Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Yang Guo get more heat than most heroes?

Question Does Yang Guo get more heat than most heroes?

Yang Guo at age 18-20 is already heroic and reluctant to take lives, but he seems to get so much heat in this forum for his actions.

His protrayal in adaptations would not help i assume. Since much of YG's actions are justified by his thoughts, and his redeeming actions are also controlled by his thoughts, which cannot be shown in adaptations... Furthermore, in adaptations, YG tends to be more Xiao Long Nu focused than he is in the novel(It IS possible, and it happens all the time)

So why does YG get so much more heat than say Guo Jing or Xiao Feng?
    (Why those two? Because they tend to be compared to YG ALL the time)
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

if this was the HUANG XIAO MING thread, I would say, he screamed like a monkey.

[ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

Quote Originally Posted by resident:alien
    if this was the HUANG XIAO MING thread, I would say, he screamed like a monkey.

He may be one of the worst actors to have acted as YG, but that happened with a LOT of acted YGs.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

Oh cmon, YG hate based on TVB is not legit. If you hate YG novel-wise and can back it up with facts then its a different story.

it wasn't TVB, it was ZJZ
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by Ardor
    So why does YG get so much more heat than say Guo Jing or Xiao Feng?
    (Why those two? Because they tend to be compared to YG ALL the time)
    IMHO, its because his fanboys generate much heat in their pro-YG posts so the non YG-fans will counter more vigoriously too.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

There are many reasons why YG is both extremely popular and yet also extremely unpopular with certain people. Here are some that I've heard about why some don't like him:

1) YG's constant self-pitying is annoying because he is not the only hero who was so unfortunate.

2) YG's biased thinking that only a select few cared about him when there were actually quite a few more that cared deeply about him.

3) YG looks down on many other people even though he resents being looked down upon. He causes much of his own troubles with others because he only respects the attractive women or men with great ability.

4)In order to make YG and XLN look good, JY unfairly portrays previous characters in ways that are not consistent with who they were, such as HR. Also, JY is too unbalanced and unfair with his treatment of the side characters in his effort to make YG/XLN stand out.

I'm not saying that I agree with the above reasons, they are just some of the things I've heard from other people. I guess the one reason I'll agree with the most is No.1. I think XF's life became much more messed up than YG's life ever was and yet XF took it all in stride.
    Last edited by Wu Wudi; 09-18-06 at 09:41 PM.

XF was 31 by then, and he only took it well after awhile. A 36 year old YG was nothing but heroic... discounting that suicide attempt, which is more of a plot device.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi
    There are many reasons why YG is both extremely popular and yet also extremely unpopular with certain people. Here are some that I've heard about why some don't like him:

1) YG's constant self-pitying is annoying because he is not the only hero who was so unfortunate.

2) YG's biased thinking that only a select few cared about him when there were actually quite a few more that cared deeply about him.

3) YG looks down on many other people even though he resents being looked down upon. He causes much of his own troubles with others because he only respects the attractive women or men with great ability.

4)In order to make YG and XLN look good, JY unfairly portrays previous characters in ways that are not consistent with who they were, such as HR. Also, JY is too unbalanced and unfair with his treatment of the side characters in his effort to make YG/XLN stand out.

I'm not saying that I agree with the above reasons, they are just some of the things I've heard from other people. I guess the one reason I'll agree with the most is No.1. I think XF's life became much more messed up than YG's life ever was and yet XF took it all in stride.
    the first three, i can see. But the fourth seems a bit unreasonable...shouldn't ppl be hating JY instead of YG for that?

I think the difference between XF's messed up life and YG's messed up life was that XF, for the years that he can remember, had a decently happy childhood and youth, followed by a major fall. YG started off with a screwed up life, which at points became progressively better (aka meeting XLN).
    If an alaskan bear and a californian bear both jumped into water, which one will dissolve faster?

Not true, YG did self pity a couple of times but not always. And he always did the right thing afterwards. Imagine if you were in his shoes, you are about to die in a couple of days and the one you love most will surely kill herself if you died, the only way to save yourself and your loved one is by killing the hero of the people. YG in the end couldn't kill GJ because GJ was a noble man so he instead accepted his fate and no matter how great his love for XLN was, he wasn't selfish enough to kill a hero.

True, but this is not a good reason to hate him. Also this thinking of his was no longer evident when he grew up; This was only when he was in his younger years.

Not true. He did look down on some people but most of the time he didn't let it show, it was only in his mind. There were many events he saved GF who hurt him a lot of times. You see even if he did look down on GF, he doesn't have the heart to see her get hurt.

4)In order to make YG and XLN look good, JY unfairly portrays previous characters in ways that are not consistent with who theywere, such as HR. JY is too unbalanced and unfair with his treatment of the side characters in his effort to make YG/XLN stand out.
    Not true. You can't blame the author for shaping his characters the way they are. HR as a kid was lovable, strong willed, and carefree; When she grew up she changed because she's a mom already and no longer carefree. HR was a genius, but as a mom, she gave in to her anxieties instead of the usual logic and reason; This is so because she has a heart, she loved her children, so much so that her emotions are overpowering her logic. HR's weaknesses never showed until she had someone to really worry about, and that is her children. IMO, HR was human-like and JY's concept of her character is top notch, compared to XLN who was less developed than HR.

EDIT: We should be careful YG supporters. Ken is still around. We can strike after he goes on vacation.
    Last edited by Bangs; 09-18-06 at 10:26 PM.

That pretty much sums it up for me. Yes, Yeung Gor does get more heat than any other Jin Yong main character. The way that he was written, how could he not?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    That pretty much sums it up for me. Yes, Yeung Gor does get more heat than any other Jin Yong main character. The way that he was written, how could he not?
    You mean the way he was potrayed in TV series?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    You mean the way he was potrayed in TV series?
    Both, likely. From what I've been told about the novel depiction, he's not all that different in the better adaptations from the way he is in the novel.

Totally agree, that's the reason why I extremely hate Yang Guo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangs
    Not true. You can't blame the author for shaping his characters the way they are.
    As soon as a novel is published, it no longer belongs to the author but the readers.
    Each reader has his right to comment the novel in the way he likes.
    Last edited by RongYingMin; 09-18-06 at 11:55 PM.

Both, likely. From what I've been told about the novel depiction, he's not all that different in the better adaptations from the way he is in the novel.
    The full translation is already out... Anywho, i tend to think the adaptation YG as very very very annoying, but the novel YG as quite a likable, human character.

Quote Originally Posted by RongYingMin
    Totally agree, that's the reason why I extremely hate Yang Guo.
    Then its not really YG you hate but JY because its not YG who made himself stand out so much in the novel. Heh! Peace lady, I still love you even if you hate YG.

Quote Originally Posted by RongYingMin
    As soon as a novel is published, it no longer belongs to the author but the readers.
    Each reader has his right to comment the novel in the way he likes.
    The book is copyrighted to the author and publisher. We are free to comment about it as much as we want, but the story and characters remain intact and could not be changed by anyone except the author. So in short, we can't tell the author what to make of his characters.

Nope, youre totally wrong Mr.Ken. If you watch roch'06, HXM overacted and acts like a dumb kid. Its totally annoying because that is not how YG was supposedly playful in the novel. I encourage you to read the novel first with an unbiased view and then make a judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs
    I encourage you to read the novel first with an unbiased view and then make a judgement.
    I've known this character for 22 years through Andy Lau's depiction and depictions in two separate comic book adaptations plus word of mouth from people very knowledgeable about the novel. I really don't *need* a reason to stop disliking Yeung Gor. Sometimes, people just dislike something/someone "just because" (although I don't need to do that because I've already listed my reasons for disliking this particular character many times).

Now just let an old man dislike one of his least favorite characters in peace, OK?

It was ZWJ for a while. Now it's YG. Discussions seem to heat up when respective adaptions hit the tv.
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

That means we will get heated discussion about Wei Xiao Bao and Guo Jing soon.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩