Thread: Which character underwent the cheesiestly written near-death experience?

Default Which character underwent the cheesiestly written near-death experience?

Cheesy because you just know that they will be fine. Not only that, they usually benefit from these seemingly near-death--but really automatically harmless by convention--events. Indeed, it seems that over the centuries, important wuxia characters have developed an immunity in their system to falling off cliffs. Not restricted to main characters nor the Jin Yong universe. We have:

-Duan Yu being thrown into a deep well, only to fall on mudd, resulting in no critical injury at all. Furthermore, 3 more people all fell into the well without any major injury. What better way to have a grand reunion of lovers, cousins, and mortal enemies.

-Yang Guo falling off a cliff. His lover did that too. Apparently, both did just fine. And so did Guo Xiang. As if the main characters were really allowed to die this way. And please, no funny comments from Yang Guo haters about how the world would be a better place if....

-Xiao Yuanshan jumping off a cliff while holding his son. He suddenly experienced an emotional change of heart, resulting in him throwing up baby Xiao Feng, landing perfectly on a dead body, preventing any injury from taking place. Furthermore I think Papa Xiao ended up on a tree.

But here comes my favorite. I can't even remember the exact details. As usual, a guy fell off a cliff of some sort. However, what makes this situation completely different and exciting, is that it happened to the #1 most powerful warrior in the Gu Long universe, the man, the myth, the legend himself--Mr. Carefree Count aka Xiaoyao Hou. Apparently he was emotionally unstable for a moment, which contributed to his not-so-final demise. BUT, it was not meant to be the last of him, since he managed to use a girl's skirt as a parachute . Now, the last description, I am not entirely sure I remember correctly. However I do remember him being described as using SOMETHING as a parachute. Was it a girl's skirt? Gu Long experts Please confirm.
    Last edited by PJ; 09-20-06 at 10:12 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

YG's arm being chopped off? Not many people can survive a massive loss of blood and extreme shock by themselves. No infections either

ZBT being tricked by AYF into the sea with the sharks, then riding them back to safety.
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by JigSta
    YG's arm being chopped off? Not many people can survive a massive loss of blood and extreme shock by themselves. No infections either
    Maybe YG sealed up his pressure points to stop the blood from flowing out?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    Maybe YG sealed up his pressure points to stop the blood from flowing out?
    Are you kidding me? I've never seen or heard anyone doing that before and I do not think it is possible. Usually people use this type of powder that "holds the blood" to stop the blood from bleeding (i.e. ZWJ at Brightness Peak). You can't seal pressure points to stop blood from flowing out. You can stop poison from spreading to other places but no, not blood.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

From my memory of the ROCH translation, though, that's what Yang Guo did.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    Are you kidding me? I've never seen or heard anyone doing that before and I do not think it is possible. Usually people use this type of powder that "holds the blood" to stop the blood from bleeding (i.e. ZWJ at Brightness Peak). You can't seal pressure points to stop blood from flowing out. You can stop poison from spreading to other places but no, not blood.
    And how do you stop poison from spreading? Wouldn't that involve stopping the poisonous blood from flowing to other places?

Can we get back on topic, stop talking about YG and discuss the girl's skirt please? Thanks.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    Hey Suet Seung don't get crazy! I was just suggesting it.

Now that you said it I don't think it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Can we get back on topic, stop talking about YG and discuss the girl's skirt please? Thanks.
    Indeed! I hear you, man.

I want to know, how did the greatest warrior in the history of Gu Long wuxia, end up falling down a cliff with a girl's skirt? Or did my memory unknowingly combine XIAOYAO HOU with "other things"?

It's woman, thank you.

I think Xiaoyao Hou is a crossdresser. Best explanation is the simplest one, right?
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

OK, I spent the past hour skimming through every chapter of Xiao 11 Lang that contained information about Xiaoyao Hou. I could not find any text about a GIRL's skirt (sorry Candide, but I hate the word "woman").

Furthermore, I didn't get the impression that Xiaoyao Hou was that powerful. Of course I only skimmed through the novel. It said that Xiao 11 Lang AT BEST could last about 200 stances against Xiaoyao Hou. The way that some people have hyped him up, it sounded like Xiaoyao Hou could Kille Xiao 11 Lang in one stance or something.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Furthermore, I didn't get the impression that Xiaoyao Hou was that powerful. Of course I only skimmed through the novel. It said that Xiao 11 Lang AT BEST could last about 200 stances against Xiaoyao Hou. The way that some people have hyped him up, it sounded like Xiaoyao Hou could Kille Xiao 11 Lang in one stance or something.
    Yeah but keep in mind that Xiao 11 Lang normally kills 1st class elite fighters in 1 stance himself.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    Yeah but keep in mind that Xiao 11 Lang normally kills 1st class elite fighters in 1 stance himself.
    Yeah well, Murong Bo can also do that. So Xiao 11 Lang =~ Murong Bo? I think that could be a decent estimate.