Thread: How powerful do you reckon the Golden Wheel Monk was during LOCH?

Default How powerful do you reckon the Golden Wheel Monk was during LOCH?

When the Golden Wheel Monk first appeared in ROCH, he was quite a surprise (to both readers and the characters of the novel) because nobody had expected that there was another, previously undiscovered Greats-level fighter in the world. That means that unless the Golden Wheel Monk received his great inner power and martial arts techniques Hui Juk-style (not likely), he'd been training for years...during the time of LOCH and possibly even earlier.

How powerful do you reckon the Golden Wheel Monk was at various stages of LOCH (i.e. the beginning of the story, the period when Gwok Jing and Yeung Hong were growing up, and the years when young Gwok Jing had his adventures with Wong Yung)? Do you think the Golden Wheel Monk was already Greats-level even during LOCH?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    When the Golden Wheel Monk first appeared in ROCH, he was quite a surprise (to both readers and the characters of the novel) because nobody had expected that there was another, previously undiscovered Greats-level fighter in the world.
    And after Roch, there still wasn't another previously undiscovered Greats-level fighter in the world. There was this amusing loser monk that makes all the heroes he fought look awesome though. Ok, I'm going to run before PJ or Whsie bombard me about BWM's greatness.

Depends on what is great level...the level the greats were at LOCH was completely different from their level at ROCH.

I'm doing this based on estimation.
    Post 16 roch- Level 10 newly mastered for only a few months.
    Pre 16 Years- Level 9 or 8.
    Pre 22 Years- Level 8 or 7
    LOCH- Level Level 7 or 6
    Pre 20 Years LOCH- Level 4 or 5.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

When the Golden Wheel Monk first appeared in ROCH, he was quite a surprise (to both readers and the characters of the novel) because nobody had expected that there was another, previously undiscovered Greats-level fighter in the world. That means that unless the Golden Wheel Monk received his great inner power and martial arts techniques Hui Juk-style (not likely), he'd been training for years...during the time of LOCH and possibly even earlier.

How powerful do you reckon the Golden Wheel Monk was at various stages of LOCH (i.e. the beginning of the story, the period when Gwok Jing and Yeung Hong were growing up, and the years when young Gwok Jing had his adventures with Wong Yung)? Do you think the Golden Wheel Monk was already Greats-level even during LOCH?
    ya, around there, he was almost = GJ, which is pretty dang good. what he lack was just in the fighting style. i think he was sort of a seft taught person and didn't have all the stuff that GJ had. he was suppose to be a genius in fighting.

ah ha! I finally solved it algebratically.
    IIRC, Dragon Elephant Prana Skill gets deeper usually takes 2X the the time it took to master the previous level. in other words, if you took 1 year to master level one, then it would take approx 2 years to get to level 2. Having this in mind, you in theory can solve what level he mastered at what age.

JLFW was about 60 years old at Pre 16 Years, so that means he is about 75 years old(75 is a better # to use than 76). Since most martial artist start at about 14 or 15, I would give JLFW 15 as his starting time. So that means there is about 60 years of training time.

Having the first paragraph in mind, you can make the level one time needed to master the variable x. And lv 2 would be 2x since it is suppose to take twice the time. And lv 3 is 4x because it takes twice the time of lv 2. So you get the picture. If you add it all together, you would get 1023x. 1023x would be the total time including everything before to get to level 10.

Since there is 60 years of training time, we can set that equal to 1023x to get the year it would take JLFW to master level 1 or x. And from that point we can solve everything else. However, plz to remember that to solve the time it would take from level 9 to level 10 for instance, you need to take the difference to get the total training time.

After everything was calculated out. In theory, it take JLFW to master:
    Level 1- about .0575 years or 21 days
    Level 2- 42 days, almost 1.5 month
    Level 3- 84 days, almost 3 months
    Level 4- 168 days
    Level 5- 336 days
    Level 6- 1.84 years
    Level 7- 3.68 years
    Level 8- 7.3 years
    Level 9- 14.75 years
    Level 10- 29.5 years

If you add all of that together, it would be a little below 60 years because I rounded some of the decimals.

And from this, we can get the level JLFW was at during the ROCH/LOCH periods
    Post 16 years ROCH- Level 10 (75 years old)
    Pre 16 Years ROCH- Level 9 (59 years old)
    Pre 22 Years ROCH- Level 9 (53 years old)
    End of LOCH- Level 8 (39 years old)
    Beggining of LOCH- Level 6 (19 years old)
    1st Hua shan Tournament (5 years before beggining of LOCH)- Level 0
    Last edited by Whsie; 08-31-06 at 11:37 PM.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚

Isn't it 1024?
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardor
    Isn't it 1024?
    let me see:

you add: x, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16 x, 32x, 64x, 128x, 256x, 512x. What do you get? 1023x. I even did it with a calculator to check it.

Different calculation i guess... I calculated by 2 to the power of y times x=z

Where y is equal to the level, x is constant and z equal to total time in training...
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

I originally was going to use that method, but I wanted to be more accurate therefore I did the long way.

In concrete terms, what does it mean when you say that the Golden Wheel Monk has achieved Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, etc.? What feats is he capable of at these various levels? To which other L/ROCH martial artists would he be equivalent to at each of these levels?

At Level 10, his AMOUNT of internal most likely surpasses a little over anyone of the Greats. His palm attacks are ~ 1000 jin.
    At Level 9, he is about = one Pre 16 Years ROCH Great.
    Anything below, I can't say for sure.
    But I estimate Level 8 would be ~ LOCH period Greats.
    Level 6 is probably like 1st Hua Shan Tournament Greats.

Hm... seeing this I'm not exactly impressed with the "#1 Tibetan Internal Art" that surpasses even JMZ's Flame Blade.

In concrete terms, what does it mean when you say that the Golden Wheel Monk has achieved Level 1, Level, Level 3, etc.? What feats is he capable of at these various levels? To which L/ROCH martial artists would he be equivalent to at each of these levels?
    Was GWM on par with Iron Palm Leader QQR then at the end of LOCH? From what I know, at the end of LOCH, Kwok Jing was still slightly below QQR was he? Or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    Was GWM on par with Iron Palm Leader QQR then at the end of LOCH? From what I know, at the end of LOCH, Kwok Jing was still slightly below QQR was he? Or no?
    Pretty far below, actually. Kau Cheen Yan at the end of LOCH was at about 95% of the Greats' level. Gwok Jing, by comparison, was only about 70% at that time.

I don't think that the calculation adds up if we use the info that JY provides in the novel. I can't remember the exact text and in what chapter, but JY goes into the usual comparison of "it takes an average person x years to get from level L1 to L2 .... and then says the GWM is a genius and only takes x- years". Something to that effect.

Actually I think it is feasible for someone to start training before 14/15. 10/11 is perfectly feasible. I just t think that 21 days to master level one is too quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    At Level 10, his AMOUNT of internal most likely surpasses a little over anyone of the Greats. His palm attacks are ~ 1000 jin.
    At Level 9, he is about = one Pre 16 Years ROCH Great.
    Anything below, I can't say for sure.
    But I estimate Level 8 would be ~ LOCH period Greats.
    Level 6 is probably like 1st Hua Shan Tournament Greats.
    Work backwards... LOL.

Level 10 - 1000 Jin
    Level 9 - 500 Jin
    Level 8 - 250 Jin
    Level 7 - 125 Jin
    Level 6 - 62.5 Jin
    Level 5 - 31.25 Jin
    Level 4 - 15.625 Jin
    Level 3 - 7.8125 Jin
    Level 2 - 3.90625 Jin
    Level 1 - 1.953125 Jin

(Implies that between Level 1-4, his internal power was weaker than his external strength.)

Anyway, I think there is a faster way to evaluate the time taken for his progress using some mathematical tricks rather than adding all the x's, but I'm not prepared to turn this place into a mathematics forum.