Thread: [ tsui hark's A CHINESE GHOST STORY TRILOGY ]

Default [ tsui hark's A CHINESE GHOST STORY TRILOGY ]

The other day while cleaning out my media cabinet, I came upon this classic. For films that were released in 1987, 1990, and 1993 respectively, they are still refreshing to watch, imo, although the latter installment was not as great as the first two.

Now, with STRANGE TALES OF LIAOZHAI (36 episodes) out, i am ever so eagerly awaiting for the US release (sept. 14) and seeing a different interpretation.

I created this topic for two reasons. First, I wanted to find out where I could find the 1987 OST. The OST was one of the most, IMO, beautiful and haunting OSTs out there. Even if no one knows, I was wondering if anyone could tell me who sung "HALT THE SUNRISE" in the movie; it was a female singer by the way. Also, I would also like to know the name of the "instrumental" track of the guqin where LING and NIE first meet.

Second, I created this thread to hopefully generate some discussion as I have never read STRANGE TALES OF LIAOZHAI (I'm also hoping to get the book once it is released here (10/31)).

[ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

i love this triology too! and like you, my favorite is the first installment. i can never get tired of watching that movie, and enjoyed and loved leslie and joey's performances very very much!

it sure is a classic!

as far as that particular song name, i'm not sure. i only know that the main theme song was sung by sally yep. i don't know if that's what you're looking for.

i would love to watch strange tales of liaozhai too!
    ---------
    Shellie

Is that song called ' Li Ming bu yao lai' by Sally Yeh? The other fundamental piece of theme to the first installation is sang by Leslie Cheung but I don't know the title. It would be found in Leslie Cheung's greatest hits for sure.

The first part was very very good. Great acting from Leslie and Joey with a fantastic soundtrack and simple but compelling storyline that was well-directed.

How different is the first installment from the actual story of Pu Songling's STOLZ?

Is there a link to the story? I've heard about different variations.

Bad news is, I found out that there is no official OST.

Good news is, I just bought the out of print, CLASSICAL SONGS OF JAMES WONG. So, what is so significant about this 3 CD-SET? Well, it has three of the major tracks from CGS in it as well as others; basically it contains tracks from HK FLICKS from the late 80s to the mid-90s such as Swordsman, Picture of a Nymph, and so on...

[ http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...n-all/aid-355/ ]

I don't think it has the "instrumental" track from when LING first meets NIE though.
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

its a great trilogy! i want to get the DVDs...looks good

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.loveasianfilm.com/images/achineseghoststory_dvdboxset01b.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.loveasianfilm.com/images/achineseghoststory_dvdboxset03.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.loveasianfilm.com/images/achineseghoststory_dvdboxset05.jpg')

from http://www.loveasianfilm.com/reviews...dvdreview.html

Thanks. Poplover, you just bought that? or from your old collection?

The accompanying booklet looks quite good. I felt that the first part of the story was the classic, unbeatable. It the most romantic too but sad ending in a way since they could not exactly be together yet. I can't remember much of part 2 and 3 except remembering Tony Leung Chui Wai playing the monk who was being seduced by Joey?? something like that.

dang! i saw that set on ebay. if you happen to buy two box sets and stand them together, they look pretty cool. tony leung and leslie cheung stand "shoulder-to-shoulder."

man, this new box set looks great, but how are the subtitles compared to the ones distributed by MEGASTAR? aren't MEGASTAR and FORTUNE STAR one distributing/publishing company?

and if you're wondering, the set from MEGASTAR and MEDIA ASIA were quite good. some of the best subbing work i've seen from early 2000. the DVDs were excellent quality too because there were at least 5 different subtitles available while the film had both cantonese and mandarin audio although the madarin audio, i believed, was only 2.0CH. they don't make DVDs like that anymore.

it's selling on yesasia for about [ $39.99 ]...

I've seen the first two films, but haven't watched the third yet. Leslie's just awesome.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")