Page 64 of 77 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1522

Thread: Demi-God Semi-Devils

Thanks infinityex, good of you to continue the translation (with such rapidity)

And I did find another illustration I like and don't mind sharing :
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img33.ddimg.cn/imgother/201408/08_0/20140808103955593.png')
    Or click img33.ddimg.cn/imgother/201408/08_0/20140808103955593.png

Quote Originally Posted by 徐中銳 View Post
    Chanced upon the following when looking for a wuxia illustration to update my Facebook Cover-photo :
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.ylib.com/hotsale/jin_picture/images/image_11.jpg')

Is it Xiao Feng ?

Anyhow, if you like it, you're welcome to download it for yourself here
    « I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. » — 弗拉基米爾·弗拉基米羅維奇·納博科夫

Thanks so much Infinityex!

Infinityex, you are the man! Just finished reading what you translated :P

Default Chapter 44 Continued (Part 3)

Chapter 44 - Foolishly seeking a lovely marriage, but where lies the main destiny? Part 3

Upon seeing that Xu Zhu had an amiable expression and did not seem likely to be about to gouge out her eyes, Zhong Ling was slightly relieved.

A-Zi said: "Mr. Xu Zhu, I’m your third brother’s sister by blood. This Miss Zhong is only his friend. There’s a big difference between a sister and a friend.”

After Duan Yu had taken the Lingjiu Palace ‘Nine-Changing Bear Snake Pill’, his bleeding rapidly stopped and he regained his senses. Although he had not fully understood the exchange regarding eye-switching, A-Zi’s last few words made everything clear to him. He could not help but sighed and said: “Since you had long known that I am your brother, how could you ask others to harm me?”

A-Zi laughed and said: “I have never spoken to you before. How would I recognize your voice? It was only when I heard Father and Mother speaking yesterday that I knew about my brother-in-law and Mr. Xu Zhu becoming sworn brothers and that the one who thrashed Young Master Murong was actually my blood brother. This is wonderful. Both my brother-in-law and my own brother are great heroes, how admirable!” Duan Yu shook his head and said: “What great hero? A laughable disgrace.” A-Zi laughed and said: “Ai ya, don’t be courteous. Little elder brother, when you hid in the wood storage room, how would I have known it was you? I can’t see. It was only when I heard you address my brother-in-law as “Elder Brother” did I know it was you.”

Duan Yu felt that she had a point there and said: “Second brother should know the method of treating your eyes and he should be able to concoct a treatment plan for you. Miss Zhong Ling’s eyes must not be touched at all costs. She… She is also my sister by blood.”

A-Zi cackled: “Earlier on that mountain, I heard you desperately trying to ingratiate yourself with Miss Wang. How did you start eyeing this Miss Zhong in the blink of an eye? You even managed to call her your sister by blood. Little elder brother, are you not in the least shy?” Duan Yu turned scarlet at her words and said: “Nonsense!” A-Zi replied: “If this Miss Zhong becomes my sister-in-law, I would naturally not touch her eyes. However, if she is not my in-law, why can’t I use her? Little elder brother, is she or is she not my sister in law?”

Xu Zhu gave a sideways look at Duan Yu, his heart pounding wildly. He did not know if Zhong Ling was his “Dream Maiden”. If she were not, it would not matter, however if she were and Duan Yu married her, he would not know what to do. He had a depressed expression as he waited for Duan Yu’s reply, the moment seeming to drag on for a long while.

Zhong Ling was also waiting for Duan Yu’s response and wondered: “So this lady is your younger sister and even she says that you keep trying to get in Miss Wang’s good books. It can’t be untrue then that your heart is with Miss Wang. Why did you say earlier then that I am Yue the Third’s martial mother? Why did you even agree to use your eyes in exchange for mine? Why did you call me your own sister in front of everyone?”

She heard Duan Yu say again: “No matter what, you are not allowed to harm Miss Zhong. You are young and always doing bad deeds. Our Dali elder brother Zhu Wanli was angered to death by you. If you start your wickedness again, my second brother will refuse to treat your eyes.”

A-Zi pursed her lips and said: “Heng! Putting on airs now! Speaking to me for the first time, you aren’t being affectionate but attempting to lecture me!”

Xiao Feng saw that Duan Yu was speaking coherently although his energy level was low and his energy seemed to be improving. He knew that the Lingjiu Palace “Nine-Changing Bear Snake Pill” was miraculous and Duan Yu’s life was no longer at risk. He then said: “Third Brother, let us go to the room to rest and discuss. Duan Yu replied: “Good timing!” He straightened up and stood. Zhong Ling called out: “Ai ya! You can’t move carelessly. Don’t cause your wound to open up again!” Her voice was filled with tenderness. Xiao Feng delightedly said: “Second brother, your amazing medicine is truly a miracle second to none.”

Xu Zhu made a few “En” sounds but his heart was still flustered over Zhong Ling’s few emotion-filled lines and filled with great regret.

The group entered the room. Duan Yu lay on the bed-stove while Xiao Feng sat in front of it. Night had fallen and the Lingjiu Palace Four Swords lit oil lamps, while preparing tea and food to serve to Xiao Feng, Duan Yu, Xu Zhu and Zhong Ling. However, they pointedly ignored You Tanzhi and A-Zi. A-Zi was annoyed and in keeping with her character wanted to secretly harm the Lingjiu Palace Four Swords, but when she thought about her blindness and that she would have to rely on Xu Zhu for treatment, she had no choice but to swallow her rage.

Xiao Feng did not notice or care about A-Zi throwing a tantrum and opened a drawer of the stove-bed. Duan Yu and Xu Zhu saw that the inside was filled with toys for young children. There were carved wooden tigers, clay puppies, woven grass cages for insects, bamboo containers to store crickets and also a few rusty small knives. These toys were common to farmer homes and nothing out of the ordinary. Xiao Feng however took the wooden tigers and stared at them blankly.

A-Zi had no idea what he was doing and was restless and bored. She swept a hand through her hair and shifted her elbow, knocking into a cotton loom. She took out her sword and with a ‘Shua!’ sound sliced the machine into two.

Xiao Feng’s expression darkened and he cried out: “You… what are you doing?” A-Zi replied: “This sewing machine hit and injured me, how does it trouble you for me to destroy it?” Xiao Feng angrily yelled: “Get out! How dare you damage the things in this house?”

A-Zi retorted: “Fine, I’ll go!” and she rapidly ran out. She walked briskly in her anger and with a banging sound hit her forehead on the top of the door. She grunted and rapidly kept going even though she could not see the way out clearly. Xiao Feng’s heart softened and he grabbed her right arm to stop her, gently saying: “A-Zi, are you injured?” A-Zi turned and wilted in his embrace, sobbing.”

Xiao Feng gently patted her shoulder and said in a low tone: “A-Zi, it’s my fault. I should not have been so harsh on you.” A-Zi sobbed: “You’ve changed! Unlike in the past when you were so good to me.” Xiao Feng tenderly said: “Sit down and rest for a while. Sip a cup of tea, all right?” He took his own teacup and placed it at A-Zi’s mouth, his left hand supporting her waist.

In the past when he had broken A-Zi’s rib-cage, Xiao Feng attended to her with his utmost for more than a year. Not just with tea and food, even assisting with her dressing, hair combing and personal bodily functions, Xiao Feng assisted her intimately, denying her nothing. When she had been unable to sit upright then, Xiao Feng when feeding her soup and medication had become accustomed to supporting her body with his left hand. He instinctively did so now when feeding her tea. A-Zi sipped a few cups of tea in his arms and felt soothed. She broke a laugh and said: “Brother-in-law, are you still chasing me away?”

Xiao Feng let go of her and turned to place the teacup on the table. In the darkness, he suddenly saw two eyes shining fiercely like those of wild beasts with a vicious bloodlust directed at himself. Xiao Feng was taken aback slightly and saw You Tanzhi sitting on the corner of the room clenching his teeth tightly, nostrils flaring, as if he were about to pounce towards himself to bite. Xiao Feng thought: “This person’s background is unknown and his behaviour is extremely odd.” He heard A-Zi saying again: “Brother-in-law, I only damaged a few broken sewing looms. Why did you have to fly into such a rage?”
    Last edited by infinityex; 08-03-16 at 05:01 AM.

Thanks for the quick update! The more I read the more I hate A-Zi lol

Quote Originally Posted by ninjasam17 View Post
    Thanks for the quick update! The more I read the more I hate A-Zi lol
    She is pretty evil. Thanks Infinityex!

Quote Originally Posted by jinx81 View Post
    She is pretty evil. Thanks Infinityex!
    Thanks to Infinityex for picking up the torch! Wish Xiao Feng would ditch his "sister-in-law". Seems like she's gonna get him killed.

Xiao Feng is a great hero but his sentimentality is just too much for me.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

Great story.

Default Chapter 44 continued (Part 4)

Thanks for the kind words, they do keep me going! I keep hitting roadblocks when translating the monk's archaic ways of speaking, have loosely translated as best as possible.

Xiao Feng gave a long sigh and said: “This home was my godparents’… The sewing loom you destroyed was my godmother’s.”

Everyone was shocked.

Xiao Feng grasped the small wooden tiger in his palm, gazing into the distance. In the yellow lamp-light, his large shadow loomed on the clay wall. He gently rubbed the wooden tiger’s back with his index and middle fingers, a tender expression on his face and said: “This was carved for me by my godfather when I was five. Godfather… I used to call him Father then… carved it by the light of this very lamp. Mother was sewing. I sat beside Father’s leg, watching the form of the tiger’s ear appearing, then the nose. I was delighted.”

Duan Yu asked: “Elder brother, was it you who brought me to this place?” Xiao Feng nodded and replied: “Yes.” While the nameless elderly monk had been reciting scripture to the group, Jiumozhi suddenly struck and injured Duan Yu. The nameless monk waved his sleeve and shoved Jiumozhi out, where he rapidly turned and fled down the mountain.

On seeing that Duan Yu had suffered a heavy injury, Xiao Feng had given Duan Yu special medication as he was anxious to help him. Jiumozhi’s [Blazing Sabre Skill] was extremely dangerous. Had Duan Yu’s internal energy not been extremely dense and strong, he would have died on the spot after his vitals had been struck.

Xiao Feng saw that the mountain’s weather was harsh and it would be bad for Duan Yu to endure the strong winds with his severe injury. He carried Duan Yu to his childhood home, placing Duan Yu on the bed-stove. Immediately turning, he was about to meet up with his father as well as the eighteen Khitan warriors, when he was surprised to find that someone had been living in the empty home these few days, and that it was an old acquaintance of Duan Yu’s.

He returned to Shaolin Temple to find that the situation had calmed down. Xiao Yuanshan and Murong Bo had decided to become Shaolin monks under the guidance of Nameless Monk. Not only had they resolved their enmity, they had even become senior and junior disciples.

Xiao Yuanshan had not spread the knowledge of Shaolin’s martial arts to the country of Liao. The heroes of the Central Plains were relieved and reassured. During Xiao Feng’s disappearance, the eighteen Khitan Warriors were unable to cause any harm under the direction of Lingjiu Palace. The various heroes saw that the matter had been settled and dispersed from the mountain. Xiao Feng had no wish to meet others and begin the struggles anew. He hid in a cave beside the mountain until night before going to the entrance door requesting to meet his father.

The monk in charge of handling guests for Shaolin Temple went in to report. Returning after a time, he said: “Elder Xiao has become a monk in this temple. He wishes me to inform you that he has buried his grievances and his heart is now filled with peace and joy. He intends to devote himself to scripture study from now on. When he was a Liao official, he only hoped for peace between Liao and Song. If the Liao Emperor has the intention of invading, please dissuade him to protect the millions of lives in the two countries.”

Xiao Feng replied: “Yes!” His heart was awash in sorrow and he wondered: “Father is getting old. If he does not wish to see me today, I fear that I will not get to see him again.” He thought: “I have been charged by the Liao Emperor with the heavy task of subduing the South. If Great Song wants to invade Liao, I am a general and will have to defend the North, however if the Emperor wants to kill the Song soldiers, I will have to dissuade him.”

He heard footsteps whilst he was deep in thought. Seven or eight eminent monks including Shenshan and Daoqing came out of the temple along with Zheluoxing (Indian Monk) and other foreign monks. Monks Xuanji (Discipline Hall head) and Xuansheng had their hands clasped in the Buddhist greeting. Boluoxing (Indian Monk Zheluoxing’s junior) stood behind Xuanji as they exchanged courtesies.

Zheluoxing said: “Junior, I will be heading to the West. When we part today, we will be separated by thousands of miles. Who knows when we will meet again? You are determined not to return home to Tianzhu (old name for India). Do you want to spend your remaining days in the Central Plains?” He spoke in Chinese to his junior disciple to avoid any misunderstanding or suspicion from the Shaolin monks.

Boluoxing laughed lightly and said: “Senior Brother, why do you keep asking me this? Tianzhu and the Central Plains are one and the same. Bodhidharma came to the East as well.” Zheluoxing was shaken and said: “Junior’s words have enlightened me. You aren’t my junior, but my teacher.” Boluoxing laughed and said: “When following the Dharma, understanding may come early or late. It is fine whether late or early just to achieve understanding.” The two shared a laugh.

Xiao Feng remained inconspicuous at the side and waited until Reverends Shenshan, Daoqing, Zheluoxing had gone down the mountain before slowly following behind. He had only gone a few steps when another person came out from the temple. It was Xu Zhu. He saw Xiao Feng and was elated, rushing over and saying: “Elder brother, I was looking all over for you. I heard that Third Brother was heavily injured. How is he?” Xiao Feng replied: “Fine, fine!” The two went off together. Before they had gone a short distance, the Four Sword sisters came out from the forest to follow Xu Zhu.

Xu Zhu said that the Lingjiu Palace maidens as well as the folk of the Seventy Two Islands and Thirty Six Caves had already left the mountain with the Eighteen Khitan warriors and he believed that there would not be any reckless conflict with the Central Plain warriors. Xiao Feng felt that this was praiseworthy and thought: “This sworn brother of mine is really amazing. It was my Second Brother who became sworn siblings with him. Who knew that he would be such a great help to me?”

Xu Zhu then mentioned that Ding Chunqiu been placed in the care of Shaolin Temple’s medical wing. The Shaolin monks would give him the Lingjiu Palace medication twice yearly during the Dragon Boat and Double Nine Festivals to allievate the agony he felt from the Life and Death Talisman. His life and death was in the hands of others and he dared not do evil.

Xiao Feng gave a hearty laugh and said: “Second Brother, you have eliminated a great evil from the martial world. This Ding Chunqiu will be under Buddhist influence, but whether it will draw him away from his evil ways remains to be seen.” Xu Zhu was a little upset and said: “I wished to become a monk again in the Shaolin Temple. However, I was chased away by the senior masters. This Ding Chunqiu is extremely wicked and has done many evil deed and yet he can remain in Shaolin Temple to meditate. Why is there such a double standard in our treatments?

Xiao Feng smiled and said: “Second Brother, you envy Old Freak Ding, but he envies you a thousand times more. You are the master of Lingjiu Palace and leading the thirty six cave masters as well as the seventy two island masters, with your great fame shaking the heavens, what’s not to like?” Xu Zhu shook his head and said: “Lingjiu Palace is all women. It’s really awkward being a little monk and not knowing what to do with myself. Xiao Feng laughed gustily and said: “You mean you’re still a little monk?”

Xu Zhu said: “Those sycophantic lackeys of the Xingxiu Sect have turned to pestering me. I have no idea how to deal with them.” Xiao Feng replied: “These people were likely not originally this way. Under the influence of the Xingxiu Elder Freak, it they had not learned to be this way they would likely not have been able to survive. Second Brother, just treat them more strictly and if they refuse to change then throw them out.”

Xu Zhu thought about his parents acknowledging each other in a single day and then dying together. How tragic! He could not help but tear up.

Xiao Feng said consolingly: “Second brother, unfortunate happenings are common everywhere. When I was expelled by the Beggar Clan, the heroes of the world all treated me with much enmity and I was extremely upset. But after some time, things got better.” Xu Zhu replied: “Right, right. Tathagatha Buddha once preached Scripture on the Lingjiu Mountain of Rajgir. The word Lingjiu has its origins in Buddhism. Perhaps one day, I will turn Lingjiu Palace into Lingjiu Temple and ask the women both old and young to be nuns.”

Xiao Feng bellowed with laughter and said: “A monk temple filled with nuns, that will truly be an oddity!”

Both people chatted and as they arrived at Qiao San Huai (乔三槐) house (the House of Qiao?), they came across You Tanzhi just about to dig out Zhong Ling’s eyes and it was fortunate that they stopped him in the nick of time.

Duan Yu asked: “Elder brother and second brother, have you seen my father?” Xiao Feng replied: “Not afterwards.” Xu Zhu said: “The heroes were fighting chaotically and I could not pay my respects to Uncle, truly disrespectful.” Duan Yu replied: “Second brother, no need to be polite. That Duan Yanqing is a great enemy of my family and I am afraid that he would cause trouble for my father.” Xiao Feng replied: “This matter needs to be dealt with. Let me go and seek Uncle (Duan Zhengchun) out.”

A-Zi cut in: “You keep talking about elder uncle and little uncle, why don’t you address him as ‘Father-in-law’?”
    Last edited by infinityex; 08-16-16 at 05:22 AM.

Infinityex you are doing a great job! Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by infinityex View Post
    His heart was awash in sorrow and he wondered: “Father is getting old. If he does not wish to see me today, I fear that I will not get to see him again.”
    Reminds me of Zhang Wuji...

And researching, I find that DGSD was published/written after HSDS. Also Jin Yong is now 92
    « I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. » — 弗拉基米爾·弗拉基米羅維奇·納博科夫

Quote Originally Posted by 徐中銳 View Post
    Reminds me of Zhang Wuji...

And researching, I find that DGSD was published/written after HSDS. Also Jin Yong is now 92
    Yeah I find the heroes overly wishy-washy and sentimental!

Have added a little bit to the last translation post as it was too little to merit a whole post on it's own.

Infinityex, thanks for your translation.....

However, I am ALMOST sure now that the VERSION you are translating IS NOT the latest one.
    Note: the previous 43 Chapters is a translation of the LATEST version.
    Jin Young REMOVED the Bolouxing+Zheluoxing story in the latest version. And the ending wrt Wang Yuyan is changed.

Regardless, it is still a GOOD translation. ....

I remember my uncle reading wuxia for relaxation, am glad after 30 years I'm learning what sentiments he was assimilating Certain strands of Chinese thought comes through the translations just fine

Quote Originally Posted by infinityex View Post
    Yeah I find the heroes overly wishy-washy and sentimental!

Have added a little bit to the last translation post as it was too little to merit a whole post on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by liemkh2k View Post

However, I am ALMOST sure now that the VERSION you are translating IS NOT the latest one.
    Jin Young REMOVED the Bolouxing+Zheluoxing story in the latest version. And the ending wrt Wang Yuyan is changed.

Thanks liemkh2k, I only have access to the raw links that MrCommunist posted:

Raws:
    http://www.oklink.net/wxsj/jing-yong...gon/index.html
    If you or anyone has the updated version do provide the link otherwise I can only work with what I have. Thanks!! Did not know about the different versions.

Quote Originally Posted by liemkh2k View Post

As one of the previous translators, I can say for a fact that significant parts of the previous generation were based on second edition (as is this one). Third edition was not easily available online,hence all of us used the older second edition.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    As one of the previous translators, I can say for a fact that significant parts of the previous generation were based on second edition (as is this one). Third edition was not easily available online,hence all of us used the older second edition.
    I see...
    Oh no the raw link seems to be down! Hoping it will come back up again...

P.S. I liked reading your translations for SPW if I recall right!

Either version can be found here: http://www.haodoo.net/?M=hd&P=martial

Default Chapter 44 continued (Part 5)

Thanks for the raws Whiteskwirl, I'm not very sure how to navigate that site, do you know if they have it in text by chapter? I found a backup of the same Chapter 44 on my other computer so I'll just work with this first. Just a short update... will add on to this post later on.

Chapter 44 continued (Part 5)

Xiao Feng sighed: “This is something I will hate myself for the rest of my life for, what else is there to say?” He stood up and left the room.

At this time, Plum Sword carried in a bowl of chicken broth and was entering the room to serve it to Duan Yu when she heard their discussion. She said: “Hero Xiao, you don’t need to ride off personally to search. Your lowly servant will spread Master’s order and Lingjiu Palace will search everywhere. If Duan Yanqing is spotted to be doing evil, we will set off smoke signals and we can go in and capture him. What do you think?” Xiao Feng joyfully said: “Great! Those under Lingjiu Palace number in the thousands. If they split up the work, it will be far better than the few of us going out to look.”

Plum Sword went off to give the instructions for the search. Lingjiu Palace had a very efficient communications network. Once Xu Zhu returned to the House of Qiao, the Xuantian Section women had already obtained information. Under Fu Minyi’s leadership, they rushed to the vicinity and secretly increased security.

Duan Yu was reassured and then started to think about Wang Yuyan, thinking: “She hates me deeply. I fear that she will ignore me in the future.” He could not help but sigh a few times over his strong yearning. Zhong Ling was concerned and asked: “Does your wound hurt?” Duan Yu replied: “Not much.” A-Zi said: “Miss Zhong, although you like my little elder brother, you do not understand his heart. I see your confused thoughts – the future is uncertain.” Zhong Ling replied: “I wasn’t talking to you. Who asked you to interrupt?” A-Zi laughed: “It’s irrelevant whether I interrupt or not. I only fear that there is a lady ten times more beautiful than you are, ten times more devoted and caring who may interfere. My brother would then have no place for you in my heart. Why he sighs, don’t you know? Sighing means that his heart is unfulfilled. You are contented to be with my brother and do not sigh. My brother’s frequent sighing – certainly it is because of another lady!” A-Zi could not dig out Zhong Ling’s eyes, so she used her words to pierce her and wanted her to be miserable. That gave herself cheer.

Zhong Ling upon hearing this was angry and upset. However, she felt that A-Zi had a point and she became gloomy. When she had been younger, she had always been innocent and lively. Although she had been fond of Duan Yu, it was not a very deep desire, just that she felt that her heart had no words to describe the comfort and joy she felt being with him. Duan Yu’s heart being with someone else and not bothering too much about her was rather saddening. Although she was a little upset, there was nothing much to be done about it.

Duan Yu hurriedly said: “Zhong... Zhong… Younger sister Ling, don’t listen to A-Zi’s blind words.” Zhong Ling on hearing Duan Yu address her as Younger Sister Ling and no longer Miss Zhong, felt that it was a more intimate form of address and was cheered, saying: “She loves to hurt others with her words – I don’t care about it.”

A-Zi was furious. After she had become blind, she hated others mentioning the word “Blind”. Duan Yu had meant to say that she was speaking rashly or without logic, but he managed to use the word “Blind” twice. She said: “Brother, do you actually like Miss Wang more or Miss Zhong more? Miss Wang has already arranged with me to meet on the morrow. I will tell her the words you speak with your own mouth."

Duan Yu upon hearing that sat up and hurriedly asked: “You arranged to meet with Miss Wang? Where and when? What are you discussing?”

On seeing his desperate expression, Zhong Ling knew that regardless of what he said, Miss Wang was far more important to Duan Yu than herself. She was easygoing and straightforward in character. She had been upset earlier but it had dulled greatly by now. She would be very upset if she were in Wang Yuyan’s place but knew that her beloved’s heart was not with herself. Mu Wanqing had gone straight for Duan Yu; A-Zi must be planning some wickedness towards Wang Yuyan. Despite all her thoughts, Zhong Ling said: “Don’t get up, be careful or your wound may open up and bleed again.”

Xu Zhu was watching the three of them from the side and pondered: “Miss Zhong is so devoted to Third Brother. It’s unlikely that she is my Dream Maiden. Otherwise, how would she be so indifferent when she heard my voice?” However, he thought a little more: “Aiyo, that’s not right? The ladies like Elder Tonglao, Li Qiushui as well as Jade Granny, Stone Aunt and Aunt Fu are complicated and think very differently from men. Perhaps Miss Zhong is really my Dream Maiden and she recognized me from the start, however she deliberately did not show any recognition to keep me in the dark?”

Duan Yu kept questioning A-Zi as to when she was meeting Wang Yuyan the next day. A-Zi saw his anxiety and wondered how to mess with him. Thinking that she could obtain some benefits, her answers were all perfunctory.

Orchid Sword returned to report and said that the Xuan Tian Section had already sent out word and requested Duan Yu to be at ease. Duan Yu said: “Many thanks Sisters for your effort, I am extremely grateful.” Orchid Sword saw that he carried himself like a Dali Prince but without any trace of haughtiness. She thought well of him and on hearing him ask A-Zi again about the next day, she could not stand but cut in: “Master Duan, your sister is only playing a joke on you but you take it so seriously!” Duan Yu said: “How do you know that she is playing a joke on me?” Orchid Sword laughed and said: “If I explained, Miss Duan (referring to A-Zi) would blame me for it, and I do not know if Master allows it.”

Duan Yu hurriedly said to Xu Zhu: “Second brother, please ask her to speak!”

Xu Zhu nodded and said to Orchid Sword: “Third brother and I are close. You need not hide anything.” Orchid Sword said: “Earlier on, we saw Master Murong’s group going down Mount Shao and heard them discussing whether to head to Western Xia. Miss Wang followed her cousin in the group. They must be tens of Li away by now. How could she possibly meet Miss Duan tomorrow?”

A-Zi shrieked: “Stinking wretch! You know that I would blame you and you persisted in speaking. You four sisters are a bunch of blabbermouths. Your master’s family is speaking and you have no respect to cut in like that.”

There was a sudden voice from outside the window. “Miss Duan, why do you scold my sister? Lingjiu Palace’s Divine Farmer (Shen Nong referring to Medical) Department’s key is kept by myself, don’t you know? Master wants to find the method to heal your eyes and the only way is to go to the Shen Nong Department to find the relevant books.” The one who spoke was Bamboo Sword.

A-Zi was taken aback and thought: “I’m afraid that what this wretch says is true. Before this idiotic Xu Zhu monk heals my eyes, I cannot offend the servant girls by his side. Should they do anything such as changing the medications, my eye treatment will go wrong. Hng! Once my eyes are healed, I’ll let you learn what I can do.” She remained silent.

Duan Yu asked Orchid Sword: “Many thanks Sister for your information. They went to Western Xia? Whatever for?” Orchid Sword said: “I didn’t hear them say the reason.” Xu Zhu said: “Third Brother, I know of this matter. I heard Mr. Gongye (Gongye Gan) tell the Beggar Clan elder that along the way, they had met a Beggar Clan member returning to the Central Plains from Western Xia, carrying a written proclamation by the King of Western Xia saying that the Princess is of marriageable age and would be looking for a suitor during the Mid-Autumn festival in the eighth month. Western Xia would be inviting all the best heroes in the world to perform their skills. Should they pass the King’s selection, they would become the Prince Consort."

Plum Sword could not help but speak up: “Master, why do you not go to Western Xia and give it a try? As long as Hero Xiao and Master Duan do not compete with you, becoming the Western Xia Prince Consort would be a piece of cake for you.”

The Plum, Orchid, Bamboo and Chrysanthemum Sword sisters were beautiful and bright. Tonglao (Child Elder) had treated them very well, like her own children. Although they were master and servant in name, they were actually more like grandparent and grandchildren. It was only that Tonglao was strict and ruled with an iron fist. The four sisters did not dare to be too audacious. Xu Zhu however was easygoing in his interactions with them. He did not have the strict demeanour of a Master and treated them with courtesy and respect. Hence, the four sisters did and spoke as they pleased without any reservation.

Xu Zhu shook his head and said: “I won’t go! I am a monk…” he once again spoke the words of ‘being a monk’ but swallowed the very last word. The four sisters laughed out loud together at the same time. Xu Zhu blushed and turned to secretly glance at Zhong Ling. He only saw her devotedly gazing at Duan Yu with no heed for his words. His heart suddenly wavered: “Going to Western Xia, I… I and my Dream Maiden met in Western Xia’s Lingzhou Palace’s ice storage area. My dream maiden may perhaps be in Lingzhou. Third Brother probably would not be willing to say where she lives. Maybe I should go and take a look at Western Xia?”

As he thought this, Duan Yu said: “Second Brother, your Lingjiu Palace and Western Xia are in close proximity. As you’re about to return, why not go and visit Western Xia? This sister whose sword I do not know… apologies, you four look identical. I cannot tell the difference. This sister wants you to become the Prince Consort. Although it was a joke, but on thinking about the Midautumn Festival, everyone heading to Lingzhou would definitely mean that it would be very lively and rowdy there. Elder brother, you need not hurry back to Nanjing. Let’s go together to Western Xia and then visit Lingjiu Palace to taste Tianshan Tonglao’s (Child Elder of Mount Tian) best aged wines. It would truly be a joy to be be drinking myself dead drunk with Second brother in Lingjiu Palace.

[Translator note: Duan Yu’s exhibiting some really sneaky cunning in manipulating them to head to Western Xia where Wang Yuyan is.]

When Xiao Feng had arrived at Mount Shao, the eighteen Khitan warriors had carried big skins of wine with them. However, the group was not with him and he had not drunk wine for a long time. On hearing Duan Yu mention about tasting Lingjiu Palace’s best brews, he could not help but smile in anticipation.

A-Zi hurriedly said: “Go, go, go! Brother-in-law, let’s all go together.” She knew that she would have to go with Xu Zhu to Lingjiu Palace to treat her eyes. However, without Xiao Feng’s support, Xu Zhu may not necessarily be willing to treat her and should his four Sword sister underlings give her trouble, she would be all alone. She heard Xiao Feng pause without replying and thought: “Brother-in-law’s appearance is roughshod but he is a delicate soul [姊夫相貌粗豪,心中却着实精细]. It may be easier for me to ask him directly to get him to agree.” She stood up and tugged a few times gently at Xiao Feng’s sleeve, pleading: “Brother-in-law, if you do not bring me to Lingjiu Palace, I…I will never see the light of day again.”

Xiao Feng thought: “To return her sight would truly be a great matter.” He then thought: “While I commanded great respect in the Great Liao, I had no close friends whom I could talk to. I have offended all the heroes of the Central Plains. If I could easily go with these two easygoing and magnanimous brothers of mine, even for a few days it would be a joy. Since I have located A-Zi, even if I return to Nanjing now without anything to do, it would be extremely boring.” He then said: “Fine, Second brother, Third brother, let’s make a visit to Western Xia, and later on to Second Brother’s Lingjiu Palace to drink ourselves silly for days, as well as request that Second Brother treat Miss Duan’s eyes.”

The group headed off on the road the next day. Xu Zhu returned to Shaolin Mountain’s entrance to pay his respects. The first bow was to thank the Buddha for his blessings, the second was to thank the masters in Shaolin temple for caring for him for the past twenty years and the third bow was to bid farewell to the souls of his father Xuan Ci and his mother Ye Erniang.
    Last edited by infinityex; 08-23-16 at 12:06 PM.