Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Were the other Greats affected by HYS flute?

Default Were the other Greats affected by HYS flute?

When Guo Jing and Au Yeung Hak was trying to win Huang Rong hand in marriage, HYS had a challenge to see who can withstand his flute.

From what I saw in LOCH82, Au Yeung Fung and Hung 7 Gong seemed to be very calm and natural. I was thinking perhaps HYS was aiming his flute towards Guo Jing and Au Yeung Hak only. But then I see Huang Rong covering her ears, so which means the music was directed at everyone within the area.

Are Au Yeung Fung and Hung 7 Gong so powerful, that the flute music have no effect on them? Or are they using some sort of energy to withstand the music? Does the sounds have any effect on Chow Ba Thung? I got the impression if Hung 7 Gong and Au Yeung Fung were there to marry Huang Rong, they would have slept through the whole flute music.

Someone please inform me.

Ouyang Feng's zither was more than a match for Huang Yaoshi's flute.

I would love to have someone answer this question of mine. Any new members have any thoughts?

Ouyang Feng's zither = HYS's flute = Hong Qigong's roar.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

and yes ZBT was affected by HYS's flute in LOCH.. as his energy was not that profound yet..

i think they were affected by the flute, maybe not much, but im sure there were some effects.
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

They were. They turned a little bit gayer and started playing the zither or singing. One (ZBT) was getting very horny. Crazy old men.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    They were. They turned a little bit gayer and started playing the zither or singing. One (ZBT) was getting very horny. Crazy old men.
    Oh, so in the novel, AYF and H7G actually did something to overcome the flute music?

Cause in LOCH82, they just stood there looking on as if the music have no effect on them whatsoever.

So in the novel, they themselves had to counter the flute effect with their own sounds?

Nah LOCH 82 got that right. During the competitions that HYS held for OYK and GJ, he did play the flute to test the young men and OYF and HQG just stood aside doing nothing, but internally they were using their energy to defend themselves. Prior to that though, HYS and OYF were fighting each other through music when HQG arrived and joined them with his singing/roaring.

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Nah LOCH 82 got that right. During the competitions that HYS held for OYK and GJ, he did play the flute to test the young men and OYF and HQG just stood aside doing nothing, but internally they were using their energy to defend themselves. Prior to that though, HYS and OYF were fighting each other through music when HQG arrived and joined them with his singing/roaring.
    Thanks Candide for finally answering my question after all these months. OK, so AYF and H7G were using internal energy to block it. CBT looked like he had trouble. And Huang Rong used the ever so popular hands to ears technique.

No worries. I thought it was a new thread! ZBT wasn't there during the competitions but just before GJ discovered his cave, he was suffering from the flute. Technically the music shouldn't affect him and even a rookie like GJ prior to 9 Yin training could concentrate his energy and defend himself without much trouble (he even had the time and energy to save ZBT from it). However, the music was about lovers and because of ZBT's guilt in the South Emperor - Ying Gu case, he couldn't concentrate and he was essentially fighting himself.

Nah LOCH 82 got that right. During the competitions that HYS held for OYK and GJ, he did play the flute to test the young men and OYF and HQG just stood aside doing nothing, but internally they were using their energy to defend themselves.
    Not quite.

Originally, it was a purely musical test where they just had to beat their sticks to the tune.

Poor GJ obviously couldn't do this at all. But he was listening to the OYF vs HYS (then later OYF vs H7G vs HYS) earlier and consequently comprehended a great deal of martial arts theory. Because of that, he suddenly decided to fight against HYS's flute using the beat of his stick. He did remarkably well and HYS actually had to try while GJ held out for a long time.

When HYS started to try at this point, OYF and H7G had to raise a defense by focusing their internal energy against HYS's song (GJ was purely defending because his internal was relatively weak so his beat wasn't an offense). HR's mind is in tune with HYS so she wasn't affected. OYK was owned in seconds.

Prior to that though, HYS and OYF were fighting each other through music when HQG arrived and joined them with his singing/roaring.
    H7G was whistling. Beggars whistle against their snakes (pets and food).

is HYS the only person that blow flutes? or are there other ppl?

I'm surprised a guy like OYF knows how to play the zither. Always had the impression that he was some type of barbarian.

However, the music was about lovers and because of ZBT's guilt in the South Emperor - Ying Gu case, he couldn't concentrate and he was essentially fighting himself.
    Good read.

Quote Originally Posted by Radken
    I'm surprised a guy like OYF knows how to play the zither. Always had the impression that he was some type of barbarian.
    In fact Ouyang Feng didn't _play_ the zither, he only _scratched_ it to make shrill sounds.
    Comparing him to virtual instrumentalists such as: Yingying, Liu Zhengfeng, Qu Yang (Xiao Ao Jiang Hu)... is simply like comparing a dime song for boy-bands to Mozart's symphonies.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

OYF's Iron Zither had a very shrill sound and perhaps he's not a high level musician. Nonetheless, he was an accomplished musician. It said that the three parts, despite dueling against each other, still encompassed a whole that made sense.

It doesn't really make sense to compare him to an elite in music of course, but remember, he can play with HYS (different from GJ since GJ was purely trying to disrupt) and HYS was certainly an excellent musician.

Here's how all present seemed to react in LOCH '82:

East Heretic Wong Yerk See: obviously no reaction, as he's the one playing the flute.

Wong Yung: had to cover her ears; looked mildly uncomfortable

Chow Bak Tung: able to resist, but had to concentrate deeply

North Beggar Hung 7 Gung: also able to resist, but again seemed to be concentrating (not as deeply as Chow Bak Tung, however)

West Poison Au Yeung Fung: handled it best; seemed completely nonchalant (probably his arrogance talking)

Gwok Jing: resisted with great effort by pounding on that drum

Au Yeung Hak: unable to resist despite pounding rigorously on multiple drums

animals in the vicinity: freaked out

the local tides: seemed to be affected by the sound of the flute (!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Here's how all present seemed to react in LOCH '82:

East Heretic Wong Yerk See: obviously no reaction, as he's the one playing the flute.

Wong Yung: had to cover her ears; looked mildly uncomfortable

Chow Bak Tung: able to resist, but had to concentrate deeply

North Beggar Hung 7 Gung: also able to resist, but again seemed to be concentrating (not as deeply as Chow Bak Tung, however)

West Poison Au Yeung Fung: handled it best; seemed completely nonchalant (probably his arrogance talking)

Gwok Jing: resisted with great effort by pounding on that drum

Au Yeung Hak: unable to resist despite pounding rigorously on multiple drums

animals in the vicinity: freaked out

the local tides: seemed to be affected by the sound of the flute (!)
    honestly, like i said on my old thread, all he had to do was run into the mongol camp and play his flute and wipe out the whole army.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR
    honestly, like i said on my old thread, all he had to do was run into the mongol camp and play his flute and wipe out the whole army.
    Unfortunately for East Heretic and his Chinese kinsmen and allies, he wasn't quite that powerful in the novel.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR
    is HYS the only person that blow flutes? or are there other ppl?
    Gao Shengtai. He could launch a long distance assault by blowing air/wind out of the flute.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」