Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kekkon Dekinai Otoko

Default Kekkon Dekinai Otoko

"Kekkon Dekinai Otoko (The Man Who Can't Marry)" is about Shinsuke Kuwano (Abe Hiroshi), an architect who is successful in his career, well-to-do, knowledgeable, good-looking, and owns a spacious, well-furnished apartment - all the things that should draw women to him. He is, however, still unattached at 40. In Shinsuke's own words, it isn't that he can't get married but that he doesn't want to marry and forsake the freedom bachelorhood offers him. We soon learn as the drama progresses that Shinsuke repels women because he is an insufferable character who is blunt, aloof, insensitive, stubborn and a perfectionist.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/abe_04.jpg')
    Shinsuke Kuwano

At the start of the drama, we see three women enter Shinsuke's life. Hayasaka Natsumi (Natsukawa Yui), a female doctor; Tamura Michiru (Kuninaka Ryoko), his neighbour; and Sawazaki Maya (Takashima Reiko), his colleague. However, it is his encounter with Dr Hayasaka that changes his perspective toward marriage. And in spite of himself, he starts to change in subtle ways.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/KDO.jpg')
    Tamura Michiru, Hayasaka Natsumi, and Sawazaki Maya

From Yomiuri:

Model-turned-actor Hiroshi Abe is the perfect person to play the title character in Fuji TV's summertime drama series "Kekkon Dekinai Otoko (The Man Who Can't Marry)" (Tuesday, 10:15 p.m.).

Abe's classic good looks contrast starkly with his comic awkwardness, making him one of those rare hybrids: the dreamy leading man who can succeed as a character actor.

Here he plays Shinsuke, a successful architect with a streak of eccentricity.

His fussy attention to detail makes him an unsatisfactory mate, and he decided a long time ago that romantic love was a pointless undertaking. However, after he turns 40 he starts to change his mind.

Sounds almost like the 40 year old Virgin (american movie to me)...well almost.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

What makes the drama engaging is the very well-nuanced portrayal of Shinsuke that Abe Hiroshi gives. Although Shinsuke comes across as eccentric and difficult, I found him vulnerable and boyish too. It seemed that he wanted to reach out to people but didn't quite know how to, and was thus happier living in 'his own world.' Kudos to the scriptwriters for coming up with a humourous, well-developed and well-paced plot (they must have observed and studied many people) that allows the characters room to grow. It is one of those dramas where you feel emotionally involved with them and want them to be happy. The drama is never quite predictable, and doesn't quite seem to take itself seriously at times which all adds to the enjoyability.

This is a rare drama that tackles middle age romance and singlehood but does so without a heavy hand. You can learn alot about Japanese culture and perceptions through Kekkon Dekinai Otoko too.

Oh and there's the ugly yet totally adorable pug, Ken-chan (Michiru's dog) that just seems to look more and more like Shinsuke with each episode it appears in. He seems to have a soft spot for Shinsuke too. And it's really amusing watching the two of them together in a similar pose in one of the later episodes.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Gimme.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Huh.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Frown.jpg')

Dear Jade,

Thank you for providing such a comprehensive summary of the show. You make it sound good! its just a pity that the leading guy never cut it for me as quite the dreamy type since I saw him in Dragon Zakura but I will keep a lookout for this show.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    Dear Jade,

Thank you for providing such a comprehensive summary of the show. You make it sound good! its just a pity that the leading guy never cut it for me as quite the dreamy type since I saw him in Dragon Zakura but I will keep a lookout for this show.
    No problem, strawberry. It's always nice to share dramas that we enjoy with others. Haha. I'd be hard pressed to call Abe Hiroshi the dreamy type. He's anything but that as a matter of fact. I have to say that he has come a very long way since he first started out acting in dramas. I'd never have thought him to have the chops to pull off such a role as Shinsuke when I saw him acting as a bodyguard in Yasha or lawyer in Hero. Abe Hiroshi is one of the few actors who's honed his craft over time and become better with age. In fact, he became a leading actor only at the turn of the century although he seems to have been acting for years. He's not the typical handsome guy but he's charming and has great screen presence.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/KekkonDekinaiOtoko.jpg')
    Shinsuke and his long-suffering colleagues Maya and Eiji (Tsukamoto Takashi)

Tsukamoto Takashi's another reason why I'm glued to Kekkon Dekinai Otoko. Eye candy!

The summer season ends next week (I wish there'll be another season of Kekkon Dekinai Otoko!) so you'll be able to see these dramas in store soon strawberry.
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 09-15-06 at 08:36 AM.

Well, Kekkon Dekinai Otoko ended the season with a very nice 22%, for an admirable average of 16.93% (second behind My Boss, My Hero) despite Sapuri being FujiTV's most heavily publicised drama of the summer.

The plot, character development and acting has been consistently good. In fact I should think it's one of the best dramas this year. Maybe we'll see a drama special or second season!!! More Abe Hiroshi!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    Well, Kekkon Dekinai Otoko ended the season with a very nice 22%, for an admirable average of 16.93% (second behind My Boss, My Hero) despite Sapuri being FujiTV's most heavily publicised drama of the summer.

The plot, character development and acting has been consistently good. In fact I should think it's one of the best dramas this year. Maybe we'll see a drama special or second season!!! More Abe Hiroshi!!!!!!!
    Thanks Jade.

Between Iryu and this, which do you think is the overall better drama or they can't be compared?

Thanks Jade.

Between Iryu and this, which do you think is the overall better drama or they can't be compared?
    Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to finish watching both so I'll have to reserve comments till later. However, I must say that the genre and mood of the two dramas are quite different to make a comparison but I guess I'll be able to comment on the acting and plot development once I've seen both of them.

Meanwhile, here are some screenshots that show why Shinsuke is a man who can't quite get married.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/kdo.jpg')

Did he get plastic surgery or something? His face doesn't look natural.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I don't know. As far as I can remember, Abe Hiroshi has always looked like that since I first started watching him in dramas many years ago.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter very much since he's a competent actor.
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 09-24-06 at 11:37 PM.

i like this drama, it was real and had nice pace. I never felt a moment of boredome watching this drama. the main guy is funny and crack me up anytime he tried to be nice but can't seem to form a word. I had to say this is the best drama of the season and hope the main dude can win the best actor.

Ah, seeing this thread on Abe's new drama makes me miss watching Trick and posting in that thread.

I don't think Abe has had any plastic surgery. He's just unique-looking.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Lady ZG,

Its a surprise to see you here since you don't seem to move around as much in the Jap serial thread....
    Last edited by strawberry; 09-25-06 at 01:35 AM.

To Jade,

Don't worry, take your time.....will look forward to your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    Ah, seeing this thread on Abe's new drama makes me miss watching Trick and posting in that thread.

I don't think Abe has had any plastic surgery. He's just unique-looking.
    Heh me too. Ueda. He was totally hilarious in Trick. All the lead roles he's played so far have been really memorable, and wide-ranging. I'm amazed at his ability to slip into his roles so easily.

More Kekkon Dekinai Otoko screenshots:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/KDO-1.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by tae
    i like this drama, it was real and had nice pace. I never felt a moment of boredome watching this drama. the main guy is funny and crack me up anytime he tried to be nice but can't seem to form a word. I had to say this is the best drama of the season and hope the main dude can win the best actor.
    I couldn't agree more tae! Well said!!!
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 09-25-06 at 11:40 PM.

Screenshots from episode 1:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/kdo1.jpg')

Thanks Jade.

Strawberry, after watching Iryu and Kekkon Dekinai Otoko. I say that my vote goes to KDO. Let me first say that this was always going to be a biased choice because Abe Hiroshi, one of my favourite actors stars in it, but that aside, I'd say that you must really watch KDO because it has a wonderful cast of main characters, a very intimate setting, and humourous storyline that made me grow to like it, nevermind that the Abe Hiroshi's character Shinsuke Kuwano is what one would call a "dasai jiji" (unfashionable uncle) in Japanese with his taste for fitting stripe and check shirts, and a rather awkward gait and posture that makes him unglamourous, and sometimes a little furtive and unsure that you really have to think hard to convince yourself that this is the very same guy who acted as the egoistic, rather pompous yet cowardly Prof Ueda in the Trick series.

Hiroshi's talent for acting is well put to use here as KDO explores Shinsuke's detest for personal involvement in the people around him and his penchant for adopting a detached, aloof air toward things and people, and how he is gradually forced to change his attitude after he gets to know Dr Natsumi Hayasaka, who seems so adept at sweetly 'blackmailing' him into doing things that he doesn't want to with the proclamation 'i don't compromise'. There's something about KDO that makes you feel like you're one of them and there're all the characters that you can identify with. It's a bit of drama and a bit of comedy and I'm so sad it had to come to an end. But everyone's keeping their fingers crossed for a drama special or second season as such good acts only come around once in a very long while.
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 10-16-06 at 11:42 AM.

I'm going to watch this as soon as I finish Iryu. Can't wait!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    I'm going to watch this as soon as I finish Iryu. Can't wait!
    You most definitely should! You'll find yourself chuckling away at Abe Hiroshi's portrayal. I had quite a bit of a cultural lesson watching Kekkon Dekinai Otoko too.