Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: All Xiao Long Nu Versions

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cutiekhmergirl View Post
    LOL! This is probably a discussion that will never end.

Between Idy, Carman, and LYF, they all have different looks. Idy Chan has a classic, beautiful type look. Carman has more of a mature, stunning beauty. LYF has an adorable, cute and flawless look. Between Carman and LYF, Carman is prettier in my opinion. I think Idy Chan is a goddess! Both Idy Chan and Carman are stunning beauties.

Terms of which XLN I perferred, it would be Carman's over LYF's. Carman portrayed the character extremely well. She was icy cold and heartless at first and later turned to a tender warm hearted person. Her acting is simple and natural. She also had the best comtume and hairstyle as XLN, simple! LYF's portrayal wasn't all too bad. She was obviously young and cute. At times she was emotional and she acted that well.

Louis Koo was alright as YG. He's always been one of my favourite actors and Im sure that he could have done better with this role. Huang Xiao Ming is one of my favourite Mainland actors. I thought her acted alright as YG as well. I must admit, HXM was annoying at times so watching Louis was much better. Louis Koo was a better YG in my perspective. Terms of look, Louis wins but I think both are handsome in general

When comparing the 95 and 06 version, I perfer the 1995 version. Of course, it had a much better and convicing cast. Seriously, so many characters were miscasted in the Mainland version. In terms of look or acting, they didn't fit their role. I thought the costumes and hairstyles were wack! TVB costumes are always much more simple and beautiful. The fighting scenes in the 2006 one was more impressive though. I loved how XLN fighted. LYF was very flexible and elegant. I was quite impressed. Besides that, there was too much effects which I didn;t like.

I only managed to watch some parts of the 06 versions mainly to watch how HXM and LYF portrayed the characters. It was better than what I had expected, considering I rarely ever watch Mainland's adaptions of JY novels. However, it still didn't stand out to me.

But, Idy Chan is and always will be my favourite XLN for various reasons. The 1983 adaption is also my favourite. It really annoys me seeing people say, oh that version is too old to watch, newer adaptions are obviously better. Well, not exactly. I mean, it was back in the early 80's. There wasn't much technology yet, the 1983 adaption still was very well produced. I personally think that the even the 2006 version with all the effects can't even compare to this one.

The 1983 Version has the best cast! Andy Lau is simply the best YG! He acted from a young witty to a mature YG without overacting or exagerating it. But I think the costumes and looks of Louis Koo is better then Andy. Idy Chan, simply amazing! XLN is not an easy role to play because of the different traits and emotions needed to be portrayed. I personally find this character to be boring. Carman acted very well as XLN and perhaps, the closests to the novel but I did find her boring to watch. Where as Idy, she had the mixture of everything. She was emotional and sometimes cold hearted but she was also innocent and loving at the same time. I didn't find her XLN boring to watch at all. Everyone else acted excellent. I perfer this cast over the 95. I'd only say, I like Theresa Lee's Guo Xiang better than the actress in the 83 version. This one was too old, had too much make up for a 16 year old, couldn't really act and was some what annoying. Theresa was much more cuter and was able to bring out Guo Xiang charisma within a short time. Same goes for Lu Wushang and her cousin. The hand to hand fighting scenes were awesome! The music was memorable. Not to mention, the chemistry between Andy and Idy was amazing! I absolutely adore this couple!

So, IMP:

The best XLN terms of acting - Idy Chan
    Terms of looks - Carman Lee
    Best YG - Andy Lau
    Terms of looks - Louis Koo
    Best chemistry - Andy & Idy
    Best looking couple - Louis & Carman
    Very well said cutiekhmergirl . I totally agreed with what you've stated above. I also think between Carman and LYF, Carman is prettier and acts much better.

Of course, XLN best acting is Idy Chan and XLN best appearance is Carman Lee.

Best Chemistry is Idy & Andy

Best Looking Couple ever!! is Carman & Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jin Yong1 View Post
    Here's the ending comparsion between ROCH 06 and 95.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/3904/endcompareun5.jpg')

Honestly for the ending I likes the '95 better because it's closer to the novel and more memorable.
    The ending from ROCH 06 reminded me of the ending from another series....umm....Lubu Yu Diaochan, which was a complete rewrite of the historical figure Lubu (nevertheless, I still enjoyed the series).

One word: corny. It sorta worked in Lubu Yu Diaochan, but not in ROCH 06.

Quote Originally Posted by crazylife123 View Post
    Nothing great about her performance. Stiff as hell. She just looks cold( easy to do just dont show any emotion ).

Her career went down the drain after ROCH. Even the damn 'Twins' are in better positions.
    Not sure that Twins is in any better position now.......

Quote Originally Posted by j-walker View Post
    It looks like the guy is 2x's older than she is. It seems like a brother having romantic thoughts of her sister.
    And he probably was two times older than she was in real life.

ROCH 95 is still one of my most favorite wuxia series ever. Even if it was low-budget and my old HS's eagle mascot looked better than the stuffed condor from the series, it was still very memorable, thanks in part to the incredible chemistry between Louis and Carman.

For me, even though Louis was handsome and dashing, Carman was the one who held up the series. She was charming, beautiful, simple, graceful, and everything else that I imagined XLN to be. She might seem stiff, but I could feel everything from her eyes. Now that's what I call true acting.

Quote Originally Posted by crazylife123 View Post
    Nothing great about her performance. Stiff as hell. She just looks cold( easy to do just dont show any emotion ).

Her career went down the drain after ROCH. Even the damn 'Twins' are in better positions.
    You do realize she was playing XLN? Do you even know the backstory ?

Carman Lee stopped working for a while so her "career went down the drain."

She was also very popular when she did DGSD 97.

i have actually watched all the ROCH series..my thoughts on XLN....

Carmen did a great job as XLN and i believe she is the best XLN up-to-date.
    She fit the role perfectly. She was beautiful, cold, heartless at 1st, and elegant. And i like how she can cries so well with the tears. we must remember that XLN grew up without any emotions. even though her character changes over the story, you can't expect the XLN to suddenly become so well emotional. Carmen was able to protray the coldness while being emotional, that's was very nice~ (does anyone understand what i mean?)

as for others XLN in the past..

when i watch Idy as XLN, i felt she was b*tchy most of the time..she was just a mean XLN...but beside that , i do feel she was beautiful, when she doesn't talk or when she is sad, she does seem like the XLN in the book....she does have the coldness and icy look at time to time..

for LYF, the girl has a face of a baby...i was thinking WTF when they casted her as XLN....she would've been a better fit as the role of Gou Fu or even better, Gou Xiang. She has that cuteness and innocent look that i can't take her seriously as XLN. i felt like she's the 10 yrs old verison of what XLN would look like....

as for Fann Wong, 1st i must say, what is up with her hair style? anyway...She wasn't that pretty for the role, but i rather watch her then LYF....Her acting was ok, it wasnt so bad, but it wasnt so memoriable....not much i can comment, it's one of those film where u watch because ur a fan of the story...and when its end, you move on with no memory of it...

my 1st ROCH that i watched was actually the taiwannese verison of Pan Ying Zi ( Phanh Nghinh Tu, Vivian Fann?) I love the storyline and that what got me finishing the series...as for Pan Ying Zi as XLN, she was beautiful and way too elegant..she made XLN seem too girly.

out of all the ROCH i watched, my fav is the 95 verison. though i did wish they protay Yang Guo a young boy instead of having Louis acting "young"....

my less fav was the 06 verison due too all the graphic and "special effects". i guess i like things plain and simple and get to the point....when it take 5 mins to watch someone fly across the room in slow motion with every angle of their face shown thousand of times, it was just too much....
    it was too fancy...and dragged out...and mostly, too cheezy for me...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by krazilinni View Post
    i have actually watched all the ROCH series..my thoughts on XLN....

Carmen did a great job as XLN and i believe she is the best XLN up-to-date.
    She fit the role perfectly. She was beautiful, cold, heartless at 1st, and elegant. And i like how she can cries so well with the tears. we must remember that XLN grew up without any emotions. even though her character changes over the story, you can't expect the XLN to suddenly become so well emotional. Carmen was able to protray the coldness while being emotional, that's was very nice~ (does anyone understand what i mean?)
    Well very said Krazilinni!

Oh yeah, I totally understand what your meaning is, krazilinni. I was thinking exactly the same thing too. I've watched ALL ROCH Versions and Carman Lee is the BEST XLN in both appearance and acting.

Quote Originally Posted by krazilinni View Post
    my less fav was the 06 verison due too all the graphic and "special effects". i guess i like things plain and simple and get to the point....when it take 5 mins to watch someone fly across the room in slow motion with every angle of their face shown thousand of times, it was just too much....it was too fancy...and dragged out...and mostly, too cheezy for me...
    Again, I was thinking exactly the same thing here. Before ROCH06 came out I was expecting a lot on it since it's a big budget series. But after it came out I immediately see it and what do you have, it was a Big Disappointment. The acting is the BIGGEST Failure here. The 2nd Failure is the too-much CGs, fancy, draggy, and cheezy for me. The ROCH98 Taiwan(black cloth XLN version), their acting is even better than ROCH06 China version.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    ROCH 95 is still one of my most favorite wuxia series ever. Even if it was low-budget and my old HS's eagle mascot looked better than the stuffed condor from the series, it was still very memorable, thanks in part to the incredible chemistry between Louis and Carman.

For me, even though Louis was handsome and dashing, Carman was the one who held up the series. She was charming, beautiful, simple, graceful, and everything else that I imagined XLN to be. She might seem stiff, but I could feel everything from her eyes. Now that's what I call true acting.
    What you stated above, jadebunny9, I was thinking exactly the same thing. Carman's XLN protrayal is the closest to the novel described that is why her version is soo memorable. And the Prettiest YG-XLN couple gotta have to be Louis and Carman. Louis acting is not as good as Carman, she did a much better job than him. ROCH95 being helped by Carman a lot, cause without her this version is the worst of all.
    Last edited by Pharaoh; 08-25-08 at 07:03 PM.

well, i prefer Carmen's version cause she does look & r able to convey the right "feel" for XLN
    i watched ROCH 06 bcause of all the "praises" i heard from others (should have known better)
    & just bcause LYF's version got a bigger budget, with great scenery & so-called better CGI does not make it a better version
    i find her protrayal of XLN too "unrealistic" (what's with her so-called martial arts / dancing things ) , not to mention felt ZERO chemistry between her & HXM (pls don't get me start with this 1)

i still think Idy is pretty enough dispite the bad make up and tech back then. You could still see that's she's pretty. Anyway if out of those two i would say LYF have a more pretty pretty XLN look then carmen. but carmen does look more older then Lousis and she pretrayed a more suitable XLN. She seems heartly and doesn't care for the world except for her yang guo. Despite the boring role it's still entertaining to watch. LYF smile too much but more stunny look and tech make up for it. She isn't too bad either though. But i prefer Lousis (sorry couldn't spell his name) as yang guo more.

LYF indeed the prettiest XLN but the problem is she looks too young and way different from XLN i pictured from the novel, her looks was fit when YG was still a child, but not when YG had grown up, just my thought

i don't see how tat can be when XLN was describe to look very young for her age. she thought on face value, she looked very much like the character from the book. i had at first thought she looked to young but then i went and read the book again and realised tat she was suppose to look like tat.

out off all the XLN and YG's i didn't like any. i like them at first but then after a while you start to see the bad side of it, what they lacked, what wasn't rite. i ended up not liking all of them. they was just not XLN.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

She is certainly very gorgeous, one of the most beautiful actresses ever (even if the makeup back then doesn't really do her much justice).

Banned

Same angel....06 vs 95

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7248/comil6.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5942/comphp8.jpg')
    Last edited by Pharaoh; 11-18-08 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
    Same angel....06 vs 95

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7248/comil6.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5942/comphp8.jpg')
    whos the guy in the 95 version?
    *HXM is hot

ChineseChik525, the guy in the 95 version is Louis Koo Tin Lok

Quote Originally Posted by cutiekhmergirl View Post
    So, IMP:

The best XLN terms of acting - Idy Chan
    Terms of looks - Carman Lee
    Best YG - Andy Lau
    Terms of looks - Louis Koo
    Best chemistry - Andy & Idy
    Best looking couple - Louis & Carman
    Agree. Even though I am not a big fan of ROCH, I agree that Idy is still the best SLN. For people who are really into special effects, then don't watch ROCH83, because the series lack of it. As for myself, I enjoy slow hand fight and don't care about special effects. Wuxia heroes are fighters not magicians so hand fight is more appropriate.

Idy Chan: Since she was in the first ROCH that I've seen, I thought she did a good job. However, I thought Andy Lau stole the show more than she did and she just happened to be on the right ship. I don't think Idy was ever that beautiful or even pretty. She was just ok physically. Her acting must've been good because people still praise her for it but her latest serie with Daman Lau (Catch Me Now) destroyed her image in my mind.

Carmen Lee:
    Indeed she is beautiful, but can she act? No. I thought she and Louis were probably like prom king and prom queen with not enough talents to pull these roles off like Idy and Andy did. However, since Idy and Andy pretty much set the standard it was hard for anyone to follow after.

Fann Wong: She was not beautiful, just cute, and therefore, not the most suitable for this role. Chris Lee however, was great. I think I liked this version just because I am a fan of Chris and Fann. I thought Fann Wong was a great actress, but there was something missing from her portrayal of Dragon Girl.

LYF: She and Carmen were possibly the most beautiful out of all the other actresses. I thought LYF was good for the role because she was really, really stiff in Demi Gods/Semi Devils or something. Since the role of Dragon Girl requires the actress to be stone cold, I thought she might do well for the role. I think the hair, the makeup, the costume and not to mention the hotness of HXM really hilighted LYF.

I am really disappointed that Shui Ling never got to play this role. I think she would have been a great Dragon Girl. Fan Bing Bing would be great too.
    My Loves...
    : LEE MIN HO
    HUANG XIAO MING
    YAN KUAN
    TAKESHI KANESHIRO
    BOYS OVER FLOWERS!
    SS501!