28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeung Gor with the Heavy Iron Sword

14 50.00%
  • Yeung Gor with Melancholic Palms

12 42.86%
  • A draw

2 7.14%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yeung Gor (HIS) vs Yeung Gor (MP)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Why on earth would he do that, however, unless he didn't anticipate the design flaw of Sad Palms?
    That is precisely what happened. Except this happened with both his weapon style and bare handed style.

With a barehanded style it's not unusual since a weapon gives an advantage. Martial arts master can determine who's better without resorting to weapons, but that doesn't mean a weapon isn't an advantage.

With the sword, YG made a severe error in believing that he had enough internal energy and internal energy control to be able to use the wooden sword against an equal expert.

I don't know....., YG isn't THAT stupid.
    The only other reason I can think of is that YG doesn't want to carry a sword all around which may be extra annoying since it's huge.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

Why on earth would he do that, however, unless he didn't anticipate the design flaw of Sad Palms?
    Although Melancholic Palms has its minor flaw, it definitely not a downgrade as it combine all his knowledge in different theories to create this advance style.

I do however feel, both style HIS and MP should be used interchangably as each can deal with a certain type of opponent better. Heavy Iron Sword should be use against opponents with weapons, most opponents weapons would be broken instantly esp at YG inner power level post16yrs. When the opponent specialized in hand combat, then YG should use Melancholic Palms, the elusive style of this martial art at close range will allow YG to overpower and confuse his opponents and defeat them rather handily.

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    The only other reason I can think of is that YG doesn't want to carry a sword all around which may be extra annoying since it's huge.
    Well, that's the primary reason experts don't need or want to carry around weapons.

However, YG didn't use his HIS for years because he simply didn't need to. He switched to a normal sword when XLN returned because of Jade Maiden. Thus he regretted not bringing it against GWM. Luckily his SP was up to snuff when it counted.

After YG faught ZBT, he mentioned that ZBT was the toughest opponent to face his Melancholic Palms. This indicates that after he developed MP, YG wanted to test it against different opponents so he didn't need the HIS. Also at the same time, YG knew which style is superior so that also add to the reason he didn't need the sword. But YG didn't anticipate the flaw of Melancholic Palms when facing Golden Wheel Monk, cuz he was sad for 16 yrs, it never occur to him that's where the true power of Melancholic Palms lies. After he realize it, he defeated Golden Wheel Monk. Of course, had YG braught Heavy Iron Sword, he would not even need to use Melancholic Palms to win against the Monk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardor
    I think Zhou Bufan wins seeing as he has reached the peak of perfection in swordplay.
    OMG! Can we stop with the Zhuo Bufan references.

That makes sense. I know I wouldn't want to lug around a sword that heavy all the time.

That makes sense. I know I wouldn't want to lug around a sword that heavy all the time.
    How can it be heavy for YG? He can lift it easily. The size maybe a factor but not the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs
    How can it be heavy for YG? He can lift it easily. The size maybe a factor but not the weight.
    Actually, it is smaller than a regular sword. And black. It does not look like any of Cloud's swords from FF7...
    From Lanny Lin's translation

Although the sword looked dark with nothing unusual, it turned out to be extremely heavy. The sword was only slightly longer than three feet, but it weighed at least one hundred and ten to one hundred and thirty pounds, several times heavier even than the heaviest saber or halberd used in battlefield.
    Regular looking, shorter than a normal sword. A normal sword is typically closer to 4 feet long. Not like the Huang Xiao Ming Ragnarok bullpoop.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs
    Yeung Gor is strong, but that sword is still heavy. I can lift a baseball bat fairly easily; that doesn't mean I want to drag one around with me all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardor
    Regular looking, shorter than a normal sword. A normal sword is typically closer to 4 feet long. Not like the Huang Xiao Ming Ragnarok bullpoop.
    Actually, not neccesary. Yuan Chen Zhi's sword was also 3 feet long. That would mean that Heavy Iron is a bit longer because HIS was a bit longer than 3 feet.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚

Yeung Gor is strong, but that sword is still heavy. I can lift a baseball bat fairly easily; that doesn't mean I want to drag one around with me all the time.
    I agree.

It's like this: you want to walk around carrying a baseball bat or just having nothing in your hands? Sure the baseball bat may be nice, but it does get annoying because you also have to keep a eye on it and find a place to place it whereever you go.

No, that is not the right way to look at the situation. It would be like a cop carrying a weapon, part of being a cop. In Wuxia, swordsman carries a sword with them all the time, they are used to it and also for protection. It isn't troublesome, it is part of the life of a wuxia swordsman. The reason YG gave up the sword is because he invented Melancholic Palms which he felt is superior. It's like when Gwok Jing stop using sword when he learn Dragon Palms. It's more about changing their style. Sword and man are always one in wuxia, so to say it is a pain to carry it around is underminding how natural it is for them. Sure it is uncomfortable for people like us who grew up in front of computers, but we have to look through the eyes of wuxia fighters to make the right accessment.

Default Yeung Gor (Heavy Iron Sword) vs Yeung Gor (Sad Palms)

How would a younger Yeung Gor using the Heavy Iron Sword fare in combat against an older version of himself using the Sad Palms? It's tempting to automatically favor the older Sad Palms version because he has sixteen additional years of experience and sophistication compared to his younger self (and why would Yeung Gor voluntarily downgrade his own martial arts by creating a weaker technique to replace a stronger one), but there was just something so overwhelmingly powerful about the Heavy Iron Sword that I'm not certain that Sad Palms can match.

The Sad Palms are actually straight up more powerful. After he took off from the Passionless Valley, Yang Guo figured out that there were two paths to the ultimate swordsmanship: exquisite technique or overwhelming power. He was missing one arm so he figure that he wouldn't be able to achieve the top levels of technique, so he concentrated on sheer power and trained against ocean waves. Even without using the Sad Palms, the older Yang Guo would have had more raw power than he had when wielding the Heavy Iron Sword. Now if it was the older version also wielding the sword, that would have been a different matter.

post 16 year YG also had a lot more internal
    Depending on one's views of how much internal progress was made, even if sad palms is a weaker technique...the sheer amount of internal might make up the difference

I think the Sad Palms is a much better external than the HIS, so either way I think older YG would win. I also believe the boost the HIS gave to YG's overall prowess is limited (it probably helped him smash things easier). We have to take into account that pre-16 YG with the HIS looked impressive not due to the weapon alone. It's the fact that YG's internal had increased due to gallbladders, and he has reached a new level of martial arts by practicing Greats lvl Sword theory. The sword itself was probably just a sturdy piece of metal to him by this point

I know many will use the "YG wished he had brought his HIS against his final fight with GWM"... I think the reality is that YG really wished he wasn't so arrogant to have clashed head on against GWM's wheels with a sword that he knew was inferior in strength. Any Great trying to block GWM's wheels using a regular sword or any weak weapon would've had the same result. The sword simply wasn't designed to match sturdiness/power against a direct clash with well smelted alloy wheels.

This depends on if you think the Greats improved that much within those 16 years.

Post-16 Yang Guo is still only slightly better or equal to the other Greats, and pre-16 Yang Guo with the HIS is imo also better than or equal to the Greats [strictly in combat ability and not internal, theory, or anything else].

If the Greats all improved hugely then post-16 Yang Guo would win, but if they more or less stayed the same then it's still up for argument. I think the HIS techniques used with the actual HIS (since YG didn't reach the wooden sword stage) is still stronger than Sad Palms if you are just considering the art and not the person.

I do think though that he was more impressive in his pre-16 fight against GWM than he was in his post 16-fight against GWM, though that could just indicate that YG is simply a better fighter and had more room to improve than GWM.
    Last edited by tape; 09-14-17 at 01:34 AM.

In terms of power HIS win
    In terms of weirdness/bizzare move Sad Palm win
    In terms of efectivity HIS win
    So I would pick HIS since YG regret he not bring HIS when fought JLFW at Xiangyang..