Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gong Li

Default Gong Li

Hmm...looks like there's no Gong Li thread. So, what do you all think of her? I first saw her in Memoirs of a Geisha, and then I went on to see some of her earlier films. I think that she definitely got a lot less negative publicity on MOAG than Zhang Ziyi.

Then I went to see Miami Vice in theatres...she's been pretty successful lately. I definitely think she looks very nice for her age. Her acting is pretty good, but overall she isn't the type of actress that WOWs me. However, still wanted to make a thread on her to get more opinions.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Profile and picture for Gong Li...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.twitchfilm.net/pics/gong_li.jpg')

Name: 巩俐 / Gong Li
    Profession: Actress
    Date of birth: 1965 December 31
    Birthplace: Shenyang, Liaoning Province, China
    Height: 168cm
    Weight: 56kg

Movies (not including upcoming)

Miami Vice (2006)
    Memoirs of a Geisha (2005)
    Eros (2004)
    2046 (2004)
    Zhou Yu's Train (2002)
    Breaking the Silence (1999)
    The Assassin (1999)
    Chinese Box (1997)
    Temptress Moon (1996)
    Shanghai Triad (1995)
    King of Western Chu (1994)
    Lifetime (1994)
    The Flirting Scholar (1993)
    Farewell, My Concubine (1993)
    The Story of Qiu Ju (1992)
    Mary From Beijing (1992)
    Back to Shanghai (1991)
    Raise the Red Lantern (1991)
    The Banquet (1991)
    Ju Dou (1990)
    Terracotta Warrior (1989)
    The Empress Dowager (1989)
    Mr. Sunshine (1989)
    The Puma Action (1988)
    Red Sorghum (1987)
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Actually there is already a Gong Li thread: http://spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=14673

It's just not in the index of actresses yet.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    I think that she definitely got a lot less negative publicity on MOAG than Zhang Ziyi.
    I thought so. Both are mainland Chinese actresses and both played Japanese geisha. Both had love scenes with Japanese actors. But Zhang Ziyi remains everyone's favorite whipping board.

Still, I love Gong Li to death! She's one of my favorite actresses.
    Zhang Ziyi CSC: news, biography, gallery, filmography, forums, more...

Well Zhang Ziyi wasn't as good as Gong Li in Memoirs of a Geisha...That might be why, and that she is more popular now. But then again, Gong Li is getting pretty popular in the US.

wasnt' there one? i'm sure i posted quite a few pictures in her thread.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Mod failed to put a link to the old Gong Li thread so now it's lost somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    wasnt' there one? i'm sure i posted quite a few pictures in her thread.

Oh oops I just checked the index...

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

yeah, i saw the Gong Li thread started by Linda, but since this is the one listed then I'll post here.

sorry for digging up old threads, but i came across this article and thought fans might wanna know.....

Source: asiapopcorn.com
    Date: April 16, 2007

26th Hong Kong Film Awards

The 26th Hong Kong Film Awards presentation ceremony was held at the Hong Kong Cultural Centre on Sunday (April 15).

Hong Kong Patrick Tam won the best director award for his "After This Our Exile," which also was named best film, best Screenplay, best supporting actor and best new performer.

Hong Kong actor Lau Ching Wan won the best actor award for his work in "My Name Is Fame"

Gong Li took the best actress trophy for her role in "Curse of the Golden Flower." This period drama also wins Best Art Direction, Best Costume and Make-Up Design and Best Original Film Song.

Best Supporting Actor and Best New Performer went to Ng King-To for his performance in "After This Our Exile," and best actress went to Zhou Xun for "The Banquet." She was the Best Actress winner last year for playing the lead in "Perhaps Love".

Best Asian Movie was Chinese director Zhang Yimou’s "Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles."

Below is the full winners list:

Best Film - After This Our Exile

Best Director - Patrick Tam - After This Our Exile

Best Screenplay - Patrick Tam, Tian Kai-Leong - After This Our Exile

Best Actor - Lau Ching Wan - My Name Is Fame

Best Actress - Gong Li - Curse of the Golden Flower

Best Supporting Actor - Ng King-To - After This Our Exile

Best Supporting Actress - Zhou Xun - The Banquet

Best New Performer - Ng King-To - After This Our Exile

Best Cinematography – Andrew Lau Wai-Keung, Lai Yiu-Fai - Confession of Pain

Best Film Editing - Kwong Chi-Leung - A Battle of Wit

Best Art Direction - Huo Tingxiao - Curse of the Golden Flower

Best Costume and Make-Up Design - Yee Chung-Man - Curse of the Golden Flower

Best Action Choreography - Yuen Ho-Ping – Fearless

Best Sound Design - Nakom Kositpaisal - Re-Cycle

Best Visual Effects - Ng Yuen-Fai - Re-Cycle

Best Original Film Score - Peter Kam – Isabella

Best Original Film Song - "The Chrysanthemum Terrace (literal)" or “菊花台, Ju Hua Tai”- Curse of the Golden Flower, composed by Jay Chou, lyric by Vincent Fang Wen-Shan, performed by Jay Chou

Best New Director - Daniel Wu - The Heavenly Kings

Best Asian Film - Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles (China)

Professional Spirit - Man Yuen-Ling

Achievement in Film of the Century - Run Run Shaw

http://www.asianpopcorn.com/default.asp?display=579
    Last edited by ghostdarTeal'c; 04-16-07 at 02:48 PM.
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

gong li rocks. saw quite a few of her films and she does look pretty good for her age + she got a nice body. imo she outplayed zhang ziyi in memoirs. films i reccomend :
    2046 (2004)
    Zhou Yu's Train (2002)
    Farewell, My Concubine (1993)
    Raise the Red Lantern (1991)
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Add Hannibal Rising to that list. She's awesome in there....

A few pictures that I posted in Hannibal Rising thread....

Lady Murasaki telling Hannibal about her ancestors...
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://images.fok.nl/upload/070307_115217_hannibal1.jpg')

Lady Murasaki sparring with Hannibal, introducing the latter to the art of the sword
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://thecia.com.au/reviews/h/images/hannibal-rising-8.jpg')

Lady Murasaki and her nephew, Hannibal
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://images.china.cn/images1/200701/379969.jpg')
    Last edited by ghostdarTeal'c; 04-16-07 at 03:28 PM.

More of Gong Li's Lady Murasaki

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/7/74/180px-LadyMurasaki.PNG')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.thecinemasource.com/moviesdb/images/Gong_Li_Hannibal_Rising.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.horror-movies.ca/albums/Hannibal_Rising/HannibalRising-24.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img1.mtime.com/up/592/304592/771625e6-2d78-4747-b682-d1d9b236b6fe.jpg')

Yes, that's Lady Murasaki *almost* kissing her nephew, soon to-be Dr. Lecter
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://image.ifrance.com/cinema/film/0/6/61260-1-hannibal-lecter-les-origines-du-mal.jpg?1966505949')
    Last edited by ghostdarTeal'c; 04-16-07 at 03:53 PM.
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

she is one hot momma..i think she looks very nice for a woman for 40. SHe was really hot in Hannibal rising... I think she was the ONLY reason for me to keep watching

She has a nice body and nice rack
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

She was great in 'Hannibal Rising' and Dr. Lector was pretty charming himself in a twisted way. Love the movie!

I think that Gong Li has the perfect body that curves like an hourglass with perfect proportions. I would love to have a body like hers

great actress!
    大爺來了﹗

想唱就唱, 唱得向亮! 力揚加油

MAGIC SHOOTER HISASHI MITSUI!

I like her older shows There is one show of her where she acted two different roles in a ancient series' show.There are 3 ladies who are siblings and there is someone called Xiao Yao Zi in the show if I'm not wrong.She acted out as both twins.They three had some kind of special powers and I thought the plot ws interesting.

She's DEFINITELY better than Zhang Ziyi She had the dominant figure and cool look which is

Quote Originally Posted by Raenon

She's DEFINITELY better than Zhang Ziyi She had the dominant figure and cool look which is
    have to agree on that used to like zzy but then she performed the same roles over n over again...
    大爺來了﹗

想唱就唱, 唱得向亮! 力揚加油

MAGIC SHOOTER HISASHI MITSUI!

Well, actually it's quite unfair to compare Gong Li to Zhang Ziyi . Zhang Ziyi has a long way ahead of her. It's like comparing Empress Phoenix to the shit-I-did-my-own-brother Chan the palace maid. I am in no way a fan of Zhang Ziyi, in fact, I would at most avoid her movies (maybe due to the fact she carry this same facial expression in most of her roles? ), but still, to compare a junior to a senior is quite unfair. Perhaps if we give her another ten years, when she's been thru the ups and downs of the industry, then it would be a somewhat fair comparison.

I've only seen a few of Gong Li's movies, but that's enough to say that i'm beginning to lean into her fanclub....
    Last edited by ghostdarTeal'c; 04-19-07 at 03:01 PM.

Gong Li is a great actress. I love her in every single role she played that I saw.
    Hi ya!!

Fancy Ady,adore Yang Mi, admire Jiang Xin, love Jimmy and dream about Hu Ge.
    Ruby Lin Forever!!!
    Gao Yuan Yuan is my Goddess!

I think Hollywood is starting to prefer Gong Li over Zhang Ziyi as well...not to mention that Gong Li has more than Zhang Ziyi to offer in a man's favourite department.

However, I agree with ghostdarTeal'c (which I managed to type out) that you can't compare Gong Li to Zhang Ziyi, or really to most actresses in the industry now. She's just so much more experienced. I haven't seen many of Gong Li's early movies though, so I have no idea how she started out. Any big Gong Li fan want to comment on her early works?