Thread: Swordsmanship will it be a lost art?

Default Swordsmanship will it be a lost art?

In wuxia and in the past, swordsmanship dominate the scene. Every fighter would have to have some foundation and training in swordsmanship. Many Sects and schools devote themselves to this art and even have their own style. Swords were carried around like wallets and very much part of the fighter's image. And those fighters who have master this art would have a bright future.

Despite the historical and fictional importance of swordsmanship, its popularity has decline greatly. I don't even know one person in real life who can use a sword properly besides imitating some moves they have seen from films. And there are probably only a few people in the world that has the skill to be consider a true swordsman. Hand to hand combat martial arts continue to flourish but swordsmanship is slowly sinking into oblivion. If this trend continues, I am afraid swordsmanship will be a lost art, buried in the past like the kungfu manuals that are lost througout Wuxia times.
    Last edited by Yeung Gor; 09-02-06 at 11:39 AM.

well, ever since we have the guns and long range weapon, the sword has gone from a absolute must to a hobby or a gift of the old times to the next generation.

it's almost like the coming of the computer, I don't know i lot of people to have the ability to write with a pen anymore, of course they can write, but it looks like chicken scratch, i think in twenty years, writing with pens would become like the sword in wuxia.

Well, there are European sword manuals (IIRC). Perhaps in the future after much destruction someone will fall off a cliff and find the sword manual and train it.

i japan, sword fighting (or bamboo sword fighting) is still a popular sport. fencing in france is still pretty popular. but other than that the sword style u see in chinese stuff are long gone, they're only practice by shaolin martial art people as part of their routine (i've seen people practice it in vietnamese martial art class as well as chinese kungfu class. it looks cool but i really don't see a practical use for it) the jap style are more realistic, they truely focus on speed, power, reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110
    i japan, sword fighting (or bamboo sword fighting) is still a popular sport. fencing in france is still pretty popular. but other than that the sword style u see in chinese stuff are long gone, they're only practice by shaolin martial art people as part of their routine (i've seen people practice it in vietnamese martial art class as well as chinese kungfu class. it looks cool but i really don't see a practical use for it) the jap style are more realistic, they truely focus on speed, power, reaction.

Those two sport are still not real swordsmanship and when compare to other sports, it is difficult to say that it is popular. Bamboo sticks and fencing both micmic swords but are quite different than the real thing.

I lost all interest in learning the way of the sword when I watched RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.

They had this Arabian waving a sabre at Indiana Jones. He was doing flips and tricks. Indie shot him once and pwned him and shook his head.
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

Quote Originally Posted by resident:alien
    I lost all interest in learning the way of the sword when I watched RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.

They had this Arabian waving a sabre at Indiana Jones. He was doing flips and tricks. Indie shot him once and pwned him and shook his head.
    Then I must ask, did you gain any interest in learning the way of the gun?

Why certainly! I can hit an opponent from further away without having to approach them.

It's more effective Wong Yerk See's finger flicking techniques.
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

I think this question depends on how we view swordsmanship.

Though the absolute truth of swordsmanship is: A sword is a weapon to kill, swordsmanship is learning how to kill with a sword.

But now many of us now view such practices and training of similar skill as learning self control, understanding yourself and just a form of discipline to follow and guide our lives and to help others.

I really doubt it will become a lost art, but now with all the advances and the fast pace of technology and knowledge and information at our disposal, many do not have time slow down and learn such arts.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110
    Actually, once the student of kenjutsu/kendo(japanese sword art) is good enough, they will move on from the non-lethal bamboo sword(Shinai) to a more sword like wooden sword. Once they improve enough again, they will move on to a real katana. By then, they would have such precise control of slashes that they can cut at blurring speeds and stop less than an inch away from contact.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.