Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Some Gu Long characters are sent to assassinate some Jin Yong characters:

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    I'm still favoring JY has higher internals. GL's character some have high internal, but I doubt to JY's level for some.
    No way. I'm not inclined to compare feats from different authors since they operate under different rules (ie. no uniform consistency, contradictions, etc.), but many GL characters, even ones considered 'mid-level', perform feats of internal power considered rare/impossible in JY's world. So while I'm not going to be so bold as to say GL's are stronger, I definitely don't see JY as being more impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    if we're to base XYH and SM off the text, I'm favoring SM. I honestly don't imagine X11L as someone who can last 200 stances against SM. And SM as I said is almost like a living Buddha with full mastery of Shaolin arts. And IIRC, most still say SM is >XYH and some even say the % to kill SM is <.01%.
    I don't think its fair to compare by the descriptions (for example, XYH was described to be capable of overturning the universe...). Rather I think feats are more comparable. For example, writing on stones and sealing acumen without contact are considered elite in Jy's novels but in Gu Longs, we are talking about moving waterfalls and leveling mountains....
    Still searching for my GuGu

Quote Originally Posted by R!chard
    I don't think its fair to compare by the descriptions (for example, XYH was described to be capable of overturning the universe...). Rather I think feats are more comparable. For example, writing on stones and sealing acumen without contact are considered elite in Jy's novels but in Gu Longs, we are talking about moving waterfalls and leveling mountains....
    In GL's world, not only can you make imprints in stone, you can suck them up to make level ground again, seal acupoints w.o. contact, write on metal, blast rocks, produce sword chi, freeze people, remain dry underwater, levitate objects, etc, etc.

The descriptions of GL character's internal feats are just too strange/exotic/scary. But as I say, it's just how an author chooses to write, and not conclusive proof of anything when comparing different writers. However, the descriptions of GL's internal feats are definitely impressive.

Of course, opinions will be formed based on what you've been exposed to. So if the stories one has read doesn't contain any of that, then it's understandable why one would think that way. If people are interested in reading more detailed descriptions of GL characters feats/battles, I would just recommend reading more of his works, especially the earlier ones.
    Last edited by TigerWong; 08-31-06 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerWong
    Of course, opinions will be formed based on what you've been exposed to. So if the stories one has read doesn't contain any of that, then it's understandable why one would think that way.
    I'm only familiar with Gu Long's more well-known works (i.e. LUK SIU FUNG, SENTIMENTAL SWORDSMAN RUTHLESS SWORD, CHOR LAU HEUNG, etc.). The feats performed in those stories don't seem too outlandish by wuxia standards (about on par with the feats in Jin Yong's stories)...nothing like what the cosmic entities of the Marvel and DC universes do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I'm only familiar with Gu Long's more well-known works (i.e. LUK SIU FUNG, SENTIMENTAL SWORDSMAN RUTHLESS SWORD, CHOR LAU HEUNG, etc.). The feats performed in those stories don't seem too outlandish by wuxia standards (about on par with the feats in Jin Yong's stories)...nothing like what the cosmic entities of the Marvel and DC universes do.
    Well, nothing in wuxia will be comparable to the cosmic entities.

Some GL stories contain more impressive descriptions of feats than others. you won't find them uniformly spread throughout all his stories. After all, he tried out many different styles of writing in his career. But even in LSF, especially Gang 9's story, you can still find a few examples of weird feats like having things float across the air or nigh-instant healing.

I've re-read some parts from GL and I think these are small indications of strong internal energy.

1> LXF using only his fingers to catch the knife thrown by YGC.

2> In Sword and Exquisiteness, the 'ephemeral form dexterity' skill

3> several indications in Legendary Siblings

I guess it also depends on what books you read. Like if you read the Dagger Lee series, you won't notice any WOW type of feats.
    But if you go see Ming Jian Feng Liu, Wulin Waishi or X11L, you may see stronger arts.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

I think in Sentimental Swordsman, the indication of strong internal energy was the parts where Grandpa Sun was smoking a pipe at night and the brightness of the light from that pipe, same thing with SGJH later in the final parts of the novel.

But for competition of internal energy, from the books I have read so far, there isn't that many battles of that sort, most of the time GL characters compete in skill only.

And we really can't say LXH does not have strong internal energy, to throw a dagger the way he does I think requires him to have a high level of energy, otherwise if he was just relying on weak energy and strong muscle strength and flexibility, then anyone who met those conditions would be able to throw a dagger as fast as he could.

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie View Post
    the one thing that I see with GL's characters is that GL doesn't really concentrate on the internal aspect as much. If you were to compare JY and GL's writing, you would see that in JY's universe, internal difference is a BIG matter. On the contrary, I don't think internal is as stressed in GL's world. GL is more weapon or a single specialty art.

XMCX can defitnitely hunt down MCF.

Ding Pang....., not sure how he would do against XF. Ding Pang IMO is more intelligent though and more wise in combat.

Honestly, I don't think LSF can kill GJ. In matter of fact, I think GJ can KILL LSF. LSF has the brains while GJ has the better martial art. However, even with brains, GJ is no dummy when he gets in the battlefield and faces life and death situations.

I'm not very sure CLX can kill HYS either. Maybe CLX has better leviation skills, but purely off martial arts, I'm in favor of HYS. And both are smart, so I don't think one side has a particular advantage in that category. Overall, I think HYS>CLX. HOWEVER, if the battle is in water, then HYS is screwed.

Ah Fei on LHC.... It really depends. In terms of internal, LHC no doubt surpasses what Ah Fei has. But then again, GL doesn't stress internal as big as a factor. In terms of sword speed, Ah Fei is faster, but in sword technique, LHC is better. I'm not sure.

LXH on JLFW eh.... I'm guessing LXH because LXH his dagger's speed is unmatched and I don't think JLFW can do anything about it. In this case, speed is too much that it becomes a factor that can cover the clear internal disadvatage that LXH has.

I personally think DGQB wins if he reached overcome sword without a sword. To be honest, I'm not even sure Xiao Yiao Huo can beat this DGQB and Xiao Yiao Huo is rated #1 in GL's universe.

Never read TSH. So I can't comment on this.

Chances that Xiao Yiao Huo can hunt down Sweeper Monk IMO is 0%. Though Xiao Yiao Huo is the strongest in GL's universe, Sweeper Monk is like a living buddha who is almost supernatural.
    You made it sound like GL's characters have not internal energy or very weak internal energy. If their internal energy are so weak, how can these people move fast?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    In some dimension-twisting crossover, certain Gu Long characters are sent into the Jin Yong universe to kill certain Jin Yong characters. Estimate the success rate for the following scenarios (assume everybody is at the top of their abilities):

1. Sai Mun Chui Sheut is sent to kill Mui Chiu Fung
    100%

2. Ding Pang is sent to kill Kiu Fung
    50%

3. Luk Siu Fung is sent to kill Gwok Jing
    0%. LSF will die unless dirty trick is used.

4. Chor Lau Heung is sent to kill East Heretic Wong Yerk See
    0%. CLH will die.

5. Ah Fei is sent to kill Ling Wu Chung
    0% as LWC mastered DG9S.

[quote] 6. Fa Mun Lau (laying aside his unwillingness to kill) is sent to kill the three junior DGSD Evils (he can do so separately). [quote]

95%.

7. Lee Chum Foon is sent to kill the Golden Wheel Monk
    100%

8. Gung 9 is sent to kill Dook Goo Kau Bai
    0%, Gung 9 will die as DGKB is unbeatable.

9. Tse Hiu Fung is sent to kill Yeung Gor
    No chance as YG is powerful and intelligent.

10. Siu Yiu Hao is sent to kill the Janitor Monk
    0%. SYH will die.

But of course he will use a dirty trick. If he didn't he wouldn't be Liu Xiao Feng.

Missouri.slim

Quote Originally Posted by missouri.slim View Post

But of course he will use a dirty trick. If he didn't he wouldn't be Liu Xiao Feng.

Missouri.slim
    True, but GJ has a pretty good track record of catching on/lucking out of dirty tricks. Even with a dirty trick, I wouldn't give him more than a 15 or so percent chance of killing GJ.

I just thought LXf deserved a little more than 0%. It has been a long time since I read the LXF novels (and only the first three), and I am trying to remember if LXF did much killing. I seem to remember everyone else doing the killing for him except for the guy he left in the cage to die of starvation.

Also, I think there is a fairly reasonable possibility of LXF failing, but not dying. He's not too proud to run away when overmatched, and he is pretty good at running.

Missouri.slim

I am surprised (except for the obvious YG fans) that Xie Xiaofeng gets low to 0% chances against YG.

The way I read it, guys like 3rd Master XXF and Yan 13 has reached DGKB like levels and most JY characters short of Sweeper Monk will have serious problems facing him.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I am surprised (except for the obvious YG fans) that Xie Xiaofeng gets low to 0% chances against YG.
    Did I miss something because I can't seem to find where you're getting that number (0%) from ?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    That one. I take 'no chance' as = 0%.

Dude, that was Trien Chieu.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

LOL! That explains it.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    100%

50%

0%. CLH will die.

0% as LWC mastered DG9S.

95%.

100%

0%, Gung 9 will die as DGKB is unbeatable.

0%. SYH will die.
    Sorry you are wrong. For the most part, the Gu Long characters are more handsome than YG, GJ and DGQB so therefore the Gu Long characters will have 100% chance of winning.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Quote Originally Posted by bliss View Post
    Sorry you are wrong. For the most part, the Gu Long characters are more handsome than YG, GJ and DGQB so therefore the Gu Long characters will have 100% chance of winning.
    Ohhh, so Jiang Feng should be able to defeat Sweeper Monk and DGKB together!