Page 8 of 77 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast

Thread: Demi-God Semi-Devils

Quote Originally Posted by markost View Post
    Hi , i know i'm a bot late, but about that chapter title 'All is lost', how about 'impending loss' or 'imminent loss'.

My points: since there are seemingly no alternative, a loss is seemingly at hand.

The loss hasn't occurred yet, though however slim the chances are, it might still be deterred, thus the loss is imminent.
    That, I'm afraid, would have deviated pretty far away from the original meaning.

Admittedly, I did sometimes take some liberty into translating such that I did not (or more accurately, was unable to) fully capture the original meaning in the novel. While the link between 'impending loss' and 'no alternatives' may be quite close, I do not think it right to use it as it does stray away quite a bit from the original title.

Moreover, 'imminent/impending loss' sounds rather mouthy and I doubt I could fit it in nicely into the title which also consists of the part on 'regretting passions/sentiments' (but in the first place, does mine even sound smooth?).

Thanks for helping, anyway.

Oh, i get it now. its not just 'at a loss', but also 'no alternatives'.
    It is quite the puzzle here.

'At a loss' would be close to 'Perplexed/Puzzled' or 'State of Uncertainty'.
    But may i suggest 'Zero Options' or maybe 'Void of Alternatives'?
    Could 'Inevitable' also work here?

Quote Originally Posted by markost View Post
    Oh, i get it now. its not just 'at a loss', but also 'no alternatives'.
    Actually, it's only the latter meaning. The former was somewhat implied through the latter.

It is quite the puzzle here.
    Indeed.

'At a loss' would be close to 'Perplexed/Puzzled' or 'State of Uncertainty'.
    Maybe the whole idea of 'at a loss' shouldn't be here as it doesn't reflect back on the original title.

But may i suggest 'Zero Options' or maybe 'Void of Alternatives'?
    Could 'Inevitable' also work here?
    "Void of Alternatives" ... sounds quite long, don't you think? If I were to combine it together with the other ideas also present in the title, then I suppose it would altogether sound pretty weird. Much as I like to retain the original meaning of the story, I feel that conciseness plays an important role in retaining the fluency of the translated text, which usually gets lost in the process of translating.

For "Inevitable", however, as I've earlier mentioned, the title leans more towards "no alternatives" instead of "at a loss".

Interestingly, "Zero Options" is almost exactly the same as the Chinese phrase under discussion — word for word. But the tone .... It doesn't fit with the rest of the title, unless you're suggesting I rephrase the whole thing altogether?

Hya, I reread the whole thread to find out what i missed: the title (chapter 7) is currently 'Futile Regrets of Inordinate Passions'. Nothing wrong with this, but I thought of checking up, since it's open to suggestions. So I looked up the original chinese at CEDICT, and to be frank, I can't actually make head or tails out of it.
    What i initially got sounded like 'Planless remorse much emotion'. So i looked up each character some more, and i think 'Unseen (unforeseen) Regrets (and/of) Mixed Feelings' seems rather close to the current title. However, I have very little idea what this may mean, let alone whether its a historically-linked phrase, like so many Chinese phrases.
    Anyway, I plan to ask some of my pals this weekend, and see what they have to say.

Duan Yu picked up the horsehair whisk and handed it to his mother and threw Yun Zhong He’s iron fingers into the lake, saying, “Mother, these Four Great Evils are really vicious; since you do not wish to go home, I shall accompany you to Uncle’s house instead.” The Sage of the Hollow Jade shook her head, saying, “I am not going.” and her eyes turned red, as though she was about to cry. Duan Yu said, “Ok, since you are not going, I will stay here to accompany you.” Turning his head, he said to Zhu Dan Chen, “Fourth Brother Zhu, please inform my uncle and father that both Mother and I are combining forces to defend ourselves against the Four Great Evils.”

The Sage of the Hollow Jade laughed and said, “Not ashamed of yourself? What ability do you have to combine forces with me to defend against the Four Great Evils?” Although her son had caused her to start laughing, the tears that had been in her eyes finally flowed down her cheeks; she turned back and used her sleeves to wipe her tears.

Mu Wanqing was puzzled and thought, “Why would Husband Duan’s mother be a nun? Since Yun Zhong He has left, he would definitely return, combining forces with the other three Great Evils to attack; how would his mother be able to defend herself against them? Why does she simply refuse to go home to avoid them? Oh! There are many heartless men in this world; Husband Duan’s father must have another woman, causing Husband Duan’s mother to be angry and thus becoming a nun.” Thinking about this, she felt very sympathetic towards her and said, “Sage of the Hollow Jade, I help you defend against the enemies.”

Credits to Wuxiapedia.

Thanks ani411,

Keep up the good work.

Btw is 411 ur birthday or something?

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Thanks ani411.

It might be age you never know (just joking)

Please do keep up the good work.

The Sage of the Hollow Jade studied her closely and suddenly asked sternly, “Tell me the truth! How is “The Sabre of Antagonism” Qin Hongmian related to you? Mu Wanqing also got angry and said, “I told you earlier, I have never heard of that name before. I don’t even know whether Qin Hongmian is male or female, human or beast!”

The Sage of the Hollow Jade, hearing her say “Human or beast”, immediately felt relieved as she was thinking, “If she was a descendant of Qin Hongmian, she would never use the word “beast”.” Thus, although Mu Wanqing had started arguing with her, her expression softened instead and she said with a laugh, “Please don’t blame me, Miss! Just now, when I saw the technique you used when you shot the darts, I thought that it was very similar to a lady that I knew, furthermore, you bear some resemblance to her, thus leading me to think in that way. Miss Mu, may I know the names of your parents? Your kungfu is good; I believe that you are from a respectable family?” Mu Wanqing shook her head and replied, “Since young, I did not have any parents and it was my master that brought me up. I do not know the names of my parents.” The Sage of the Hollow Jade said, “May I know who is your master?” Mu Wanqing replied, “My master is called ‘The Guest of the Secluded Valley’” The Sage of the Hollow Jade muttered, “The Guest of the Secluded Valley? The Guest of the Secluded Valley?” and she looked towards Zhu Dan Chen, with an inquiring expression.

Zhu Dan Chen shook his head and said, “Dan Chen has only been living in the far south, and has very little knowledge and scanty information, thus, I know very little about the heroes/heroines and elders of the central plains. I believe that this elder ‘The Guest of the Secluded Valley’ is some great master living in seclusion.” With these few sentences, he meant that he had never heard of the title ‘The Guest of the Secluded Valley’.

Credits to Wuxiapedia "Facts and Figures".

Thanks and welcome (:

Yup, 411 is my birthday, with the month first.

Haha, I am not that old, Spidey , although my age does use only these digits.
    Last edited by ani411; 06-01-07 at 10:56 AM.

hmmm... 114 years old?

and thanks for the speedy translation, ani411
    Last edited by markost; 06-01-07 at 01:06 PM.

While they were talking, they suddenly heard the sound of hooves outside the willow forest and someone shouted, “Fourth Brother! Is Young Master alright?” Zhu Dan Chen called back, “Young Master is here and he is fine.” Moments later, three horses appeared and stopped in front of the monastery. Zhu Wan Li, Gu Du Cheng and Fu Si Gui got off their horses and walked closer, falling on their knees and bowing to The Sage of the Hollow Jade.

Mu Wanqing grew up in the wilderness since young and being irritated by all the etiquette, she thought, “All these people have so high kungfu, why do they fall to their knees and bow when they see people?”
    The Sage of the Hollow Jade noticed that the three of them looked rather disheveled; Fu Si Gui had a wound on his face and half his face was wrapped in a bandage, Gu Du Cheng had blood stains on his body and Zhu Wan Li’s metal stick had been broken in half. She hurriedly asked, “What is it? Is the enemy very strong? How is Si Gui’s injury?” Hearing her ask about it, Fu Si Gui got angry and said, “It is all Si Gui’s fault for not being proficient enough and I am very ashamed of myself. I am sorry for worrying Your Highness.” The Sage of the Hollow Jade said rather sadly, “Still calling me Your Highness? Please remember more correctly.” Fu Si Gui lowered his head and said, “Yes, please pardon me, Your Highness.” He still used “Your Highness” as he was used to it and it was difficult for him to change.

Zhu Dan Chen said, “Where is Lord Gao?” Zhu Wan Li replied, “Lord Gao was afflicted with an internal injury and it was not suitable for him to ride a sprinting horse, he will be here very soon.” The Sage of the Hollow Jade let out a soft “Ah!” and said, “Even Lord Gao is injured? Is he..he okay?” Zhu Wan Li replied, “Lord Gao was fighting with Divine Croc, at the crucial moment, Second Madam Ye suddenly launched a sneak attack. Lord Gao was unable to divert his energies to fend off the attack and the blow landed on his back. The Sage of the Hollow Jade took Duan Yu’s hand and said, “Let’s go and look for Uncle Gao.” The two of them walked out of the willow forest and Mu Wanqing followed them. Zhu Wan Li tied their horses to a willow tree and followed behind.

Credits to Wuxiapedia "Facts and Figures"

Welcome (:

Haha , do I sound that old?
    Last edited by ani411; 06-03-07 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ani411 View Post
    ... Zhu Wan Li, Gu Du Cheng and Bo Si Gui got off their horses and walked closer, falling on their knees and bowing to The Sage of the Hollow Jade. ...

Credits to Wuxiapedia "Facts and Figures"
    His name is Fu Si Gui 傅思归.
    傅 is Fu, as in 傅红雪 (Fu Hong Xue from Gu Long's Bordertown Wanderer).
    博 is Bo, as in 慕容博 (Murong Bo from DGSD).
    The radicals are different.

Would appreciate it if you could check the names before crediting Wuxiapedia with it. Thank you.

HYS
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

In the distance, a horse trotted towards them and there was a person lying on the back of the horse. The Sage of the Hollow Jade and the others walked quickly towards the horse and realised that the person was Gao Sheng Tai. Duan Yu went forward swiftly and asked, “Uncle Gao, how are you feeling?” Gao Sheng Tai replied, “Quite okay.” and raised his head, seeing The Sage of the Hollow Jade. He struggled, trying to get off the horse to bow. The Sage of the Hollow Jade said, “Lord Gao, you are injured, there is no need to bow.” However, Gao Sheng Tai had already got off the horse and he bowed, saying, “Gao Sheng Tai pays respects to Your Highness.” The Sage of the Hollow Jade returned the greeting and said, “Yu’er, go and help Uncle Gao.”

Mu Wanqing was puzzled and thought, “This person with the surname Gao has such high kungfu, using only a metal flute, he made Second Madam Ye retreat with only a few strokes. Why is he so respectful when he sees Husband Duan’s mother? And he addresses her as “Your Highness”. Could it be that Husband Duan…Husband Duan is some sort of prince? But this bookworm does things so weirdly, how can he be a prince?”

The Sage of the Hollow Jade, “Lord Gao, please go back to Dali to rest.” Gao Sheng Tai replied, “Yes, the Four Great Evils are coming together to Dali and the situation is really dangerous. Your Highness, please go back temporarily to the Prince’s Palace.” The Sage of the Hollow Jade sighed and said, “In my lifetime, I will never go back there again.” Gao Sheng Tai said, “Since this is so, we shall guard Yu Xu Monastery. He turned to Fu Si Gui and said, “Si Gui, please go back and inform them immediately.” Fu Si Gui replied, “Yes.” and ran towards the horses tied outside Yu Xu Monastery.

Credits to Wuxiapedia "Facts and Figures" for some of the titles like The Sage of the Hollow Jade etc.

Sorry HuangYushi, I think I mixed them up.

Yes I will, thank you for telling me (:

The Sage of the Hollow Jade said, “Wait!” and lowered her head, thinking. Fu Si Gui immediately stopped.

Mu Wanqing noticed The Sage of the Hollow Jade’s expression, showing that she was in a dilemma and could not decide what to do. The afternoon sun shone on her face, showing her radiance; although The Sage of the Hollow Jade was already middle-aged, she had not lost her beauty. Mu Wanqing thought, “Husband Duan’s mother is so beautiful, just like the Goddess of Mercy in the painting.”

After some time, The Sage of the Hollow Jade lifted up her head and said, “Ok, let’s all go back to Dali. I am only one person, and I must not make everyone take this risk with me.” Duan Yu was delighted and jumped up to hug her neck, crying, “That’s my good mother!” Fu Si Gui said, “Your subordinate shall go and inform them of these news.” and he ran back, untying the horse and getting onto it, sprinting towards the north. Zhu Wan Li led the horses towards them, letting The Sage of the Hollow Jade, Duan Yu and Mu Wanqing get on them.

The group of them headed towards Dali, with The Sage of the Hollow Jade, Mu Wanqing, Duan Yu and Gao Sheng Tai riding the horses, while Zhu Wan Li, Gu Du Cheng and Zhu Dan Chen went on foot. After several kilometres, they saw a troop of soldiers on horses heading towards them. Zhu Wan Li went ahead of them and said something to the troop leader. The troop leader gave a command and suddenly, all the soldiers got off their horses and fell to their knees. Duan Yu waved and said with a laugh, “There is no need to stand on ceremony.” The troop leader gave an order for three horses to be given up for Zhu Wan Li and the rest to ride. He himself led the troops to clear the way for them. The sound of many hooves could be heard as they headed towards the main path.

Credits to Wuxiapedia "Facts and Figures".
    Editing and suggestions for improvement needed! Thanks (:

ani411: What font are you using for your translation? I must know!
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I dunno what font it is, but it's definately installed on my computer - all i see is times new roman

thanks for the translation!

I see Century Gothic on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    ani411: What font are you using for your translation? I must know!
    Yup, its century gothic (:

Mu Wanqing saw this display of power and realised that Duan Yu was no ordinary person. She got worried and thought, “I thought he was just some poor scholar wandering the country, thus, if he wanted to marry anyone, he can just marry. However, judging at that rather big show of power, he could be a relative of the emperor or some high-ranking official. What if he looks down on me, a woman from the wilderness? Master has told me that the richer a man is, the more heartless he will be, and that when he takes a wife, he must have a marriage between families of similar social rank. Heng, if he marries me properly, it shall be ok, but if he has second thoughts about it, and keeps refusing to do it, I shall cut him with my sword. I am not going to care how influential he is.” Thinking about this, she could not hide it in her heart anymore and she went to Duan Yu and asked, “Who in the world are you? The agreement that we had at the summit of the mountain, does it still count?”

Duan Yu saw that there were people in front and behind their horses, yet she suddenly asked directly about their marriage; he couldn’t help feeling embarrassed and said with a laugh, “When we are in Dali City, I shall tell you slowly about it. Mu Wanqing replied, “If you dare to let…let me…me…down…” after repeating these words, she could not continue and broke off. Duan Yu realised how flushed her face was and saw the tears in her eyes, making her even more beautiful, making his love for her grow and he said softly to her, “I couldn’t hope for more. Don’t worry, my mother likes you too.”

Thanks anii for the translation.

I'm going to Yunan this sunday for a trip- the travel agency uses the phrase " Land of the Tian Long Ba Bu"

I'll see if i can get some great pic of this place for the translations. (and also if there's any secret martial arts lying around)

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Thanks anii for the translation.

I'm going to Yunan this sunday for a trip- the travel agency uses the phrase " Land of the Tian Long Ba Bu"

I'll see if i can get some great pic of this place for the translations. (and also if there's any secret martial arts lying around)
    Try jumping off cliffs, or ask the locals if you can suck them dry.