View Poll Results: What kind of adaptions do you prefer?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Type 1

0 0%
  • Type 2

8 42.11%
  • Type 3

3 15.79%
  • Type 4

7 36.84%
  • Others

1 5.26%

Thread: Do you prefer adaptions to stay closer to the original novel?

Default Do you prefer adaptions to stay closer to the original novel?

There are lot of adaptions on wuxia novels in both movies, TV series and of course comics. Basically, what I've seen are...

1) Those that storyline is COMPLETELY different from the novel. The only thing that is the same are the characters.

2) Those that stay on the main plot of the original novel (as in all "important events" still happen), but with a lot of other "extras" added in.

3) Those that basically follows the novel, but usually add in an "ultimate boss" at the end for the big fight that everyone's waiting for.

4) Everything should follow the original.

-----------------------

Examples I've seen....

Type 1: I can think of the "Jue Dai Shuang Jiao" (act by Andy Lau) movie. They have crap like Yan Nan Tian is Yao Yue husband, Hua Wu Que falls in Xiao Yu Er...all those crap. I hate these...

Type 2: Recall some people in the forum mention the Snowy Fox 99 where MRL gets raped and all the stuff...

Type 3: Singapore Xiao Ao Jiang Hu basically follows the whole plot, but at the end, Dong Fang Bubai is "REVIVED" from death and became a super demon. Another one is the Tian Long Ba Bu comics I've read, where at the end, Murong Fu mastered the "Bei Ming Shen Gong" and suck up the Sweeper Monk internal strength and became super godly. Final fight was 3 main characters ganging up on him. But the ending is still the same. He still goes mad, and Xiao Feng still suicides.

Type 4: Hmm...I've collected Li Zhi Qing "Legend of Condor Herose" comics that basically follow the novel totally.

-----------

So what type do you prefer and which one is your favourite? Basically, I think Type 3 can be very good if done well. The "expanded fight scenes" are sometimes really cool to watch and it adds the "extra spice" that is missing in the original novel. For example, who wouldn't want to see YG duel with GJ at the end of ROCH (just for the fun). That could be added in without hurting the story.

Of course, SWORD GOD Zhuo Bu Fan fans would probably love type 1 where they make Zhuo Bu Fan reach the PEAK OF PERFECTION and kill everyone he sees.

Quote Originally Posted by WuxiaMaster

1) Those that storyline is COMPLETELY different from the novel. The only thing that is the same are the characters.

2) Those that stay on the main plot of the original novel (as in all "important events" still happen), but with a lot of other "extras" added in.

3) Those that basically follows the novel, but usually add in an "ultimate boss" at the end for the big fight that everyone's waiting for.

4) Everything should follow the original.
    1 It is okay as long as I do not know if it is actually from a novel. If not, this option shucks big time.

2 I prefer this one the most.

3 Umm, will this also follow the happily ever after, good guy beats evil guy, happy ending, everyone is happy?

4 Follow novel is great, but if it is crappy, you got a crappy series.

I choose number two, cause it is just like the novel, but it is different. Sometimes it can be good and sometimes bad. I know a lot of people like this option, if not why in the world people waste their time watching adaptions of ROCH over and over.

And if you really want stuff to be like the novel, don't even bother watching anything. The best adaptation possible is in your own head. Nothing will ever replace the movie that is going on in your head.

I picked Option 2 simply because the media of motion pictures and television are very different from books, and what works well on the printed page might not so on the big or small screen. For example, Gwok Jing taking off his boot and using it as a drumstick during his drumming contest with Au Yeung Hak on Peach Blossom Island sounds like an OK novel idea, but it would look silly on screen. Moreover, although Gu Long's one-stroke resolution of the Sai Mun Chui Sheut/Yip Goo Sing duel was a great idea for the novel, in a film/TV series, I'd want more of a visual spectacle as payoff for the long build up.

4), but with appropriate revisions to fight scenes and minor revisions (but no plot changes).

Quote Originally Posted by K2Grey
    4), but with appropriate revisions to fight scenes and minor revisions (but no plot changes).
    I agree.

Something like TVB's XAJH1996, staying as faithful to the novel as possible with only MINOR MINOR changes.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

We have to realize that writing a novel and making something for the TV is different.

Sure in the novel the writer can write and tell us what the character is thinking in their head, or what their emotions are. But in TV, unless we want some background naration going on as we watch, the only way we can know such stuff depends on how good an actor the person who is role playing and how good they are able to express emotions and expressions on their faces.

And we also have a time limit on tv serials, expecially if someone decided to adapt a novel to an hour or 2 hour or several half hour lengths. And depending on the budget, the techniques available and the vision of the script writers, producers and directors its hard to get the right combination for the best adaptation.

And sometimes they just can't go around hiring someone to play the lead role just because that person happens to be a teen idol.

And what's written for the novel isn't always workable for TV.
    Last edited by MysteriouX; 09-05-06 at 06:23 PM.

I think it should follow the novel as closely as possible. I don't mind pragmatic changes and think they are actually necessary on many occassions. I wouldn't mind if there was minor alterations to some plot as i recognise sometimes it could be improved upon. However, experience has shown they tend to make it worse rather than better.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

i picked option 2

i would've picked option 3.9 (follow novel save minor details) or something of that sort. it's nice having a faithful adaption. but it would only be nice if the adaptions are rare...not a new one every other year! in that case, i'd rather see option 2 and see how creative these producers can get w/o changing the story completely. i mean, being able to recite the next line when i haven't even watched the series would get really boring.

If I did not know the original story, I would prefer 4. If I already know the story, I would prefer 2.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

A nice mix of 1s and 4s. Makes me appreciate the 4s more. Maybe some condensation of the plot, but nothing more.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.