad. Since you’re traveling with me, naturally no one will harm you. In short, you’re not allowed to fight with other people.”

A’Zi said happily, “Okay! I definitely won’t fight. You can take care of everything.” Immediately afterwards she sighed and said, “Ai, you’re merely my brother-in-law, yet you discipline me so strictly. If my older sister was still alive and had married you, she’d still be disciplined to death by you.”

Xiao Feng’s anger arose and he was about to loudly berate her, but sadness followed. He saw a spark of cunning flash in A’Zi’s eyes. He thought, “Why is she so pleased with herself after I said those words?” He couldn’t figure it out at the time, so he chose to take no notice of it and strode onward. After walking a few li, he suddenly thought, “Aiyo, most likely she has a great enemy who wants to make things difficult for her, so she wants to trick me into protecting her. Actually, regardless of whether she’s right or wrong, even if I hadn’t said anything, as long as she’s with me I definitely won’t let her suffer.”

After they walked several more li, A’Zi said, “Brother-in-law, I’ll sing a tune for you to hear, all right?”

Xiao Feng made up his mind, “No matter what idea she comes up with, I won’t allow it. The more I interact with her, the more advantageous it is for her.” He said, “No.”

A’Zi pouted and said, “You’re so imperious. I’ll tell you a joke then, all right?”

Xiao Feng said, “No.”

A’Zi said, “I’ll give you a riddle to guess, all right?”

Xiao Feng said, “No.”

A’Zi said, “Then tell me a joke, all right?”

Xiao Feng said, “No.”

A’Zi said, “Sing a tune for me, all right?”

Xiao Feng said, “No.”

She asked seventeen or eighteen things in a row, but Xiao Feng didn’t even think before flatly rejecting them.

A’Zi said, “I won’t play the flute for you then, all right?”

Xiao Feng still said, “No!”

As soon as the word came out of his mouth, he realized he’d been fooled. Her question had been “I won’t play the flute for you,” and he had said “No,” which meant he wanted her to play the flute. Since the word had already come out of his mouth, he paid no more attention to it. He thought, “If you want to play the flute, then play.”

A’Zi sighed and said, “You don’t want this, you don’t want that. You’re so difficult to serve. But you just had to want me to play the flute, so I can only obey you.” Saying this, she took out a jade flute from her bosom.

This jade flute was strangely short, only about seven inches long, and was pure white, sparkling, and lovely. A’Zi placed it on her lips and lightly blew into it. A sharp whistling sound came out. Originally the sound of the flute should be clear and loud, but the sound emitted by this white jade flute was extremely sad and shrill, completely lacking in a cheerful melody.

During this time, Xiao Feng’s heart changed slightly. He already knew her reason and sneered inwardly, “Right, so you’ve actually planned with comrades? An ambush is lying nearby to attack me. How could Xiao Feng fear you gang of rogues? I shouldn’t be careless, that’s all.” He knew that the martial arts of the Old Freak of Xingxiu’s sect were extremely insidious. If he was negligent, he would be plotted against. He heard the sound of A’Zi’s flute getting higher, getting lower. Like the killing of a pig and the weeping of a ghost, it was extremely unpleasant to hear. Such a lively and beautiful little girl holding such a sparkling and lovely jade flute actually blew out such a sad and shrill sound. It showed even further how sinister the Xingxiu Sect was.

To be continued...
    Last edited by Xaari; 08-04-11 at 10:30 PM.