Quote Originally Posted by bellamia
The consumers want what they see flaunted & advertised in magazines after magazines, and the ideal beauty that they see being promoted are anorexic looking models in size –0 clothing. Thus, it goes back to the fashion industry. It's the designers who're projecting these negative images to the mass. If people see designed clothes that fit on healthy looking models of size 4 or 6 instead of 0 & 2 then the message would be more positive. I don’t want the fashion industry to promote anorexia or obesity. I just want designers to promote clothes that would fit healthy looking women that are not size –0 or 0.
i'm sure there a lot of ppl who think the same as you. in fact, i'm sure there are many designers who think the same way you do. but why don't we ever hear about those designers? bc they're unsuccessful and nobody will buy their clothes. it's a nice idea to just have the whole fashion industry shift and design clothes for real people, but just unlikely. who would be willing to be the first martyr for this cause?

i don't think it's the designers fault. if everybody else in their industry is using tiny models, of course you would too. if everybody else is making their clothes in negative sizes, and your customers are asking for it, of course you'd make them that small as well.

and designers do make clothes for "larger" women. usually up to a size 10, i believe, are readily available in stores. but customers themselves are constantly striving to be thinning and wear a smaller number.

ultimately, it's the customer who makes the clothing choices. to blame designers for giving into their demand is unfair. to think that if designers just all started making larger clothes, using larger models, and the problem would be solved is naive. people are insecure. a woman who is 130lbs and has a friend who is 125lbs will want to lose 5lbs.