Thread: Why did Yang Guo keep Du Gu Qiu Bai a secret?

Default Why did Yang Guo keep Du Gu Qiu Bai a secret?

Throughout the novel, YG has never mentioned DGQB to anyone except for the Divine Condor. Even when he started going out to roam Jiang Hu to "show the world the greatness of this sword technique" using the Xuan Tie Jian, he did not tell anyone where he learned the marvelous kung fu of his. Why is YG so secretive of the source of his marvelous sword ability?
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardor
    Throughout the novel, YG has never mentioned DGQB to anyone except for the Divine Condor. Even when he started going out to roam Jiang Hu to "show the world the greatness of this sword technique" using the Xuan Tie Jian, he did not tell anyone where he learned the marvelous kung fu of his. Why is YG so secretive of the source of his marvelous sword ability?
    No one ask him

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    No one ask him
    Haha, that's a short and sweet answer..
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    No one ask him
    Just what I wanted to say..

no one really asked him and he had no reason to. He probably does not want to share the secrets and if he did, it may give someone a upper hand on him. DGQB is as much of a mystery to him, if he mentions it, someone actually do some research and find a way to beat him at his own game. Remember when H7G saw OYF on Peach blossom island, he didn't really want to show off his do dog beating stick, for fear that OYF would figure something out to defend against it. Martial artist in general does not want to show off their skills or training methods, it was surprising that he actually show CBT so many of his secrets, I guess he really needed to bring him the Ying Gu.

Since he felt it was unlikely he could cleanly beat ZBT (if he won at all) he had to try to induce ZBT to come along using his weakness (love of martial arts). Furthermore, Yg felt a kindred spirit in ZBT.

Overall YG was really nice here since he eventually showed ZBT the entire set even when ZBT was deadset at not coming.

It is surprising that no one was curious enough about [how Yang Guo suddenly gained shocking progresses] to ask him the source of the progress. I guess Jin Yong really wanted Dugu Qiubai to remain mysteriousness.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

The secret never really was Yeung Gor's to divulge, but what's surprising is that nobody else was able to discover it. The location of Dook Goo Kau Bai's cave was not far from Seung Yeung Fortress in Hubei Province. It was within a day's walking distance. Despite the large congregation of wulin people in the area during the many years that Gwok Jing and his allies defended Seung Yeung from the Mongols, no wulin person other than Yeung Gor stumbled across it. Later, the same vicinity would be within the sphere of influence of the Mo Dong Sect (Mt. Mo Dong is located in Hubei Province as well, not far from Seung Yeung). Neither Cheung 3 Fung nor any of his followers, however, ever discovered the existence of Dook Goo Kau Bai's cave.

Even Yeung Gor would not have discovered it had he not encountered the Divine Condor on that one fateful day.

It is also quite surprising that no one has ever saw the divine condor before Yang Guo, considering that it is much larger/weider than other brids.

Maybe they did find the place, but a giant bird keep on pecking their eyes out. and by hsds, another hundred years past, maybe nature got to the writing on the wall.

YiDeng did ask about YG's tremendous internal energy growth. They had a discussion about the snake bladders. At first Yideng was sceptical, but in the end had to think that those were special snakes that boosted YG's internal energy.

Considering the context, if Yeung Gor were to go to his fellow Greats and start raving about some mysterious invincible swordsman who'd lived decades ago (and whom the Greats had never heard of), they'd probably think Yeung Gor was crazy.

Sure, stranger things have happened in the world of wuxia, but this was probably one of those things that was better left unexplained.

Still, the theories made sense. But YG seemed to be more proud of his Sad Palms and preferred to discuss that.

There is also the question of where the heck did Big Bird come from?

Did it have big bird parents as well? Half-as-Big bird parents?

Did it get big because of eating those damn snakes?
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Sesame Street? Or maybe it is an escaped chocobo from the Final Fantasy world... Which explains A LOT.

And here's an excerpt from the translation
    Yang Guo's admiration and understanding of this past sword master kept growing as he imagined the Senior Master's demeanor in his mind. Suddenly, a thought popped into his head.

"If Gu Gu could see the great kung fu skills I possess now, she would be very happy for me for sure. Alas, where is she now? Is she also staring at the beautiful moon and thinking of me?" As soon as he thought of the Xiao Longnu, severe pain arose inside his chest.

"Even though I've comprehended the ultimate principles of the sword art," Yang Guo thought, "what good does it do if I stay here in the remote mountains all by myself? What if the poison from the Passion Flower suddenly activated tomorrow and killed me? Wouldn't this magnificent sword art get lost again for eternity?"

At this thought, aspirations arose again in his heart. "I shall follow Senior Master Dugu's footsteps and defeat all heroes under heaven with this sword art. Then I can die with no regrets," he spoke out this thought loudly.

So why did he not tell anyone that his sword was from a man called Dugu Qiu Bai? If the secret was not his to divulge, then the sword is definitely not his to smelt. Wouldn't giving credit where credit was due appropriate?
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

Hmm, this made me wondering, and I just recalled something:

In the LOCH 2003 adaptation, Zhou Botong was always referring a tortoise as Dugu in Taohua Island. Is the books really said so too? If this is the case, Zhou Botong actually heard of Dugu before and even recognised him as the best, and also was very eager to get the chance to fight with Dugu.