Page 57 of 77 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1522

Thread: Demi-God Semi-Devils

Thanks d4rksinz

Thanks d4rksinz for the Annotation notes. A couple of observations for your consideration:

1. When Buddha was exterminated .... exterminated seems a bit strong word ..
    2. I would gather the set of Prohibitions you mentioned would probably be better translated as Pātimokkha which refers to the specific rules of conduct for monks and nun. Sila is translated as virtue or moral conduct in general for both layman and monks/nuns. See: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/glossary.html#v
    3. There is a typo in 'Vinara'. Should be Vinaya. This is the entire code of monastic discipline for monks and nuns and encompass rules, traditions, their way of life. See shttp://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/vin/index.html. You can say Pātimokkha is the essence of monastic conduct while Vinaya is the entire codex, much wider and complex.

As has been the rule: great translation!
    Last edited by LuDongBin; 12-21-13 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuDongBin View Post
    Thanks d4rksinz for the Annotation notes. A couple of observations for your consideration:

1. When Buddha was exterminated .... exterminated seems a bit strong word ..
    2. I would gather the set of Prohibitions you mentioned would probably be better translated as Pātimokkha which refers to the specific rules of conduct for monks and nun. Sila is translated as virtue or moral conduct in general for both layman and monks/nuns. See: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/glossary.html#v
    3. There is a typo in 'Vinara'. Should be Vinaya. This is the entire code of monastic discipline for monks and nuns and encompass rules, traditions, their way of life. See shttp://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/vin/index.html. You can say Pātimokkha is the essence of monastic conduct while Vinaya is the entire codex, much wider and complex.

As has been the rule: great translation!
    Hi, for that section the exact text is:

戒,在梵文为sila,规定佛教徒个人生活上的规范;律,梵文为vinara,是僧团寺院的团体制度和规律 ,两者不同。 (see: http://www.jyjh.com.cn/jinyong/60/mydoc043.htm)

Its not exactly a typo, i just paste the original text.
    Last edited by d4rksinz; 12-21-13 at 07:54 PM.

Hi d4rksinz, was the annotation by the author or by the blog owner? With due respects I beg to differ. The text in context seems to indicate Vinaya (戒律;律藏). Vinara in Sanskrit means dwelling place. As for Sila, pls see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%9A%C4%ABla. "Precepts'' would be the more generally accepted translation for 戒. However, where 戒 relates to monks specifically it refers to Patimokkha.

There are other in consistencies elsewhere. For example, the Buddha experimented extreme aceticism of various degrees eg self-mortification (Vedic practices) for 6 years before he sat down under the Bodhi tree and Enlightenment dawned on him. He spent another 7 weeks after his enlightenment reflecting on his Attainments during which time he fasted. You can find more details in the Nidanakatha and the Mahasihanada Sutta.

The Buddha as a rule forbids extreme aceticism but encouraged austerities, dhutanghas in Pali, of which there are 13 sanctioned practices (see: http://en.dhammadana.org/sangha/dhutanga.htm).

Thanks for indulging me so far, both readers and translator, but as this novel is read by several thousands I just thought I should clear up ambiguities on such an important personage and topic. Pls jump in where I err too.

d4rksinz, thanks a lot, like always.

I don't mean to be rude but is this story finished?

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat9 View Post
    I don't mean to be rude but is this story finished?
    The author may have moved on...though there are eight more chapters to go, but whose counting.. Hehehe

How sad! I've been following this story for years through its many translators and now we have to wait for another translator to continue the story.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat9 View Post
    How sad! I've been following this story for years through its many translators and now we have to wait for another translator to continue the story.
    Sometimes translators may need a rest and being the holiday season, with Christmas, New Year & then Chinese New Year, d4rksinz, may just be way too busy with family/life matters, but one day he may surprise us with another chapter...

Quote Originally Posted by szfong View Post
    Sometimes translators may need a rest and being the holiday season, with Christmas, New Year & then Chinese New Year, d4rksinz, may just be way too busy with family/life matters, but one day he may surprise us with another chapter...
    I appreciate this szfong's outlook. d4rksinz, did you hear?
    lawwoo
    Bonus. A new day.

d4rksinz only did one update last January. I think he will be back.

Where did you guys hear that d4rksinz has moved on?
    He just updated this thread last month...

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    Where did you guys hear that d4rksinz has moved on?
    He just updated this thread last month...
    Haha... I also think the same, he "already" updated last month with a long one. May be because we're waiting anxiously so "one month" feels like "a year".

d4rksinz do the translation since April 2012, starting from mid of Chapter 25. So up to now (Chapter 42) he already translate 17 chapter (amazing!) which takes nearly 2 years. Seeing his dedication to this story, I think he will continue and finish the last 8 chapters within this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Anh Nam View Post
    d4rksinz only did one update last January. I think he will be back.
    some places have exams in january, so maybe he is preparing for those. or going home to spend Chinese New Year with family.

!! whats this i am hearing about d4rksinz about giving up on this translation ..nooo..dammit ..mistah d4rksinz now u listen good ...even if some of us are lazy and our logging into spcnet is a somewhat annual tradition :P ...we do follow this thread (and others) and ever look forward to ur updates with bated breath...spcnet translation thread is the ultimate resource of wuxia in english for non chinese read wuxia fans.... so happy roman?..chinese?? 2014 newyear to U and the rest .. holiday over..get back to translating folks..chop chop.

Quote Originally Posted by sanskritsutras View Post
    !! whats this i am hearing about d4rksinz about giving up on this translation ..nooo..dammit ..mistah d4rksinz now u listen good ...even if some of us are lazy and our logging into spcnet is a somewhat annual tradition :P ...we do follow this thread (and others) and ever look forward to ur updates with bated breath...spcnet translation thread is the ultimate resource of wuxia in english for non chinese read wuxia fans.... so happy roman?..chinese?? 2014 newyear to U and the rest .. holiday over..get back to translating folks..chop chop.
    is the translation really going to stop?
    i've been following it from the begining so it would be a tragedy for me if that was true-even if i can imagine how difficult it must have been...

I hope the rumors are not true d4rksinz. Awaiting your next installment like so many others .....

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

Take ur time d4rksinz. Enjoy your cny dinner n update when ur ready. U did great work so far n hope to see more.

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword View Post
    Take ur time d4rksinz. Enjoy your cny dinner n update when ur ready. U did great work so far n hope to see more.
    my thoughts exactly. happy chinese new year everyone!

I'm so impatient for the next update! Been lurking for years now and finally caught up. Thanks for all the hard work d4rksinz and previous translators!