Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Smiling Proud Wanderer Chapter 29 onwards

thank you, I've been waiting for this.

I enjoy the fact that DG9S is not that invincible and still depend on the strengh of the user.

the "I wish I was born a woman" sentence made me think : will YY take the sunflower manual and train with it ?

this is one of the few parts of the novel that kind of irks me, DGBB is considered the most powerful fighter in the world and the battle scene we had with him is too short. LOL

There was no other choice for Jin Yong except killing Dongfang quickly. If the fight had kept up in that way , nearly all the main characters in XAJH including: Linghu Chong, Ren Woxing, Xiang Wentian and Ren Yingying would have become the blinds. That would break the hearts of many of the readers who love Yingying and Linghu Chong including me.
    Last edited by Huang Rong; 01-08-07 at 09:36 AM.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

Welcome back Pokit, and it is very nice to see you, thank you and H (I really don't know if it is Huang -I thought so- but ppl spell is hhaung too, so I'll just type H, if that is ok), thank you too!

I think the fight scene was at the right dose. With 4 very talented martial artists attacking him at the same time, he still couldn't be defeated - and in the end Jin Yong gave him a good death. He was defeated by love. Also I think DFBB is a good way to show the reader that everyone, no matter how untouchable or invincible has weaknesses and eventually will have to die.

Also this part is really bloody! Never knew JY could be so descriptive of gore, I'm impressed.
    Last edited by eliza bennet; 01-08-07 at 10:30 AM.

thank you pokit and hhaung

so glad that you are back!
    trust you both are well rested and wish you both a healthy and happy new year!

wonder if LHC really now loves YY or he is still love the Yue girl?
    Who created the SunFlower Manual actually?

You're welcome. Now to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shangguan Yun said, "Congratulations Chief for executing this big traitor. From now on, our sect would be sheltered under Chief's protection and its power would spread throughout the four oceans. Long live the Chief, unifies the Jianghu."

Ren Woxing laughingly scolded him, "Nonsense! What long live?" Suddenly he felt that if he could really live long and unify the Jianghu, then that would be the happiest thing in the world. He could not help laughing loudly at this. He laughed because he really felt happy and was feeling proud of himself. Xiang Wentian used Dongfang Bubai's needle to pierce the acupoint on his left chest. In a moment, his whole body felt better and his four limbs were able to move freely. He also said, "Congratulations Chief, congratulations Chief!"

Ren Woxing laughingly said, "You've done a really big service by punishing this traitor." He then turned his head around and said to Linghu Chong, "Chong'er's contribution is also not small."

Linghu Chong saw the trace of blood on Yingying’s white jade cheek and fear still lingered in his heart as he remembered how fierce the fight was. He said, “If it weren’t for Yingying attacking Yang Lianting, it wouldn’t have been easy to kill Dongfang Bubai.” He stopped for a moment, and continued, “Luckily his needle wasn’t coated with poison.”

Yingying trembled when she heard this and softly said, “Please don’t say anymore. That person wasn’t a man, he was a monster. Ai, when I was small, he used to carry me up the mountain to pick up vegetables and fruits. How greatly he has changed today!”

Ren Woxing put his hand inside Dongfang Bubai’s pocket and felt an old thin page in there. He took it out and saw many tiny letters written on it. He waved that paper around and said, “This paper is the ‘Sunflower Manual’. It’s written clearly in the beginning, ‘To learn this Divine Art, castrate yourself first.’ I’d never be so foolish to do such a thing, Haha, haha, …” He then moaned deeply and said, “But this Manual actually conveys a lot of profound martial arts in it, and anyone who manages to see it would definitely be tempted into learning it. Fortunately I’ve learned the Art of Essence Absorbing at that time. Otherwise, I’d probably have learnt the martial arts written in this Manual.”

(Translator’s note: In the third edition, the castration part was not mentioned to Linghu Chong and Yingying anymore. This is to fix the later chapters when Linghu Chong and Yingying somehow forget about this.)

He again gave Dongfang Bubai’s corpse another kick. He laughed and said, “You were definitely crafty and sly, but you still couldn’t have guessed my real intention in giving you the ‘Sunflower Manual’. You have such a wild ambition and bossy attitude, do you think I wouldn’t notice it? Haha, haha!”

Linghu Chong’s heart turned cold and he thought, “So Chief Ren actually had a bad intention in giving him the ‘Sunflower Manual’. The two of them were being crafty and were plotting against each other.” He saw blood was still flowing out of Ren Woxing’s right eye and his mouth was opened in a mad smile, he looked completely mean and ferocious. Linghu Chong felt terrified seeing him.

Ren Woxing extended his hand and found out that Dongfang Bubai had indeed cut off his testicles. He laughed madly and said, “This ‘Sunflower Manual’ would be good for eunuchs to practise.” He then rolled that old paper in both of his hands and ripped it into a thousand pieces. He then hurled both of his hands open and the pieces of paper were blown all over the place by the wind. Yingying let out a sigh and said, “It’s best to destroy such a harmful thing!”

Linghu Chong laughingly said, “You’re afraid that I’m going to learn it?”

Yingying’s whole face blushed a deep red and she pursed her lips. She then said, “You’re speaking improperly.” Yingying then took out a medicine and applied it to her father’s and Shangguan Yun’s eye injuries.

Everyone’s face was also full of uncountable needle holes. Yingying looked into the mirror and saw a trace of blood on her left cheek. Even though it was really thin, it would still leave a scar when it heals and she didn’t feel happy about it.

Linghu Chong said, “You already have all the luck in this world so the ghosts and gods would envy you. So this little scar on your face would definitely bring untold amount of good fortune.”

“What lucky thing do I have?”

“You’re beautiful and smart, your martial art is high, your father is the divine sect’s Chief, and you yourself is admired by many heroes in this world. Furthermore, you’re a woman that even Dongfang Bubai was jealous of.” Yingying gave him a smile and forgot all about the injury to her face.

Ren Woxing and the four of them went out of Dongfang Bubai’s little house, went through the garden, tunnel, and went back to the hall. Ren Woxing passed down a command ordering all the Halls’ elders and the Fragrant Masters to come see him. He sat at the Chief’s seat and laughingly said, “That servant Dongfang Bubai had many wicked schemes. He sat highly on the cliff and put a big distance between his subordinates and himself so all of them were awed by him. What’s this hall called?”

Shangguan Yun replied, “Reporting to Chief. This hall is called ‘Hall of Refined Kindness’. This name came from the praise to Chief which says ‘Refined scholar, kind-hearted warrior’.”
    Last edited by pokit; 01-08-07 at 07:23 PM.

yeah i was a bit disappointed too that DFBB died so quickly.......JY should have made him escape and have LHC kill him later

Keep them coming i've these translation for quite some time now

Thanks pokit and hhuang

Good health and long life to you

I'm Guessing the JY got something much more exciting than the death of DFBB that's why he died so quickly

And i Hope He would get to destroy the Five Mountain Sword Alliance

Smile :-)

You are all very welcome! I really don't mind if anyone misspell my pseudonym, so please don't worry. :-)

I chose HHAung just because my full name has three words and my surname is "Aung" which is a very common Burmese name word. I usually just sign "HH" to quick emails so you are welcome to just type HH and save yourself time.

Happy New Year!

Cool! Thanks for the explanation HH And as always thank you both for the update.

I think LHC is beginning to see Ren Woxing's true face. It is really sad how power corrupts people.

i wonder how much of RWX's behaviour at this point is due to regaining power and control over the cult (and maybe being maddened by it?) and how much is his native ferocity and unorthodox bevaviour?

i mean, randomly killing servants seem to be a norm for dictators (heads of unorthodox cults with absolutist powers counts as dictators right?) so it's probably more telling to observe how he's gonna treat the higher ranking members. he's probably sulking coz they all fell under the sway of DFBB and felt no one was true to him except maybe XWT even though he would admit that DFBB plotted well and admirably. Quite human actually.

Ren Woxing laughed. “Refined scholar, kind-hearted warrior! Skilled with both pen and sword; that’s not easy to do!” He then beckoned to Linghu Chong. “Chong’er, come here.” Linghu Chong went in front of him.

“Chong’er, that day in Hangzhou, I invited you to join our sect. At that time, I had just escaped from my imprisonment and was all by myself, so you probably didn’t believe all my promises to you. This time, I’ve already regained the leadership of the sect. The first matter I’d like to bring up is that old matter again…” Ren Woxing said till here when his right hand patted the chair next to him. “Sooner or later, this position will be yours. Haha, haha!”

Linghu Chong said, “Chief, Yingying’s kindness towards me is high like the mountain. If you wanted me to do anything, I would never decline it. But I’ve already given my promise to other people to do another matter. So this matter of joining the divine sect, please forgive junior for not being able to promise you this.”

Both of Ren Woxing’s eyebrows were gradually raised, and he gloomily said, “You know what’s going to happen for not listening to my order!”

Yingying went up and pulled Linghu Chong’s arm. “Daddy, today is your big day. Why must you be worried about this kind of small matter? We can slowly talk about him joining the sect later.”

Ren Woxing turned his head slightly to the right and glanced sideways with his left eye towards the two of them. “Hng, Yingying, you only want your husband and don’t want your father anymore, don’t you?”

Xiang Wentian laughed at the side. “Chief, Brother Linghu is only a young hero so he’s still very stubborn. Let subordinate speak about it slowly with him…” As he said till here, there were tens of people outside the hall calling out, “Martial Hall elders, Hall Masters and Vice Hall Masters, five branches of Fragrant Masters and Vice Fragrant Masters have come to see the refined scholar, kind-hearted warrior, the just and wise Chief. Chief flourishes the sacred sect and benefits the common people. Long live the Chief, unifies the Jianghu.”

Ren Woxing shouted, “Enter!”

More than ten men entered the hall and knelt in front of Ren Woxing. When he was the chief of the Divine Sun Moon Sect, he only cupped his fists in saluting the brothers in the sect. So when he saw them kneeling down, he immediately stood up and waved his arm. “There’s no need…” Suddenly he thought, “It’s not sufficient to receive these people without power. In the past, my leadership of the sect was usurped by traitors because I treated them too leniently. Since Dongfang Bubai already introduced this kneeling as propriety then I don’t need to change it.” He immediately cupped his fist back at them and didn’t say anything as he sat back down.

Not long after that, another group of people entered the hall. When they knelt before him, Ren Woxing did not stand up anymore and just nodded his head. At this time, Linghu Chong had already retreated to the entrance of the hall and was far away from the Chief’s seat. Under the dim light of the hall, Ren Woxing’s face looked blur from where he was. He thought, “There’s no difference whether Ren Woxing or Dongfang Bubai is sitting in that seat.” He then heard the praises of all the hall leaders and Fragrant Masters getting louder and louder as they went, and they all sounded like they were afraid of Ren Woxing. For the past ten years, they had been working their best for Dongfang Bubai so it was unavoidable that they were feeling guilty towards Chief Ren. They didn’t know how Chief Ren would punish them if he brought up the past events. Furthermore, some of them had never known of Ren Woxing before. Some of these people only knew how to work hard for Dongfang Bubai and Yang Lianting to avoid being punished. So when there was this sudden change of leadership in the sect, all they could do was to sing their praises to the new Chief.

Linghu Chong stood at the entrance of the hall with the sun shining down on his back. Outside the hall was clear and bright while there were close to a hundred people prostrating themselves on the floor inside the hall singing their disgusting praises. He couldn’t say his loathing out loud so he thought, “Yingying treats me very well, so if she really wants me to join the Divine Sun Moon Sect, I can’t reject her idea. But it has to wait till I go to Songshan and stop Zuo Lengchan from becoming the Headmaster of the Five Mountains School since this was my agreement with Great Master Fangzheng and Priest Chongxu. Also, I have to find a female disciple from Heng-Shan and pass down to her the leadership of the school. After all these are done, then I’ll be free to join the divine sect. But if you want me to be like these people, isn’t that just too disgusting? Later when Yingying becomes my wife, then Chief Ren would be my father in law, and it would only be proper if I kowtow to him. But all these ‘flourishes the sacred sect and benefits the common people’, ‘refined scholar, kind-hearted warrior, the just and wise’, they’re just too shameful for a real man to utter. They really tarnish the pureness of a real man! I originally thought that this nonsense was done by Dongfang Bubai and Yang Lianting to punish someone. But looking at the situation now, Chief Ren is actually flattered to hear these words and he’s not disgusted at all by these.” He again thought, “That day in the Cliff of Contemplation on Huashan, I saw the martial arts of the ten elders from Devil Sect and they actually had many heroes among their seniors. If not so, how could Sun Moon Sect fight against the orthodox parties for the last hundred years and still be their equal? From the warriors they have like Brother Xiang, Shangguan Yun, Jia Bu, Tong Baixiong, the Four Playfellows of Jiangnan, which one isn’t an outstanding gentleman? These groups of heroes are all forced to kneel to other people every day and read aloud those dictions while they’re actually cursing in their hearts. Saying disgusting things and receiving such rudeness. Actually, accepting to say those shameless things is even more disgusting. All these wronged heroes, how could they still be called heroes?”

Thanks for the update.

From his words, I got a sense that LHC doesn't love Ying Ying the way GJ loves HR or YG loves XLN. He kept saying how Ying Ying had treated him nicely and stuff. He never said things like how can I life without her, etc, etc.

So it seems that he may like her, but the main reason he stayed with her is his feeling of indebtness to her. What do you guys think?

Thanks pokit and HH

I think he likes RYY but doesn't approve of the way RWX is handling things

clearly we can see that power has already corrupted RWX and in LHC's point of

view that is certainly not an act of a hero.

DFBB may have started this way of addressing him so that none may question YLT

authority given by DFBB, FEAR is the ultimate authority the DFBB and YLT use to

keep everybody in the sect from knowing the truth and that's what RWX id using

now.

LHC is just a simple and humble Hero that's why he disapproves all this nonsense

thanks for the update

agree totally with Single Whip, LHC doesn't love RYY in the same way he does with YLS...LHC will be perfectly okay if he doesnt marry RYY I think

yes, you're right Single Whip. Up to this time of the novel, LHC still doesn't really love Yingying, he only appreciates her kindness toward him.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

I agree with this, even though his heart is slightly moved towards RYY, he still can live happily without her in his life (up to this point at least)

It is nowhere similar to the way GJ or YG felt towards their significant others.

But LHC is also altogether different from the above heroes. He is more fun loving and enjoys to be in a crowded company, drinking eating etc.

He then heard Ren Woxing, being pleased with himself, said loudly, “You were all under Dongfang Bubai before and has done many things for him. I’ve secretly found out what every single one of you has done. But I’m a very open-minded person, so I won’t blame anyone. From today, everyone must be loyal to me then I would treat you well and share all the glory and honour.” In a blink of an eye, the hall was drowned in praises. Everyone was saying chief was just and wise, his heart was open like the ocean, and that a big man doesn’t do what a small man does. They also said they would obey chief’s order completely, be loyal to him, go through fire and water, would not balk at a thousand deaths, and be resolved to do chief’s biddings.

Ren Woxing waited for them to say their praises until they gradually became quiet. Ren Woxing continued, “But if anyone dared to revolt and not listen to my order then I will punish him severely. Whoever commits this sin, then his entire family would be executed.” All of them answered together, “Subordinate would never dare.”

Linghu Chong quivered when he heard these words and was really afraid. He inwardly thought, “Chief Ren is just the same as Dongfang Bubai. He’s using fear to control the sect. Everyone is very deferential towards him even though they’re actually angry and full of rejection in their hearts. How can they be said to be ‘loyal’ to him?”

Some people then started to reveal Dongfang Bubai’s faults to Ren Woxing. They told him that Dongfang Bubai was offended by honesty, how he only listened to Yang Lianting, how he killed many innocent people, how he was selfish in giving gifts and punishments, how he loved to hear praises, and how he ruined the sect. There were also some people who said that he ruined the sect’s customs by giving out the Dark Command Wood to anyone and that he forced people to take the divine three corpse brain pill. Another people said that he drank and ate extravagantly, that every time he ate, he slaughtered three cows, five pigs, and ten sheep.

Linghu Chong thought, "How can one person eat that much? How can he eat three cows, five pigs, and ten sheep? He must've eaten together with his friends and subordinates. How can slaughtering cows and sheep be considered a big sin when Dongfang Bubai was chief?"

But he then heard everyone kept on bringing up Dongfang Bubai's other faults more and more, and each fault was getting even more trivial. Some people scolded him for being very moody; some people scolded him for loving to wear flowery gown and not coming out to meet them. There were also people who said that he was very thin skinned and silly; Another person said that his martial art was lowly, always frightened during battles, and he in fact had no real abilities at all.

Linghu Chong pondered, "You're all scolding Dongfang Bubai for all sorts of things. Even though I don't know whether what you're saying is true or not, I know that when the five of us fought him, we barely escaped alive with our lives and almost lost our lives under his needle. If Dongfang Bubai's martial art were low, then there's no one in this world who has a high martial art. You're really just spouting nonsense." He again heard another person said that Dongfang Bubai was very lewd and just forcefully grabbed any girls he wanted. He had also offended many married women in the sect and had also had many babies from these affairs.

Linghu Chong thought, "Dongfang Bubai had already learned this really strange 'Sunflower Manual' and castrated himself a long time ago. What nonsense of lewd affairs and making lots of babies are you talking about, haha, haha!" He thought till here when he actually laughed really loudly unable to restrain himself any further. This loud laughter was heard from afar. Everyone in the long hall turned their heads around to have a look and glared angrily at him. Yingying knew that he was causing trouble so she quickly rushed over and pulled on his arm. "Brother Chong, there's nothing to hear here, they're only talking about Dongfang Bubai's stuff. Let's go down the cliff and have a look around." Linghu Chong poked his tongue out and laughingly said, "We don't want to make your daddy angry." The two of them walked out of the hall shoulder to shoulder, passed through that white jade decorated archway, and went down using the bamboo baskets.

Thanks pokit and HH

everybody's sucking up to RWX makes me sick hope they die a horible death

( just joking )