Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Smiling Proud Wanderer Chapter 29 onwards

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriouX
    Guess I am not a fan of those 6 brothers, they are annoying, way beyond the point of supposed to be comical.
    Agree. While Zhou Bo Tong in LOCH and ROCH may be considered as comical, these 6 brothers are very 'annoying', especially if you have seen some adaptations. I always wanted to turn off the television whenever they appear.

It's been at least a year. JY mentions the time often but I suppose it doesn't hit home how long the time is. For example, LHC was learning piano for several months. Then he was with "Granny" for a while and brought to Shaolin over a couple of weeks. At Shaolin, it took months before he achieved consciousness and then several more weeks before he was well enough to walk off. LHC also spent over a month under the Lake at Plum manor.

(note: I am severely approximating the times from memory).

I don't have the edited version with me, so I'll post tomorrow.

About the 'fairies', the better translation is actually 'Peach Valley Six Immortals/Deities'. But since 'fairies' been used since the start, I'm just keeping it consistent.

I think LHC stayed around 3 months in prison. But the overall time so far I think is more like 1.5 years already.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodflowers
    Years? I don't think so. It's kinda hard to keep up with time since I've been reading this for a couple of years already, and I don't remember the begining very clearly, but I think only a year or so has passed since Li PingZhi's arrival at Huashan school.

LPZ arrived before LHC was told to stay for 1 year up in Mt Hua, so that means by the time they all left Hua Shan, it seems possible that a maximum of 1 year has passed already. So going from the time they all left Hua Shan, we can possibly add at least another year.

thank you pokit and huang

i am a bit disappointed with LHC when he thinks of delegating the headmaster function to somebody else
    I think when the old nun asked him to take this position, she want him to make the clan a strong clan
    people like RWX,LHC,SHaolin Abbot, are not growing on any tree
    it is a blessing that someone have the talent to excell, i believe

Actually she wanted someone who was able enough to resist ZLC's attempts to merge the 5 clans. She knows LHC is highly skilled, she doesnt want Heng-Shen joining together with the other schools into becomming 1 large school, and she knows LHC is honest and brave and would stand up to help her school.

Afterwards, they immediately sent disciples separately: to Shaolin temple to take back the two Shi Tai's ashes, and to other schools to give notifications. He told all the disciples who were going down the mountain not to publicly announce this matter. He also said, "You must report to the headmaster of each school that we haven't avenged Dingxian Shi Tai's death yet and that the disciples of Heng-Shan School are still in mourning, so there won't be any grand ceremony for the taking up of the headmaster's office. Please ask them not to send anyone to attend the ceremony."

After he talked to the departing disciples, Linghu Chong thought, "Since I'm now the headmaster of Heng-Shan, I must carefully research the sword art of the Heng-Shan School." He gathered the remaining disciples and tested each of their sword art from the basic introductory level martial art to the highest Heng-Shan sword art styles, which was displayed by Yihe and Yiqing, two of the oldest disciples. Linghu Chong saw that the Heng-Shan School's sword art was defensively very tight, and the killing moves were frequently aimed at spots where other people least expected. However, it did not have enough swiftness or ferociousness. These martial arts were really suitable for women. All the previous master generations of Heng-Shan School had all been women, so their martial arts weren't as powerful or fierce like the ones that men used. But Heng-Shan School's sword art could be said to be one of the sword arts with the least amount of flaws in them. If speaking about their defence, they were just slightly below Wudang School's 'Taiji Sword Art'. But talking about how they could suddenly attack, these sword arts were above 'Taiji Sword Art'. Heng-Shan School was one of the most outstanding schools in Wulin, so it had its own unique skills.

In his mind, he carefully went over the drawings engraved on the cave wall on Huashan. There were some Heng-Shan School's sword arts drawn there, which had wonderful variations, and were far above the sword art that Yihe and Yiqing were using. Even though this set of sword art had been defeated by other people, if in the future Heng-Shan School wanted to be glorious in Wulin, then its basic skills needed to be improved. He also thought of the time he saw Dingjing Shi Tai fighting with other people. Her internal energy was abundant and her moves were fierce. She was really very far above Yihe and the other disciples. He had also heard that Dingxian Shi Tai's martial art was even higher. It seemed that the three senior Shi Tai had not imparted a great deal of their martial art to their disciples yet. When the three Shi Tai had successively passed away in the last several months, many of Heng-Shan School's wonderful martial art had possibly been lost forever.

Yihe saw him without any expressions on his face and noticed that he didn't comment on any of the disciples' sword arts. So she said, "Martial brother Headmaster, you must be looking down on our sword art, please give us some advice."

Taking the sword from Yihe's hand, Linghu Chong replied, "There's this set of Heng-Shan School's sword art; I don't know if the three Shi Tai had imparted it to you or not?" and started to show the Heng-Shan School's sword art engraved on the cave wall. He was doing the moves really slowly to let the disciples see it clearly. After a few moves, all the disciples started cheering. They saw that each move of his still contained the basic essence of Heng-Shan's sword art, but the variations were wonderful. They didn't know just how much higher in level this set was when compared to each of the sets they had learnt in the past. Everyone was looking at each move enthusiastically and they felt pleased seeing it. The engraving of this set of sword moves on the cave wall was dead, so when Linghu Chong was using it, he linked them up one by one. In between each move, it was unavoidable that he had to add some of his idea into it. When he finally finished showing them this set of sword art, all the disciples cheered and they all bowed saluting him.

Yihe said, "Martial brother Headmaster, this is clearly our Heng-Shan School's sword art, but we've never seen it before. I'm afraid even my master and the two martial uncles didn't know about this sword art. Where did you learn it?"

Linghu Chong answered, "I saw it on a mountain cave wall. If you are willing to learn it, then how about if I impart this sword art to you?" All the disciples were happy to hear this and they thanked him. That day Linghu Chong imparted three moves to them. He explained the intricacies of those three moves clearly and personally conducted the drills.

Even though it was only three moves from the sword art, these three moves were extremely profound and deep. Even the brightest and the most skilled disciples such as Yihe and Yiqing took seven to eight days to learn it. When it came to Zheng E, Yilin, Qin Juan, and the others, it was even more difficult for them to comprehend it. After nine days, Linghu Chong imparted two more moves to them. There were not many moves in this set of sword arts engraved on the cave wall. But they had actually spent more than one month before they completed the rudimentary training. As to the mastery of this sword art, it depended on each person's ability and comprehension.

After more than a month, the disciples who were sent as emissaries started to return from their trip one by one, and for the most part, they didn't look pleased at all. They were afraid to talk when they reported to Linghu Chong. He knew for sure without asking that they had been ridiculed as a group of nuns wanting a man to be their headmaster. All he could do was console them with words. Then he asked them to separately learn from their martial sisters the sword art he had imparted to them. If there were anything they weren't clear about, then he would personally advise them.

Two experienced disciples, Yu Sao and Yiwen were sent to Huashan to deliver the epistle. The distance between Heng-Shan and Huashan wasn't that far, so they should have returned much earlier. Even when all the disciples who went to the south had returned, Yu Sao and Yiwen still hadn't come back yet. As they neared the sixteenth of the second month, the day for taking up the office, and still hadn't seen any sign of Yu Sao and Yiwen, they sent two more disciples, Yiguang and Yishi, to go to their aid.

The disciples anticipated no sect or school would be sending anyone to attend the ceremony, so they didn't prepare any lodging or food for guests. However, everyone had earlier weeded the ground, swept all the rooms clean, and sewn new gowns and shoes to wear. Zheng E and some disciples had sewn a black gown for Linghu Chong to wear for this day. Heng-Shan was the north mountain among the five mountains and the colour of their uniform was black.

On the morning of the sixteenth of the second month, when Linghu Chong got out after getting out of bed, he saw lamps and festoons hanging from the top of each house, showing the day's happy occasion. Seeing the care and dedication that went into making each of the decoration and securely arranging them, Linghu Chong again felt ashamed, but he also felt appreciation towards them. He thought, "The two Shi Tai died tragically because of me, but they didn't blame me for it. Instead, they gave much regards to me. If Linghu Chong couldn't avenge the three Shi Tai then I'll be a useless person."

Suddenly, he heard someone shouting from behind the corner of the mountain, "A'lin, A'lin, your dad has come to look at you. Are you well? A'lin, your dad's here." His voice was booming, shaking the valley, and before the echo had finished, he again shouted, "A'lin... A'lin... your dad..." Yilin had already heard his voice so she quickly got out of the convent and called out, "Dad, dad!" Then from around the corner of the mountain, a tall and strong monk emerged. It was really Yilin's father, Monk No Commandment, and there was also another monk behind him. The two of them were walking really fast and in a short time had reached the convent. Monk No Commandment loudly exclaimed, "Master Linghu, you didn't die from your heavy injuries, and now you're going to become my daughter's headmaster. That's very good!"

Linghu Chong smiled. "This is thanks to Great Master."

Yilin walked up to her father and lovingly pulled on his arm. She smiled, "Dad, you know today is the day that big brother Linghu officially takes up office as the headmaster of Heng-Shan School. Did you come here to congratulate him?"

No Commandment laughed. "There's no need for congratulation. I'm here to join the Heng-Shan School. Everyone is from the same school, what's there to congratulate?"

Linghu Chong was startled and he quickly asked, "Great Master wants to join Heng-Shan School?"

No Commandment answered, "Yeah. My daughter is in Heng-Shan School. I'm her old man, so naturally I'm also in the Heng-Shan School. His granny, I heard everyone ridiculing you. They're saying that you're a man but you want to become the headmaster of a bunch of nuns and young ladies. His granny, they didn't know that you're full of passion and righteousness. The mind..." His eyebrows turned into a smile and it appeared that he was really happy. He looked at his daughter and said, "Old man punched that guy's mouth and broke all his teeth. I shouted to him, "You little kid knows fart! How can everyone in Heng-Shan School be all nuns and young ladies? Old man is from Heng-Shan School, even though old man has a shiny head, do you think I'm a nun? I'm going to pull my pants down to give you a look!" So I pulled my pants down but this kid fell down and then ran away. Haha, haha!" Linghu Chong and Yilin both laughed freely when they heard this.

Yilin smiled. "Dad, you're so crude in doing things. You're also not afraid of people laughing at you!"

No Commandment replied, "If I didn't let him look clearly, then this kid still wouldn't know whether I'm a nun or a monk. Brother Linghu, I've joined the Heng-Shan School. I've also brought this grand disciple along. Cannot Have No Commandment, quickly greet Headmaster Linghu."

While Monk No Commandment was speaking, the monk following him had his back turned towards them for the whole time, not willing to look at Linghu Chong or Yilin. As he turned around, his face was full of embarrassment. He looked at Linghu Chong and smiled slightly. Linghu Chong felt that this monk looked familiar but he couldn't figure out who he was. Then, he was startled as he unexpectedly recognised the Ten Thousand Miles Loner Tian Boguang. He was totally amazed and blurted out, "It's... it's Brother Tian?"

That monk was really Tian Boguang. He smiled bitterly then bowed towards Yilin. "Greet… greeting Master."

Yilin was also very surprised. "How… how did you become a Buddhist? Is it a disguise?"

Great Master No Commandment was feeling proud of himself and he laughingly answered, "This is the real thing and he's not deceiving anyone here. He had really become a monk. Cannot Have No Commandment, tell your master what your Buddhist name is."

Tian Boguang smiled bitterly and said, "Master, grand Martial Master gave me a Buddhist name called 'Cannot Have No Commandment'."

Yilin asked strangely, "What 'Cannot Have No Commandment'? How can there be such a long name?"

Her father replied, "What do you know? In Buddhist scripture, what does it matter how long the Buddha's name is! 'Buddha of Compassion and Sorrow Helps the Distressed and Watches the World's Voice', isn't that name long? 'Cannot Have No Commandment' only has four words in his name, how can that be long?"

Yilin nodded. "So that's how it is. How did he become a Buddhist? Dad, was it you who took him as your disciple?"

No Commandment answered, "No. He's your disciple; I'm his grand martial grandpa. But you're only a little nun and since he had already paid his respect to take you as his master, if he didn't become a monk, then he would've ruined the good name of Heng-Shan School. That's why I advised him to become a monk."

Yilin laughingly said, "What do you mean advised him? Dad, you must've forced him to become a Buddhist, didn't you?"

"He voluntarily did it; you can't force someone to become a Buddhist. Whatever goodness this person has, there's an equal amount of badness in him. That's why I gave him the Buddhist name of 'Cannot Have No Commandment'."

Yilin's face became slightly red as she understood the meaning behind her father's words. This Tian Boguang was a very lecherous person and he was somehow captured by her father in the past. At that time, his life was spared but a lot of strange punishments were heaped on him. This time, it seemed that he had been forced to become a monk.

Then No Commandment continued, "My Buddhist name is No Commandment, so I don't adhere to any rules or commandments. But this Tian Boguang has committed a lot of bad things in Jianghu. If he didn't abstain from committing more of these piles of misdemeanours, how can he be under your school and become your disciple? Master Linghu wouldn't have liked this also. In the future, he's going to receive my alms bowl; that's why his name also has the words 'No Commandment'."

They suddenly heard a person said, "Monk No Commandment and Monk Cannot Have No Commandment are both joining the Heng-Shan School. The Peach Valley Six Fairies are also going to join Heng-Shan School."

The Peach Valley Six Fairies had come and the one who spoke just then was Peachtree Trunk Fairy.

Peachtree Root Fairy said, "We were the first people to see Linghu Chong, so the six of us are big martial brothers, while Monk No Commandment is little martial brother."

Linghu Chong thought, "Since there are Great Master No Commandment and Tian Boguang in Heng-Shan School already, there's no harm in accepting the Peach Valley Six Fairies as well. This way, it'll remove those talks in Jianghu about Linghu Chong becoming the headmaster of a group of nuns and young ladies." He then said, "Peachtree Six brothers are willing to enter the Heng-Shan School, then that's really good then. But it's very troublesome to arrange the seniority order one by one so it's better if we just leave it alone!"

Peachtree Leaf Fairy said, "No Commandment's disciple is called Cannot Have No Commandment. When in the future, Cannot Have No Commandment accepts a disciple, what will his Buddhist name be?"

Peachtree Fruit Fairy answered, "Cannot Have No Commandment's disciple's Buddhist name must also have the words 'Cannot Have No Commandment'. He can be called, 'Without Doubt Cannot Have No Commandment'."

Peachtree Branch Fairy said, "Then the disciple of 'Without Doubt Cannot Have No Commandment'; what would his Buddhist name be?"

Linghu Chong saw Tian Boguang's plight so he took his arm and led him away. "I have a few words to ask you."

"Alright," Tian Boguang answered.

The two of them quickened their steps and moved tens of feet away. But behind them, they still heard Peachtree Trunk Fairy saying, "His Buddhist name can be 'With Reason and Without Doubt Cannot Have No Commandment'."

Peachtree Flower Fairy added, "Then how about disciple of 'With Reason and Without Doubt Cannot Have No Commandment'? What would his Buddhist name be?"

Tian Boguang smiled bitterly and said, "Headmaster Linghu, that day I was forced by Grand Martial Master to go to Huashan to invite you to come and see the little Shi Tai. But there's a long story behind that."

Linghu Chong said, "I know that he forced you to take a poison, and he also tricked you by saying that he'd already sealed your death acupoint."

"I've already told you about that before. That day in the courtyard of the Jade House, I fought with that shorty Yu. After that, I thought about it and decided that there were too many heroes from the orthodox path for me to stay there for long. So I went north towards Hunan. I'm ashamed to talk about those days. My shortcoming became visible not long after. In Kaifeng prefecture, I sneaked into the room of a rich family's young lady in the middle of the night. I lifted the mosquito net and extended my hands to cop a feel, but I unexpectedly felt a bald head instead."

Linghu Chong laughed and said, "So to your surprise, she's a nun."

Tian Boguang smiled bitterly. "No, it was a monk."

Linghu Chong laughed loudly. "The young lady was inside the quilt sleeping with a monk. Never thought that this young lady would've stolen a man, and the man she'd stolen would be a monk."

Tian Boguang shook his head and said, "That's not it! That monk was Grand Martial Master. Originally, Grand Martial Master was looking for me. When he finally tracked my trail down, he found me at Kaifeng prefecture. That afternoon I was spying around that house and Grand Martial Master saw me. He guessed that I was up to no good, so he talked to that family and told that young lady to get out of trouble. Then he slept on that bed waiting for me."

Linghu Chong laughed. "Brother Tian must have really suffered this time."

the peach fairies in heng-shan school ???? I'm going to have a heart attack !!!

no, give me a gun, I'm gonna kill those ~###!§§

no, calm down...

pfff that is the most shocking thing I ever read in a JY novel.

Peiiiii It turned out that Tian Boguang fell in to No Commandment great monk's trap.
    What so terrible happened to him that an evil rapist like him became a monk? That must have been so funny.

you forgot to say : a rapist becoming a monk IN A NUNS TEMPLE !!! that is dangerous.

Uh, I think Tian Boguang lost more than just his hair when he became a monk.

LOL...i didn't think of that o.O

i wonder if tian boguang can redeem himself in the world now - hopefully so, he seems like a good guy that just really can't control himself

Interesting how LHC apparently believes that the sword art of Hengshan School is better than Taiji Sword (just a little worse in defense, but better in offense). I believed that Taiji Sword was significantly better than the sword skills of other schools in general.

Maybe LHC is still too hung up on variations and exquisiteness and doesn't grasp how Taiji Sword goes beyond that.

I think that comparison between taiji sword art and Heng-Shan sword art was done by the narrator. But it kinda does make sense, doesn't it? If the sword art concentrates on defense most of the time then the offense wouldn't be as good, and vice versa.

It just depends on the intention on what you're going to do with the sword. If you're mainly thinking of defending then you're prob not going to be thinking too much of attacking.

I think it may be Chongxu who could not see beyond variations and exquisiteness.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

I could just imagine those crazy monks joining a bunch of nuns

i feel sorry for the Heng-Shan school or it could be one helluva party

thanks again pokit ang hhuang

Quote Originally Posted by efflix
    LOL...i didn't think of that o.O

i wonder if tian boguang can redeem himself in the world now - hopefully so, he seems like a good guy that just really can't control himself

Dont forget, Wudang's real martial arts is still their unarmed combat.

Quote Originally Posted by line7
    Dont forget, Wudang's real martial arts is still their unarmed combat.
    ops, quote wrongly.

Tian Boguang smiled bitterly. "Does that need saying? When I rubbed Grand Martial Master's head, I already knew something's not right. Then I felt my stomach felt numb because he hit my acupoint there. Grand Martial Master jumped out of the bed and lighted a lamp. Then he asked me whether I want to die or live. I know that for my whole life I've been doing evil things, so there would be one day when I'd have a reckoning. So I quickly said, 'I want to die!'. Grand Martial Master thought that this was really strange so he asked me: 'Why do you want to die?' I said: 'I wasn't being careful and was captured by you. How can I still hope to live?' Grand Martial Master gave me a blank expression then indignantly said, 'You said you were captured by me only because you weren't careful. So you are implying that if you were a bit more careful, then I wouldn't be able to capture you. Alright!' As he said 'alright', he released my acupoint. Then I sat down and asked him: 'What is your order?' He said: 'You have a knife on your belt, how come you're not using it to chop me? You have two legs underneath your body, how come you're not jumping out of the window to escape?' I said: 'I'm a gentleman, how can I act like a shameless nobody?' He just laughed loudly and said: 'You're not a shameless nobody? You already paid respect to my daughter to take her as your master and yet how come you're disclaiming it?' I thought this was really strange so I asked: 'Your daughter?' He answered: 'On the top floor of that wine shop, you made a bet with that youngster from Huashan School. Saying that whoever lost would take my daughter as master. Could it be that it's all fake? I went up Heng-Shan to look for my daughter, and she told me everything from the beginning to the end.' I said: 'So that's how it is. That little nun is your daughter, that's really weird.' He asked: 'What's weird about that?'"

Linghu Chong laughed. "This matter really is quite strange. Other people become a monk after they've gotten a daughter, but Great Master No Commandment became a monk first before getting a daughter. His Buddhist name is called No Commandment. It means he won't comply with any rules or commandments."

Tian Boguang said, "That's right. At that time, I said: 'That bet was only a trick, how could you take it as real? You're not wrong that I lost the fight in that bet, so I won't bother your daughter anymore.' Grand Martial Master then said: 'That won't do. You already said that you're going to take her as master, so you must take her as your master. You cannot not take my daughter as a master. I can't let anyone bully my own daughter. I spent a lot of effort to find you. You're very slippery and if it weren't for you committing these rapes, then it would've been really difficult to capture you.'

I saw him getting muddled and not speaking clearly, so I quickly used my 'Three Cloud Steps' and jumped out of the window. I thought that once I've used my lightness martial art, Grand Martial Master would definitely not be able to keep up with me. But I was surprised when I heard footsteps behind me because Grand Martial Master had chased me down. I called out: 'Big monk, you didn't kill me just then, so I won't kill you either. If you kept on chasing then I won't be polite anymore.' Grand Martial Master laughed loudly and said: 'How do you become impolite?' I pulled my knife out, turned around, and chopped down on him. But Grand Martial Master's martial art is really high. He only used his palms to trade moves with me. I didn't know how to use my fast knife to chop him, and after more than forty moves, he grabbed the back of my neck and snatched my knife away.

Then he asked me: 'Give up yet?' I said: 'I give up, you can kill me now!' He said: 'What's the use of killing you? Would it make my daughter alive again?' I was startled so I asked: 'Little Shi Tai is dead?' He said: 'She hasn't died yet, but she's as good as dead. I saw her at Heng-Shan and she was so thin that I can even see her bones. I cried when I saw her, and then I slowly asked her what happened. It was you who harmed her.' I said: 'If you wanted to kill me then kill me. Tian Boguang is an honest person and would never tell lies. I was rude to your daughter at first, but she was saved by Huashan School's Linghu Chong. I didn't violate her; she's still a young lady as pure as jade.' Grand Martial Master said: 'Your granny, what's the use of being as pure as jade? My daughter is lovesick; if Linghu Chong won't take her as his wife, she wouldn't continue on living. But when I mentioned this to her, my daughter scolded me. She said something like Buddhists cannot have worldly desires; otherwise Buddha reproaches them and when you die you enter the eighteenth level of Hell.' Suddenly he clutched my neck and scolded me, 'Stinky kid, this is all your doing. If you weren't being rude to my daughter that day then Linghu Chong wouldn't have to come and save her. Then my daughter wouldn't have become that thin.' I said: 'That's not for certain. Little Shi Tai's beauty is like a goddess, even if I weren't being rude to her that day, Linghu Chong would certainly have come up with another reason to approach her'."

Linghu Chong scowled and said, "Brother Tian, what you said was too much."

Tian Boguang laughed and said, "I'm sorry to offend you. At that time, the situation was desperate. If I didn't say that, Grand Martial Master would never have released me. Sure enough, when he heard this, he turned from angry to happy and said: 'Stinky kid, think for yourself how many bad things you have done in your lifetime? If it weren't for the discourteous way you treated my daughter, I would've flattened your head a long time ago.'"

Linghu Chong felt this was very odd, so he asked, "He's happy you're being rude to her daughter?"

Tian Boguang answered, "He wasn't being happy, he was praising my foresight."

it isn't very exciting reminishing the past. will there be a fight soon ? heheh

thanks again pokit and hhuang

hope the next chapters will be much more exciting